AP Sales Paused

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to think they will resume sales in January, but if it's not by Jan 7, we are screwed.

I am just so upset. When it rains it pours.

Take a breath. They might come back after Thanksgiving with higher prices or different blackout dates. At least give them a week to announce what they are going to do.

Everyone! Don't forget! Tons of people used to go during a blackout date and then upgrade into an AP. People did it all the time to get around the blackout. Pausing the AP upgrade during Thanksgiving is enforcing the blackout date.

This matters especially for this year with the Sorcerer/Gold/Pirate/Silver now blacking out Thanksgiving 2021.

I mean, I guess they could have just paused Sorcerer/Pirate, but I am hopeful this is temporary for the holiday rush.

I screwed up big time. My DD is doing the Disney College Program and we have many trips planned starting Jan 2 - end of August.

I have not been focused on Disney plans and did not buy the vouchers we needed. It got pushed down the to-do list.

I simply have been overwhelmed with a large home improvement project, my DH has had an identity theft issue, my kid is completely changing up her college plan and needs a million doc appointments before she leaves, holidays are coming up and my job is going through a transition that will drastically reduce my hours (though I'm working non-stop at the moment).

I'd like to think they will resume sales in January, but if it's not by Jan 7, we are screwed.

I am just so upset. When it rains it pours.
I hear you. I meant to pre-buy the sorcerer's passes for my two boys for our February trip, and didn't, and now there's a chance I won't get them in time for that trip! I didn't see a reason to rush right now, since we aren't going into the parks for this Thanksgiving trip as Sorcerer's Pass (the new Gold) blocks out Thanksgiving for the first time ever. Arrrrrgh! I had this same issue back in 2019, where I was going to do the "buy day passes and then upgrade" thing during our big trip, and then the AP rates jumped significantly in cost, and decided NOT to get APs for that trip due to the cost, and would just buy them for our trip in February 2021 since we also had trips in November and December and the AP would cover all 3 of them (as opposed to buying in 2019 and having to renew for the November & December trips). When the pandemic started, I worried that post-pandemic Disney would increase prices, so I jumped online to purchase APs for husband and kids (I had an active one already, as my job pre-pandemic took me often to Irvine, so I had a Premier Pass), and I was literally in the process of buying them - had them in my cart - and was in the process of checking out when they literally stopped sales and I couldn't complete the transaction. I called Disney hoping that because I had been in the process of buying them, they'd let me complete it, especially as I could prove/show they were in my cart, but no dice. I really wish now I had bought the vouchers for the boys! I have the worst luck in my timing. But at least I did jump on to get my husband his AP (as he and I are going for a long weekend in December to celebrate a dear friend's birthday; the kids are not coming on that trip), but if I hadn't, I'd be weeping again, that's for sure.

Many here are blaming the reservation system, and probably rightly so.
However, notice they are still selling day tickets. I guess the reservation system isn’t overwhelmed if you’re willing to pay more.

The regular tickets and the annual passes are pulled from two completely different pools. They are also impacted whether you are a Disney Resort guest or not.

If you look at availability you can see on some days regular tickets have reservations available but APs do not.

Everyone! Don't forget! Tons of people used to go during a blackout date and then upgrade into an AP. People did it all the time to get around the blackout. Pausing the AP upgrade during Thanksgiving is enforcing the blackout date.

This matters especially for this year with the Sorcerer/Gold/Pirate/Silver now blacking out Thanksgiving 2021.

I mean, I guess they could have just paused Sorcerer/Pirate, but I am hopeful this is temporary for the holiday rush.

And this is likely also a player in the decision. I used to use park tickets to upgrade to Platinum AP during all those years of Free Dining .... but guess I didn't think about the people using tickets to get around block out dates to then put towards an AP. This is a great way for Disney to close that loophole with less flack than if they just said the tickets used for AP upgrades can only be used towards APs without the existing tickets dates blocked out. Seems reasonable enough.

Last edited:
The rapid changes Disney has going on right now are dizzying.
Disney quickly went from a near all inclusive and kowing how all the systems worked to let me arrange airport transportation, figure out genie+, LL, make park reservations, figure out if I need to renew an AP because it might be gone next time I want it and how does that availability play with my DVC points?

That’s before you consider price increases.

I for one hope DVC does expand to more locations though I realize that’s HIGHLY unlikely. Right now the kids want the parks but we can fly to Hawaii for the cost of APs and there’s always a carrier willing to take you there.

If this move has anyone renewing a future AP solely to avoid being caught without one, Disney has successfully recreated a FOMO Vault for APs.

Many here are blaming the reservation system, and probably rightly so.
However, notice they are still selling day tickets. I guess the reservation system isn’t overwhelmed if you’re willing to pay more.

Except when you buy day tickets they are date based and you know ahead of time if your days are still there.

APs without resort reservations are different. So don’t think it’s the same.

The regular tickets and the annual passes are pulled from two completely different pools. They are also impacted whether you are a Disney Resort guest or not.

If you look at availability you can see on some days regular tickets have reservations available but APs do not.
If I’m an AP holder, I’m not spending any more money once inside the park just because of the pass used for entry. But I can still buy my way in (I’m one person either way towards the capacity cap).

Park reservation system is completely to blame. It’s shutting out group A and letting in group B because the dollar sign on my head isn’t big enough for Bob that day.

If I’m an AP holder, I’m not spending any more money once inside the park just because of the pass used for entry. But I can still buy my way in (I’m one person either way towards the capacity cap).

Park reservation system is completely to blame. It’s shutting out group A and letting in group B because the dollar sign on my head isn’t big enough for Bob that day.

Okay .... maybe for you, not necessarily for everyone else. Not for me.

Having a AP means each trip has lots more cash for me to spend. This summer when six of us had to buy regular tickets, we ate in room for breakfast, packed our lunches, ate most dinners outside of park. We bought NO souvenirs.

Having APs for the last decade has meant they've gotten LOTS more money from me, not just on a daily basis but because I now visit 4-6 weeks a year.

Not allowing people to upgrade day of tickets to annual passes while they are there, has nothing to do with capacity limits. They are already there and presumably have reservations. It has everything to do with not allowing them to use that AP for two holiday seasons. It's all about trying to squeeze more money out of their guests. The problem is that there is a breaking point and I've seen more and more people reach that and cancel trips or come back from a trip and report that it will be there last for a long while due to paying so much more for so much less.
It's really sad. By taking advantage of their guests, they may make short term gains, but will lose lifelong loyalty and future vacation dollars.

I was just waiting for my Disney Gift cards to be delivered (they are ironically arriving today) to purchase our APs. Our next trip is the end of January so I don't feel comfortable waiting until APs resume sales again... whenever that will be. Hopefully we can upgrade when we go in January but I am not counting on it. It is unfortunate but I have become very cynical when it comes to decisions/changes being made. If the park pass availability for Nov/Dec was the reason, IMO there were better options to limit impact on guests not planning on traveling during those times who wanted to purchase APs. The Sorcerer pass already has half of Dec blocked off anyway.

I am not there yet but my husband is now expressing concerns that we may have made a mistake going into DVC with all of the negative changes the last few months and we haven't even had our first stay on our points yet. Hopefully in a year or two things even out a bit... this stream of negative news and changes has been a bit disheartening.

Not allowing people to upgrade day of tickets to annual passes while they are there, has nothing to do with capacity limits. They are already there and presumably have reservations. It has everything to do with not allowing them to use that AP for two holiday seasons. It's all about trying to squeeze more money out of their guests. The problem is that there is a breaking point and I've seen more and more people reach that and cancel trips or come back from a trip and report that it will be there last for a long while due to paying so much more for so much less.
It's really sad. By taking advantage of their guests, they may make short term gains, but will lose lifelong loyalty and future vacation dollars.

That may be true, but put yourself in the position of an AP holder who bought it, then decides they want to visit in the next few months and find out they can't use it at all on several of the days they want and are able to go.

I think most of us though thought that by now, capacity issues and reservations for parks would be more of a formality. Obviously, if that is the reason for the pause, Disney is capping differently now than they have been in years past.

And this is likely also a player in the decision. I used to use park tickets to upgrade to Platinum AP during all those years of Free Dining .... but guess I didn't think about the people using tickets to get around block out dates to then put towards an AP. This is a great way for Disney to close that loophole with less flack than if they just said the tickets used for AP upgrades can only be used towards APs without the existing tickets dates blocked out. Seems reasonable enough.
Lol!! And which bucket do you think they will make sure has availability?

Except when you buy day tickets they are date based and you know ahead of time if your days are still there.

APs without resort reservations are different. So don’t think it’s the same.
I don’t see that as much of an issue.

I found the next direct DVC benefit: Guaranteed park and pass availability!

Universal did promise availability for on-site guests during Covid, but Disney never did. I always thought this as an on-site perk was a no-brainer, especially if you booked so many days out or whatever, but Disney doesn't like to promise what it can't deliver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter