August No Buy - Let the Fall Savings Begin!

1st - Bought t-shirts from a charity booth at the convention I attended. $60 (but v.v. cool Hackers without Borders tees!)
2nd - $25 - random things at CVS
3rd - $67 - Items I won at a silent auction (money went to two charities to encourage girls in security, the EFF and Hackers without Borders). I'm not even sorry. I got $100 in gift certs to a techie/hacker/security publisher for $40 and a military challenge medal that relates to a local defense contractor for $20 and a great t-shirt for $7.
4th - No buy day #1
5th - $18 thrift store shopping on the road.
6th - $65 - gift for my niece and pet-sitter, half-price books at airport, books on my Kindle.
7th - $45 - Walmart, cheap t-shirt, rugs for the kitchen. $22 - Thrift store shopping: 2 work blouses (wearing one today), 1 pair zip-off nylon North Face hiking pants (go me!), some Fiestaware. $35 - Fitbit chargers. Left my charger for my Fitbit in hotel and tried to kill it in a river while hiking, so need charger for the old fitbit as well. . .why don't they all just take ONE charger?????
8th - No buy day #2
9th - No buy day #3
10th - No buy day #4
11th - No buy day #5
12th - No buy day #6
13th - $15 - Chartreuse sun/rain hat $10 - North Face shorts on e-bay.
14th - $20 1 pair North Face capris, quick dry, and one UA Heatgear shirt - Ebay. Getting ready for September trip to WDW.
15th - I don't want to talk about my spending spree, but that would defeat the purpose. Sent back a purse I bought on Prime day <$75>. $50 - various things I did not need (just wanted) from Amazon.
16th - No buy day #7
17th - No buy day #8

Goal: Save my "fun money" and do something constructive with it! ($40 per week)

8-$0
9-worst spending day ever!lol Discount movie ($15), non discounted lunch and popcorn ($19)
10-no spend day until 5pm when i realized i was out of chicken broth which i had to have for dinner...... =-[ $4.49 for chicken broth and a cake mix
11-$8.01 at Home Goods, $10.2? at Dollar Tree, $5 Hot n Ready Pizza for lunch
12-ice cream with kids-$7.00
13-not good.....iron died, $32.02 at target, lunch with family $42.00
14-Back to school celebration dinner.....$35...Ok time to buckle down!!!!!!
15-$0
16-$13 at Target, $10 for Happy Meals, $12 for dinner (going to 2 open houses and an orientation takes a lot more time than I realized!!!! Next year it's crockpot for dinner the day before school starts!!!)-result....$5 over budget for the day!
17-$0
18-Spent $6 at dollar tree, but returning $6 worth of stuff to target...that's a wash...right??;-) Should be a no spend after that!!!

1st - Bought t-shirts from a charity booth at the convention I attended. $60 (but v.v. cool Hackers without Borders tees!)
3rd - $67 - Items I won at a silent auction (money went to two charities to encourage girls in security, the EFF and Hackers without Borders). I'm not even sorry. I got $100 in gift certs to a techie/hacker/security publisher for $40 and a military challenge medal that relates to a local defense contractor for $20 and a great t-shirt for $7.
4th - No buy day #1
6th - $65 - gift for my niece and pet-sitter, half-price books at airport, books on my Kindle.
7th - $45 - Walmart, cheap t-shirt, rugs for the kitchen. $22 - Thrift store shopping: 2 work blouses (wearing one today), 1 pair zip-off nylon North Face hiking pants (go me!), some Fiestaware. $35 - Fitbit chargers. Left my charger for my Fitbit in hotel and tried to kill it in a river while hiking, so need charger for the old fitbit as well. . .why don't they all just take ONE charger?????
8th - No buy day #2
9th - No buy day #3
10th - No buy day #4
11th - No buy day #5
12th - No buy day #6
14th - $20 1 pair North Face capris, quick dry, and one UA Heatgear shirt - Ebay. Getting ready for September trip to WDW.
15th - I don't want to talk about my spending spree, but that would defeat the purpose. Sent back a purse I bought on Prime day <$75>. $50 - various things I did not need (just wanted) from Amazon.
16th - No buy day #7
17th - No buy day #8
18th - No buy day #9

8-$0
9-worst spending day ever!lol Discount movie ($15), non discounted lunch and popcorn ($19)
10-no spend day until 5pm when i realized i was out of chicken broth which i had to have for dinner...... =-[ $4.49 for chicken broth and a cake mix
15-$0
16-$13 at Target, $10 for Happy Meals, $12 for dinner (going to 2 open houses and an orientation takes a lot more time than I realized!!!! Next year it's crockpot for dinner the day before school starts!!!)-result....$5 over budget for the day!
17-$0
18-ended up going over budget by $5 at Target...ate lunch and dinner at home tho!!
19-TGIF!! Planning to stay home, possibly paint my mantle!! hoping for a $0

I haven't posted here in a while, but it wasn't because I was spending lots of money. When I went to pick up my fabric, I ended up getting a bit fabric more to use for holiday gifts. Other than that, it has been a pretty frugal month so far.

1 - Spend - $25 donation to Oasis
2 - No Spend #1
3 - No Spend #2
4 - No Spend #3
5 - No Spend #4
6 - No Spend #5
7 - Spend - $7 on sewing pattern, $33 on fabric
8 - No Spend #6
9 - No Spend #7
10 - No Spend #8
11 - Spend - $16 on fabric
12 - No Spend #9
13 - No Spend #10
14 - No Spend #11
15 - No Spend #12
16 - No Spend #13
17 - No Spend #14
18 - No Spend #15
19 - No Spend #16

16/22

I haven't posted here in a while, but it wasn't because I was spending lots of money. When I went to pick up my fabric, I ended up getting a bit fabric more to use for holiday gifts. Other than that, it has been a pretty frugal month so far.

16/22

Great Job!!!!!!!!:D
i ended up painting my mantle (free) but then the dark mantle made the brass fireplace insert look horrible so i wanted to paint it too (not free-needed special heat resistant paint). The hardware store is next to subway, and I went at lunchtime and you know the rest of the story.....o_O Oh well!!! I did resist the urge to go to target and dollar tree today!!

Total over budget today $13

I decided to track my spending since I hardly ever buy stuff. BUT, when I started checking my purchases for August so far, I was shocked how much I have spent! I give myself $30 a week to do as I want.... This is truly an eye opener. This post stars at Aug 18. Previous post #33.
Aug 18. No buy
Aug 19. $3.29 Kroger cool whip, and chips
Aug 20. $20.00 from my $30 slush fund. Take niece for coffee and pastries. Any leftover buy groceries.
Aug 21 No buy
Aug 22 $7.50 for tea and cookies for get together.
Aug 23 No buy
Aug 24 No buy
Aug 25 No buy
Aug 26 No buy
Aug 27 No buy
Aug 28 $23 refill prepaid cell phone.
Aug 29 $7.50 for junk food and watermelon
Aug 30 $74 Early morning magic for DHS in Oct. $33 for baseboard heater
Aug 31 No buy.

Last edited:

8-$0
15-$0
17-$0
18-ended up going over budget by $5 at Target...ate lunch and dinner at home tho!!
19-spent $13 on mantle makeover, and lunch
20-three parties:crazy2: $51, but we probably would've spent that on dinner and lunch out anyways..saturday is our eat out day...
21-Hoping for a good no spend day!!!!

4th - No buy day #1
8th - No buy day #2
9th - No buy day #3
10th - No buy day #4
11th - No buy day #5
12th - No buy day #6
16th - No buy day #7
17th - No buy day #8
18th - No buy day #9
19th - No buy day #10
20th - (thus far!) - $20 North face shorts and a Heat gear shirt (Ebay). Now I am going to donate some jogging shirts and shorts that are all fuzzy wuzzy to some friends who are gutting their homes post flood. (Wear and toss clothes, basically) $3 - Book on the Coney Island Baby Doctor. Am going shopping this afternoon with hubby for a few things he needs at the luggage outlet.

8-$0
15-$0
17-$0
19-spent $13 on mantle makeover, and lunch
20-three parties:crazy2: $51, but we probably would've spent that on dinner and lunch out anyways..saturday is our eat out day...
21-$0
22-$0 (My first 2 day streak!!)

The more I don't spend, the easier it gets. I used to window browse lots of email ads. Then I started using roll-up. They take all of my email subscriptions and file them away and then send me a single daily digest at 3pm. For me, it is so much easier to just scroll through the digest and be less tempted overall.

1 - Spend - $25 donation to Oasis
2 - No Spend #1
3 - No Spend #2
4 - No Spend #3
5 - No Spend #4
6 - No Spend #5
7 - Spend - $7 on sewing pattern, $33 on fabric
8 - No Spend #6
9 - No Spend #7
10 - No Spend #8
11 - Spend - $16 on fabric
12 - No Spend #9
13 - No Spend #10
14 - No Spend #11
15 - No Spend #12
16 - No Spend #13
17 - No Spend #14
18 - No Spend #15
19 - No Spend #16
20 - No Spend #17
21 - No Spend #18
22 - No Spend #19

19/22

4th - No buy day #1
8th - No buy day #2
9th - No buy day #3
10th - No buy day #4
11th - No buy day #5
12th - No buy day #6
16th - No buy day #7
17th - No buy day #8
18th - No buy day #9
19th - No buy day #10
20th - (thus far!) - $20 North face shorts and a Heat gear shirt (Ebay). Now I am going to donate some jogging shirts and shorts that are all fuzzy wuzzy to some friends who are gutting their homes post flood. (Wear and toss clothes, basically) $3 - Book on the Coney Island Baby Doctor. Am going shopping this afternoon with hubby for a few things he needs at the luggage outlet.
21st - $35 Thrift store shopping. $12 shorts (I forgot I bid on some shorts. Whoops. No more Ebay bidding. No going on the website.)

Now the question. Spent $300 on a new suitcase for me, but it is going to be Christmas, as my old luggage is falling apart. Technically, that means it was the husband who bought it, but we put it on one of my rewards cards. Do I count that or not?

Now the question. Spent $300 on a new suitcase for me, but it is going to be Christmas, as my old luggage is falling apart. Technically, that means it was the husband who bought it, but we put it on one of my rewards cards. Do I count that or not?

I vote No way!!! we can't be responsible for the spending of others!!!!! :rotfl2:

I keep wanting to join, but there is not a day that goes by that we have to spend money. Buying gas and propane for the work van. And any supplies we need. And then running a few other things where I have to buy to restock. UGH. I defintnatly need a different mattress for our one room as this bed is not helping my back. But it is so good to see people who do not need to spend often. If I did not need to do all this, I can save money very quick. Way to go everyone, I encourage you all to keep going:thumbsup2

I keep wanting to join, but there is not a day that goes by that we have to spend money. Buying gas and propane for the work van. And any supplies we need. And then running a few other things where I have to buy to restock. UGH. I defintnatly need a different mattress for our one room as this bed is not helping my back. But it is so good to see people who do not need to spend often. If I did not need to do all this, I can save money very quick. Way to go everyone, I encourage you all to keep going:thumbsup2

Many of us only count discretionary spending. For example, I don't count food, gas, bills, regular charity giving and eating out twice a week. Just something to think about!

your post intrigued me...i had never heard of this chapter in history so i had to google it!!! what an amazing story!!!!!!!!
This new book uncovered some facts about the doctor that weren't known previously, so I had to read it.

Alright I need to get caught up here. I have been doing pretty good lately. We had a very spendy day last week, I took mom to see Paul McCartney but I had already set that money aside for any extras. Then since mom has been home from the hospital she has gained some weight (a blessing) so we got her some new clothes at Walmart when we did our big shopping trip.

8/1- $21.45 Hospital gift shop, $6.68 lunch with mom, $150.66 Walmart, and $5.10 snack from Chick fil a
8/2- $0
8/3- $3.83 Burger King and $88.77 Target
8/4- $3.45 Wendy's, $12 Cvs, and $67.44 Heinens
8/5- $0
8/6- $66.89 Target
8/7- $45.66 Aldi and $12.65 Drugmart
8/8- $0
8/9- $0
8/10- $0
8/11- $20 for food and drinks at Luke Bryan, $36 for a t shirt, and $22 gas
8/12- $120.67 Target and $12.44 deli for lunch
8/13- $0
8/14- $0
8/15- $64.17 Walmart
8/16- $0
8/17- $0
8/18- $24.67 dinner out before concert and $7.88 CVS
8/19- $0
8/20- $32.77 Heinens grocery
8/21- $21.45 Gas, $18.56 breakfast out, and $194.30 Walmart
8/22- $0
8/23- $7.45 chick fil a breakfast, and $12.45 jimmy johns lunch

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter