Arrival Day..... What Would You Do?

We have dinner reservations at Ohana (staying at the poly) and we plan on swimming and exploring the resort. I thought about doing a park for the evening, but I dont want to be tired for the next morning...so we will just relax and enjoy the resort! We didn't seem to leave enough time for that last time.

I like your MK plan. When we were at BLT last year, we did MK on arrival day. This year we will be staying at YC, so we are going to swim and then do dinner in Epcot on our arrival day (with maybe a few FP+ depending on how long the kids want to swim for.)

I will always want to do a park on arrival day as long at we get in before bedtime. I have never seen the appeal of DTD.

I like your plan. We would maybe do the same thing. Get over to the park, ride the new ride (7DMT). Then - there's so much magic in the castle show and Wishes! Can't think of a better way to start your trip. In fact it's the way we start and end our trips! Here's what I would do (because I've done it). I'd get a FP+ for Electrical Parade, but NOT Wishes. Once the parade ends, you are in perfect position (will be able to slide up a bit if you want) and see a perfect view of both Celebrate The Magic, followed by Wishes. The Wishes FP+ will move you to the side of the castle, and to me Wishes, without the perfect framing of the castle, is not quite the same. Just my suggestions. FYI - it has been a year and a half since we did the parade/ Wishes FP - so if anything has changed hopefully someone will chime in. Regardless of crowds or where you wind up, I hope you have a magical trip!! Robo has some maps that will help you. Robo????

Thank you for the advice! I'll have to check the maps out to see where Wishes FP viewing is.

Thanks for all the responses!! Another reason I'd like to go to MK on arrival......currently my plan is to not do much the next day. I really don't want to fight crowds all day long. We're staying 8 nights so we'll be visiting the parks after the crowds leave from MLK weekend (hopefully they leave!). So the next day I'm planning on sleeping in, going to DTD for lunch then heading over to Epcot for 3 FP and IllumiNations. I do hope we'll have some time at AoA before heading to MK. Maybe a couple of hours.

We’ll be arriving at the airport at 1:30 on Sat, Jan 16 (MLK weekend). My first thought is to go to MK in the evening, get FP for 7Dwarf, Spectro, and Wishes. I’m thinking with the huge crowd those FP will be beneficial and I’m not really wanting to do a lot of rides. I only want to do this because we won’t be spending a full day in MK until Tuesday. It’s just doesn’t feel like Disney until you see the Castle! We’ll also be in MK a full day on Thursday.

So would you fight the crowds in MK or do something different? Downtown Disney or just stay at the resort AOA?

Also what time would you do the 7Dwarf FP if we go to MK?

We like to do DTD on arrival day. That way we can peruse all the stores to get an idea of what merchandise can be gotten there before we spend the days in the parks. Also we always like to do Raglans at least once so we get that done as well.

We, my wife and I, always travel down to the Happiest Place on Earth in February and as we are from Michigan the first thing we do when we arrive at our favorite place on Earth (the ASMusic) -we go swimming. Our early flight usually gets us at the hotel around 12:30 or 1 PM. Our suits are in our carryon so we are ready to bask in the heat and sun. Something we probably haven't seen in at least 5 months. Our rooms are always ready so it gives us a chance to wind down from the flight and like I said-sit in the sun. Around 5 we head over to the Magic Kingdom for dinner and fireworks. Like almost everyone else has commented-you aren't there until you see the Castle.

We usually do not go into the parks on an arrival day but this year we plan on a few hours in MK. It is supposed to be busy but I have FP for three attractions in fantasy land, and then we will scoot out for dinner at Chef Mickey. I have two little girls with us who have never been, and we are across the lake at the GF, so they will not want to relax. Lol!

After driving from TN, we’ve decided that arrival day will be a little low key; checking into timeshare, little grocery shopping, chilling at the pool then heading to dinner at Chef Mickeys.

The ‘no sleep ‘til I’m dead’ starts early Monday morning :crazy2:

We like to do Epcot on arrival day (usually arriving mid-afternoon, driving in from NC). We'll have FP for Soarin' and Spaceship Earth then stroll around the World Showcase before having dinner. We make staying for Illuminations optional depending on how tired we are from travelling.

We usually do not go into the parks on an arrival day but this year we plan on a few hours in MK. It is supposed to be busy but I have FP for three attractions in fantasy land, and then we will scoot out for dinner at Chef Mickey. I have two little girls with us who have never been, and we are across the lake at the GF, so they will not want to relax. Lol!

I have two girls both 6 and this will be there first time also. I am so excited to take them!

We, my wife and I, always travel down to the Happiest Place on Earth in February and as we are from Michigan the first thing we do when we arrive at our favorite place on Earth (the ASMusic) -we go swimming. .

Eeeek, I've done January before and there was only one day I would have even thought about swimming!! Warmer than up north but not warm enough for swimming! At least not for me :-). We're staying at AoA so I am hoping that my girls will get a chance to use the pool at least once.

We’ll be arriving at the airport at 1:30 on Sat, Jan 16 (MLK weekend). My first thought is to go to MK in the evening, get FP for 7Dwarf, Spectro, and Wishes.

Ha! I just realized I called the parade Spectromagic instead of Elect Parade. The did used to have a parade called Spectromagic didn't they???? Say maybe 10 years ago or so?

If I'm arriving and only have a half day I usually make a reservation for something so we can just relax. I would rather arrive fresh to MK the next morning ready to take it on. Our last trip we made reservations for afternoon tea at the GF and it was amazing and calming and just the thing we needed after traveling.

Yes, but it has been gone several years now. The new parade is the Msin Street Electric Parade. It really is nice

We always hit MK on arrival day. Our plan is to arrive at MCO around 11 am, get to the Poly and go straight to MK. I hope to get their in time to watch the FoF parade.

I have our FP+ starting at 3 pm with Splash. We will watch Wishes and the second MSEP parade.

We will hit RD at Epcot the next morning. We run on pure adrenaline the first 3 days and don't get tired until the 4th day. Then I do a rest day.

Last trip we were checked into our resort by 5PM and went straight to MK. We did the rides we had FP's for, jumped on a few we came across with short standby lines, and played Sorcerers of the MK.

As you're aware, that day will likely be very busy - probably the busiest day of your vacation. You should go. Why? After those crowds the rest of your trip will seem like you have the parks to yourself!

As you're aware, that day will likely be very busy - probably the busiest day of your vacation. You should go. Why? After those crowds the rest of your trip will seem like you have the parks to yourself!

Good Point!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter