• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone stockpiling food?

Yup - I read where 90% of prescription drugs are either contracted out to Chinese companies or made elsewhere with Chinese sourced ingredients. Big Pharma like Eli Lily, Merck, Pfizer and Smith Glaxo contract out to Chinese manufacturers
There are worldwide supply chains for almost anything. Major disruptions in many countries can cascade worldwide. A lot of Chinese manufacturing is reliant on natural resources from around the world. That's just kind of the way the world economy works these days.

There are worldwide supply chains for almost anything. Major disruptions in many countries can cascade worldwide. A lot of Chinese manufacturing is reliant on natural resources from around the world. That's just kind of the way the world economy works these days.

Yep. So instead of dying of the Coronavirus, you die because you can’t fill your script. That’s ugly.

Packaged food and drugs and anything else that’s ‘pre-made’ does not need to carry Country of Origin information for each of the components...which is why aspirin says Distributed By.... you have no idea where the ingredients came from nor where the pills were pressed.

Many of you know I have a rare lung disease (Alpha 1) that requires me to have an infusion weekly. I just got a letter today from the company that deals with the meds in my infusions saying no cause for concern at this point. They screen the plasma very well (as stated in this letter)that is required to protect my lungs. I wasn't really concerned but all this talk about different meds leaving the shelf...........it was interesting to get this letter.

Also, my oldest DS who works at a firm in downtown Detroit was given a survey today asking if they would be able to work from home if need be.

It is getting real in my "neck" of the woods so yes I will be going to get that big bag of Hersey Kisses, diet Coke and rum. ;)

I think people are going to find out just how much of our products (not food) come from China once shelves at Walmart/Target etc are empty.
My Walmart is already empty. 4 years I've been back in town and I've yet to be able to buy 90% of what I would buy at Walmart because the shelves are empty. Was there last night. Heard a couple "complaining" about the empty milk shelves and I said, no, it's not the virus scare, that is how this Walmart keeps their shelves stocked. I usually drive 43 miles 1 way to go grocery shopping, but it was late last night as I was forcing myself to stay awake to prepare for night shift.

Takes me at least 4 trips to buy eggs because I never know which part of the month eggs are going to be stocked. Yogurt is always completely empty. Bacon and breakfast sausage, always completely empty. Had to switch deodorant because they still have 2 slots for it (single and double pack) but I haven't seen it stocked in literally 4 years.

As frustrating as it was trying to buy a weeks worth of groceries, the few items I did buy I stood in line for 45 minutes at the only register open. There was 2 people in front of me and another halfway through the transaction! The clerk inspected every single item, sorted through the items on the belt picking and choosing what to scan next. It was pathetic. Almost just left the cart and walked out, but it wouldn't be the person who would have to put all the stuff (well, very few items) away's fault. It was sweltering in the store and felt like my blood pressure was starting to boil watching her pick and choose and scan 1 item every 20 seconds.

Yep. So instead of dying of the Coronavirus, you die because you can’t fill your script. That’s ugly.

No you die because someone else has run out of their stash of chocolate, Coke, liquor, much needed comfort food addiction, etc., and they start robbing other people who have it, for their supplies. :duck: Yeah, it could get really ugly. :scared:

We've got canned tomatoes up the wahoo, but DH did not get any chocolate!😱

:scratchin Maybe your DH bought all those tomatoes instead of chocolate, to keep you guys safe, after all?

DH shouting through the door as the robbers are breaking it down: "WE DON'T HAVE CASES OF CHOCOLATE. WE HAVE CANNED TOMATOES! YOU CAN HAVE THE TOMATOES! WE HAVE CASES. " The banging on the door stops. Lots of grumbling & swearing can be heard outside. "Tomatoes??? #^#$T@%*@!!!" Then the mob moves onto a house down the street.
lynchstill.gif

No you die because someone else has run out of their stash of chocolate, Coke, liquor, much needed comfort food addiction, etc., and they start robbing other people who have it, for their supplies. :duck: Yeah, it could get really ugly. :scared:

:scratchin Maybe your DH bought all those tomatoes instead of chocolate, to keep you guys safe, after all?

DH shouting through the door as the robbers are breaking it down: "WE DON'T HAVE CASES OF CHOCOLATE. WE HAVE CANNED TOMATOES! YOU CAN HAVE THE TOMATOES! WE HAVE CASES. " The banging on the door stops. Lots of grumbling & swearing can be heard outside. "Tomatoes??? #^#$T@%*@!!!" Then the mob moves onto a house down the street.
lynchstill.gif
Hmm, not too sure about that. I'm not allowed to have a garden and I haven't grown tomatoes for 4 years. I'd probably be yelling out, "From the garden or the store?" If they were from the garden, look out! LOL

Ok so at the risk of being an idiot. I live less than 2 miles from the hospital where a case was confirmed this morning. In between my house and the hospital is a walmart. I decided to run to the walmart tonight because I wanted an onion for dinner, and decided I may as well pick up the other groceries for the week. The store was out of random things, most cleaning supplies etc. But what got my attention was the employee that was going around filling her large industrial cart for the "pick up" orders. She was coughing as she was doing the orders. Yikes.

I do understand that an employee could have been sick when they shelved teh food that I bought -but still - to see her coughing and putting stuff in the baskets and moving around the store did kind of freak me out a little bit.

several of the Costco's in the San Francisco Bay Area have sold out of rice. I went into one this afternoon and noticed the racks looked more empty than usual. also, didn't seen any disinfectant wipes.

I only stopped in to buy gas and something to eat. I got a pepperoni slice, cold brew coffee and a brain freeze.

I feel your pain. It cost almost 1K to refill our 8 cubic ft chest freezer

Serious question...do have a generator for that if you lose power? We lose power fairly regularly, so having a grand's worth of food in my fridge or freezer would worry me. I get that if left alone the chest freezer is incredibly efficient and will stay cold a long time, but we've had instances where we lost power for a long time, too. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter