Are 2042 Resorts Worth it?

I take it "2042" is a new ownership deal that Disney cooked up, but at 2042 your ownership is terminated?
All DVC resorts terminate at a date set when the condominium association for that resort is first established. The oldest DVC resorts - OKW, HHI, VB, BWV, BRV, BCV - all terminate on January 31, 2042. SSR was the first one to have its "own" termination date (January 31, 2054) and all new DVC resorts established after that have termination dates approximately 50 years from their creation.

In other words, as of February 1, 2042, my husband and I will no longer be DVC owners (BWV is our only DVC home resort).

Personally not for me but who knows.. I have a conference coming up and the conference rooms are at Boardwalk.. watch me leave that conference 20k poorer 😭
A Primavera Users Conference in 1998 was my first stay at the Y&B Club!
It’s been our absolute favorite location ever since.
Also had a couple conferences at Swan & Dolphin.

Maybe. Rental demand has softened significantly. Also DVC rental stores prices are so inflated right now versus the disney discounted cash rates that I have to imagine they’re going to struggle soon if they aren’t already.
I calculated renting vs booking directly from Disney and it still saved me money.

All DVC resorts terminate at a date set when the condominium association for that resort is first established. The oldest DVC resorts - OKW, HHI, VB, BWV, BRV, BCV - all terminate on January 31, 2042. SSR was the first one to have its "own" termination date (January 31, 2054) and all new DVC resorts established after that have termination dates approximately 50 years from their creation.

In other words, as of February 1, 2042, my husband and I will no longer be DVC owners (BWV is our only DVC home resort).
And then they tried that little experiment at OKW where folks could extend 15 years to 2057. We were offered and declined. Always made us think that since they never pursued that approach with other resorts, it wasn't a big success at OKW, and not worth the effort. It does make OKW and interesting site, though - with many of the points expiring in 2042, and many in 2057. It always is in the back of our minds that it could be in Disney's best interest to offer the extension again to the OKW owners - might be more interest as the expiration date approaches.

This is why I focused my resale purchase on a 2042 resort. I like that by the time our daughter is up and out of the house (and we are closer to retirement), the deed expires. Seems like good timing all around and you just can't beat the crescent lake location!
This is one of the things I really like at BWV. My contracts will expire when I'm 84 (hoping I don't expire first). Who knows what the liability of maintenance fees would be if I left them to my adult kids. Who knows if they'll want them. I didn't buy for resale value, and I've been fortunate not to HAVE to sell. All I knew was when I saw Boardwalk, I wanted to stay there. The BC contract I picked up in 2008 for $82 pp fully loaded. How could I not buy that? It isn't my favourite resort though, I often use them for other resorts at 7 months.

ETA: My adult kids have told me that they'll be happy to use my points when I no longer can. :thumbsup2 I raised a couple of Disney fans.

Last edited:
Only if its a resort you really want and could not book otherwise. BCV - need home point advantage to book there. BWV - need home points for standard view rooms. If looking for best value for long-term resale, I would buy CCV - part of the legacy resorts with a 2068 date, and point chart in line with original resorts. Also the chance of getting an alternate studio is like winning the CCV lottery during a studio stay
What is the alternate studio... suddenly considering here instead of SSR as a mixed use contract... I do like FW anyway.

But is it that easy to rent these days?? There are so many owners wanting to rent points right now.
I’ve never had a problem renting out my points. I rented all the 2021, 2022 and 2023 points I won’t be using myself, and have rented plenty of times in the past.

The problem with avoiding all 2042 resorts is, depending on ability to change vacation days and willingness to do split stays, resort experience is eliminated. By 2012 we found ourselves locked out of BC so we added on a small contract specifically for Fall. Just this year we tried to add days to our October BC and there was no availability. DH is split stay adverse so we WL'd BC and moved to SSR.

I agree when you are young choosing a 2042 resort seems questionable but 18 years is a lot of vacations, even if experienced every 3 years. Plus 18 years from now you'll have different destinations you'll want to experience.
We just purchased a small BC resale for that exact same reason.

I know this was a while ago, but I just happened to watch a video showing an Alternate Studio… I had no idea.

We got one of these for the family on our last trip to CCV. Very nice room. I think I got lucky as we had the GV on the 5th floor and I had booked this room and asked for the same floor. Didn't know there was only one per floor.

So basically it's like having a mini 1BR without the kitchen/laundry for studio points lmao
Yes, basically. :)

We got one of these for the family on our last trip to CCV. Very nice room. I think I got lucky as we had the GV on the 5th floor and I had booked this room and asked for the same floor. Didn't know there was only one per floor.
Nice, so you got the one in the same floor?

I’ve been watching all I can about CCV ever since I determined it’s SAP+ lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter