Are there Disney movies you DON'T like? Classics, even?

Dumbo
Now it scares the sh$t out of my dd too. My mom says "oh but it's meant to build empathy" bah.

dd also PASSIONATELY dislikes Toy Story

fox and the hound
bambi and pinoccio

really liked fox and the hound and bambi as a child but once i got older and realized that in the fox and the hound and bambi the mother dies in both of the those movies also happens in nemo but i like the cast in nemo! just not right!

Mulan and Pocahontas.

The Incredibles is probably one of my all-time favorite movies, Pixar or not, but I think I dig it because it's kind of dark.

I feel like this is a deep, dark secret. I love Disney, you understand, but I do not like these two movies, which are considered classics:

Pinocchio and Dumbo.

Whew, feels good to get that off my chest! I like Dumbo as a character, but not as a movie. I can't put my finger on why I dislike it.

However, I must say, I just hate Pinocchio all around. I don't like the story, the animation, or the characters (except Jiminy, maybe). I like "When You Wish Upon a Star" but rarely associate it with the movie so much as with Disney as a whole (unfair, perhaps, I realize). I feel like such a jerk for it, but I just can't stand this movie. And Monstro scared me as a kid. Okay, okay, he still scares me now! :laughing: I admit, I think a lot of the detest stems from it all just being creepy to me.

There are plenty of more recent Disney movies that I don't like (the direct to DVD sequels have always bothered me, except for the surprisingly good Aladdin trilogy). But I feel guilt for harboring anything less but admiration for two beloved classics. :scared1:

Okay, I admitted it. Let's hear yours! We won't yell at you... much. :goodvibes

I thought I was alone in hating Pinochio! Went to watch it this past weekend with DGD and remembered why I didn't like it: bad language (jacka** is used several times, kids (donkeys/slaves) cry for their mamas when they are sold to work in the mines for being bad, characters smoke, just not what I want my little girls watching. It is just a dated picture I think.

Havent seen a lot of the classics in a whileeee (i mean more than 5-8 years) so i don't remember the movies & have to see them again.

However, I do not like Bambi or Alice in Wonderland.

Bambi is sad but sooo slow.

One I really do not like is Dumbo. I hate when make up is put on him and he's paraded around like a stage animal. I'm also not a fan of Bambi or 101 Dalmations. It's funny I'm a huge animal lover but I seem to not like Disney movies with animals! There is a lot of dislike on here for Alice in Wonderland, I've loved it since I was three!

Of the classics, only Cinderella and Alice In Wonderland come to mind.

In the modern age, everything since the mid nineties in traditinal animation has been "meh" at best. I just watched Princess and the Frog for the first time the other night and it did nothing for me, although it's much more palatable than Huncback or Pochahontas.

I love the Pixar films, except for the dull as dirt Cars.

:confused3 I *love* Bedknobs and Broomsticks, Alice in Wonderland, Robin Hood, 101 Dalmations, so many of the ones that have been mentioned here. And Cars and Ratatouille are my FAV Pixar movies! :confused3 Maybe I am weird, I can live with that. ;)

I cannot STAND:
Rescuers Down Under
Fox and the Hound
Bambi
Pinocchio
Hunchback of Notre Dame
Monsters Inc (not sure why, even I am mystified by this one, but I just don't like it)
Bolt
Up
Brave Little Toaster or any of its sequels...for that matter, I usually don't like any of the sequels very much

My son had this weird thing for "The Fox and the Hound" and I can't stand it. He would watch it over and over and over... I am glad he's outgrown that phase!

Not fond of Bambi or Dumbo either - too sad for me! I get the artistry, but I want to be entertained. I also don't like the donkey thing in Pinocchio; it freaked me out as a kid and still does.

Alice in Wonderland didn't do it for me. Not sure I want to see the movie either...

Hunchback of Notre Dame: I found some of the subject matter to be really somewhat inappropriate for a Disney animated film.

Escape to Witch Mountain (1975): Just really, really bad.

Hercules: Sure, it's a great movie in general, but doesn't come anywhere close to actual Greek mythology.

Oh gosh.. I more than a couple...

1. Dumbo- I hate the circus (okay, I'm terrified of the circus) and thought it was such a sad movie.
2. Pinocchio- I really really dislike this movie. I don't like Stromboli, Monstro, even Jimminy Cricket.. :(
3. Snow White- No reason.. just dislike it.
4. Bambi- It's cute but too sad.
5. Hunchback- Again, sad, upsetting, etc.

I'm not that great a fan of Bambi, but it has nothing to do with it being sad. While it is unquestionably beautiful, I've always thought it really suffers in terms of characterization. There just really isn't much in terms of character development to me. Thumper is probably the most colorful character, but that's mainly because the child who voiced him wildly overacted.

Still, it is beautiful, and I don't hate it.

Robin Hood does very little for me. Recycled animation, recycled formula, recycled character designs ... it was made on the cheap, and it shows (compared with some of Disney's other work that was made cheaply and did a better job of hiding it).

I'm not particularly happy in general with most of Disney's animation after 101 Dalmatians and prior to The Little Mermaid. It was the heyday of Xerography at the studio, and almost everything had rough, black pencil outlines. I was and am much happier with the flowing, clean lines (in colors complementary with that of the adjacent paint) of earlier work, and which returned in the '90s. Mermaid used Xerography, but with colored toners (and there seems to have been an effort to keep the lines clean and tight). Xerography started on 101 Dalmatians, but for some reason it really enhanced that particular film.

Oliver and company. I thought I remembered liking as a kid bought it last year when re-released it was dark and weird and aweful

Like so many of you I really didn't enjoy Bambi. I was very young at the time and it was so long ago that theaters still had balconies that were the usual sitting area for younger kids and their parents. I cried when I finally grasped the fact that Bambi's mom was not coming back.

I feel a bit like a freak for liking most of the ones you guys have mentioned. Bedknobs and Broomsticks was my favourite film ever for years, I can't tell you how many times I've subjected my brothers to watching that film with me. That and Rescuers Down Under (though, as I've gotten older I don't see so much what I liked about it now. I think it was just the cool Australian animals).

Cinderella is one I never got. I found her annoying and a little just well...blah.

I also don't like many of the pixar films. I can appreciate them for their beauty, but the plots just don't do it for me. Though I love A Bugs Life.

Hunchback of Notre Dame: I found some of the subject matter to be really somewhat inappropriate for a Disney animated film.

Escape to Witch Mountain (1975): Just really, really bad.

Hercules: Sure, it's a great movie in general, but doesn't come anywhere close to actual Greek mythology.

:thumbsup2 I totally agree with you! Especially on the Hunchback of ND. Totally inappropriate! I've already posted my dislikes, but I have to add Oliver and Company. (I still like way more than I don't like!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter