Aug 14th 2004 - Anyone coming with us?

:jumping2:

THANKS SOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH, Skyhawk!!!!

In my opinion the choice you are offering is ...BRILLIANT !!!!
WOW !!!!!:tongue: :tongue:
It looks like I CAN GO FOR IT !!!!!!!! It has always been one of my (secret) dreams !

Only one thing left: convince DH I can do it (i.e. I'm NOT going to fall into the water!! - I'm such a clumsy person from time to time !!! ) :earseek:

You feed the dolphins with ... WHAT ?

Well, I hear dolphins like cheeseburgers and fries , but they will give you some small fish, hold it by the tail, and your new friend will take it from you:::yes::

Laura - the encounter we did in Cozumel was exactly as Skyhawk described for the one in Nassau, except that we didn't get to feed the dolphin (not even cheeseburger and fries!!!!) Our dolphin was very friendly and we had a lot of interaction with her (there were about 10 of us on the platform). Absolutely no swimming involved and your feet will always be on terra firma! We have some very cute (and expensive!) souvenir pictures of the "kiss". I'll try to scan them and post.

(PS - I had my sunglasses on the whole time and managed to stay attached to them. Just as well as they were my splurge!! Who in their right mind wears Gucci sunglasses to a dolphin encounter - DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!)

I'd definitely recommend it - DD has checked that one again but think we'll go for one of the other ten she's picked!!!!!!!!!

We did the Dolphin Encounter in Cozumel on our last cruise! It was the highlight of our trip. You are standing on a platform in the water so no swimming involved even though they make you wear life jackets. I'm 5'3" and the water was up closer to my collar bone rather than chest. For our kids, DS-8 and DD-5 at the time, we just held on to their hands so they could just float next to us.

We booked it through Disney but if we do it again I would definately book it on our own. Good luck with you decisions.

:earseek:

hey everybody

my mom and dad went on a cruise for their anniversary last year and they did the dolphin encounter and they loved it. now they want to take me and my brother. but when my dad was looking for other excursions (hes a little obsessed, weve had the cruised booked since august and youd think we were going tomorow the way hes prepared) and he found one for a dolphin swim that you had to book on your own not through disney. o was wondering if anybody had ever done the dolphin swim rather than the dolphin encounter and if so which one they liked better.

see everyone in august

THANK YOU! Everyone! :boat:

TartanFan: Thanks! Now I am sure we'll spend a LOT OF MONEY :confused: on the souvenir pictures of my "dolphin" kiss!!:teeth:
Glad to hear you could wear (sun)glasses :smooth: the whole time!! Gucci is quite expensive, but have good quality material, good fashion and ... a good signature :rotfl:

SkyHawk: OK, I'll stop by the local McDonald's to buy some (fish)burger and fries!!! Hope my new friend has his /her own ketchup :duck:

SJCSuzy: I guess I'm about 5'6" or 5'7" (not sure; too much Maths involved) anyhow I will definitely book this "ENCOUNTER": this might be the highlight of our cruise too!!:jumping3: :jumping4: :Pinkbounc :bounce:

Invisible Penguinboy: glad to know you are looking for info about the "dolphin swim" ... so I know which one I AM NOT GOING TO PICK! :jumping1:

HAPPY EASTER DAY TO EVERYBODY!!!
:hyper: laura :hyper:

Hmmmm,

I keep checking here, and it doesn't seem like anyone else is sailing on the 14th. I thought, maybe if I wrote something and bumbed this thread back up to the top, someone would see it and add themselves. :wave2:

It's my first cruise and I am still trying to figure out everything or I would jump in more often. I like to think that it's only 4 months to go for the cruise as opposed to over 100 days, as somehow 4 months sound so much shorter!

I was wondering about the parasailing? Is it possible for two to go up at once? My daughter really,really, wants to do it. She's at that I'm 8 and have no fear age (of course she's never had any fear, so I think she's going to go through life brave and conficent, which is OK). If we could two, then I would go with her as she is too light for the weight limit listed and I don't know if I am brave enough to let her go by herself.

I have decided that when the warmer weather comes (it's slowly coming, although this wet and chilly weather is depressing) I am going to try to drop 10 pounds before the cruise. That way I can eat and worry aobut gaining weight. I have type II diabetes, so I have to be a little careful about what I eat. I plan on doing a lot of walking around the ship after each meal to work off the sugar I am sure I will be tempted to eat. Any recommendations for good routes to take after meals would be very helpful.

Looking forward to ongoing dialogues as the 4 short months go by.

CIAO ( Hallo in Italian) everyone !!! :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

We eventually have SUN and warm Spring weather here !!!
which make me think of that MAGIC cruise not too far away !!!

Skyhawk: In my previous cruises boards there were not many more people involved ... but each of us LIKED TO ASK AND TALK ABOUT EVERYTHING !!! and , before boarding the ship, we all had become good friends ! We exchanged pictures of ourselves (to recognise one another), wrote about our hobbies and dreams,even booked some excursions together ...
We used to have 3 to 4 new messages every day !!!!

My guess is (maybe) people on this board can get ALL INFO they need somewhere else ... so they don't feel like becoming part of a club or ... gang . :smooth: or (maybe) August is still too far away ...:(

Js's mom: I know for sure you can find on board YUMMY cakes and cookies without sugar ... I tried them 2 years ago !!!!and they were very tasty !!! ( our friends could not have any sugar)

Anyhow you could go for free to the fitness room on deck 9 forward, they offer stair steppers, stationary bikes etc.
I also hear (never done) you can walk with others, if you like,in "walk a mile" classes every morning.
Myself, I've always found that I walk A LOT, just going from my stateroom to everywhere else on the ship ... I tend to use elevators random ... I like to stroll around and to watch ...or stare at ... all beautiful "things" you find at each step !!!! :bounce: :Pinkbounc

Tartanfan: one more question about Dolphin encounter.
As DH is very fond of videotaping ... do you think we could switch for the encounter and KISS ? so that Marco (DH) can take video of my encouter and , after a while, I can videotape HIS (scared) encounter ? Is there any safe DRY spot from where we could videotape ? THANKS !!! DH is quite crazy about his LOVED videocamera !!!

:crazy: ::yes::

:wave2: :wave2:

Hope everyone had a happy Easter - I had a very lazy one and am now struggling back at work. I could get used to 4 day weeks :tongue: :tongue:

Js'smom - I know you can definitely go tandem on the parasailing but not sure of the rules on the weight limits. My DD wants to go tandem with me too so maybe we'll be able to go together! I did it solo last time and it was awesome - great view and not at all scary! I hope you manage to drop those 10lbs - I'd like to do that too but I'm not holding out much hope! Deck 4 is great for walking in the daytime - and there are some wonderful padded lounge chairs there for when you've finished. Found DH asleep there more than once! After dinner, a stroll around Deck 10 in the moonlight is also nice (and quite romantic too!)

Laura - I'm also not sure about switching on the dolphin encounter. No-one did it on our excursion and I think it might be a bit of a hassle to do. The platform's quite long and there is a flight of steps to go up before you could switch. I would send the company an email direct and ask if it's possible. (I have the web address at home but I'm at work at the moment. I can post it later).

Looking forward to meeting everyone in August!

:) Mickey's Dreamer - Thanks for the info on the sugar free cookies and cakes - it's great to know that I can indulge without worrying about the sugar impact. Also thanks for the information on walking - the walk a mile sounds great - especially if its early in the morning as I am an early riser (I start work at 6:00 am) so I could go do that while hubby and daugher sleep (they are the morning slugs).

Tartan fan - the moonlight walk on deck 10 sounds great - I know my daughter is going to love staying up late in the lab, which means the romatic walks are a definite possibily! I also apprecite the feedback on the parasail - will have to see about the weight as that is the only activity that my daughter really want to do.

I am already thinking about what to pack and what I will need. I tend to overpack for trips, so I will have to be careful to only take what I need. I do want to dress up for the formal and semi-formal dinner as we never go out to formal dinners. This is my chance to wear, once again, those fancy dresses I bought for the last school reunion that have worn since.

I read on another forum that Disney may revamp the process used to sign up for the special things like the sauna or Palo restaurants and you could do in advance on the internet. I like to have things done ahead of time (I am rather compulsive about planning) so I would prefer doing it in advance. I keep reading that as soon as you get on board you need to sign up the activities. We don't plan on doing a lot of extra things, as the fact that we on a ship in the sun is plenty for me. But I would like to do the dinner at Palo (am I spelling that right?) on night as it sounds great.

I appreciate having someone with experience that will be able questions as they arise in the short time period before the cruise (figure if I keep saying short time period, it will be short!).

I think I figured out how to get the excited bouncer on my message. Always a good way to end the day on a positive note. Since I get up at 5:00, I do tend to crash early.

Talk to you soon

:Pinkbounc

:) :) :) :)
Js's mom : Palo is just WONDERFUL !!!!!!::yes:: ::yes::
You don't want to miss it !!!
Though we NEVER found it difficult to get reservations !!!
Marco (husband) used to go up there around 12.45pm and he always had our first choice with no problem at all .

Can I suggest to try their nice "champagne brunch"? we had very tasty shrimp and crab legs, pizza of the day and some delicious Italian cookies... (well, maybe with some sugar, I'm afraid), fresh berries ...out of the world !!!!!
You can get ONE reservation for each meal (dinner, brunch or tea, we don't recommend the last)... but if you show up from time to time during the cruise ...you can get more!!!
On our last seven-days cruise we had dinner at Palo three times,we got to know a "real" Italian waiter ...and he was so kind to let us know when someone had cancelled their reservation.
:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:
(We were at a table for two in the main dining-rooms - so we managed to go to Palo as often as possible ... as we were not having any table- mates to miss. )
As you might know we are from Milan, Northen Italy ... and Palo claims it is offering Northern Italian cuisine ... WHICH IS TRUE !!!
Don't miss the fried calamari or the portobello mushroom with polenta or the minestrone , YOU COULD NEVER EAT SOMETHING BETTER EVEN IN ITALY ITSELF !!!!!
I have to say they cook the best risotto we ever had outside Italy... and . PLEASE, try to save some space for.......
:tongue: :tongue: the chocolate-hazelnut soufflè with vanilla sauce ... OUTSTANDING !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Palo is also very romantic, ask for a table for two near the windows, you can dine at sunset... with incredible ocean views ;)

Mickey's Dreamer - Thanks much for the info about Palo. Sounds great and I do like Italian food. Getting the reservations sounds like a good job for my husband while I check our daughter into the lab. I was fortunate enough to get to Italy on business several times, on the coast around Pisa. I used to work for the Department of Defense School System and I would visit the military schools in Italy.

It has a been a long week at work, and its only Wednesday. Knowing I have the trip to look forward to does make the job a little more bearable. Of course working is helping to pay for the trip, so I know that the stressful days are at least going for a good cause.

What time do you start boarding the ship? I can't remember when our flight arrives, so hope we get their in a timely fashion. I

By for now, will definetely be writing more later.

js'smom,
I've never been on a Disney cruise yet, so I can't say for sure, but from what I gather after researching, the terminal opens at about 10:30 or so for check-in. I believe you can start to board the ship at about 12:00, or possibly earlier.
Nice to know we are now under the 4 month mark. :bounce:

Hallo to everybody :D

Js'smom: to have more detailed information on boarding time and activities on board I suggest you check an example of "Personal Navigator".
It's a 4 pages sheet that lists all days activities: they leave next day "Navigator" in your stateroom every evening, so you can decide what you do the day after.

Of course they change every cruise, so you cannot know what will precisely happen in our cruise :confused:
but reading one of a recent cruise :boat: will give you a very good feeling of what to do while aboard !!!!
We do like to plan in advance ... and those Navigators helped us a lot !!!!

You can check a copy of a March Navigator at Dave's site:

http://dcltribute.com/navigators/west_carib/

Ciao :wave2:
Laura

:wave2: :wave2: :wave2: :wave2: :wave2: :wave2: :wave2:

Mickey's Dreamers - Thanks much for the website info. I went and checked out the Navigators and was excited to see that they had current lab information for my dauther. I bookmarked the site so I can periodically check for updates.

Have a great week!

I just found this thread, we too are cruising on 8/14. This is our 5th, 1 Wonder 2000, Eastern 2001, Western 2002, Eastern 2003 and now back again on the Western. We are on deck 2 with early seating. Will have a 9 yr old girl and a 10 yr old boy with us, our grandkids. They also have been on all the cruises with us. If any kids their age have any questions just ask, they know the clubs very well having started in the 5-6 age group. Did anyone check lately how much the price of the cruise has increased? We booked on board 8/2003 and the price is over $1700 more, Wow!

:bounce: :Pinkbounc :wave2: :wave2:

Welcome in our small-but-growing up HAPPY gang !!!!!

We too booked on board ( Wonder) in August 2003 - I'm not sure how much we did save ... I'll ask DH,as he does all payments ...
and I HAVE FUN !!!!!!!
:smooth:

I know we got about $200 spending aboard money; I guess we are having a category 10 stateroom at same price of categories 11 or 12 ...
::yes:: ::yes:: ::yes:: ::yes::

See all of you on board in ... A SHORT TIME !!!!!

laura :wave:

Well, our group size is increasing. We've convinced my Mom and a friend to come with us. And also my best friend and her family too. So now we have 6 adults and 4 kids (12yo girl, 11yo boy, 2 7yos 1 girl, 1 boy). Right now we're hoping the waitlist for early dinner seating clears for my friends family or we'll all be switching to late seating.

Can't wait till we're on board and having a "magical" vacation!

Suzy - I just this weekend moved us from main to late seating (party of 3)! Maybe your friends could give DCL a call and see if they could be moved. I've read some earlier posts where they don't automatically allocate from waitlist when someone cancels or moves. Might be worth a try anyway! On another subject, we'll have our 12yo DD with us so feel free put them in touch before our cruise if you'd like!

Marky - I'll add my welcome to our happy band! Look like there are quite a few of us "returners" so any newcomers, please ask away for any info you want!

Just think - in about two weeks we'll be down to double digits! Roll on August (quickly if possible)!!!!!!!!!

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter