Asking for "free stuff"

we have tried to share a little Disney love ourselves. one trip we took some light up toys from an ice show that my daughter had out grown and gave to kids at parade. we also try to find a family to pass on left over stuff from our room, extra water, beer, snacks, before we leave.

Our pixie dust happened our first day ever to DW in AK. I had all our ADR in my phone calendar but when we flew into Orlando the time changed in my phone and switched my times. Anyways we were an hour late for our reservation and they let us eat anyways (at tusker house).

We have had several random special acts during our trips, and I have found that most of them happen simply out of kindness and good manners on my kids part. A bus driver handed my son a "golden ticket" to MK simply because he struck up conversation with him and at the end told the bus driver to have a good night. Other little things, but for me it is those little things that just make my heart smile.

There is hardly anything rude about asking if it's possible to upgrade when checking into a hotel.

It's almost always possible to upgrade if you are willing to pay for it. Booking a crappy room then trying to get a FREE upgrade is rude.

If you want a preferred room pay for the preferred room.

That is basically what ppl are trying to get for free when they ask if they can be moved as close to the lobby as possible. You want something for free that everybody else paid for.

Great List....thanks

I'm not sure about a couple of items on the list - knowing that Disney has a paid service for floral, in room gifts, and celebration cakes, I would be surprised if a guest could request this stuff without being being asked to pay for it. A piece of birthday cake at a restaurant - that is surely doable at most any restaurant, but definitely not a whole decorated cake, for which Disney charges $$$. If you ask for some of this stuff at check in, I'm betting they'll refer you to the service that charges for this kind of stuff.

Iv been to Disneyland but only twice and I've never been told about pixie dust

I'm going in October this year though, can anyone tell me what this is please?

This may not be an exact definition, but from what I gather, "pixie dust" is anything extra special and unexpected that happens on your vacation. Could be a CM giving you a fastpass, or getting picked to be the family that opens MK, or maybe a fellow guest gives your kid a glowstick during the parade. Doesn't have to be anything over the top or expensive, usually just a nice gesture.

I have been to WDW over a dozen times, and every time have gotten some sort of Pixie dust. The most, however, was on our honeymoon. It started on the airplane, where we got upgraded to first class for no charge. When we checked into our resort, there were Mickey and Minnie autographed wedding pictures, a small flower arrangement, and a bottle of champagne waiting in our room, again all free and none requested. During the duration of our stay, we got several glasses of champagne with meals, and a few desserts for free. On a none park day, we decided to rent boats on Bay Lake, yep free. Then we went over to the Wilderness Lodge to rent bikes, free again. We never asked for anything, and got solo much that made our honeymoon truly memorable. All we did was told the nice CM that took our reservations that it was our honeymoon, and wore our just Married pins everywhere we went. At Whispering Canyons, they made us stand in the middle of the room and kiss until the patrons stopped clapping, which I think some still are clapping. Lol. At Ohana, we got Leis, and a solo dance to a song sung for us. So many CM's congratulated us during our visit, we couldn't possibly count them all. By far, Disney made our honeymoon more magical then I ever would have imagined.

On our first visit, we were in line waiting on our family pic at breakfast with Cinderella. My daughter, 9 at the time, has autism, and was starting to get a little agitated (though she had done much better than expected). A CM saw we were starting to struggle a little, and approached her. I truly appreciated the sentiment, but it started to make matters worse, as she has a very significant language delay and interacting with new people is difficult. I thanked him and asked if we could just skip the photo and go to the dining room. I didn't want to ruin the experience for my daughter, or the other folks waiting in line. He asked if we wanted to go to the front of the line. I told him no, as I didn't want to jump in front of other guests. He unhooked the rope, to presumably point us toward the dining room, but instead took us to the front of the line, spoke briefly to one of the photographers and quickly situated us for our picture. It happened so fast, I didn't know what to say. After, I made sure and let him know what a huge impact that made on our family. That one act of kindness, truly saved our whole day. My entire meal was spent trying to keep from bawling my eyes out. Best pixie dust ever!!

Looking forward to our trip on February 2-8, 2014!! : )

I think the best pixie dust is when a CM goes out of their way to just be extra kind and friendly, whether or not it includes anything free. I think that is where Disney CM's shine as compared to employees at your local grocery store etc. Most of them seem genuinely happy to be there and it's easy to see (I have seen some exceptions to this rule). Last trip we made a list of all the CM's that went above and beyond (by actions or attitude) and emailed it to the guest relations. I think it is important to recognize them when they do a great job. Hopefully they will get some of their own pixie dust!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter