Atlantic Canadian WDW Fans

We are going to WDW for the first time in February, followed by a 7-night Eastern cruise on the Magic. My brother and two sisters and their families live in NB and Maine and will be joining us on the cruise. We originally had DCL book the flights but the flights times were so inconvenient (leaving Bangor at 3:30 pm, getting to Orlando at 9 pm) that I ended up booking the flights myself for about the same price. Now they leave BGR at 6:10 and 6:55 am (2 different routes as there are 10 ppl total), and get into MCO just after noon. I didn't get a huge deal on the flights, but in this case the flight times, not the price, was the determining factor. If the price was critical, I'd have had them drive the extra distance and fly out of Portland. This way instead of waiting half a day in snowy Bangor, they get the extra half day in Florida.

Sometimes living in PEI is very annoying. I have been looking for flights out of Charlottetown for March break, since the buy 4 get 3 deal, and it's just so expensive! We don't have many options, and I really don't want to drive to Halifax (or the US, for even better deals, I know) because I find it really tiring to do the drive after flying and being at Disney all week. I just found the cheapest flights out of YYG (Charlottetown) and it's $854. :( I don't have other times for options because I'm a teacher. :teacher: ) My other option is to drive down with a friend who will not fly, but it would involve driving STRAIGHT through. Around 31 hours of driving.... :scared1:

I had to cancel my December trip that I had planned before I got a new teaching job, so I'd really like to get there. This is such torture trying to figure everything out and if I can at least go!

Thanks for listening and letting me babble!

Hey DisneyFreak, I really don't think that $900 is all that bad for the convience of flying out of a small airport like Charlottetown. For our honeymoon, we flew out of Halifax and I know we paid around that.

Checking in from Bridgewater, NS. We will be spending our 4th Christmas in a row at WDW in 2 1/2 weeks followed by New Years on the Magic (7 night Western).

Welcome back to the great frozen north! I havent been paying close attention to the boards I guess. Ok so now I have to know ,how was the flight back?

Hey DisneyFreak, I really don't think that $900 is all that bad for the convience of flying out of a small airport like Charlottetown. For our honeymoon, we flew out of Halifax and I know we paid around that.

When you put it that way, the convenience of it. I guess you are right. I probably should have booked it! Oh well, it's back at over $1100 now. That's a little too much for me. I'll keep looking. I'm hoping there will be some kind of a deal in the summer, a little earlier than the end of August. I want to try when it's hot this time! :rotfl:

LOL uhhhhhhh,didnt you go to florida or am I confused because that does happen to me a lot ...to many kids not enough sleep :scared1:

The last time we were in Florida was August 2007. I went alone very briefly in February 2008 when my aunt took a heart attack there. We are going back to vacation in January 2009. I think you have me confused with someone else.

Hi to all my neighbours! :) We are leaving Friday morning to drive down to POrtland and flying out bright and early Saturday morning. WE are just getting our Christmas gift packaged up and sent to our families elsewhere in Canada so they get them in time.
I have so much laundry to do, so I better go. I want to make more Christmas cookies too, so there are lots when we get back!!!
I hope everyone is well and if there are any questions or things they need me to find out while down there, I can do my best! Just let me know...

Back to the laundry...:laundy:

Hello everyone, long time since I posted on this thread. Alot of great posts in here. :thumbsup2

I have a big dilema, and need some helpful suggestions/thoughts. :worship:

My wife and I have booked a trip to Punta Cana for May 09. We've been on 3 Disney vacations with our daughters over the last couple years and thought we would go on an adults only trip this time. However, I'm starting to feel really guilty about going on vacation without our daughters. I know I shouldn't feel guilty, but, I'm a sensitive guy what can I say? Besides, I really enjoy our Disney vacations as a family. :grouphug:

So, we are considering cancelling our Punta Cana trip and going to Disney again. That means we will lose some money with the cancellation, and have to come up with some extra funds to cover for the additional cost to go to Disney. The buy 4, get 7 deal, and the $200 gift card is very enticing. Without those offers, we wouldn't be thinking about doing this. :cool1:

In order to help cut some costs, we are thinking about driving to Portland and flying with Airtran. It's a new concept for us, and one I've said I would probably never do for the inconvenience of the long drives. This however, would save us at least $1100 as compered to flying out of Halifax. We would also be limited to going during March break.

So, our dilema is this; driving from Halifax to Portland in March seems rather risky with regards to the weather. Has anyone done it? If so, can you share with us what your experience was with weather and anything else you would like to comment about. And, the obvious question here is, am I crazy for even considering this? :rotfl2:

If you've managed to read this far, thanks. Sorry for the long post. And thank you in advance for any help insight into my incredibly bad affliction.... Disneyholicism. :woohoo:

Hello everyone, long time since I posted on this thread. Alot of great posts in here. :thumbsup2

I have a big dilema, and need some helpful suggestions/thoughts. :worship:

My wife and I have booked a trip to Punta Cana for May 09. We've been on 3 Disney vacations with our daughters over the last couple years and thought we would go on an adults only trip this time. However, I'm starting to feel really guilty about going on vacation without our daughters. I know I shouldn't feel guilty, but, I'm a sensitive guy what can I say? Besides, I really enjoy our Disney vacations as a family. :grouphug:

So, we are considering cancelling our Punta Cana trip and going to Disney again. That means we will lose some money with the cancellation, and have to come up with some extra funds to cover for the additional cost to go to Disney. The buy 4, get 7 deal, and the $200 gift card is very enticing. Without those offers, we wouldn't be thinking about doing this. :cool1:

In order to help cut some costs, we are thinking about driving to Portland and flying with Airtran. It's a new concept for us, and one I've said I would probably never do for the inconvenience of the long drives. This however, would save us at least $1100 as compered to flying out of Halifax. We would also be limited to going during March break.

So, our dilema is this; driving from Halifax to Portland in March seems rather risky with regards to the weather. Has anyone done it? If so, can you share with us what your experience was with weather and anything else you would like to comment about. And, the obvious question here is, am I crazy for even considering this? :rotfl2:

If you've managed to read this far, thanks. Sorry for the long post. And thank you in advance for any help insight into my incredibly bad affliction.... Disneyholicism. :woohoo:

Hello, I would have to say it depends on the age of your kids. This is our first trip, so im by no means a seasoned Dis traveller. DH and I have never gone on a trip by ourselves. Kids however are only 4 and 3. We could use one, but the guilt, as you expressed, would sink in and we love our family trips and would hate to skip out on one. If your kids are teenagers or such, I would say absolutely, have a trip to yourselves. DIs isn't going anywhere, and I guarantee that there will be great deals along the way.Recession won't help them Im sure.
But if you sit down and say, ok, well we will take this trip for us, but in a year or so given a great deal from DW, we will bring the kids then. Helps a little less with the guilt since you KNOW you will be going with them.
DH and I are huge kids, and we will be 80 on DW rides Im sure. lol
I hope this helps, if you guys really need or want a vacation to yourselves, try to find a way to divert your guilt somewhere else. Even a summer vacation to NH! North Conway is Gorgeous with lots to do in the summer!! ;)

Thanks, Honeystar.

Our daughters are 13, 15 and 17. This would most likely be the last winter vacation we could take as a family, our oldest daughter is off to university next year and her spring break may not line up with her sister's March break.

Besides, my wife and I have alot of years ahead of us to go on vacations alone. We look at this time in our lives as a time to take advantage of those family vacations while our daughters are still young.

ETA: BTW, have a great vacation.

I feel your pain......I'd love to do a trip for just my wife and I, but would feel guilty leaving the kids behind (14 & 13). Both kids have had an overdose of disney.....3 trips in 2 years, so they are not really excited about going back anytime soon.......my wife also shares their feelings while, me on the otherhand, could go back every 6 months !

I think'll we'll try to do a cruise next time, maybe even a disney cruise, although they do seem rather expensive compared to the other cruise lines.

I would also be interested. We just paid $3000 for our return flight for 4 between Hal to Orlando. And although that seems like a good deal at this time, I'm starting to wonder if driving to Bangor or Portland would be a good thing during March break. I am also worried about the weather.

Has anyone had any experience in driving to Bangor or Portland and flying from there to Disney during the March break season? I would love to get any insights.

Thanks.:)

Thanks, Honeystar.

Our daughters are 13, 15 and 17. This would most likely be the last winter vacation we could take as a family, our oldest daughter is off to university next year and her spring break may not line up with her sister's March break.

Besides, my wife and I have alot of years ahead of us to go on vacations alone. We look at this time in our lives as a time to take advantage of those family vacations while our daughters are still young.

ETA: BTW, have a great vacation.

That is exactly how we see things. We are newbies compared to you in parenthood ;) But we know we will have many years without the kids. We have to enjoy them now. So many people said they are too young to bring to DW, but I totally disagree. They LOVE adventures and we see every bit of our trip as an adventure, together, no tvs or cell phones (well no calls from Daddy's work) and it's just us together for a whole week of warmn weather. We are SO excited :banana:

So since you asked of Opinions, I would be using the time to go with the kids. THe problem, I am learning, is that you can never have mis-spent time back. I am a stay at home mom for this reason. We both agreed when I was pregnant with ds that if financially possible, one of us should be home with them. I am a slave to my kids and I love it ;) lol Enjoy it while you can right?? I had kids so I could return to my childhood...gives me many excuses to do silly things. :rotfl:

I would also be interested. We just paid $3000 for our return flight for 4 between Hal to Orlando. And although that seems like a good deal at this time, I'm starting to wonder if driving to Bangor or Portland would be a good thing during March break. I am also worried about the weather.

Has anyone had any experience in driving to Bangor or Portland and flying from there to Disney during the March break season? I would love to get any insights.

Thanks.:)

Can't give you an idea on what it's like for March Break, but I know as a fact that Portland will be your best bet price wise. More airlines fly out of Portland, giving you a better rate. We priced out every which way. Flying out of Moncton (we live about a 2 min drive from the airport!) Halifax, Bangor and Portland, vs driving (which really isnt an option since DH only gets one week of vacation at a time.) and it always was cheaper flying out of Portland. Airtran cost us $750 ($800 with assigned seating) for 4 seats both ways. They do have a new fee for checked baggage, so you would need to factor that into your costs as well. Booking early and watching for sales is key though. We booked in Aug for our trip in 3 days. :)

I know here in NB our highways are always clear unless there is a BAD storm hitting that moment. You can't control the weather... unfortunately. We have been holding our breath. Good thing about this though, we have all day Friday to get to Portland. HoJo's park and fly is costing us $79 which includes our vehicle being parked there for the week we are in DW. Can't beat that! It's a 7 hour drive from here...but we Love the drive. It's just family time to us, and the kids love to look around.

All the best for your plans for DW! This is a great resource if you have any questions on anything!

Fan1080, you said you were originally planning your couple's trip for May. But if you go to Disney, you are going in March, right? I ask because you wanted to take advantage of the $200 gift card that comes with the 4/3 deal and that bonus is only available until the end of March. Also, there is limited availability of rooms with the 4/3 offer. If you are going at a busy time such as March Break, you should book REALLY soon if you are going to have a shot at the current promotion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter