April 2012 trip, Dl,Yosemite, sequoia

tink70

artistmarnie.com
I am starting to plan a trip to Cali, for April. We are coming from Ct, plan on flying into Lax. Plan on spending 3 days at Dl, then driving to the sequoia park for one Day, then traveling onto Yosemite for 2 days.
My questions are:
Is it worthwhile visiting Yosemite in April?
Should I double back and fly home from lax again?
Any recommendations for hotels? Nice pool, etc.
Or is it too cool for pools?
Does my trip seem feasible?
I have 8 days available for the vacation, I am trying to leave 2 days for travel knowing it's alot of traveling for us. I want to enjoy the trip, not rush through it.
Thanks in advance for any help.

It will depend a lot and how the Winter goes weather wise, but it's may have a lot of snow in the mountain in April. It's a bit of a gamble to make reservations right now and worse if you mean early verses later April.

You would likely want to do a RT flight from LAX but SF is closer if you want two one way tickets. Also LAX may not be the best option in LA.

A lot of people like to stay in Mariposa below Yosemite. Swimming is a bit questionable.

Have you ever been to San Francisco? You can make the 2 day trip up Highway 1, and see Redwoods near Santa Cruz. SF is great to visit over a few days. This may be a good alternative to risking snow in the Sierras.

We are going around the 8th of April, which of course is early. I am trying to plan it during my sons vacation. I have never been out west so any info is helpful thank you.
I thought LAX was the best option, what other airport do you recommend?
Are the redwoods as nice as the sequoia parks?
Thanks again!

Well if it were me I would fly into John Wayne airport. It ecould go either way for Yosemite. It could still have snow on the ground. It is a very winding road. You could always call the visitors center and talk with the park rangers up there. I would leave out of SanFransico instead of driving back. That way your not stressed for time and more time to do other things. There are alot of things to see in Frisco.

I thought LAX was the best option, what other airport do you recommend?
Are the redwoods as nice as the sequoia parks?
Thanks again!

Yes as the PP noted John Wayne, SNA is very close to DLR, small so simple to get out of so it's the obvious first choice. It's problem with being small is every airline doesn't service it. Long Beach would be the second choice, and LAX the third.

When you decide on you airline don't just do it solely on price, also consider how much to get to the resort and the rental car situation. You don't need a a car while at DLR, so you may save there by getting one for less time. There are several rental companies near DLR to pick up a car later or drop off if you end at DLR.

Take a look at this thread about the airport to DLR situation.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2318297

Also in case you don't know about the DLR hotels, read this one before making a choice.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1199862

If you haven't been, the redwoods or the sequoias are both spectacular.

If you don't do Highway 1 up the coast. Try going to Muir Woods National Monument, it's only several miles more after crossing the Golden Gate Bridge, to see the redwoods there.

Early April Yosemite may be very snowy. Like I was saying it's not possible to tell how Winter will end, when we are still at the beginning. The Yosemite Valley is always open(you don't drive you takea bus in), but the waterfalls can be meager when the water is held as snow and not flowing over the cliffs.

At the Sequoias snow is not as common and more limited to high elevations and the core season. The Sequoia parks are spread over a large area.

You may also consider doing the trip in the opposite order. I would do this to finish at DLR. Though being Spring break it may not be as pleasant to end in a crowded situation.

Ski and the others have lots of good advice, including the fact that it's likely to be snowy (so carry tire chains). But I disagree with the following:

A lot of people like to stay in Mariposa below Yosemite.

Although Mariposa likes to bill itself as the "gateway to Yosemite" in order to generate tourist dollars, it's too far away to use as a home base to Yosemite. It's well over an hour away, perhaps an hour and a quarter to an hour and a half. And that hour+ is down twisty canyon roads that, while the scenery is interesting, make for a very difficult drive, leaving you (or at least me) feeling drained. I would highly recommend that you either stay in the valley (Yosemite Lodge, Curry Camp, etc), or no further away than El Portal. El Portal has a couple of nice motels. I've stayed at the Yosemite View Lodge, and it's a nice motel, right on the Merced River.

-Bob

I agree with GrandBob. I would not want to make the drive down (and back up)the mountain from Mariposa every day. We had a family suite at the Cedar Lodge (sister property to Yosemite View). It wasn't anything fancy (similar to a Holiday Inn) but had indoor and outdoor pools, small beach down on the river and a restaurant. Of course, we went in July when all the snow was melted. I don't know if I would want to drive some of those roads (if they were even open) in the snow.

That's why I come to the disboards. So much helpful info. I was going to stay in mariposa, and now know it is a bad idea. I am also thinking I will plan my trip without Yosemite, and if it is too snowy, we will end our trip in san Fran.
Coming from new England and not liking cold weather, I will avoid it when possible!
Thanks again everyone, and happy new year!

Let me explain why I suggest Mariposa over El Portal. This will be a quick Yosemite visit. Most likely a day will be all that is needed, so it's only drive up and back once.

The reason is the snow. An April visit will be limited to the canyon and won't involve long hikes, or long hours.

From Mariposa it's an hour closer to Sequoia.

To be realistic in 8 days during Springs Break, DLR needs 3-4 days. Yosemite 1, Sequoia 1. Leaving 2 days for Travel. If using SF, 3 days there would be nice but 1 will have to work. It would be a shame to not see SF and only drive through to the airports.

The way I see this working out is. Day 1 arrive in DL, hoepfully early to make it a park evening. Day 2-3 DL. Day 4 drive through Sequoia and onto(Mariposa). Day 5 Yosemite. Day 6 to SF. Day 7 SF. Day 8 maybe SF morning and leave California.

If no SF. Day 1 arrive, DL night. Day 2-4 DL. Day 5 drive through Sequoia and to Fresno or Mariposa, this would be a long day. Or drive strait to Yosemite this would make El Portal a viable option. Day 6 Yosemite. Day 7 Yosemite and drive back to LAX.

You could easily keep the 3 days at DL for the end of the No SF trip. Shifting day 5-7 forward and finishing with DL.

For crowds at DL, be ready they will be big, and if you can work it out to be there midweek that will happen a little. If you go to SF ebing there on a weekend can result in cheaper hotels rooms in some parts of the city. It's a business city and tourist city.

Well, tink70 has decided not to do Yosemite, which I think is a shame, as it's beautiful in spring. So the rest is moot. But just in case...

I think it would be a mistake to try to do both Sequoia and Yosemite in back-to-back days. If it were me, I'd just skip Sequoia and take my time in Yosemite, giving it a second day if necessary.

Also, if she's coming up from the south, she would do better to stay around Oakhurst or Fish Camp rather than Mariposa (though I still recommend in the park). Oakhurst is just as far from the valley as Mariposa, but the road is easier and more scenic. I've also stayed at Tenaya Lodge in Fish Camp near the south entrance, and it's gorgeous, though a little pricey. It would make a wonderful stop.

-Bob

Grand bob- I am still thinking about Yosemite, not sure when I will get out west again and I really want to see it. I am taking everyone's advice into consideration. I'm thinking I will make my trip flexible, that way if it is a mild winter we can go.
Thanks again!
Marnie

Well, tink70 has decided not to do Yosemite, which I think is a shame, as it's beautiful in spring. So the rest is moot. But just in case...

I think it would be a mistake to try to do both Sequoia and Yosemite in back-to-back days. If it were me, I'd just skip Sequoia and take my time in Yosemite, giving it a second day if necessary.

Also, if she's coming up from the south, she would do better to stay around Oakhurst or Fish Camp rather than Mariposa (though I still recommend in the park). Oakhurst is just as far from the valley as Mariposa, but the road is easier and more scenic. I've also stayed at Tenaya Lodge in Fish Camp near the south entrance, and it's gorgeous, though a little pricey. It would make a wonderful stop.

-Bob

I can second Bob's recommendation for Tenaya Lodge and Oakhurst. The south entrance is closest to Mariposa Grove and Glacier Point. It is also a very easy and scenic drive down to the valley. Didn't mind the extra 45 minutes or so it took to drive at all.

I am starting to plan a trip to Cali, for April. We are coming from Ct, plan on flying into Lax. Plan on spending 3 days at Dl, then driving to the sequoia park for one Day, then traveling onto Yosemite for 2 days.
My questions are:
Is it worthwhile visiting Yosemite in April?
Should I double back and fly home from lax again?
Any recommendations for hotels? Nice pool, etc.
Or is it too cool for pools?
Does my trip seem feasible?
I have 8 days available for the vacation, I am trying to leave 2 days for travel knowing it's alot of traveling for us. I want to enjoy the trip, not rush through it.
Thanks in advance for any help.

We did this trip two years ago, flew into San Fransisco, went to Yosemite for a few days, went to Sequioa for a few days, continued on to Disneyland for a week, then flew home out of LAX.

We LOVED Yosemite so much!!!! We are planning to go back this summer and spend more time!!!

If I only had 8 days, I'd skip Sequoia and just catch the giant trees in Yosemite.

We did this trip two years ago, flew into San Fransisco, went to Yosemite for a few days, went to Sequioa for a few days, continued on to Disneyland for a week, then flew home out of LAX.

We LOVED Yosemite so much!!!! We are planning to go back this summer and spend more time!!!

If I only had 8 days, I'd skip Sequoia and just catch the giant trees in Yosemite.

That sounds like a good idea. Are the trees in yosemite similiar to the sequoia park? Being from New England I am told the large trees make our trees look like shrubs, and I was looking forward to seeing that.
When did you take your trip? I am wondering if April is too early to see the beauty of yosemite.....

That sounds like a good idea. Are the trees in yosemite similiar to the sequoia park? Being from New England I am told the large trees make our trees look like shrubs, and I was looking forward to seeing that.
When did you take your trip? I am wondering if April is too early to see the beauty of yosemite.....

Yes, the Mariposa Grove in Yosemite is a large grove of giant sequoias (Sequoiadendron giganteum), the same species as in Sequoia Natl Park and Kings Canyon Natl Park. Of course, Sequoia Natl Park has the General Sherman tree, the largest (by volume) tree in the world. But those in the Mariposa Grove in Yosemite are plenty big, believe me.

As a bonus, Mariposa Grove is right at the south entrance of Yosemite, about 5 minutes away from Tenaya Lodge. So if you decide to stay there, it will be very convenient to seeing those trees.

-Bob

Yes, the sequoias do make our trees here in new England seem really small!!!!

We took our trip in July, so I can't really comment on April.

This year we are going in August. My choice would be June, but August is when we can all go, so August it will be.

We have been to many, many National Parks, Yosemite is a gem, our favorite by far!!!

Hope you have a good trip!!!

Thanks fort wildernesses home! Still working on details of trip, I am thinking we are going to wait till next year and go during the summer. That way we should have nicer weather and scenery.
Thanks everone for the great tips. All the information was so helpful!:worship:

Yosemite NP is simply amazing. I agree that you should stay in El Portal and probably take advantage of Yosemite View Lodge. It is very close to the gate of Yosemite NP. Perfect for getting to the valley floor. You probably won't want to make the drive to the Mariposa area if there is alot of snow on the ground.

Be careful if you decide to fly into LA and then fly out of SF. Rental car companies typically charge you a HUGE drop off fee for doing that. Sometimes as much as a plane ticket. Keep your eye out for that.

Hope you have a great trip!

I have some good pics of Yosemite View Lodge if you would like to see them and the surrounding area up there.

Where do you plan on staying at DL?

Yosemite NP is simply amazing. I agree that you should stay in El Portal and probably take advantage of Yosemite View Lodge. It is very close to the gate of Yosemite NP. Perfect for getting to the valley floor. You probably won't want to make the drive to the Mariposa area if there is alot of snow on the ground.

Be careful if you decide to fly into LA and then fly out of SF. Rental car companies typically charge you a HUGE drop off fee for doing that. Sometimes as much as a plane ticket. Keep your eye out for that.

Hope you have a great trip!

I have some good pics of Yosemite View Lodge if you would like to see them and the surrounding area up there.

Where do you plan on staying at DL?

Not sure where we are staying yet, I wanted to stay at the Disneyland hotel, but it looks pretty pricey, so I am not sure. I would love to see your pics if you can post them. It's more info to convince my DH about the trip! Thanks in advance!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter