[B]Ticket question...to lie or not to lie.....[/B]

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheriandjimi

Earning My Ears
My son is 11. (the childs tix are 3-9) the prices for the child ticket is 40$ less than the adult. also at universal the childs ticket is free w/purchase of an adult tik this is a total savings of 140.$ so my question is will they really ask his age? I dont want to buy the tix if they're going to give me a hard time...I know my neighbor took her daughter when she was like 6y/o and sat her in a stroller and told them at the gate everyday that she was under 3 so she didnt have to pay for tix for her once! but this was like 5yrs ago...and last time I went my son was 8y/o so i didnt have this problem...also would this work for eating? my son is such a poor eater I cant see paying 20-30$ for a couple chicken fingers and some fries.... :guilty:

I heard that when people got those tickets - the tickets were adult tickets, meaning you would not have to lie. I asked a similar question a long time agor before I knew better, brace yourself for some attacks, though people are a tad less touchy about US than WDW :crazy:

Please. Just buy the adult ticket and pay the adult price for food. Yes, you may certainly be asked, especially in restaurants. Is it really worth it? Do what is right.

This is a very hot topic here so expect some strong opinions on whether to lie and steal at Disney, in front of your child. :rolleyes: :stir:

It is really worth the money to lie about it? Only you can answer that question....

FYI, on the Universal site where you purchase the tix, there is a disclaimer regarding their right to "card" any child over a certain height when entering the park. Never noticed it before...am sure it is due to arguments @ the gate on the usage of the tix for "mature-looking children".:bitelip:

BTW, it's been reported on the Univeral site that folks have been receiving free "adult" tix via mail instead of ones designated for a child - not sure if it's a fluke or not.

I can't tell you what to do or not to do. I can only tell you what I will do when we come to that point.

I will buy the adult ticket. Why? I'm an exteremly honest person. DS2 is very small, I could get him into the parks as under 3 for probably 2-3 extra years. If I did that though, I'd feel like I was stealing. The way I view it, they aren't charging more at a certain age, they are giving me a break while under a certain age. My children don't ride less rides at 9 than they do at 10, or less at 2 than 3. I also don't want to set an example of being less than honest for my kids. However, I don't think you'll be asked by a CM unless your child looks much older, and then they'll ask your child. If they think you're lieing, you *might* be asked to prove it. How, I don't know. It is pretty much dependent on the CM, I believe.

As far as the food goes, at counter service, you can order kids meals without question. Other than that, I think you are stuck paying the adult price. Your DS age is tied into the computer system if you are staying onsite.

I just wanted to say that I feel for you about the eating issues. On our last trip to DL we threw away several of those $6 kids meals that our 2yr old refused to eat. Whenever I could I would try to order something for myself that I could share with him (or dh would) and we always carried around a small insulated lunch bag with things we knew he liked (although sometimes he even refuses that). Of course he's still only two so we won't have to worry about paying the adult prices yet and Disneyland handles the character buffet meals a bit differently (children 2 and up pay for the buffet, but they serve ala carte there as well, so we just chose not to do the buffets so we could save money that way). If you want to do the Character meals then I personally would just think of it as paying for the experience more than the food. Also I think Dinner is almost always the most expensive meal of the day, so try to stick to breakfast/lunches and you can save some $$ that way too. This site Mousesavers.com (food and dining section) has Discounts and Coupons for Meals, Snacks & Drinks at Disney World that might help you also find ways to save money on food. There are ways to save money with a clear conscience. :tink:

ETA: if you're staying on site you might also want to consider the meal plan. You can find tons of info on the Restaurant/dining board or at www.allearsnet.com . HTH!

Do you really expect people here to give you 'permission' to lie. We all know what is right and what is wrong. If you are going to lie, just do it and don't look for validation. :confused3

WOW!!!!! There are some really perfect people on this board!!!! I just wanted some advice I really didnt think I would get slamed. Im just trying to plan a trip and take my kids somewhere nice, after a very trying year in our lives. How judgemental of all of you to assume that I am this horrible parent because I dont have your six figure income. Oh Well, whatever.... I managed to raise a strait A student and a great kid being the horrible "lying" parent that I am!!! So none of you people have ever done anything wrong??? WOW what a bunch of angels....Believe me my kid knows right from wrong and he also knows that were not rich, he dosent live in a fantasy world.

Oh I almost forgot I guess none of you sneak food into the parks either.......My point is how is one lie different from another....

cheriandjimi said:
WOW!!!!! There are some really perfect people on this board!!!! I just wanted some advice I really didnt think I would get slamed. Im just trying to plan a trip and take my kids somewhere nice, after a very trying year in our lives. How judgemental of all of you to assume that I am this horrible parent because I dont have your six figure income. Oh Well, whatever.... I managed to raise a strait A student and a great kid being the horrible "lying" parent that I am!!! So none of you people have ever done anything wrong??? WOW what a bunch of angels....Believe me my kid knows right from wrong and he also knows that were not rich, he dosent live in a fantasy world.

So, because you had a bad year gives you carte blanche to lie, cheat and steal...my, my!

If you can't afford to take an expensive vacation, then don't take one. Save your money until you can afford one. That's what decent people do.

I can't speak for others, but yes, I have made mistakes. But, I have never willfully lied, cheated or stolen for personal monetary gain - and especially not in front of my children.

While your child may know right from wrong, perhaps a lesson in basic morals might be revelant for some adults.

cheriandjimi said:
Oh I almost forgot I guess none of you sneak food into the parks either.......My point is how is one lie different from another....

Actually, Disney does allow you to bring in some food and drinks. Ask any CM that is on the DIS.

Anyway, two wrongs don't make a right.

If you didn't want opinions, then don't ask. It's so simple. If you want to lie and steal from Disney, don't come to a public forum and ask if you should. Come on!

cheriandjimi- How dare you even say that we(disers) live in a fantasy world! Let me tell you my life is no fantasy!!! My hubby has been in the military for over 22 years now and has deployed three times in the last three years to the middle east! You try explaining to a four and six year old where there father is at and why he's not home. You stand beside them at the front window while they are crying because they thought they heard "daddy's car". I'm blessed to have a wonderful husband and family. I never take this for granted. Yes, we are able to go to Disney every year, but that's because we save. The last time I looked people in the military didn't even come close to a six figure income!!! Actually, quite the opposite. If "you" had a bad year, get over it!!!! If you can't afford to go, don't go!!!

cheriandjimi said:

:rolleyes: :stir:

Tinkerbelle32 said:
cheriandjimi- How dare you even say that we(disers) live in a fantasy world! Let me tell you my life is no fantasy!!! My hubby has been in the military for over 22 years now and has deployed three times in the last three years to the middle east! You try explaining to a four and six year old where there father is at and why he's not home. You stand beside them at the front window while they are crying because they thought they heard "daddy's car". I'm blessed to have a wonderful husband and family. I never take this for granted. Yes, we are able to go to Disney every year, but that's because we save. The last time I looked people in the military didn't even come close to a six figure income!!! Actually, quite the opposite. If "you" had a bad year, get over it!!!! If you can't afford to go, don't go!!!
You know what, maybe I will end up not going...maybe not. yeah thats rough about your life. my friend is in the same situation she just sent her dh back, and her little girl is askin for daddy every night.
You have no idea about my "bad year" so dont make assumptions about me or my life. If I knew i was going to get slamed like crazy I never would have posted...

cheriandjimi said:
You know what, maybe I will end up not going...maybe not. yeah thats rough about your life. my friend is in the same situation she just sent her dh back, and her little girl is askin for daddy every night.
You have no idea about my "bad year" so dont make assumptions about me or my life. If I knew i was going to get slamed like crazy I never would have posted...
cheriandjimi, it seems as though you expected to post your question and hear, "Yes, of course!!! Go for it!!! Everybody does it and there's nothing wrong with it!!!" Sadly, you chose a topic that is guaranteed to get all of us rule followers angry. There are all sorts of people on these boards, with all sorts of incomes. We've seen hundreds of posts over the years from people, in reduced circumstances, trying to find a cheaper way to go to Disney.

These boards are full of information - they can help you set a goal, save money all sorts of ways, find the most economical way to get tickets, airfare, hotel rooms, souvenirs, food and pixie dust. What they won't do, most of the time, is tell you that it's OK to lie in order to avoid a cost the rest of us have to bear.

It's not fair for you to be so shocked at the responses. You asked your question, and you got some answers. I'd try asking, "How can I save money on a Disney trip?" if you want to see the helpful and supportive nature of this board. Otherwise, attacking people who advise you to follow the rules will get you nothing.

Thank you DVCliz that was all my post was trying to do. I'm sorry it was not taken in the spirit it was intended.

Btw to the OP, I am neither rich nor am I perfect. I do not have a perfect life, and I've had my share of rough times too. I hope that you are at the end of your rough times soon. pixiedust:

cheriandjimi said:

What do anyone's life circumstances have to do with anything? You've come to a board of people who mostly follow the rules, and you're surprised at the response you get?! People not only follow the rules because it's the right thing to do - they also follow them because they know that if everyone tried to break them either the rules would get more stringent or prices in general would go up. Disney has set its prices on the expectation that most people will follow the rules, and if that turns out not to be the case you bet prices will go up!

I am not sitting here in moral judgement - I simply am asking you to realize that there are rules for a reason, and nothing gives any of us the "right" to break them, regardless of our personal circumstances! You're free to try, of course, but we're not going to egg you on! Same way we would not encourage you if you came on here and said "our TV broke and we need a new one, but I can't afford one right now, but there's a great one at my office no-one uses much - do you think it's OK to sneak it home, you know, because we need it more than they do?" It's stealing whichever way you look at it. Lying for admission and food may be a little less blatant, a little "softer", but it's still cheating for financial gain.

Disney is expensive, I know. I sympathize with what prompted you to think about cheating. But I think you know it isn't right, and would likely add more stress to your vacation, worrying about getting caught!

I absolutely would not lie about my child's age to save money on a ticket or a meal. I don't care if their birthday was a week before. It is dishonest and illegal and an incredibly poor example to set for one's child.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter