Beating the Heat, Which Shows and Attractions?

At MK:
And you can go into any quick service location and just sit down and rest. You don't have to buy anything. You can definitely just buy a drink if you want. We did that a couple of weeks ago.

I don't know about other QS locations, but when we were at Satu'li in May, they had signs saying you could not sit down at the tables unless you had purchased something, and they actually had a CM standing with a rope to get to the inside A/C table section and you could not get there unless you had ordered something.

I don't know about other QS locations, but when we were at Satu'li in May, they had signs saying you could not sit down at the tables unless you had purchased something, and they actually had a CM standing with a rope to get to the inside A/C table section and you could not get there unless you had ordered something.

That's pretty much all the time at Satu'li.
It's seasonal at the MK. And during peak times they often won't let you sit til food is in your hands. We've encountered this many times at Pecos Bills and Pinocchio Haus during summer and holidays.

That's pretty much all the time at Satu'li.
It's seasonal at the MK. And during peak times they often won't let you sit til food is in your hands. We've encountered this many times at Pecos Bills and Pinocchio Haus during summer and holidays.

Good to know as I have only seen this at Satu'li. And the CM there was very strict about the policy. We were eating there, so it was good for us. We don't travel summers or Holidays, so that's probably why I haven't seen it at other locations. Maybe another reason not to.

Imma be honest here OP, I'm usually the first to tell people not to let the heat discourage a summer visit to WDW. But for someone who already doesn't do well, early Sept is a total beast. :scared:

I just got back from a very brief trip with only two park days. The heat was pretty brutal both days, but we found that it is much more manageable at Epcot than MK. All of Epcot's attractions are indoors, and Future World's are not spread out too terribly far. It seems like you don't go very far before reaching some shade and/or a shop or something with the doors wide open and AC pouring out. You could go into the Land pavilion, ride Soarin' and Living with the Land and then have a meal at Sunshine Seasons and literally be in there for an hour or more. The Seas pavilion has the Nemo ride and Turtle Talk, plus you can just wander around and look at the fish. Over at the Imagination pavilion you can ride Figment then go around the corner and do the Pixar film festival, which is a nice break. Around the World Showcase you've got the pyramid in Mexico with the Gran Fiesta boat ride and the little marketplace to explore. Also, if you want to eat lunch at La Cantina de San Angel (Mexico's quick service), they do offer indoor seating for lunch in the La Hacienda de San Angel restaurant (at least they did when we were there). The American Adventure show is long and has comfy seating, and you can sit on a bench in the rotunda for a break while waiting for Voices of Liberty. France's movie is seated and a nice respite from the heat.

We basically didn't feel overwhelmed by the heat at all at Epcot, and we were there from rope drop until closing.

Now Magic Kingdom is another story. The others have mentioned the best choices. We left the park and took the boat to the Grand Floridian. If you're interested in a quieter quick service and nice escape from the heat and hectic crowds of MK, take a boat to the Grand and eat lunch at Gasparilla's. Then go explore the lobby, there are a few shops or you can just sit on one of the couches and relax. We actually found a nice little quiet place up on the second floor where Citricos is. There are tables at Citricos' lounge area. We sat at one of those, there was an outlet nearby and I charged my phone and there was a window overlooking the pool area. The place wasn't even open, so it was very quiet, one other person was at a table just messing on their phone.

I can't speak to Hollywood Studios much, but they have a lot of shows, so finding places to sit in the AC and relax should be fairly easy there.

Animal Kingdom, to me, is the hottest and most draining of the parks. I love it, but you walk yourself to death and it's so dang hot. Nemo, Lion King, and Bug's Life all come to mind. The bird show (now it's the Up bird show, I think) doesn't have AC, but it is shaded if I remember correctly. Sometimes just getting out of the sun does wonders.

Would we Each have to get something and would a drink count? Because mostly I would want to get him a cool drink so he can sit still for a few minutes, cool down, and hydrate. If we Both have to have a drink that's like $7 every time he needs a ten minute heart break! Seriously, I know they are a business, but do they WANT people to have heat exhaustion? For him this happens a lot quicker than it does for me.

I do not remember the length but would like to add Enchanted Tiki Room at MK to the list.

Don't over look the "rest area" at Innoventions West (behind the Character Spot) - there are tables and chairs and I think charging stations now? I've used that many a time for a popcorn break and to escape the heat and/or rain. (People used to just sit on the floor in that empty space so they put tables and chairs in, which is very nice.)

Don't over look the "rest area" at Innoventions West (behind the Character Spot) - there are tables and chairs and I think charging stations now? I've used that many a time for a popcorn break and to escape the heat and/or rain. (People used to just sit on the floor in that empty space so they put tables and chairs in, which is very nice.)

Good idea

In the Morocco pavilion, there's a quiet tiled courtyard with a fountain and some benches along the walls that was shady and surprisingly cool at 3 pm on a sunny day. I don't think it actually has AC but it was very relaxing to sit there and rehydrate for a while.

Your DH sounds like mine!

The usual QS locations we hit up when it's super hot outside:
AK: Restaurantosaurus (haven't had a chance to go to Satu'li)
EPCOT: Liberty Inn
HS: Backlot Express
MK: Pinocchio's or Cosmic Rays

We're very picky eaters and I don't think any of these are the best food on property, but that's where we sit down, eat, and cool off on the cheaper side.

We gave up on mid day breaks after our first try, as they just take so much time, and the amount of real "break" we got out of them was relatively little compared to the time and effort that went into them.

Instead, we use the cool attractions / shows, and leisurely dining approach for our "break."

In MK we like Monsters Inc, Hall of Presidents, Carousel of Progress, the Enchanted Tiki Room, and The Country Bear Jamboree for a cool down. Leisurely lunch at Columbia Harbor House, or Cosmic Rays also helps, and then usually a Table Service supper where we again take our time. If we find ourselves overheated between shows and meals, a bit of shopping anywhere in the park will bring with it a pleasant break from the sweltering heat. It is also worth noting that frequently, if you find that you are really feeling the heat, it is a warning that you are dehydrated to some extent. Cool off in some AC by all means, but also drink some water, vitamin water, or sports drink to re-hydrate, and replenish electrolytes that you've lost sweating.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter