AP Only Info Thread Reservation System /Extensions / Refunds

I cancelled my pass online and received the following confirmation...

"We have received your request and are processing your selection below:
In lieu of a one-month extension, you have selected to cancel your annual pass and receive a partial refund for the remaining access days of your annual pass from July 11, 2020 through your pass expiration date (as extended, if applicable). Your pass will remain valid through August 11, 2020 and will be canceled effective August 12, 2020. Refunds to original form of payment can be expected by mid- to late September. Refunds may take up to an additional month to receive if original form of payment is not available."

It doesn't mention anything about a refund for the dates the park was closed. I assume this is implied, but very poorly worded. Also, weird that the pass is valid until 8/11.

Edit: Now I think I understand. Since my pass was already extended for the closure dates, the new expiration date of my pass will be used to calculate the refund. Whoa! This also makes sense why the extension for those that want that option is not added until October (after the refunds are processed).

Last edited:
I got the new email yesterday. Put through for cancellation and refund. I take it I will get refund between august 12 until my expiration date of 5/10. Not going back so will be happy to get something back. My guess is price divided by 365 days multiplied by the days left of AP.

Interesting that the language above says “PARTIAL refund” for the remaining access days. Different than what’s posted on the AP website that simply says “refund“ for the remaining access days. Shouldn’t the language say ”full refund” for the remaining access days? We’re not talking about a full refund for the pass, we’re talking about a full refund for the remaining access days. Or maybe it should say “prorated refund“ for the remaining access days?

I don't know about the verbiage as well already got our partial refund for the closed days. Since we have selected cancel with the dates beginning August 12th, we fall into that guest bucket. We purchased on March 5th and used our passes for one day before the closure on March 16th. The good news? We got to ride Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway on opening day (best ride at WDW in my opinion).

If you haven't gotten an email yet, and you usually do (like me), I find that they phase them out over a couple days. I usually get an email a day or so after DH does.

So even after all the information they've given out, can someone verify that the statements below are correct?

For Monthly payment PH (In my case, FL Res Silver):

- if you didn't call at all initially, your pass was supposed to be refunded the amount of the closure, not extended the 4 months or whatever. You had to call for the extension. I never did anything because we didn't know what to do, and nothing ever changed on my pass dates either in MDE.
- NOW, you can either opt for extending the pass for the dates of the closure + the extra 30 days OR get some sort of partial refund. Or is it just 30 days extension or the partial refund. Understanding that the refund amount is a hot mess right now as no one knows for sure how it's being calculated.

I feel like I got my lines crossed somewhere.

MONTHLY PAYMENT APs...

Please be careful in working this out, as depending on when your payments started, the only options offered can either be very good, or very bad for you. Because there were a few of us in my weird position, here's my example:

Renewed in Jan. for a Mar. 23 expiration AP. Because they always start monthly payments the day you renew, not the day the renewal takes effect, my first payment was taken in early Feb., second in late Feb., third early Mar. So 3 payments taken before parks closed, and before my renewal took effect, right?

I won't get the Mar. payment refunded because it was taken in early Mar., before the mar. 14 date they're using for Mar. payment refunds.

I've also been told by the monthly payments hotline, VIPassholder line, AND the new AP Chat that none of those 3 payments will be refunded. Why? Because even though those payments covered the first 3 months of my AP - Mar., Apr., May - they go by the date the payments were made. And since the payments were made in advance, before the parks closed, they are not eligible for refund.

I am not a lawyer, but I am positive that is a breach of contract and cannot be legal. The question is, though, do I want to spend hours of my life fighting it? As I see it, I have 3 options:

1. Cancel. Forfeit the $150+ they already took, but not make any further payments.
2. Extend. Continue on with 9 more payments, but essentially get 13 months for the price of 12 because with the extensions, my original Mar. 23 expiration will extend to an Aug. 18 expiration, so 13 months of open parks.
3. Fight for the option to cancel and get the 3 payments made in advance refunded.

None of these scenarios takes into consideration COVID-19 risk, of course. If I take that out of the equation, option 2 is the clear winner. But what if things continue to get worse and I really cannot risk going to the parks for the next 6 months? 12 months? What if parks have to close again - will I be paying for a useless AP because I already made my choice?

I'm going to sit on the decision for a few weeks and see how things go. I am high-risk, but from what I've seen so far, I could be comfortable spending a few hours in a park, avoiding places that feel too congested. I want to see if that changes going forward before making a decision.

So if original form of payment is not available, where is Disney sending the money?

I paid with a gift card that I threw out after APs was activated. Never did I think that we would be in this situation where Disney is giving out refunds. My previous understanding was that Disney will send me another gift card...but this is difficult to tell from email. I don't want Disney refilling a gift card in a landfill somewhere in FL.

Finally managed to reach the Monthly payment number. On hold for 2 hours and 45 minutes. My sister called for me since she is working from home. When she was connected they accidentally hung up on her. CM called her back 5 minutes later. It seems that many departments were handling APs calling for postponements. Essentially the right hand didn't know what they left hand was doing. The CM straighted my issues out on their end. But warned that my expiration date would remain the same until the system was updated. As of today my expiration date on my AP is still the same.

There was no way I could have done this from work. I just want my expiration date extended as I was promised from the beginning.

MONTHLY PAYMENT APs...

I've also been told by the monthly payments hotline, VIPassholder line, AND the new AP Chat that none of those 3 payments will be refunded. Why? Because even though those payments covered the first 3 months of my AP - Mar., Apr., May - they go by the date the payments were made. And since the payments were made in advance, before the parks closed, they are not eligible for refund.
I was really hoping they wouldn't penalize people who paid ahead. I purchased a silver pass for my daughter as a Christmas present in November. She used it for the first time on Jan 6th. So I paid the downpayment and 3 monthly payments before she stepped foot in the parks. So I'll have paid for about half the pass for 3 months of access. She is immune suppressed so there's no way she's going into the parks any time soon. :mad:

New on going message says that you have to have your contract ID Number when calling to cancel. I don't have it and I got an email saying that because I clicked on the link, without choosing anything I was canceled, which I don't want
So I am on the phone again and the CM is having a hard time getting into the details without than contract number
I had to go back through my emails and find my renewal purchase confirmation and the contract is an attachment on it to get the number.
I clicked the link in @yulilin3 ’s post and it prompted me to sign in & showed me a contract number.

I'm really confused about this contract number stuff. When I bought the AP (paid in full, not paid over time) I printed out the confirmation email. I did not save it in my email account. I am looking at the purchase confirmation email, and there is no contract number in it. If there was an attachment to the confirmation email, I did not print it. There is a confirmation number, but PPs above specifically used the term "contract number" not "confirmation number." I'm afraid to click on the link in the email I got yesterday because PPs have reported glitches.

They have made such an incredible mess of this. At what point would they have saved money overall by just extending all APs for an additional year - at some point, the lost money from renewal costs for one year would be offset by savings in the amount of employee-hours they've wasted by dealing with the constant calls and programming all the still-confusing emails and calculating all the complicated options for the passes and making up for the bank fees for the payment glitch and tracking everything and the refunds themselves, even before calculating in the ill-will they've created among the AP holders for all of this. If they'd just kept it simple and been maybe a little bit generous, it certainly would have come out better for them PR-wise and would be far less stressful for their employees and might not even have cost them anymore financially than this ridiculous nightmare is.
I cancelled my pass online and received the following confirmation...

"We have received your request and are processing your selection below:
In lieu of a one-month extension, you have selected to cancel your annual pass and receive a partial refund for the remaining access days of your annual pass from July 11, 2020 through your pass expiration date (as extended, if applicable). Your pass will remain valid through August 11, 2020 and will be canceled effective August 12, 2020. Refunds to original form of payment can be expected by mid- to late September. Refunds may take up to an additional month to receive if original form of payment is not available."

It doesn't mention anything about a refund for the dates the park was closed. I assume this is implied, but very poorly worded. Also, weird that the pass is valid until 8/11.

Edit: Now I think I understand. Since my pass was already extended for the closure dates, the new expiration date of my pass will be used to calculate the refund. Whoa! This also makes sense why the extension for those that want that option is not added until October (after the refunds are processed).
All they really had to do was offer an option to have your pass (and payments) "paused" from start of park closure until you chose to go back to parks-at which time the pass restarted, and if you chose to go back in July-October then you got the automatic extension days. If you choose to go after October-December then you got the one month bonus; Starting in 2021 no extension but you have until say-2025 to go back and "restart" your pass. Maybe not entirely fair for some but a heck of lot easier to choose from. Because now those out of country or quarantined state AP holders have a very complicated calculation to decide what to do-and very likely could have avoided multiple cancellations/refund nightmares.

I was really hoping they wouldn't penalize people who paid ahead. I purchased a silver pass for my daughter as a Christmas present in November. She used it for the first time on Jan 6th. So I paid the downpayment and 3 monthly payments before she stepped foot in the parks. So I'll have paid for about half the pass for 3 months of access. She is immune suppressed so there's no way she's going into the parks any time soon. :mad:
They really need to address the monthly payments issue because this is just ridiculous. I do think if you spend the time on it, you'll be able to get some resolution. But the default seems to be "no." I will never, ever again do monthly payments!

So if original form of payment is not available, where is Disney sending the money?

I paid with a gift card that I threw out after APs was activated. Never did I think that we would be in this situation where Disney is giving out refunds. My previous understanding was that Disney will send me another gift card...but this is difficult to tell from email. I don't want Disney refilling a gift card in a landfill somewhere in FL.

For my refund for the closure period, they sent it to one of my credit cards, even though I paid for the pass with gift cards. Since it was a credit card I rarely use and the refund was over $300 dollars, I got a check from my credit card company and deposited it. I was actually glad to have the money rather than a gift card.

Sorry if this has been explained already, but with AP's paid in full, how do you figure out the approximate refund? Our passes originally expired on May 10, 2020, but have been extended through 9/4 now.
Also, any idea about this month extension? Are they going to give us a random month that will be too last minute for any of us out of state AP's to actually benefit from?

I see Disney has done the right thing here and chosen to fully communicate their willingness to provide full prorated refunds. I received an email for one of the passes, and as I understand it, I'll receive another for my son at some point.

Honestly, they had no choice. Lots of people have a lot of money on the line here; just myself and my son is nearly $2000 in a pandemic for 80% of out of state Platinum Plus annual passes. This was the year we were planning to take full advantage of WDW. Now, with the current sensitive nature of my job, I cannot even go to Florida if I wanted to. A refund is my only choice.

I'm not happy with a lot of things that management is doing right now. But--this is a good (and absolutely necessary) step by management. I'll be back, WDW--just get that family style service at Biergarten up and running so I can get my schnitzel fix.

Curious by chance with the "additional dates being opened" as a local silver FL AP holder who is blacked out until August if I book an upcoming weekend in July at a Disney resort via the current 35% offer would that then get me access to any of the parks or just allow me to buy more tickets to get in?

Out of state platinum pass holder with an expiration date of 11-27-2020. We called in and chose the cash back over the AP extension and still have not seen any refund. Not sure if any refunds of this type have been processed yet?

Since I had such a fit yesterday, I figured I should report my good news too. After still not receiving the email, I clicked on yulilin’s link again this morning which took me to a page with a contract number on it and the options everyone else had been getting. I chose to extend my pass. Got the success screen again (oddly never had to log in again this time).

Later this morning my pass is showing the 30 day extension in MDE already. So I take back my angst yesterday (but not the Britney Spears gif).

Out of state platinum pass holder with an expiration date of 11-27-2020. We called in and chose the cash back over the AP extension and still have not seen any refund. Not sure if any refunds of this type have been processed yet?

thanks for posting. I thought I was the only one waiting. I called late April and requested refund over original extension. We are still waiting. I even checked again in June. However, my daughter, who called a month+ after me got 3 of her 4 refunds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter