Being Requested to Get Whooping Cough Vaccine to Hold Infant

Hey, TVguy.... different subject, but I have a huge problem with all of those people, even complete strangers, who think they are actually ENTITLED to be able to access, hold, play with, somebody else's baby, like the baby is their personal toy baby doll.

My oldest had a reaction to the pertussis vaccine but it was before they were giving the acellular variant. When they started giving the new vaccine, I was told she shouldn't get that one either. So, yes. She's not fully inoculated.

LOL, I just had this image of pertussis going around..
"Hey, Bob, don't infect Lydia. She's got a low immune system because of a transplant. Go over there to Frank, and jump on in. His mom was a crazy anti-vaxxer."

Y'all hear there is a measles outbreak in Minnesota? Unvaccinated refuges. 46 out of the 48 known cases are children under 10.
In 2014, 2 years olds were at a 90% vaccination rate there. With the refuges, it's 40%.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/wh...-nearly-30-years/ar-BBAWDFG?OCID=ansmsnnews11

Actually, as far as I know, in order to come to the US as a refugee or migrant, you need to be fully vaccinated. Heck, I had to get all my vaccines again, when I moved to Canada from the US as a nine year old, despite having been fully vaccinated in the US and having the paperwork to prove it.

This isn't a "refugee" problem, it's a problem within the Somali community, who've been in North America for over a generation. The majority of them arrived in the late 1990's, when civil war broke out in Somalia. Many of them have bought into the anti-vaccine nonsense, and as a result are choosing to either not vaccinate their American-born children, or delay their vaccinations until they are school aged.

These are not "unvaccinated refugees", these are unvaccinated American citizens.

There needs to be a public heath outreach campaign within the community, in order to counter the isolationist fear and paranoia around vaccines that's developed. It's complicated, and there is a lot more to the issue than just "vaccines cause autism". There have been rumours that the free vaccines donated to African countries were a plot by the American gov't to make black people sterile. My mum actually heard the same ugly rumour in Pakistan, which is also having vaccine compliance issues.

I don't understand the blow-back against being asked to get the vaccine, heck, if I found out I wasn't protected against whooping cough, I would run out to get the vaccine pronto! Not just because I would respect the wishes of the new mom, but mostly because I wouldn't want to risk getting whooping cough. That would be awful! If you don't care about the mom, and think the baby doesn't deserve to be protected from whooping cough because its mother smokes, at least be selfish and think of your own health.

My daughter is adopted from a country where children die of diseases we don't even think about here. Some people don't realize how fortunate we are here to have vaccines readily available. They wear off though and many older adults are at risk of transmitting disease to vulnerable babies.

I don't think there's anything wrong with letting people know they need to be current on vaccines to hold an infant.

Don't want to get a shot don't expect to get close to the baby. Pretty simple.

From a practical standpoint, given that the Whooping Cough vaccine has pretty much been required for 70 years, someone would have to make an effort (or their parents did) not to get it.

It's true, the majority of people should have gotten the vaccine as children. But that fact isn't particularly relevant to the discussion. Our immunity wanes over times, so all adults (most eapecially those around young children) should get a booster.

https://www.cdc.gov/pertussis/about/faqs.html

Chiming in as an ER nurse that watched a baby stop breathing while I was triaging it - and was later found to have pertussis which caused the respiratory arrest! This was just in the last 6 months, the disease is out there and is dangerous. If the mother feels strongly about anyone that holds the child need to be up to date on the immunization then her opinion should be respected or don't visit them!

Hey, TVguy.... different subject, but I have a huge problem with all of those people, even complete strangers, who think they are actually ENTITLED to be able to access, hold, play with, somebody else's baby, like the baby is their personal toy baby doll.

I would have an issue with that too.

Most folks get Tdap, which is the booster, at about age 19.
It only lasts about ten years and the first two are the most effective. When I got my last tetanus shot I insisted on the tdap even though my doctor said I didn't need it because I had whooping cough five years prior (I was vaccinated for it up until college). But now it looks like it was a smart decision

Most folks get Tdap, which is the booster, at about age 19.

I haven't heard of people getting that or it being recommended at that age specifically. There doesn't seem to be a CDC recommendation that specifies that age. Possibly it's regional? If we all did though that would be GREAT!

I got the Tdap in 2009 from my OB/GYN office - they were specifically asking people of they were regularly around young children. At that time I did home visits with families with children birth to five years so I was definitely a good candidate! Love all this conversation about protecting babies, and I love that the vast majority of posters would be all about getting the vaccine to protect the little ones in their life!

I haven't heard of people getting that or it being recommended at that age specifically. There doesn't seem to be a CDC recommendation that specifies that age. Possibly it's regional? If we all did though that would be GREAT!

I got the Tdap in 2009 from my OB/GYN office - they were specifically asking people of they were regularly around young children. At that time I did home visits with families with children birth to five years so I was definitely a good candidate! Love all this conversation about protecting babies, and I love that the vast majority of posters would be all about getting the vaccine to protect the little ones in their life!
Just looked. This is the CDC recommendation.

CDC recommends whooping cough vaccination for:

• Babies and children
  • Preteens and teens
  • Pregnant women
  • Adults
https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/pertussis/index.html

hmmmm, i didn't know this....now i can see why they are requesting it

The area I live in has had at least two infant deaths in the past 5 years due to whooping cough. Two is enough for me to understand the request for the vaccination.

Wow, where to begin. Let's start with the whopping cough vaccine. I'll share my experience from the other side. I had my first almost four years ago and I, dh and all grandparents got the whooping cough vaccine at my request. If they didn't, they didn't have to hold or be near my newborn. Their call. Whooping cough can be fatal to a newborn.

Now, don't even get me started on the no vaccines and really don't get me started on the mother to be still smoking while pregnant. There really are no words...that I can say on here...about that. She's worried about the potential of whooping cough yet she still smokes while pregnant and is 100% causing damage to her baby. ***.
Just to be clear... smoking while pregnant happened for more then one generation (still around). Although it is certainly better that they don't, to say it is 100% causing damage to the baby is erroneous. It can, but, it isn't going to be a sure thing. As I said, many millions of people were born to mothers that smoked AND drank during pregnancy and they are and have been, in many cases, healthier then todays batch of the germ free generation.

PS... but we all were vaccinated. Had polio shots as well when they were brand new.

For me yes just because I don't want a bunch of people coming over. lol I feel like doing it on FB is an open invitation to everyone on my friends list to come visit. I would probably send a group text with 10-15 people (yes a group text but still not 100+ FB friends) and leave it at that. I personally don't like tons of people visiting me on a regular basis let alone after I've given birth.

I do agree that SMIL should've contacted DIL separately about all the extras.
You can limit who sees the post. I'd rather a social media post that a group text, personally. Though if it's important they might want to follow up to make sure the people they want to see it have.

You can limit who sees the post. I'd rather a social media post that a group text, personally. Though if it's important they might want to follow up to make sure the people they want to see it have.

Ah ok. I don't have FB.

Just to be clear... smoking while pregnant happened for more then one generation (still around). Although it is certainly better that they don't, to say it is 100% causing damage to the baby is erroneous. It can, but, it isn't going to be a sure thing. As I said, many millions of people were born to mothers that smoked AND drank during pregnancy and they are and have been, in many cases, healthier then todays batch of the germ free generation.

PS... but we all were vaccinated. Had polio shots as well when they were brand new.
There are lots of dangerous things people did while pregnant or to their kids in past generations. It doesn't mean that with all of the education available today we shouldn't strive to do better for our children.

Is something 100% guaranteed to go wrong if I smoke while I'm pregnant? Maybe not, but why take that chance?

I'm also going to add that my mom passed of lung cancer, so you could say I'm sensitive to the subject. Who by the way, smoked as a teen and had quit over 35 years prior. But you know what...the damage was already done and didn't show its ugly head until 35-40 years later.

So because not everyone was seriously affected, is it supposed to be ok or something?

My mom didn't have me in a car seat as a child. Does that mean I shouldn't have used them for mine? I mean, I survived without one.....

So where's your scientific backup for your quote that kids of parents who smoked and drank were healthier than today's kids?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter