BCV or Riviera?

twinkles777

Earning My Ears
Hello! I have a trip planned for the end of the month with my parents. We wanted to get away from the cold for a bit and decided to go with Disney. Currently, we have reservations for a 2 bedroom villa preferred view at Riviera. We did stay there last year in a one bedroom with an adjoining standard. I really liked the style and feel of the resort, but the stay wasn’t perfect. My mom had issues sleeping because she couldn’t turn off the fan in the bathroom and could hear it, and the heat in my room didn’t work at all. Maintenance visited twice without fixing the issue (and they were there a long time). It was February and it was a little too chilly at night for me. I figured the resort has just opened a month or so before and there were kinks to be worked out. I did tell the desk, but there was no follow up on any of it at the end of the trip. But, like I said, I really do like the vibe there and hope those issues have been dealt with.

I was browsing the website again and checked out BCV. There is a 2 bedroom available that is a bit cheaper (it would be around $1000 less total). The money isn’t a huge issue, but can’t say it’s not helpful. I have only stayed at the Riviera onsite, so not sure what to expect from a different location. The ability to walk to Epcot or HS is a plus, although we don’t mind the skyliner. We probably won’t visit AK or MK this time, so the Epcot area is fine for us. Last year was the first time I had visited as an adult (I’m in my late 30s), so I’m still catching up on a lot information. My mom really likes the in room laundry, and it looks like both places have that in the villas. My dad does like to walk a lot, but he is fine with taking the skyliner somewhere to go for a stroll. I do admit I like higher-end hotels and the BCV does look nice. We will be staying at the resort or in the area of the resort this trip, so the room won’t just be a place to sleep. I hope to relax there.

So, should I switch? I’m not worried about the technical issues from before, but maybe a new place would be fun. I am a little bit of a creature of habit, so the familiar is comforting. My parents really don’t care either way, so they’re not too helpful. Lol

Any advice or perspective would be much appreciated! Thanks so much!

I’m a creature of habit too - I know what I like and tend to stick to it - but I also don’t like to stay two times in a row at the same place at WDW. Staying at new places helps build different experiences around property, gives fresh insight into things you may like or not like, things you may never have even thought about that are important to you in a resort - experiences you can use to help with decisions on future trips. (Said as someone who stayed at Poly like 4-5 times in a row when we first started going to WDW and had a real hard time breaking out of that routine)

Given everything you describe - relaxation, your dad liking to walk, a resort and resort-area focused trip - BCV seems like a good choice to me.

Hello! I have a trip planned for the end of the month with my parents. We wanted to get away from the cold for a bit and decided to go with Disney. Currently, we have reservations for a 2 bedroom villa preferred view at Riviera. We did stay there last year in a one bedroom with an adjoining standard. I really liked the style and feel of the resort, but the stay wasn’t perfect. My mom had issues sleeping because she couldn’t turn off the fan in the bathroom and could hear it, and the heat in my room didn’t work at all. Maintenance visited twice without fixing the issue (and they were there a long time). It was February and it was a little too chilly at night for me. I figured the resort has just opened a month or so before and there were kinks to be worked out. I did tell the desk, but there was no follow up on any of it at the end of the trip. But, like I said, I really do like the vibe there and hope those issues have been dealt with.

I was browsing the website again and checked out BCV. There is a 2 bedroom available that is a bit cheaper (it would be around $1000 less total). The money isn’t a huge issue, but can’t say it’s not helpful. I have only stayed at the Riviera onsite, so not sure what to expect from a different location. The ability to walk to Epcot or HS is a plus, although we don’t mind the skyliner. We probably won’t visit AK or MK this time, so the Epcot area is fine for us. Last year was the first time I had visited as an adult (I’m in my late 30s), so I’m still catching up on a lot information. My mom really likes the in room laundry, and it looks like both places have that in the villas. My dad does like to walk a lot, but he is fine with taking the skyliner somewhere to go for a stroll. I do admit I like higher-end hotels and the BCV does look nice. We will be staying at the resort or in the area of the resort this trip, so the room won’t just be a place to sleep. I hope to relax there.

So, should I switch? I’m not worried about the technical issues from before, but maybe a new place would be fun. I am a little bit of a creature of habit, so the familiar is comforting. My parents really don’t care either way, so they’re not too helpful. Lol

Any advice or perspective would be much appreciated! Thanks so much!

Yes, switch! I've stayed at both and, while RIV was lovely (loved the rooms), the location of BCV cannot be beat. I found RIV to be a bit inconvenient with the Skyliner going down occasionally and I felt the food options were a bit limited. I also found the pool complex to be a little boring. You will have so much more within walking distance from BCV - EP, DHS (if you choose to walk), a ton of food and restaurant options, plus the BC QS option is super close as is the resort bus stop. The quiet pool is also just steps away. Yes, you will have in-room laundry in the BCV villa plus a full kitchen. I would definitely switch from RIV to BCV. Plus the big $$ savings is a bonus!

We love BCV! The location is amazing, the feel of the resort is amazing and the option to walk to EPCOT and HS is so nice. Plus being right near the Boardwalk if you want to walk around at night or whenever.

We own at BCV and stayed in a 1 bedroom preferred view at RIV last October. Since you mention you will be spending time in the room (not just sleeping) I wonder how important is the balcony view? BCV is limited because it is behind the main building. You could get a view of the quiet pool, woods or might be looking at a road. The preferred view at RIV was wonderful and DH spent alot of time out there.

We own at BCV and stayed in a 1 bedroom preferred view at RIV last October. Since you mention you will be spending time in the room (not just sleeping) I wonder how important is the balcony view? BCV is limited because it is behind the main building. You could get a view of the quiet pool, woods or might be looking at a road. The preferred view at RIV was wonderful and DH spent alot of time out there.
Oh, that is a good point! I did love the balcony!

I’d pocket the $1000 and stay at BCV. The only transportation you’ll be relying on is your feet. And you could still jump on the skyliner to visit RIV. Win-win

Another vote for BCV. We loved it when we stayed in October. So quiet. We spent a lot of time in the room or hotel. We over looked the pool and sat on our balcony nightly. Just relaxing and a nice vibe.

Thank you all for the input! We decided to switch to BVC to try a new place out. I'm sure I will miss some things about the Riviera, but it will be good to explore. I'm sure we will be back again to try another place!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter