• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Are covid shut downs coming to a town near you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seemed to work perfectly in New Zealand.
New Zealand and Australia are on the COVID extinction path purely for their country. At this point while we should be keeping up with how they are doing, what measures they are taking and how their countries are faring we cannot compare them to other countries who are not on an extinction path because the pathways are just too far apart. If you'd like to know how they treat any (and I do mean any) resurgence in cases you can check out the Covid and the Rest of Us thread for more information.

It's been real out there for a long time for a lot of people.

As someone laid off due to covid I agree but for many, especially in states not hit hard by the first wave, it is going to be their first taste of our new reality. I also think this winter will be much worse for all of us, including those still trying to dig out from the first wave.

As someone laid off due to covid I agree but for many, especially in states not hit hard by the first wave, it is going to be their first taste of our new reality. I also think this winter will be much worse for all of us, including those still trying to dig out from the first wave.

We've had the double whammy of hurricanes + Covid in Louisiana. I fear what January will look like.

The person seems to be talking about economic factors. A lot of states shut down businesses en masse and companies laid off workers left and right and all regardless of the virus hitting them at that time or not.

When she says "it's been real" she means there are a lot of people who have had realities of this situation forced upon them.

Unemployment has been getting better as places reopened in comparison to months prior but 709,000 unemployment claims were filed last week.

We've been in a perpetual state of limbo for months. Most elder care facilities and hospitals limit who can enter. My local movie theatre is showing exactly 1 showing of 1 movie per day. Restaurants are running at 50% capacity.

Our county has had a spike in cases recently. If it continues for another week, all schools will be going virtual for the foreseeable future.

I've been working at home since March. My office did open to essential employees, but it won't be open for everyone until at least June.

We've been in a perpetual state of limbo for months. Most elder care facilities and hospitals limit who can enter. My local movie theatre is showing exactly 1 showing of 1 movie per day. Restaurants are running at 50% capacity.

Our county has had a spike in cases recently. If it continues for another week, all schools will be going virtual for the foreseeable future.

I've been working at home since March. My office did open to essential employees, but it won't be open for everyone until at least June.

My husband just got an email saying they will return to the office in mid-June. Crazy.

I don't see our school closing anytime soon. We get emails every week about positive cases, but no closings. I would not be surprised if they tried to close between Thanksgiving and Christmas, though.

Yeah I know. I think we all know and agree on that. I'm truly sorry if you lost your income and health insurance. I have been there. Been laid off 2 times (once right after I closed on my house).
Now consider how that would feel if everything is shut down, millions of other people are also losing their jobs, and people are advocating for a 6 week lockdown, delaying the point at which you could even hope to find something. Oh, and do it without health insurance in a pandemic.

Now consider how that would feel if everything is shut down, millions of other people are also losing their jobs, and people are advocating for a 6 week lockdown, delaying the point at which you could even hope to find something. Oh, and do it without health insurance in a pandemic.

I am not sure why you are driving this home so hard to me. I am not for any 6 week lockdown. I don't think it will happen. It never really happened where I live, either. Partial shut down at most.

P.S. I don't think healthcare should be tied to your employer, but that's a different thread for a different forum.

It's been real out there for a long time for a lot of people.
Yep, I hear you. My husband lost his job of 23 years in September and I haven't worked in several years, so no income. We have a mortgage, property tax is due and all the usual bills. He did apply for unemployment and got first check several weeks ago, although it's only 40%(I believe) of what he was making before. We have no health insurance but have now applied and gotten Covered CA. It doesn't take effect until January. We've been on the phone every day to Medical so that we're covered for November and December-lines are busy, can't get through. This is a living nightmare.

I teach at a private school which relies on tuition to run, so we were told that we won't be closing. A teacher recently tested positive, and we are still open. This is also a school that offers no benefits. I'm lucky enough to be on a spouse's insurance, but others aren't so lucky.

Yep, I hear you. My husband lost his job of 23 years in September and I haven't worked in several years, so no income. We have a mortgage, property tax is due and all the usual bills. He did apply for unemployment and got first check several weeks ago, although it's only 40%(I believe) of what he was making before. We have no health insurance but have now applied and gotten Covered CA. It doesn't take effect until January. We've been on the phone every day to Medical so that we're covered for November and December-lines are busy, can't get through. This is a living nightmare.

hugs to you.

I am so sorry. That is absolutely devastating.

Of course it did (for very obvious reasons).

But I wasn't talking about a stand alone island with a very low population. I was talking about Europe.

Lockdowns delay the inevitable and destroy the economy/livelihoods. There are other ways to die besides this pandemic.
Hope you are right since too many have no desire to be safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter