Atlantic Canadian WDW Fans

I heard something about PC Calling Cards. I just saw it mentioned and that person was going to DW. So, anyone know why they are so great? We will be needing a calling card I think.

PC phone cards are great because they are easy to find and offer cheep rates with no conection fees and will work from most phones including payphones

As for the NFLD travel help. WE are going next summer! :) I used to go every summer to visit my Uncle and Aunt when I was a kid. Haven't been there in A long time. It is a BEAUTIFUL drive to Cape Breton. DH and I did that leg (from Moncton) our first year of dating. I am excited to do it again. I remember as a child thinking how awesome the scenery was in NFLD. There is whale watching that is a must for us. Also, visiting Saint Pierre (and Michelon (sp?) ) We will be staying in Marystown...Burin Peninsula where my family is. Where are you from in NS? I have software on my computer that goes with our GPS. I can calculate the gas mileage for you. I set in where you will be driving to and from and all around and pump in the gas mileage and gas prices and it gives you an idea of what you would need for gas.
Im a HUGE planning junkie as well. And the rest of my family is not. Which is going to stress me out! lol I research and plan. My mother just gets her vacation pay and goes. I can't do that!

Another trip I could suggest is New Hampshire. NOrth Conway. If you have never been, it GORGEOUS. And we are suckers for the Super WalMarts. We have 2 toddlers and there are 2 great amusement parks there with lots of rides. The kids just loved them.

If I can offer any help just let me know! :)

Hi and thanks! I'm a big planning junkie too. I think that's why the minute we got home from our Cape Breton camping this year I picked up my NFL travel book and got started :) I'm also in the process of planning my 2011 Disney tip :)

As far as the gas mileage thing that would be great if you could give me some idea. We are in the Annapolis Valley and go to CB every year so we have that part down pat. If you had any idea from Port Aux Basques to Rocky Harbour/Rocky Harbour to Grand Falls-Windsor/Grand Falls-St. John's that would be great. I have no real idea what my vehicle gets and we may have a different one then so just plunk in what the average vehicle would get.

Currently I'm obessed with getting airmiles points so I can get enough Delta Hotel gift cards so we can stay there at the end of our trip! It's good to have a hobby........

I've actually been to New Hampshire a few times on apple business. It is nice. Another trip I'd like to do is the Blue Ridge mountains. Though with our gas being hiked another 12 cents this morning because of that darn Ike driving vacations may soon be a thing of the past...

Ok, we're back from our first Drive, Park, Fly trip to WDW.

We left Halifax with a full tank of gas, lots of munchies($50 worth), 3 kids and the two of us. Ate breakfast in Amherst (McD's $30 CDN)

Stopped just over the border to fill up ($60 US), we drive a Honda minivan. We then stopped for supper ($50 US). Arrived in Manchester after 11.5 hrs of travel time, tolls were around $12-15 I think. Holiday Inn Express was $142 US for the CAA rate and we were allowed to leave our van for the 9 days for park and fly. Nice, clean hotel. Had some evening snacks available for free (stuff for PB&J sandwiches, fruit, popcorn and coffee). :thumbsup2

Next morning, we left too early for the breakfast but were given fruit, and coffee to take with us on the shuttle.(Driver tip $5.00) Checked in at the SW skycap service (tip $5.00) reminder: our flights were $925 US for five of us.:rotfl2:

Bought quick breakfast at the airport ($20 US) before we left. Flight was great, got the ME when we arrive at MCO (tip $5.00 US). We left the Holiday Inn at 0530 and arrived at POR at 11:00am or so. Great!

Return trip much the same expenses, ME 0400 pick up! :scared: (tip), no skycap service at MCO, bought a light breakfast at airport ($20 US) another great SW flight -0725 take off, Holiday Inn shuttle (tip). Had big lunch at Olive Garden ($60 US) yum! :love: before hitting the road. We stopped in freeport to shop a little for an hour or so and then had to gas up in NB before arriving home at 1am (yawn). Had plenty of munchies left from the trip down to last us with no stop for another full meal that day. We were stuffed from the lunch at the Olive Garden.:love:

I don't feel like doing the math right now, but I will compare with our typical drive right on through expenses in a future post. I'm just too tired and lazy to do it right now.:headache:

Hi and thanks! I'm a big planning junkie too. I think that's why the minute we got home from our Cape Breton camping this year I picked up my NFL travel book and got started :) I'm also in the process of planning my 2011 Disney tip :)

As far as the gas mileage thing that would be great if you could give me some idea. We are in the Annapolis Valley and go to CB every year so we have that part down pat. If you had any idea from Port Aux Basques to Rocky Harbour/Rocky Harbour to Grand Falls-Windsor/Grand Falls-St. John's that would be great. I have no real idea what my vehicle gets and we may have a different one then so just plunk in what the average vehicle would get.

Currently I'm obessed with getting airmiles points so I can get enough Delta Hotel gift cards so we can stay there at the end of our trip! It's good to have a hobby........

I've actually been to New Hampshire a few times on apple business. It is nice. Another trip I'd like to do is the Blue Ridge mountains. Though with our gas being hiked another 12 cents this morning because of that darn Ike driving vacations may soon be a thing of the past...

I am from the west coast of Nfld. I can tell you from Port aux Basques to Rocky Harbour its about 3 1/2 to 4 hours by car. Rocky Harbour to Grand Falls is about 2 1/2 to 3 hours. From Grand Falls to St. Johns its about 4 hours driving time. Use this link http://www.stats.gov.nl.ca/DataTools/RoadDB/Distance/ its a great way to check from one town to the next for distances and approximate driving times. If you know what your car is rated at in km/l of fuel it wouldn't be hard to figure out your fuel comsumption.

we have just decided that we are going back january 17 to 24 th staying at POP:banana: flying air tran out of portland ( Direct flight )

we have just decided that we are going back january 17 to 24 th staying at POP:banana: flying air tran out of portland ( Direct flight )

Did you get a good price with Air Tran? Have you ever flown with them before?

Did you get a good price with Air Tran? Have you ever flown with them before?

I think i got a good price 870 $ usd for 4 taxes included and this is for a direct flight :thumbsup2 . I have never flown them before but i did some research and they fly newer aircraft and have a good safety record Delta was a few $ cheaper but it meant having to make connections 7 hrs travel time versus 3

I think i got a good price 870 $ usd for 4 taxes included and this is for a direct flight :thumbsup2 . I have never flown them before but i did some research and they fly newer aircraft and have a good safety record Delta was a few $ cheaper but it meant having to make connections 7 hrs travel time versus 3

Thanks for the info. We have always flown Delta out of Bangor but we are looking at Air Tran for next summer.

That sounds great! We are going Dec 13-19 out of PWM as well with Air Tran. I just wanted to let you all know... this just happened to us. We had Direct flights. Good times on them. They changed the time on the flying out about 2 hours later than we expected (no biggie really), and then our return they had us with a 4 hour over lay. With 2 toddlers. I was furious. We didn't get an email or anything, we had checked online.
Ok, so a few tips here. generally they DO email you if they change. They basically (from how I see it...imo...) offer direct flights so they lure you in and then switch to a stop over to gain more business with those people. HOwever, they will switch you to basically any flight they have that day. Which now we are on a going to MCO flight with a 30 min lay over and coming back with a 40 min layover. I changed the going to flight because we leave at 630am and arrive around noon. Instead of arriving at 8pm. Made sense. Coming back we are on a flight that departs at supper time. More time that morning.
I did ask her that if I wanted to cancel, would there be any penalty charge since they changed our flights. She said no. HOwever, they are the cheapest flights around!!
Also, we just realised last night that if we switched our vacation week from Dec 6-12 to Dec 13-19th we are elligible for a great rate code! Not only that, but we skip Pop Warner kids, and it seems really slow that week! VERY SLOW in fact. We were able to downgrade resorts and by doing all of this have saved $550!!!! Air Tran allowed me (and it was way too easy...perhaps since they were dealing with switching flights around due to Ike...or maybe it is always this pleasant, Im not sure) to keep the same flights we had, but move them back a week. She talked to her supervisor, and it was totally fine.
Sorry that was long winded, I just wanted to advise you that things can change. It's in their contract. Let's just hope that yours doesn't.

ALSO! You can go on their website. ANd create a used account. Play around in there and you will find your schedule and all that jazz. So you can see if your flights nad times have changed without waiting for an email..if you get an email!

We weren't going to pay the extra $$ for assigned seating, but with 2 toddlers, and 4 flights now...we are going to. we can't be seperated from the kids, and I don't want to be seperated from my son or dh. I can apply these right online. I must say, they have a great website!

Done rambling, I just hope this helps you all out incase you get in a similar situation!!

Lookin' after my neighbours ;)

Did I mention I SAVED $550!!!! WOOT!!!!!:dance3: :banana: :banana:

That sounds great! We are going Dec 13-19 out of PWM as well with Air Tran. I just wanted to let you all know... this just happened to us. We had Direct flights. Good times on them. They changed the time on the flying out about 2 hours later than we expected (no biggie really), and then our return they had us with a 4 hour over lay. With 2 toddlers. I was furious. We didn't get an email or anything, we had checked online.
Ok, so a few tips here. generally they DO email you if they change. They basically (from how I see it...imo...) offer direct flights so they lure you in and then switch to a stop over to gain more business with those people. HOwever, they will switch you to basically any flight they have that day. Which now we are on a going to MCO flight with a 30 min lay over and coming back with a 40 min layover. I changed the going to flight because we leave at 630am and arrive around noon. Instead of arriving at 8pm. Made sense. Coming back we are on a flight that departs at supper time. More time that morning.
I did ask her that if I wanted to cancel, would there be any penalty charge since they changed our flights. She said no. HOwever, they are the cheapest flights around!!
Also, we just realised last night that if we switched our vacation week from Dec 6-12 to Dec 13-19th we are elligible for a great rate code! Not only that, but we skip Pop Warner kids, and it seems really slow that week! VERY SLOW in fact. We were able to downgrade resorts and by doing all of this have saved $550!!!! Air Tran allowed me (and it was way too easy...perhaps since they were dealing with switching flights around due to Ike...or maybe it is always this pleasant, Im not sure) to keep the same flights we had, but move them back a week. She talked to her supervisor, and it was totally fine.
Sorry that was long winded, I just wanted to advise you that things can change. It's in their contract. Let's just hope that yours doesn't.

ALSO! You can go on their website. ANd create a used account. Play around in there and you will find your schedule and all that jazz. So you can see if your flights nad times have changed without waiting for an email..if you get an email!

We weren't going to pay the extra $$ for assigned seating, but with 2 toddlers, and 4 flights now...we are going to. we can't be seperated from the kids, and I don't want to be seperated from my son or dh. I can apply these right online. I must say, they have a great website!

Done rambling, I just hope this helps you all out incase you get in a similar situation!!

Lookin' after my neighbours ;)

Did I mention I SAVED $550!!!! WOOT!!!!!:dance3: :banana: :banana:

Thanks for the info .I to looked at early DEC but found January cheaper and we are on a very tight budget . We are hoping for a afternoon flight so we can drive down the day of the flight .and hope to get back to Portland early enough to drive home we will keep our fingers crossed ( not actually booking till tomorrow )

Does any one know when Christmas Break may be in 2009 for Nova Scotia?? Planning a trip for the week between Christmas and New Year. May want to tack on a couple more days.

Does any one know when Christmas Break may be in 2009 for Nova Scotia?? Planning a trip for the week between Christmas and New Year. May want to tack on a couple more days.

Judging from the calendar, it looks as though Dec 21-Jan 4........would NS be any different than NB?

Then again...the kids do very little just before Christmas, so you could likely get in a few additional days on the 17th and 18th

Does anyone know when the first day of school will be in September 2009 in NS? We are planning for late August - Early September 09. Thanks!

tuesday sept 1 will be org day for teachers and students begin on sept 2

I know where we are (CB) the teachers have the 1st two days after labour day for PD and Organizing their classrooms and then the kids start usually that Thursday.

Giving this a BUMP to check in.....loving this weather, rain and all. Just glad we don't live in Manitoba where we'd be shoveling right now!

Hi Everyone,

We are from Sydney Mines NS, Flying out of portland maine in August 2009. Looking for a recommendation for a reasonable park and fly. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter