Anyone waiting to try (the hopefully new and improved) PH once it is completed?

when it was just DH and I, it was a good lunch spot before a movie or whatnot in DTD. Their Caesar salad was really good, and they had a turkey sandwich, DH's go to lunch; and never a wait for a table.

That said, I just saw the article on the main page that said that Guy Fieri was going to have a hand in the menu/food. So, nope, not going back! :crazy:

In the article is states that he is helping with the menu of burgers and sandwiches, not the whole menu... everyone should know that the restaurant has final say. Are you not going back because you think you won't like the food? What about the other menu offerings? or is it that you won't because of you just don't like him? and one final questions have you eaten at any of his restaurant's? I am not trying to be rude...just wondering what you are basing your thoughts on.

In the article is states that he is helping with the menu of burgers and sandwiches, not the whole menu... everyone should know that the restaurant has final say. Are you not going back because you think you won't like the food? What about the other menu offerings? or is it that you won't because of you just don't like him? and one final questions have you eaten at any of his restaurant's? I am not trying to be rude...just wondering what you are basing your thoughts on.

Sorry if you are offended or otherwise dismayed by my opinion.

Yes, I have eaten in one of his restaurants. Knowing that he is affiliated with the new PH in any way would give me pause to return, especially since at a chain-type restaurant, we tend to stick with salads, sandwiches and burgers.

Sure did. We had to see if it was really as bad as this.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/14/d...uys-american-kitchen-bar-in-times-square.html

It was.

That article is a classic.

I seem to be on the opposite side of the fence. Guy being involved is making me rethink PH in terms of actually getting a reservation there on our next trip. We'd eaten at PH once a number of years ago, and swore never to go back. It was not a good experience in terms of either service or food. However, we've eaten at Tex Wasabi's in California (and drove an hour out of our way to do so) and loved it. If the new menu at PH is at all similar, count us in!

I seem to be on the opposite side of the fence. Guy being involved is making me rethink PH in terms of actually getting a reservation there on our next trip. We'd eaten at PH once a number of years ago, and swore never to go back. It was not a good experience in terms of either service or food. However, we've eaten at Tex Wasabi's in California (and drove an hour out of our way to do so) and loved it. If the new menu at PH is at all similar, count us in!

Good to know! I've never been to Tex Wasabi's before.

Sure did. We had to see if it was really as bad as this.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/14/d...uys-american-kitchen-bar-in-times-square.html

It was.

My friend and I ate there in November last year, and had a really fun time, and the food and service were good. Pub grub it the best way I can put it this isn't a gourmet spot I felt more along the lines of a sports bar. DH and I also have eaten at his burger joint on the cruise lines, and after the 1st burger we were hooked really good, messy, and a bit greasy just the way a vacation burger should be. I did read the article then I noticed it was from 4 year a ago, in 2012.

I guess I was asking if you recently ate there, as we ( DH and I) are thinking about heading to NYC for a long weekend and we had it on the list to check out. So was your visit as recent as say in the last 3 to 5 months. Just trying to get a read on things now. Thanks

Sorry if you are offended or otherwise dismayed by my opinion.

Yes, I have eaten in one of his restaurants. Knowing that he is affiliated with the new PH in any way would give me pause to return, especially since at a chain-type restaurant, we tend to stick with salads, sandwiches and burgers.

I completely respect your opinion and thoughts.

My friend and I ate there in November last year, and had a really fun time, and the food and service were good. Pub grub it the best way I can put it this isn't a gourmet spot I felt more along the lines of a sports bar. DH and I also have eaten at his burger joint on the cruise lines, and after the 1st burger we were hooked really good, messy, and a bit greasy just the way a vacation burger should be. I did read the article then I noticed it was from 4 year a ago, in 2012.

I guess I was asking if you recently ate there, as we ( DH and I) are thinking about heading to NYC for a long weekend and we had it on the list to check out. So was your visit as recent as say in the last 3 to 5 months. Just trying to get a read on things now. Thanks

Fieri is a hack, he's not a real chef, he just plays one on TV. Please, please, please, don't go to hi splace in NYC (or just about anywhere else in Times Square). You might as well eat at Olive Garden or TGI Fridays. The food isn't fresh and it isn't good; fat and salt are substituted for actual flavor. BUT, i understand that these places can be fun and some people like these sorts of places, maybe you would like it, everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion. My bigger argument is that there are so many better, more authentic, more memorable places to eat (this goes for both PH in DS and places in times square). Look up places on the bulletin boards on chowhound (much better reference than yelp or tripadvisor)

Fieri is a hack, he's not a real chef, he just plays one on TV. Please, please, please, don't go to hi splace in NYC (or just about anywhere else in Times Square). You might as well eat at Olive Garden or TGI Fridays. The food isn't fresh and it isn't good; fat and salt are substituted for actual flavor. BUT, i understand that these places can be fun and some people like these sorts of places, maybe you would like it, everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion. My bigger argument is that there are so many better, more authentic, more memorable places to eat (this goes for both PH in DS and places in times square). Look up places on the bulletin boards on chowhound (much better reference than yelp or tripadvisor)

But what if you happen to *like* places like Olive Garden and TGI Fridays? What if you don't want fancy or 'authentic' food, and just want a normal meal with adequate portions that tastes good? (And yes, while in Times Square I ate at Bubba Gump plus a few hole in the wall delis.)

I necessarily don't like the over-hyped places with organic 'farm to table' specialties or whatever the trend of the month is. I don't want an artistically arranged plate with foam on the tiny portion, no matter how well-recommended or how pretty it looks. I find I often can't trust reviews on places like chowhound or even here on the DIS, since you have no idea what some self-proclaimed foodie prefers in terms of their meals. Some of my very favourite restaurants at WDW have lousy reviews. And even if the chef's table at V&A was free I'd never eat there. (I can easily afford it, I just don't have any interest in the food or the experience. If I'm going to spend that kind of money on dinner I'll go to Shula's or Yachtsman.)

It takes all kinds. I may look at the reviews, but unless the review mentions health or cleanliness issues I won't let it stop me from eating there. I tend to make my choices based on the menus and the online pics of the restaurants, and thenonce eating there decide for myself if I want to go back. I'm really looking forward to seeing the new PH menu. Like I said, knowing that a restauranteur (I will agree he isn't really a chef by trade) I like is involved in the menu creation, it might convince me to go back...

But what if you happen to *like* places like Olive Garden and TGI Fridays? What if you don't want fancy or 'authentic' food, and just want a normal meal with adequate portions that tastes good? (And yes, while in Times Square I ate at Bubba Gump plus a few hole in the wall delis.)

I necessarily don't like the over-hyped places with organic 'farm to table' specialties or whatever the trend of the month is. I don't want an artistically arranged plate with foam on the tiny portion, no matter how well-recommended or how pretty it looks. I find I often can't trust reviews on places like chowhound or even here on the DIS, since you have no idea what some self-proclaimed foodie prefers in terms of their meals. Some of my very favourite restaurants at WDW have lousy reviews. And even if the chef's table at V&A was free I'd never eat there. (I can easily afford it, I just don't have any interest in the food or the experience. If I'm going to spend that kind of money on dinner I'll go to Shula's or Yachtsman.)

It takes all kinds. I may look at the reviews, but unless the review mentions health or cleanliness issues I won't let it stop me from eating there. I tend to make my choices based on the menus and the online pics of the restaurants, and thenonce eating there decide for myself if I want to go back. I'm really looking forward to seeing the new PH menu. Like I said, knowing that a restauranteur (I will agree he isn't really a chef by trade) I like is involved in the menu creation, it might convince me to go back...
If all you're looking for is a big pile of fried junk, I think you would be very happy at any restaurant associated with Guy Fieri, including PH.

If all you're looking for is a big pile of fried junk, I think you would be very happy at any restaurant associated with Guy Fieri, including PH.

I ate at Tex Wasabi's and nothing we saw or ate was fried, so I'll take your comment as the joke it was hopefully meant to be. And, while I haven't had a chance to eat there yet, Johnny Garlic's doesn't seem to offer a "big pile of fried junk" on the menu either. But if you're going to a sports bar-style burger place like American Kitchen or the cruise line spots expecting something other than nice greasy burgers and fries, it's your expectations that may be out of whack, not his menu... :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter