Aulani's Hidden Costs

sipnride

Mouseketeer
After getting the ROFR kicked out of me for several months bidding on AKV and SSR, I am strongly considering Aulani (most likely unsubsidized). It would be my first DVC purchase but almost certainly not my last. The only thing giving me pause right now is that there seems to be a lot of factors that can or could impact the overall cost that are particular to Aulani & Hawaii, and I'm struggling gathering all those variables so that I can make a decision. I'd appreciate any info that can help me understand these "hidden", as in not posted on a resale listing, costs. Here are a couple specific questions, but again any info would be really helpful.

I heard something about a daily tax when staying there. How much is that? Does that apply when using Aulani points at the other resorts too? Or only when staying in HI?

Closing costs - would I be paying more in closing costs as compared to FL resorts? If so, how much?

Maintenance fees - though the unsubsidized fees are only slightly more than what I would have paid at AKV, there seems to be a lot of people who think that those fees will rise higher and more quickly at Aulani. How real is that?

Staying at Aulani - if I buy Aulani I will stay at Aulani once every few years. If I bought at the resort I want to stay at most, AKV, I'd probably use all my DVC points there, vacation in HI less frequently and almost certainly stay somewhere other than Aulani when I do go to HI. Bottom line though, I would have no problem with banking and borrowing to spend my points on big trips to HI if I ever found myself in a jam unable to book at AKV or one of the other handful of WDW resorts I like at the 7 mo window, EXCEPT that I hear it's very expensive. Other than airfare, what makes it so much more expensive than a WDW resort. Food? Activities? Do they charge for things that are complimentary at other resorts?

Again, any info on hidden costs here, whether specific to these questions or not, would be super helpful. Thanks all.
And again, thanks in advance

After getting the ROFR kicked out of me for several months bidding on AKV and SSR, I am strongly considering Aulani (most likely unsubsidized). It would be my first DVC purchase but almost certainly not my last. The only thing giving me pause right now is that there seems to be a lot of factors that can or could impact the overall cost that are particular to Aulani & Hawaii, and I'm struggling gathering all those variables so that I can make a decision. I'd appreciate any info that can help me understand these "hidden", as in not posted on a resale listing, costs. Here are a couple specific questions, but again any info would be really helpful.

I heard something about a daily tax when staying there. How much is that? Does that apply when using Aulani points at the other resorts too? Or only when staying in HI?

Closing costs - would I be paying more in closing costs as compared to FL resorts? If so, how much?

Maintenance fees - though the unsubsidized fees are only slightly more than what I would have paid at AKV, there seems to be a lot of people who think that those fees will rise higher and more quickly at Aulani. How real is that?

Staying at Aulani - if I buy Aulani I will stay at Aulani once every few years. If I bought at the resort I want to stay at most, AKV, I'd probably use all my DVC points there, vacation in HI less frequently and almost certainly stay somewhere other than Aulani when I do go to HI. Bottom line though, I would have no problem with banking and borrowing to spend my points on big trips to HI if I ever found myself in a jam unable to book at AKV or one of the other handful of WDW resorts I like at the 7 mo window, EXCEPT that I hear it's very expensive. Other than airfare, what makes it so much more expensive than a WDW resort. Food? Activities? Do they charge for things that are complimentary at other resorts?

Again, any info on hidden costs here, whether specific to these questions or not, would be super helpful. Thanks all.
And again, thanks in advance
So you really want to stay at AKL?

There is a Transient Accommodations Tax that must be paid for point stays at Aulani. It's charged to anyone that uses points to stay at Aulani regardless of home resort.

The per night rates for 2022 can be found here: https://disneyvacationclub.disney.g...-resorts/2022-hi-tat-web-cht-final-121421.pdf

I backed out of buying at aulani because of the extra stuff you’d end up paying for. Theirs a Transient Accomodations Tax for each night you stay there. Also the dues are pretty high and they are only going to get higher due to the high taxes in Hawaii. Also I heard if You end up selling your contract in the future you also have to pay an extra tax to Hawaii after you sell it.

There is a Transient Accommodations Tax that must be paid for point stays at Aulani. It's charged to anyone that uses points to stay at Aulani regardless of home resort.
...and this is true of any timeshare stay, anywhere on the Islands. I haven't stayed at Aulani, but have at several Hilton, Wyndham, and other resorts across each of the four "major" islands. I recall it being very modest, to the point that I barely noticed paying for it.

The Transient Accommodations Tax is 10.25% I believe. The tax only applies when staying at Aulani on any points regardless of home resort.

Maintenance fees on the beach DVC resorts tend to increase more.

Everything is more expensive in Hawaii and the food at Aulani is no exception. Two burgers from the quick service cost us $45 last week. We are currently at WDW and this feels cheap in comparison to staying in Aulani last week! Activities at the resort generally cost (I.e. stargazing at night costs a staggering $45 per adult and $35 per child). Aulani, although gorgeous, is costly.
Staying at Aulani - if I buy Aulani I will stay at Aulani once every few years. If I bought at the resort I want to stay at most, AKV, I'd probably use all my DVC points there, vacation in HI less frequently and almost certainly stay somewhere other than Aulani when I do go to HI. Bottom line though, I would have no problem with banking and borrowing to spend my points on big trips to HI if I ever found myself in a jam unable to book at AKV or one of the other handful of WDW resorts I like at the 7 mo window
This statement is the clincher. Why on earth are you even considering Aulani!? Aulani sounds like a terrible home resort for your situation! Keep slogging it with AKL if that's where you want to be not Ko Olina!!

There are three reasons to buy Aulani
1. Have a shot at standard, island view rooms which are cheaper in points.
2. To visit during Xmas/Thanksgiving requiring the 11 month advantage
3. Buying a ton at cheaper resale prices to use as sleep around points.

Do not buy Aulani if you want the 11 month advantage and want to frequent WDW most of the time.

So you really want to stay at AKL?
I do, but to be clear, my s/o strongly prefers SV over any other type of room there, so when we visit we have and will be staying in SV rooms the overwhelming majority of the time.

The transit accommodation tax is minimal and depends on type of room you stay in. You don’t pay it when staying at another dvc property with your Aulani points. You’ll only pay when staying at Aulani on points and anyone who’s staying at Aulani on points from any dvc contract is paying it. I think our recent visit in a 2 bedroom island garden view spring break was around $36/night. I’ve paid as low as $7/night for the hotel category room. Dvc puts out a chart annually after the state of Hawaii publishes their tat tax rates for that year. I figure It’s MUCH less than paying cash rate hotel taxes that Hawaii charges.

Closing is typically higher than a wdw property. Figure a couple hundred. This is true for selling too. There’s a tax of I think about 10% potentially due if selling Aulani.

We have subsidized dues and over time the subsidy has increased making it a great deal. Our points are usable at all dvc resorts. I’m not sure I’d be ok buying used points today if I wasn’t planning on mainly using for Aulani. We typically use at Aulani and given how expensive Hawaii hotels are today, dvc and Aulani are an incredible deal. We visit Hawaii almost every year and sometimes more than once a year so we’re not typically faced with any leftover Aulani points.

I was given an exception on borrowing rule for upcoming stay and was told it’s because I’m using Aulani points at Aulani.

The Transient Accommodations Tax is 10.25% I believe. The tax only applies when staying at Aulani on any points regardless of home resort.

Maintenance fees on the beach DVC resorts tend to increase more.

Everything is more expensive in Hawaii and the food at Aulani is no exception. Two burgers from the quick service cost us $45 last week. We are currently at WDW and this feels cheap in comparison to staying in Aulani last week! Activities at the resort generally cost (I.e. stargazing at night costs a staggering $45 per adult and $35 per child). Aulani, although gorgeous, is costly.

This statement is the clincher. Why on earth are you even considering Aulani!? Aulani sounds like a terrible home resort for your situation! Keep slogging it with AKL if that's where you want to be not Ko Olina!!

There are three reasons to buy Aulani
1. Have a shot at standard, island view rooms which are cheaper in points.
2. To visit during Xmas/Thanksgiving requiring the 11 month advantage
3. Buying a ton at cheaper resale prices to use as sleep around points.

Do not buy Aulani if you want the 11 month advantage and want to frequent WDW most of the time.
I'll say it also depends on when you want to visit WDW. If you want to visit WDW in the Fall, you need the 11 month window. I'll definitely use my Aulani points more at WDW than I will at Aulani, but I'll use them at Aulani sometimes and when I do, I'll need the 11 month advantage more than I'll need it for my WDW trips. I'm happy to stay at OWK/SSR/AKV every time, I have enough SAP to afford 1BR villas, and the odds that all three are going to be sold out at 7 months are slim.

The most expensive thing about owning Aulani is falling in love with Aulani and figuring out how you're going to pay for roundtrip airfare to Honolulu every two years.
LOL yeah that's what I'm thinking, though I've got a plan for this. In non-covid years I travel to CA several times a year, and I'd be looking to book the HI trip adjacent to a CA trip. RT from SF can often be found under $250.

I'm slways unclear on whether the AKL SV acronym means Standard View or Savanah View. 😆
In this case the context should clarify, as I can't imagine anyone strongly preferring standard over savanah. At best indifferent with a bias towards the lower cost (though why stay at AKL at that point?) On the points chart SV = Savanah View but that never made any sense to me either

I do, but to be clear, my s/o strongly prefers SV over any other type of room there, so when we visit we have and will be staying in SV rooms the overwhelming majority of the time.
If you really like AKV SV, I would recommend to keep trying to get a AKV contract through ROFR.

I was given an exception on borrowing rule for upcoming stay and was told it’s because I’m using Aulani points at Aulani.
Very cool.
I'll say it also depends on when you want to visit WDW. If you want to visit WDW in the Fall, you need the 11 month window. I'll definitely use my Aulani points more at WDW than I will at Aulani, but I'll use them at Aulani sometimes and when I do, I'll need the 11 month advantage more than I'll need it for my WDW trips. I'm happy to stay at OWK/SSR/AKV every time, I have enough SAP to afford 1BR villas, and the odds that all three are going to be sold out at 7 months are slim.
Very flexible on WDW. It's a 2 hr plane ride, and I actually hate going there when it's busy. We spent two weeks there last September and it was the best, even with some expected perks and pleasures unavailable due to covid. I'm not sure I'm going to need the 11 month window for Aulani, but of the two destinations that's the place that I'd be most likely to find value from high season booking.

Very cool.

Very flexible on WDW. It's a 2 hr plane ride, and I actually hate going there when it's busy. We spent two weeks there last September and it was the best, even with some expected perks and pleasures unavailable due to covid. I'm not sure I'm going to need the 11 month window for Aulani, but of the two destinations that's the place that I'd be most likely to find value from high season booking.
WDW when it's "not busy" for normal people is when you need the 11 month window as a DVC member. Owners are miserly with their points and the cheapest dates are the hardest to book.

If you really like AKV SV, I would recommend to keep trying to get a AKV contract through ROFR.
Why is that? Is there a reason to assume that booking Savanah View at the 7 month window will be more difficult in the future than it has been in the past? To get past ROFR I'd have to start bidding on contracts that are significantly higher $pp. If I'm

a) Not financing and have a very specific budget to work with
b) Most interested in one of the most widely available room types on WDW DVC, and
c) Looking at relatively comparable ongoing costs

I don't see why I wouldn't try to get as many points as possible. But maybe I'm missing something?

WDW when it's "not busy" for normal people is when you need the 11 month window as a DVC member. Owners are miserly with their points and the cheapest dates are the hardest to book.
Interesting point that I had never considered. Do you think that the likelihood of finding Savanah View at AKL all booked up during slow season is high enough to be serious factor?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter