Are 2042 Resorts Worth it?

I think it's worth it as you still have plenty of time to use it, and sometimes those are cheaper

For us, no math involved, BCV has more personal worth than our other homes, which last until 2057, because we have a chance of using our BCV until The End. In 2042 we'll be 86. Plus the WS is now our 'go to' destination and HS has morth 'worth' to us than the MK.

we bought our first DVC contract last year - 2042 OKW. And then we just added on a brand new BWV contract. since both are technically owned by my 60-something year old parents, a 20 year contract is perfect for us, especially at the resorts we love the most.

With the current depressed resale value, the 2042 contracts don't seem too bad. But in general, I say avoid if possible

We're a relatively young family (mid-30s with a 3 yo and 8 month old) and we ended up adding a Boulder Ridge contract. Prior to this add-on we shunned the idea of a 2042 contract, but after a couple stays over at the lodge (on the Copper Creek side funny enough), we fell in love with the resort. Love the refurb at Boulder Ridge (and that the studios/1BRs there sleep 5), and found a really great deal on a loaded contract and we just couldn't say no! Point balancing for the cabins scare us at Copper Creek, as does fights for studios at 11 months. Even if ends in 2042 and no option to extend, we still have a ton of points over at SSR, RIV, and VGF to last us well into retirement.

In your personal opinion, are 2042 DVC resorts worth the resale purchase in 2023 for an every other year vacation strategy?
With the 2023 Dip in Resale Prices, and the fact that we love the Crescent Lake Resorts,
buying BWV at $100/PP was definitely worth it.
I assess it this way:
I saved $130/PP vs Direct
$130/$8.53 (Current MF) = 15.24 years
I know MFs will increase, but a ROM estimate is that the savings in Resale$ vs Direct$ will effectively offset my MFs for 10-15 years, with only 18 years of MF remaining.
I'm feeling pretty good about that. :thumbsup2

The 2042 prices do not seem to be dropping any greater than the other resorts. While the prices are cheaper it still may not be "worth it" if you are flexible in your stays and not completely must have a crescent lake resort.

The 2042 prices do not seem to be dropping any greater than the other resorts. While the prices are cheaper it still may not be "worth it" if you are flexible in your stays and not completely must have a crescent lake resort.

They are not dropping faster but at least they are coming down to a level that may make someone buy who wants that area!

It seems to me that BWV can be a pretty good deal. We have stayed at BCV but not BW, not sure why BCV seems to be more expensive? I'm guessing it's the pool area, we'll try to stay at BW in the future and see for ourselves. I was actually thinking of buying some BC or BW and selling one of my VGF contracts but DW said no way, VGF is her favorite.

The problem with avoiding all 2042 resorts is, depending on ability to change vacation days and willingness to do split stays, resort experience is eliminated. By 2012 we found ourselves locked out of BC so we added on a small contract specifically for Fall. Just this year we tried to add days to our October BC and there was no availability. DH is split stay adverse so we WL'd BC and moved to SSR.

I agree when you are young choosing a 2042 resort seems questionable but 18 years is a lot of vacations, even if experienced every 3 years. Plus 18 years from now you'll have different destinations you'll want to experience.

I'm planning three big vacations, and maybe a fourth if I'm not decrepit, so not being able to stay at Riviera or future resorts when I could choose 9 other existing resorts, is not an issue. When I post the next Instant Sale prices versus Broker estimate and Direct, I'll include the cost of the direct members 10% discount card (plus a few other extras) for each resort.

It seems to me that BWV can be a pretty good deal. We have stayed at BCV but not BW, not sure why BCV seems to be more expensive? I'm guessing it's the pool area, we'll try to stay at BW in the future and see for ourselves. I was actually thinking of buying some BC or BW and selling one of my VGF contracts but DW said no way, VGF is her favorite.
It is smaller and it is for stormalong bay. I chose to buy BCV because I had a good deal in 2020. But I stayed at BWV 3 times on rented points before buying. Love the area.

You'll always get more extreme opinion on this topic. Just like many things in life, they are worth it to you but not to others. These type of purchase always have emotion involve, unless you're 200% a number person and your decision making based entirely on spreadsheets and numbers only, then there's nothing else can change your mind.

First, we aren't DVC members (yet), we are looking and working on it😊 As someone buying their first ever DVC contract, the 2042 was definitely one of the discussions in our family. We had done and seen the numbers, but after our recent trip (last month), we decided 2042 is absolutely not a deal breaker, because we want to stay where we love most.
We stayed at SSR this past trip, and we liked the resort but don't love it. So while we know for the fact buying into SSR will be a better value since we can get 12 more years out of it, we simply just can't do it because we don't love the resort. I don't even know if we will want to stay there again unless I'm booking a very last minute trip and that's the only availability. (BTW no offense if you love SSR, it's just not our vibe! But we do love how easy it is to get to DS!) We do minimum 2 non-park days when we go to Disney, and I need to know that if we are "stuck" with our home resort at 7-months, we will still be excited and happy as a clam because we love our home resort and will enjoy every second of it. That to me, is why year 2042 is still worth it! 💸😂 Everything at the resort from the theming to villas, dining, pools, amenities, grounds, and how we feel when we are there...we take all of that into consideration when choosing the potential home resort.

Another big factor I can see why many people will not even consider the 2042 resorts - they would like to pass it down their family members. In this case, I absolutely agree 2042 resorts aren't worth it. But we aren't do that, and we don't even know where life would take us in 10 years (heck not even 5 years!), let alone 19?!? But knowing for the next 19 years, if we are healthy and able to do so, we will be staying at one of the Disney resorts we love most, is what important to our family. I will take happiest 19 years vs okay with it 30+ years.

Bottom line is, worth it or not based entirely on how you value your money. Life is short, do what makes you and your family HAPPY! 🥰:stitch::donald::mickeyjum

Last edited:

Ok, so my adult children suddenly love Disney again and buying vs renting is suddenly something I would consider.

Is the spreadsheet a good spot to get up to start getting up to speed with what one might need to know to make a decision? Is there something else that could quickly educate me about what you all are talking about here? :)

I take it "2042" is a new ownership deal that Disney cooked up, but at 2042 your ownership is terminated?

Ok, so my adult children suddenly love Disney again and buying vs renting is suddenly something I would consider.

Is the spreadsheet a good spot to get up to start getting up to speed with what one might need to know to make a decision? Is there something else that could quickly educate me about what you all are talking about here? :)

I take it "2042" is a new deal that Disney cooked up, but at 2042 your ownership is terminated?
Yes in 2042 you contract is finish.

I take it "2042" is a new ownership deal that Disney cooked up, but at 2042 your ownership is terminated?

The 2042 Resorts are referring to the DVC resorts that currently have a 2042 deed expiration. Your contract will be done that year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter