At first they didn't want me to come, now they don't want me to leave! April 2021 F&G TR (Updated 9/6!)

Day 4, Part 3: Rise of the Resistance!
(Caution – Spoilers Ahead!)

After wrapping up my Mickey bar, I made my way over to RotR. Well, I tried to….I actually had no idea where it was! HA!!!!

Finally I found a random line so asked the people at the end if I was in the right place and they told me I was.

There were two CMs checking people in, and they were taking forever, so eventually a third came out and ushered me over. I actually felt really bad about this since the people that had been in front of me were still stuck trying to check in, while I took about 5 seconds!

I made my way into the queue and it was a bit of a wait, about 20 minutes.

They were doing the whole ride/all the preshows this day (apparently I got lucky, I had heard a lot of people that week saying they were skipping the preshows). I do have to say, I loved having the assigned places to stand, especially in the transport ship, although that’s probably because I was assigned the best place to stand! I was front and center, it was awesome.

I did feel a bit bad though since I am tall and there were kids behind me, so I tried to squish to one side and squatted down a bit to hopefully let them see past me.

In no time we were exiting the transport…and having trouble following directions. Apparently we were supposed to line up, but everyone was too busy looking around and taking pictures to listen. :rotfl:

Did you even ride RotR if you didn't get this picture?

We did eventually get in lines and made our way into the next queue. One tip, as you exit the room with all the stormtroopers there are two queue lines. Everyone went to the right, but both are actually open. The family behind me knew this and skipped the entire line that had formed in the right queue. Smart family!

I once again lucked out and got the front row, so no awful plexiglass for me! Wahoo!

After we boarded, a CM came around and warned us that we should secure the sunglasses on our heads since they would fly off, so I decided to heed her warning so grabbed my bag from the floor to put my sunglasses in it. Well, apparently by doing this I held up the ride, and the CM who had just told me to put the sunglasses away could not have looked more annoyed! She was literally tapping her toes acting all impatient as I put them away! I don’t know if she was actually annoyed or just really getting into character….I’m going to go with she was just really getting into character! :rotfl2:

The ride itself was really awesome. I wish I had another day in HS to ride again to really take it all in!

I was off the ride right at 11:00, and decided to make my way out of the park to take a mid-day break. On the way out I passed Baseline Taphouse and was shocked to see only four groups waiting in line to order, so I of course hopped in line!

Next up: A Visit to Baseline!

Last edited:
Isn't Rise incredible? I just wish it wasn't so much work and stress to secure a Boarding Group! The CMs must have a lot of fun getting in character in there. I've seen some who lay it on really thick and it's so awesome! I wouldn't be able to work there or Haunted Mansion because I'd be laughing. Front row is extra awesome on this ride ... I feel like I see so much more when lucky enough to be assigned front row. So happy all the plexi dividers are gone but I do agree I liked being assigned a "dot" to stand on. I can't stand filling in all the available space and being shoulder to shoulder with strangers (even pre-COVID).

Day 1, Part 2: Look Ma, I’m Flying a Plane!

We last left off after landing in Tampa due to storms over Orlando and limited fuel.

I fortunately had a great seat buddy so we chatted to pass the time while waiting. While we weren’t allowed to go into the terminal to hang out, they did let people off who would find alternative transport to where they were going. There were actually a handful of people who did that, I was surprised.

We had landed in Tampa just before 10:30, and after about an hour around 11:40 the pilot came out to announce that MCO had been shut down due to the weather. I checked the radar on my phone, and the storm system was traveling practically due east and was just stuck over MCO. Ugh.

The pilot noted MCO was expected to reopen in about an hour and said that since a ton of planes had to be diverted like us, he would do his best to be one of the first to take off so we wouldn’t have any more delays.

Then, he did something amazing. He announced that anyone, little kids and big kids alike, were welcome to come into the cockpit to check things out.

Of course a line of kids built quickly, all the while I was debating if I wanted to be that adult and be the big kid who checked out the cockpit.

Well, spoiler alert, I did.

It was so ridiculously cool, not only did they let me come in, but the pilot got up and let me sit in his seat!

This pilot was amazing (and to be blunt, really hot!), and when I mentioned how jealous my dad would be once he heard I got to do this, he asked if I had a phone to get a picture. I told him I did, but I left it at my seat. Well, he asked which seat I was in and actually ran back to grab my phone from my seat and then came back and took a bunch of pictures for me! Such an awesome guy.

I chatted with both pilot and the copilot for a bit about all the instruments in there before a line of other “big kids” started to form.

It was a great way to pass the time, and such an awesome experience, totally made up for the fact that we landed at the wrong airport. :rotfl2:

Finally, about two hours after landing in Tampa, at 12:36, we pushed back from the gate and were on our way! Well, on our way to wait some more. Ha!

We taxied out to the runway, and then just sat. Apparently there was a loooong line of planes ahead of us, it actually took about an hour before it was our turn, but finally around 1:30 it was our turn to take off!

The flight from Tampa to Orlando was uneventful…for the whole thing, which was welcome.

The pilot came on the intercom during the flight to tell us "don't worry folks, we won't charge you for this extra stop. This is a Jetblue special, two stops for the price of one!" HA!

When we landed he came on again and totally deadpan goes "well, we're here" :rotfl:

Seriously, this guy was awesome.

The passengers on the plane were pretty great too, no one seemed too upset and once we landed someone goes "now that was the longest two hour flight I've ever been on!" :rotfl2:

We arrived in Orlando around 2:00, and I booked it off the plane, fortunately I was sitting in the second row so I made a quick escape. I was worried about how crazy DME would be with all the diverted planes landing around the same time.

Well, I was right to be concerned. Upon exiting the plane I found myself in a sea of bodies. Seriously, it was elbow to elbow in the terminal, and most weren’t wearing masks. I was very thankful at that point that I was fully vaccinated!

I’m guessing with all the diverted flights there just weren't planes for people to board yet, plus the planes that had just arrived were dumping even more people out into the terminal, but boy, it was a mess. I’ve never seen so many people in there.

After getting through that I made my way quickly down to DME. Upon getting off the elevator on the first floor I was in for a shock, the line was crazy long. I’ve seen videos of long DME lines, but this one looked much longer. Ugh.

I made my way to the end of the line and crossed my fingers it wouldn’t be more than an hour. Well, I lucked out, even though the line was super long, it only took 35 minutes to get to the check-in, and once in my resort line, only 10 minutes to board the bus. The bus left shortly after boarding, so in the end not horrible, just a shock to see that many people!

Next up: I'm Finally Back in Disney World!
They should have put you on a bus and you would have gotten there quicker.

Finally I found a random line so asked the people at the end if I was in the right place and they told me I was.

There were two CMs checking people in, and they were taking forever, so eventually a third came out and ushered me over. I actually felt really bad about this since the people that had been in front of me were still stuck trying to check in, while I took about 5 seconds!
Don't feel guilty. Many of those people who are in line don't have boarding passes because they didn't know that they needed them.
I don’t know if she was actually annoyed or just really getting into character….I’m going to go with she was just really getting into character!
She was getting into character. ::yes:: The CM's used to put on more of a show, being mean and grilling the passengers. But it must have scared too many children, so they toned it down.

Isn't Rise incredible? I just wish it wasn't so much work and stress to secure a Boarding Group! The CMs must have a lot of fun getting in character in there. I've seen some who lay it on really thick and it's so awesome! I wouldn't be able to work there or Haunted Mansion because I'd be laughing. Front row is extra awesome on this ride ... I feel like I see so much more when lucky enough to be assigned front row. So happy all the plexi dividers are gone but I do agree I liked being assigned a "dot" to stand on. I can't stand filling in all the available space and being shoulder to shoulder with strangers (even pre-COVID).

It really is! Also kind of overwhelming, there is so much going on I didn't know where to look. I can't wait to ride it again to see more!

I'm with you on the filling in all the available space, I hate that! As much as I love the stretching room at HM, I'm really not looking forward to squishing in there with strangers again.

Don't feel guilty. Many of those people who are in line don't have boarding passes because they didn't know that they needed them.

Ah, I didn't think of that, but it makes sense.

She was getting into character. ::yes:: The CM's used to put on more of a show, being mean and grilling the passengers. But it must have scared too many children, so they toned it down.

Haha, good to know! I kind of wish I got to see it before they toned it down.

On the phone with Disney once again, as it turns out, I am a glutton for punishment. I find it amusing that every time I call (except the one I magically got through right at 7am) I get the “due to higher than normal call volume…” message…I mean at this point I feel like this IS normal call volume. Does anyone ever wait less than 90 minutes on a normal basis?

Anyways, I’ve been watching the Disney website closely for them to release the fireworks hours in September so I could hopefully book the fireworks cruise. Well after looking diligently every single day for the last few weeks, I decided that there was little to no chance they’d be released today, so didn’t bother looking in the morning as per my routine.

As you can probably guess, the fireworks times were released today! HAAAA! So once again I am on the phone for hours hoping I’m not too late to get one during our trip. I really really want to do this as a gift to my mom, so fingers crossed I can get it! Also fingers crossed they pick up soon, I feel like 2.5 hours on hold is long enough to be on hold.

Also, almost finished writing the next TR post, so that should be coming this weekend, yay!

ETA: Ok, got a fireworks cruise, but not the nights that we were hoping for. Pickings are slim in September already! I had hoped to do it on a Saturday, so wasn't surprised that day was sold out. Our back-up was on Thursday, but once again sold out. I ended up going through each day with the CM on the phone until we finally found a day that had availability. To be honest, I'm a tad annoyed. Back in 2020 I was able to book the fireworks cruise 180 days out, but this year they hadn't opened September for booking by my 60 day mark (which was less than two weeks ago), so I couldn't book until today, and by then people with trips starting after mine could book as well. I suspect that if I could book at the 60 day mark I could have gotten our preferred day since it was 60+9, or even our second preferred day at 60+7. I get Disney is slooooowly coming back, but I kind of feel like those of us going in September are getting a bit screwed over with SO much waiting to start until October and this slow trickle of stuff coming back after booking dates.

Ok, rant over, sorry to be a Debbie downer on a Friday night. I am actually thrilled we got the cruise, and they're going to deck the boat out for my mom's birthday, so hopefully it ends up being a super special night!

Last edited:
Day 4, Part 4: A Visit to Baseline!

We last left off with me deciding to swing by Baseline as I was making my way out of HS. The place was empty when I arrived, not a single table was taken, so I thought I had great timing. Well, I guess I technically did, within minutes there was a massive line behind me. Unfortunately most of the groups sent someone to grab a table while they waiting, and before I had even entered the building to order all the tables were taken by people in line behind me. Didn’t help that a handful of the tables were blocked off for social distancing. Grrr, a major downside of traveling alone!

Even though there were only 4 groups ahead of me it took FOREVER, over 20 minutes, to get into the place to order. By the time it I got my drink all the tables were taken and only one group at a table actually had food and drinks. I really wish they had CMs there directing people so only people who had already gotten their food and drinks could get a table. By the time I finished my drink, which took about 30 minutes, only two other groups who had grabbed a table had gotten their food/drinks, so there was no need for all those other people to hog all the tables.

Anyways, I got my beer and went to find a place to drink it. I did find a table just outside of the seating area along the main path, but it was standing table and in the sun so not the best option, but it was what I could get! The beer was really good and super refreshing.

After finishing up my beer I was really ready for a break in the AC so made my way out.

I did swing by a Photopass Photographer with no line in the front of the park on the way out and got some shots! She was awesome and actually took a ton of pictures in different directions!

After my photoshoot, I finally made my way out of the park. This day was starting to get a lot hotter than the previous days and I was starting to melt. I do have to say though, I got super lucky with weather this week, up until this day it was really nice and not too hot!

I made my way down to the boat, and I was super lucky since there was a boat waiting when I arrived and I managed to get on right before it left! I did end up getting off at the S&D since the boat was uncomfortably hot, and it was once again a good choice since I easily beat the boat back to the YC.

When I got back to the room I spent some time packing since I’d be leaving the following morning. These short trips go by WAY too fast! Although, I guess a good thing is I will probably finish this TR before my next trip now! I can’t imagine writing two at once, I’d never finish either of them! :rotfl:

NEXT UP: Oga’s!

Last edited:
I really wish they had CMs there directing people so only people who had already gotten their food and drinks could get a table.
That would have been nice if they had done that for Baseline. It was nice that they were doing that for some of the counter service restaurants.
I made my way down to the boat, and I was super lucky since there was a boat waiting when I arrived and I managed to get on right before it left! I did end up getting off at the S&D since the boat was uncomfortably hot, and it was once again a good choice since I easily beat the boat back to the YC.
The Friendship boats always seem to get really hot later in the day. But sometimes walking is hotter. The Skyliner is a fun way to travel, too.

That would have been nice if they had done that for Baseline. It was nice that they were doing that for some of the counter service restaurants.

Yeah, I had read they were doing it at some locations, I really wish they would do it at Baseline too. Especially when the line gets super long and people at the way back try to hold tables.

The Friendship boats always seem to get really hot later in the day. But sometimes walking is hotter. The Skyliner is a fun way to travel, too.

Yes! Especially with the plexiglass up, the air just felt so stagnant in there. I'm not really sure why I didn't just take the skyliner this time, I did when I went back later in the day, so who knows, maybe the heat made me temporarily forget about it? :confused3

Even though there were only 4 groups ahead of me it took FOREVER, over 20 minutes, to get into the place to order. By the time it I got my drink all the tables were taken and only one group at a table actually had food and drinks. I really wish they had CMs there directing people so only people who had already gotten their food and drinks could get a table. By the time I finished my drink, which took about 30 minutes, only two other groups who had grabbed a table had gotten their food/drinks, so there was no need for all those other people to hog all the tables.
They really should do the same thing as Woody's Lunch box.... And that is super annoying! Technically you can go and sit and never order anything from there.

They really should do the same thing as Woody's Lunch box.... And that is super annoying! Technically you can go and sit and never order anything from there.

I completely agree. Reminds me of the last time I was there and a family came in with food from another QS place and spent the entire time complaining about all the people drinking around them. :rotfl2:

It would be really nice if they would limit the seating there to people ordering from Baseline, and only let people sit once they have their food and drink. Maybe someday!

Day 4, Part 5: Oga’s!

After a nice break in the hotel room and some time packing ( :sad:) it was time to head out to my next adventure!

I left the room a few minutes before 2 and headed down to the boat dock, and what luck, there was a boat waiting there as I arrived!

Well, turns out it wasn’t very lucky. I was about 20ft away from the boat when the CM closed the rope and wouldn’t let me on! And it wasn’t like the boat was full, no one was even sitting on the back bench!

I ended up waiting about 20 minutes for the next boat to arrive. Yes, I could have walked and gotten there before the next boat even showed up, but it had gotten so hot by then I had zero desire to walk any further than I needed to at that point! Plus being four days into my trip my legs were tired, after the past year of never going anywhere I was not used to walking that much!

I ended up getting to HS around 2:40 and slowly made my way in, stopping at shops on the way. I ended up buying a monorail dog toy for my pup and a Disney Dogs shirt for myself. Btw, I totally LOVE that Disney has the dog and cat line now!

Once I finished up shopping I headed over to check in for my reservation at Oga’s!

I arrived at 2:50 and went to check in at the podium but was told I couldn't check-in in person but instead had to check in on my phone. No big deal, but I wonder what they do with people who don’t have smart phones? :confused3

My reservation was for 3:00, so after checking in on my phone I found a shady spot along a wall to wait (along with a bunch of other people waiting to get in). It took a while to get the notification, it didn’t come in until 3:20, about 20 minutes after my reservation, and when I made my way in I could see why it took so long, there was hardly anyone in there! Compared to my last experience there being squished in like sardines this was fabulous!

I was led to a seat at the bar and settled in and began to peruse the menu. Beyond the lack of people in there, I also LOVED having an actual seat!

Look at this emptiness!

These were the closest people to me, you can see their stuff on the bar way at the end (the stuff closest to me was just a sample of some of the offerings).

The nearest person was a solid 12ft away from me, there were maybe 20 people total in there, it was amazing.

I ended up ordering the Jedi Mind Trick to drink and then the Happabore Sampler, which was basically a fancy charcuterie board.

The drink was ok, but the Happabore Sampler was amazing! Everything was so flavorful and it was huge!

After finishing up my first drink, I ended up ordering the Gold Squadron Lager which is what I got last time I was there and loved, and it was just as good as I remembered.

The 45 minute time limit flew by, and before I knew it the bartender let me know I only had 5 minutes left, but then he also gave me the option to order a third drink to go! I hadn’t realized they offered that before, but I loved the idea so got another Gold Squadron to go!

After paying my bill and getting my to go beer, I made my way out and tried to find a place to sit and drink my beer. This was back when masks were still required outside, so not being able to sip the beer while walking was a bit annoying since it was a very full pour so I kept splashing beer over my hand.

I finally found an empty seat, it was in the sun, but it was the only empty seat I saw after walking for about 10 minutes so snagged it. There were a ton of people sitting on the sides of walkways, more than I’ve ever seen before. It literally looked like a parade might be coming by soon by the amount of people just sitting along the sides! I get it though, with the heat that day, and the masks still being required outside, extra breaks were needed!

I ended up sitting there for a while enjoying my drink and working on my tan. It was a nice break, and it was fun to people watch!

Eventually I finished my beer and made my way out of the park. This time I opted to take the skyliner home!

Next Up: Where Did All the People Go?

Last edited:
Wow! Your Oga's experience sounds amazing. I happened to luck into something similar back when Rise had first opened and they were opening the park earlier than planned and so there were no ADRs for these "extra hours." Yes, I did a walk-up probably before 9am. :laughing:. It was so much more pleasant! DJ Rex has lots of fun things to say and there were so many details I missed when wall to wall people. There weren't seats at the bar though ... that is awesome! I wonder if the demand will ever settle down to a more manageable/pleasant level. Haven't tried the charcuterie or the beer -- managed to snag a res for Oct so may check those out then!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter