• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Backpack or Purse?

mamattorney

Mouseketeer
This summer will be our first stroller free trip to the parks. I've decided I don't want to bring a string backpack because it always ends up digging into my shoulders (I guess I overfill it). I'm trying to decide between a purselike backpack with padded shoulders something like this: http://www.ebags.com/product/baggallini/capetown-backpack/307318?productid=10401515 or a nylon crossbody purse, something like this: http://www.ebags.com/product/baggallini/everyday-bagg/143934?productid=10342941 All of my everyday purses are handbags with no shoulder straps, so either would be new for me.

We'll be in the parks in June (but my birthday's coming up and I'm thinking of a purse as a present idea). I am thinking that a backpack might be "hotter" than a crossbody, but would it be more comfortable?

Any thoughts or experiences appreciated.

What do you plan to carry in the park with you?

I always do a backpack but I think it's too much now that our kids are 11 and 7. I'm thinking a crossroads would make me happy on our next trip. Maybe one day ill be daring enough to go bagless!

I have always carried a cross body and found that I carry too much stuff and my back starts hurting after a few days. Our last trip I carried an Eddie Bauer backpack. It was big, bulky, but perfect. Bag check was not bad... just open zippers as you are walking up. Having the weight evenly distributed on my back was worth the hassle of carrying the bigger bag.

What do you plan to carry in the park with you?
A great question - I used to carry quite a bit and then would just leave it in the stroller when it got to heavy, so I know I need to streamline.

I'm thinking a family sized bottle of sunscreen, my phone, an extra phone battery or two, some Advil, my wallet (or at least cash, ID, card), possibly a pair of glasses (if I take my prescription sunglasses, I'll need regular ones for inside) and some minimal back up medical supplies for my daughter (she has type 1 diabetes but is also 13 so she'll carry her regular supplies, mine will be for emergency only).

We have ponchos and cooling towels that I used to bring when we had the stroller, but I'm thinking those might not make the cut.

I also like the Bagellini purses. I think it would be much more comfortable than a backpack.

I like to carry a Timbuk2 messenger bag with a nice padded strap. Padded straps are your friend. If you get a backpack, carry it on both shoulders, not just one. DH usually carries a very small backpack to distribute the items.

Check out the Bagellini Healthy Back bag. I went the Nylon bag route for weight. Comes in different sizes. So comfy to carry.

When I do take a bag to the parks (I try not to), I use a (normal, lightweight, I don't care if it gets dirty on the floor of Soarin etc.) backpack (not a purse or cross body bag) because then DSs and DH take turns being the sherpa. If it looks anything like a woman's purse, they won't.

There is nothing better than having just one, hands-free, bag among us (hands-free because DH and DSs will absentmindedly put down anything in their hands).

If you are going to have a lot of stuff, there is nothing like an actual backpack meant for proper carrying and distributing weight. (ie love my ll bean backpack!) As a PP mentioned, you don't have to stress about it getting dirty and others won't have a problem taking a turn at carrying it.

That said, I don't carry a lot of stuff, so I just use a Vera Bradley Mini hipster. But I'm guessing that isn't going to be big enough for you.

I like the Disney Vera Bradley Hipster. It's very light weight and fits alot and leaves hands free. The strap is not at all bothersome in the heat. And super cute too!

Likewise. It actually holds a surprising amount of stuff-- can easily fit both my kids water bottles in there and all my stuff. It's extremely lightweight and comfortable to wear. And stores easily on rides unlike a backpack.

That said, I'd go with what you're comfortable with. I never wear backpacks and would probably accidentally smack someone with one every time I turned around. I do think in summer months, it would be uncomfortably hot. Probably more unisex though.

I find that the bigger the bag, the more stuff I'll throw into it, whether I need it or not.

That was the case when I used to carry a backpack to the parks. I don't mind the feel of a backpack, but really don't need all of the extra nonsense I tend to throw in there "just in case" when I have the space.

I've switched to a small cross body and it suits me much better. I try only to carry the cards I need, sunglasses, lipgloss, my keys, and my phone/charger. In the hot months I upgrade to a slightly larger cross body bag that can also hold some spray-on sunscreen.

When we bring a backpack my DH and DSs help carry it. When I bring a purse, it is just me carrying it!

I used to always use a cross body but on our last trip I used a backpack and thought it was much better.

I love my Vera Bradley hipster but it bothers me (and my shoulder) after a whole day in the park. If I do a full day, I go with a backpack. I went to the store and picked the lightest backpack I could find. I use a random target one (that is a little more purse like).

If I'm just doing a few hours I'll go with the hipster.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter