Bawb's POP review,my stays there-add yours

miss missy

Is this the Dis Board Desperate Housewives?!
Thanks Bawb! I just want to say it was pretty much right on. I have stayed there 5 times in 3 years, 7-10 days at a time and will be again in May. So I guess I have over 40 days there by now. The months were, Nov week after Thanksgiving, Dec week after xmas, May-Mother's Day, August-3rd week-free dining and October-over Halloween. I have found Bob's review very good. The only thing I didn't experience is the smell of the room, thank god!

I thought we could all add our reviews too and see if we all have had a somewhat same experience.

I always stay in preferred, never bottom floor, usually fl 3 or 4. Although it can get noisy with the kids in the pool in the am. We always stay out till 1-3am(we always close a park or DTD shopping , and at that late hour, we always seeing the cleaning crews, pools, floors, walls of hotel, lobby etc. :thumbsup2 so I can tell you they keep the place tip top.

The pool is always open when we come in at 2-3am, just no life gaurds. It is usually a few people in it or empty, but open.

The food court is ok. Yes the breakfast is BUSY after 9am. The food is not stocked so Bawb was right on that by 12am there isnt much there.

The CM's like Bawb said are kinda just workers. There was a couple at check in that were ok, a couple in the store were ok. The mousekeeping is ok, I always try to meet them and usually do since we leave so late each day, like noon, so they are around. I do tip them. I always get towel animals and I think like Bawd said, being a guy alone they may not do it, but when they see DD's souviners around, I think they leave them because if her.

We are the type that do not spend time at the hotel. We sleep and go out. No pool time, we are always on the go. So we save $$ by going to the value. I stayed ay ASM which was ok too, but I like that POP was newer and that is has it's own buses. Last I knew, the 3 All Stars shared buses and I hated that. The past 3 trips I have gotten a rental car, so I am not up on the Pop buses now- but when I did use them on past trips, they were no problem at all. Except at MK I think, the darn pickup is way at the end... long walk to it.

Oh and on Halloween, we were there before we left for the MNSSHP and POP did a great party. They had music, dancing-a costume parade around the pool area. They had Goofy there too! It was a great thing they did for FREE! I was leaving, but walked through and it looked fun.

Just my 2 cents, maybe others can add theirs too.

My last two stays were at POP I really enjoy this resort :goodvibes

I find the Food court to be good.... yeah maybe not the best food in the world but still good. the family environment is so nice here I know you get this feeling at all the resorts but for some reason at POP it is just nice and relaxed.

I agree that the theme in the rooms is toned down but I find that if your room were anywhere near the theme out side it might be a little like Kevin's room in Italy.;) ;)

over all I love POP and if I weren't now a DVC member I would have many more trips planned at this resort

I am like miss missy not at the resort too often except to sleep...

I have seriously mixed emotions about Pop. We have stayed there 6 times now. We've found when it's just the two of us staying there during low season it has been ok. When the kids come and we go during the Summer forget about it. It's so busy and stressful to me that we just don't enjoy it like we do a more relaxed resort like POR or AKL. I do love that it doesn't share busses.

I think the food court has a good selection of items and everything we've gotten has been pretty good. It's a relaxing place to eat when it's not crazy busy too. Even in the Summer there has been enough seating at the pools as well.

I agree with the thought that the CM's seem more like just workers there. We've had a few different issues that I really feel would have been handled differently at an alternate resort. It was almost an "oh well" attitude.

Something else that I really don't blame on Pop or the CMs is that during the busy times the food court areas always seem trashed. There would be 2-3 CMs working on cleaning but they just couldn't keep up. It always amazed me how guests trash the areas, it's like there is no pride in where you're staying. I guess that sounds weird, but I'm of the mind you have a responsibilty to clean up after yourself even if you're on vacation.

Ok, I'm done. ;)

We are staying at POP the third week in Augus for four nights. I very excited about staying on property. This past February we stayed at All Star Sports for three nights and that was our first on property experience and we all enjoyed it. Although we dont spend much time at the hotels, we still love the feeling of being in Disney World even when not at the parks.

We need to try a moderate resort stay next just to see if its worth the extra expense. I think we'll choose Port Orleans thanks to the Martins in depth review.

Via iPhone

My family has stayed @ POP four times now and it's been fine. Our first stay was in the 70's section, then second was the 80's, and the third and fourth were in the 90's. I was less than thrilled with the last two locations...but I'm not the type to stand at the counter and pitch a fit until I get my way. I figure someone has to stay in those buildings and I guess it was just our turn. Actually I've mentioned in previous threads that it has turned into a joke about how could they possibly place us any further away (I swear -- we all use deodorant!). We've determined there are only about 10 rooms that would meet the distance requirement and will probably burst into laughter if we are assigned one of them in the future. What can I say...just trying to make lemonade here!!!

We really enjoy the food court as there's always something for everyone. We also like the gift shop and pools. Our only concern with POP is the size of the rooms. We started there when our kids were smaller. Now they are both teens and it gets a bit crowded. So any future stays will probably require two rooms. One other downside is the beds -- they are the hardest mattresses I have ever slept on! So keep that in mind if your back can't handle sleeping on a concrete slab all night. :lmao:

We love POP Century. :banana: We are a family of 3. DD and a I are pretty small so we don't have a problem with the small beds or rooms. We have stayed at POP 3 times and have always gotten great rooms. 50's or 60's but not prefered. DD loves the pools and we love the food court. :love:

We stayed there last August for the first week of free dining. It was our first time staying there.

Pros:
--All CM's were exceptionally friendly and professional, especially those who worked front desk and gift shop.
--Housekeeping was very good and took the time to leave little towel animals, which the kids enjoyed.
--We liked the variety and quality of the food court choices.

Cons:
--Outside maintenance staff was off its game. Someone dropped a pasta dish on the stairs and we noticed it stayed there for 2 days before it got cleaned up. And the pool was often being cleaned after its posted opening time. Not a big deal overall, but I enjoy taking an early-morning swim before going to the parks and it knocked me out of that swim a couple of mornings.
--Food court seemed to have a hard time keeping up with customer levels. For example, they ran out of ice a lot, and they shut down several drink stations at night even though the food court was still very busy, causing long lines for drink refills. IMHO they should've anticipated the larger crowds for free dining and handled this better.
--We just didn't like the layout that much. We stayed in a preferred room because that's all they had available. If it was preferred, it was only marginally within that parameter--the room was on the 2nd floor, Building 5, down a corridor and facing away from the main pool. We'd requested something closer, and we knew ahead of time that requests aren't guaranteed, but we still felt very far away for a preferred room. And our parking was very, very far away--felt like a 10-minute walk to our vehicle, although it was probably more like 5. Folks complain that CSR is too big, but we stayed there in 06 and it had a better "feel" for us than Pop. I guess that's the good thing about all the different resort choices--something for everybody.

i LOVE the pop century!!! i've been there twice and have no problems going back. i'm not a hotel snob, so i don't care about the moderate and deluxe resorts. I prefer the 50's section. I didn't like the walk to the 90's section. it felt long and there was nothing to look at if you took the shortcut through the parking lot. If you want the best view of illuminations for the Pop, find room 2436. I got to stay in that room my last trip and it was great! We pulled the chairs out to the railing and watched illuminations. i love the pop century so much!!! i really, really can't wait for the legendary years!!

I love the Pop Century and especially, Everything Pop, Gift Shop. The selection of merchandise there is really great! The room themes aren't great, but functional. I think if you know this going in, it's not so disappointing, but it could be for a newbie or the uninformed. The grounds are usually pretty and I'm always impressed with the lifeguards at the pool.

However, from time to time there, I seem to run into some folks who live by the rule, ME FIRST and SCREW YOU. It's sad, but true. Once, my daughter was standing next to me while I prepared my coffee in the food court. Just wanted to add a bit of sugar and cream to that wonderful NESCAFE :scared:. Some guy came up behind her and started pouring his coffee out of the machine right over her head. I managed to pull her out of harms way just as the coffee sloshed where she had just been standing. I gave him the evil mama bear look and said, is this crappy coffee worth scalding a little child on her vacation to DisneyWorld? He basically told me to F-off and I retorted with a quick, too bad your Daddy didn't. :rolleyes1 Luckily, with Pop being so big, we didn't cross paths again.

I don't spend a ton of time in the room and I just need a nice place to sleep and shower. So, Pop fits the bill that way each time. And I have to say that maybe because I'm from Chicago and we have a thicker crust pizza out here, I didn't mind Pop's pizza so much, but then again, I was really hungry! And honestly, can anyone pass up one of those rainbow-colored cheesecakes! YUMM!

We really like POP Century and have stayed there many times.

That said my only "issue" is the fact that it seems that the POP busses are the farthest away from the Entrance/Exit to EVERY park. Could be my mind playing tricks on me...

On our next trip we're thinking about upgrading to POR or an off-site villa/house. The POP rooms have gotten too small for our family.

That said my only "issue" is the fact that it seems that the POP busses are the farthest away from the Entrance/Exit to EVERY park. Could be my mind playing tricks on me...

Nope...your mind isn't playing tricks on you. Don't even look for the bus stop #, just start walking towards the one that is the farthest away!!! :rotfl:

The Pop is a good choose for people who want the Convenience of staying inside, but like myself not pay all that money to come to Central Florida and stay in a room all day. The rooms at the Pop nice
standard motel with disney flare. From the moment you arrive to the pop you can feel the excitement as the magic hits you. ( as for me I could stay in a tent at FWCG and feel the same) Everything Pop, the Food Court is nice can get crowed at times so if you go maybe go early are later then the crowd. The Tie Dye Cheese cake is a most have at the POP.

As stated before the pop has it's own buses well it shares with I think one other resort can't recall the name, but the pop is sorta to itself in whats called Disney wide world of sorts resort area. So most times the bus ride goes smooth, and MGM is on a few Min. away.

I will say this I am a Disney Freak so when I get a chance to go to WDW tend to not get upset when waiting in a long queue for a bus are whatever else, come on I'm at Disney as long as I'm inside the magic it's all good. Are there times you may get upset, sure not everything will go as planned but hey when you get back home to you regular day and back to work will everything go as planned, does it ever? NO!!!! it's life. So while your at WDW enjoy slow down take in the small things soke up the magic be part of the magic if you see someone having a bad day, are that seems to not know where to get started help them get going in the right direction.

Sorry about the soap box but to me the POP is not prefect but it's a nice place to relax and enjoy the Magic.

We've stayed at the Pop several times and thoroughly enjoy it. We don't spend a lot of time in the hotel room and like jpod523 I'm not a hotel snob either so the Pop definitely serves my needs.

We really like POP Century and have stayed there many times.

On our next trip we're thinking about upgrading to POR or an off-site villa/house. The POP rooms have gotten too small for our family.

I wonder if this is because it was the last one added? Is POP the newest hotel?? Hmmm

I wonder if this is because it was the last one added? Is POP the newest hotel?? Hmmm

That's exactly why they are the farthest away. This was the last resort built and since the bus stops seem to run, Deluxe first, then moderate and then value, with Pop being the last value built, it is the last on the bus stop placement.

I stayed at POP 4 times and I really like it. I have also stayed in a couple of moderates and while I think the extra money is worth it I don't spend enough time at the resort to personally justify it.

My biggest complaint is that the food court doesn't have any good healthy meal alternatives. They have fruit and yogurt but that isn't really substantial enough for dinner.

That being said I always look at POP first when planning a trip. I figure the money I save by staying there instead of the moderates pretty much pays for dinner each day.

i LOVE the pop century!!! i've been there twice and have no problems going back. i'm not a hotel snob, so i don't care about the moderate and deluxe resorts. I prefer the 50's section. I didn't like the walk to the 90's section. it felt long and there was nothing to look at if you took the shortcut through the parking lot. If you want the best view of illuminations for the Pop, find room 2436. I got to stay in that room my last trip and it was great! We pulled the chairs out to the railing and watched illuminations. i love the pop century so much!!! i really, really can't wait for the legendary years!!

Sorry OT Alert...

Congratulations on being accepted into the CP!!!!!party: party: party:

ETA: this is Cocowum posting, not Launchpad. I didn't realize he was logged in.:upsidedow

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter