Are there Disney movies you DON'T like? Classics, even?

JennyMP03

DIS Veteran
I feel like this is a deep, dark secret. I love Disney, you understand, but I do not like these two movies, which are considered classics:

Pinocchio and Dumbo.

Whew, feels good to get that off my chest! I like Dumbo as a character, but not as a movie. I can't put my finger on why I dislike it.

However, I must say, I just hate Pinocchio all around. I don't like the story, the animation, or the characters (except Jiminy, maybe). I like "When You Wish Upon a Star" but rarely associate it with the movie so much as with Disney as a whole (unfair, perhaps, I realize). I feel like such a jerk for it, but I just can't stand this movie. And Monstro scared me as a kid. Okay, okay, he still scares me now! :laughing: I admit, I think a lot of the detest stems from it all just being creepy to me.

There are plenty of more recent Disney movies that I don't like (the direct to DVD sequels have always bothered me, except for the surprisingly good Aladdin trilogy). But I feel guilt for harboring anything less but admiration for two beloved classics. :scared1:

Okay, I admitted it. Let's hear yours! We won't yell at you... much. :goodvibes

I actually liked Dumbo except for the trippy hallucination scene :confused:

DGF and I did not care much for Alice in Wonderland (1951 cartoon). Almost the whole movie was like the drunk scene from Dumbo. We loved the live-action version that just came out though :confused3

But of all the Disney movies we've seen our least favorite is Bedknobs and Broomsticks. Did not entertain us at all and it really dragged. We both fell asleep the first time we tried to watch it and I fell asleep again when I tried to watch it a second time. :cloud9: <-- couldn't find a sleeping smiley

"The Black Cauldron". It's boring and scary and weird.

In terms of Pixar, though, I'm not crazy about "The Incredibles".

This is a fun post...I never really got into 101 Dalmations. Truthfully though, not really a dog person here so that may be why. Never saw the live-action one - was it any better?

jg121285, that hallucination scene is what I remember most from Dumbo! What a strange sequence.

j&j620, I asked to receive Bambi as a gift, and though I got it, I've never watched that DVD. It's like I felt I needed to have it for my Disney movie collection, but I don't actually want to watch it again. :laughing: There are certainly cute moments in it, but boy is it sad!

aftertoday, I don't recall The Black Cauldon doing much for me either. However, I'm a huuuuuuge fan of The Incredibles, but that may be because I'm a superhero geek in general. :goodvibes

Thanks, Robert29! You know, 101 Dalmations is not one of my favorites either. I don't remember liking the live-action movie any better. For me, I don't generally care for movies with animal characters as the focus; Finding Nemo and Robin Hood are the Disney exceptions, and I think that's because there are zero or few humans in those movies. When the animals and humans begin interacting (such as in 101 Dalmations or the Fox and the Hound), I find it hard to suspend my disbelief. Seems contrary to say since I apparently have no trouble with fish and birds chatting with each other. :laughing:

j&j620, I asked to receive Bambi as a gift, and though I got it, I've never watched that DVD. It's like I felt I needed to have it for my Disney movie collection, but I don't actually want to watch it again. :laughing: There are certainly cute moments in it, but boy is it sad!

Seriously! My student teacher decided one rainy afternoon that she was going to show it to my kindergarten class. I asked, "Are you sure you want to do that?" and she didn't really seem to understand why I was questioning her plan. 5 crying kiddos later, she got it. Oh well, I guess it was a learning experience for her! :teacher:

This was a tough questions...but here are mine:

The Rescuers
Cinderella
Pocahontas

Seriously! My student teacher decided one rainy afternoon that she was going to show it to my kindergarten class. I asked, "Are you sure you want to do that?" and she didn't really seem to understand why I was questioning her plan. 5 crying kiddos later, she got it. Oh well, I guess it was a learning experience for her! :teacher:

The first time I saw Bambi was when I was in kindergarten. It was not a happy experience.

It sounds like we all have similar taste here-

The only thing I like about Bambi is Thumperr. Pinnochio is rather disturbing. My kids are not crazy about Dumbo either but I like it. BTW, 101 Dalmations is my DD's favorite movie.

Of the newer Disney classics I just didn't get Hercules or Pocohantas. And from Pixar we don't like A Bug's Life Much.

Hunchback of Notre Dame. It has some beautiful music, but it came out when my daughter was fairly young and, afterward, I was sorry that I had taken her to it. Only time I ever felt that about a Disney movie. May=ny years later we saw the stage show at the Studios- that was wonderful, much better than the movie.

I agree with a lot of what people said. I don't like:

Dumbo
101 Dalmations
Bambi
Snow White

And I don't really like *gasp* Winnie the Pooh and his friends. :scared1:

None of these inspire hate or anything...maybe Snow White though... but just an "eh" feeling. I'm not sure how I feel about all the direct to video sequels either....

Up... it's sad and depressing, and the talking dog thing and the freaky bird Kevin were just too odd. I didn't buy it when it came out because that's how much I disliked it. Me, not buying a Disney movie! Shocking! :lmao:

I also could do without a lot of the sequels. The Return of Jafar and Jungle Book 2. Not a fan.

The Sword in the Stone, Hunchback of Notre Dame, HATED The Wild and I would rather break a bone than sit through Mulan again! The Kimoto Dragon ruined the whole thing for me! I almost feel like I am committing a sin for admitting this! (But I have to agree with J&J620, it does feel better!)
PS, I almost forgot The Great Mouse Detective.

But of all the Disney movies we've seen our least favorite is Bedknobs and Broomsticks. Did not entertain us at all and it really dragged. We both fell asleep the first time we tried to watch it and I fell asleep again when I tried to watch it a second time. :cloud9: <-- couldn't find a sleeping smiley

Really? I loved bedknobs & Broomsticks. It's one of my all time favorites!

Alice in Wonderland~ I think this may be only one of the few Disney movies I don't own...Way too trippy for me :hippie:. Does not give me a warm fuzzy when I watched it; it actually made me nervous;).

Also, Dumbo isn't my fave but I do own it cause he's sweet :hug:.

mulan, the hunchback of norte dame, and Pinocchio. and the only pixar movie i did not care for would be the Incredibles.

I don't like Hunchback, Bambi.
For Pixar movies, I don't like Ratatouille. The story is good but I can't get over the rats in the kitchen. -- shudder--

Of the oldies I'm not very fond of Pinocchio, though Dumbo was my all-time favorite disney classic when I was a kid.

Of the new classics I really don't like Pocahontas and Hunchback and most of the 2000's disney titles (Atlantis, Home of the Range, The Wild for example).

This last decade has brought us mainly excelent movies from Pixar (can't think of any of them that I don't like, maybe Cars is my least favorite of them) and of course the instant Classic "Lilo & Stitch", but most of the others didn't win my heart.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!