Anyone stockpiling food?

I've picked up a few extras here and there but nothing major. I went to Costco on Saturday for our usual every two week/once a month necessities and noticed that they were running low on TP and paper towels. I bought 2 30 packs of TP. I'm not going without!
We went to Sam's (no Costco around here) over the weekend and got two big packages of TP as well. That is one thing my husband just won't live without.

We ended up spending $450 yesterday between the two! o_O

Oh yea...there are only 2 of us!
I feel your pain.
It cost almost 1K to refill our 8 cubic ft chest freezer in 2 visits to a local market (Stew Leonard's) but I got some amazing deals on protein. We don't have to return to that market until late summer when roasts for the holidays go on sale, local produce is at it's prime in quality and price, and the freezer is at least half empty. There are 3 of us in residence and a lot of the money we save winds up going for vacation time since all the adults are retired. Normally, we buy most of our vegetables from the farmers' market weekly but I am stocking more freezable ones at the moment.

I ironically went to get a few things on Friday, Feb 28 after work, on foot. I filled a basket and arrived at the checkout to find out that the store was beginning the plastic bag ban two days early, I did not have a large bag on me because I didn't know it was going to be an issue, and they had no alternatives except six inch paper bags with no handles. Cut to me stacking all my items and stumbling into a 99 cent store down the street to get a large tote!

Anyway, we have plenty of TP now. My main plan is to keep my baseline stocked and not buy too much stuff unless there's plans to need it.

Skimming through Amazon adding to my normal list and decided to checkout availability for Lysol and hand sanitizer. Lysol is listed at $33.99 for TWO cans and a NINE pack of travel size Purell is $59.99. This is obscene! #$*@

Skimming through Amazon adding to my normal list and decided to checkout availability for Lysol and hand sanitizer. Lysol is listed at $33.99 for TWO cans and a NINE pack of travel size Purell is $59.99. This is obscene! #$*@

Yes it is crazy. I have Amazon brand wipes in my next subscribe and save order. Hopefully they show up!!! Price was good, so here’s hoping.

We went to target for baby gifts and wanted to pick up bottle of hand sanitizer for church nursery (getting low, not out) , shelves empty Didn't look that well but the shelves with ibuprofen, etc. looked rather empty.

When to BJ. to get some shelf stable milk for DD, always handy to have on hand when you have a bunch of kids and stores aren't around the corner, anyway no hand sanitizer there either. But what surprised me, was the area that had liquid soap....just empty pallets. Did people just start washing hands yesterday????

I think some businesses may be stocking up on normal supplies....masks, gloves, cleaning supplies, paper products, etc. I suspect some medical laundry and linen supply services will see an uptick too.

Hey gas is down in our area due to the Virus.......don't ask me how or why but it was on the news and I did see the difference at the pump!! :thumbsup2

Secondly, it is almost like we are preparing for Armageddon. I am going to try to keep a level head and hope that we don't completely tank the economy for no reason and cause problems for years on end.

Fear buying won't tank the economy. Even delaying trips - because for most people, that's what it is... deciding to go next year, not cancelling forever - will only have a short term and immediate effect. The bigger economic concerns will be supply chain disruptions and potential quarantines and mandated closures.

oreos and liquor-the best currency to have for an impending zombie apocalypse.

And Twinkies. If Zombieland taught me anything, it is that some people will go to truly crazy lengths for Twinkies!

and we've had our 2nd death. there's been some talk on the local news about folks taking care during upcoming spring breaks (seems like half our college population goes home to the west side while the other half comes home to the east or adjacent states).

That's going to be interesting for sure, the first major travel season post-virus. DD is in the Bay Area, where they have a number of cases, but isn't coming home to Michigan; she's going on a service trip to Appalachia. A lot of her friends are going home or traveling to tourist hot-spots, so I'm sure they'll all have plenty of germs to share when they get back together after break.

I heard a lot of the sweetner used for Diet Coke comes from China and there could be a shortage. That would be my breaking point! :scared1:

Mine too. The caffeine withdrawal is likely to be far more dangerous, to me and to those around me, than the virus!

Hey gas is down in our area due to the Virus.......don't ask me how or why but it was on the news and I did see the difference at the pump!! :thumbsup2

Anything that gets people cancelling trips and staying home will do that. It is down 20 cents over about 10 days here, and I'm not complaining.

Oh no. Tell me it isn't so. I NEED my fountain diet coke fix. Poor people around me if it comes into reality, LOL.
That's my issue too. Canned or bottled won't do. It has to be fountain, over lots of ice. Can't stockpile that. :sad:

Just did my monthly run down to Trader Joe's.
The shelves were well stocked except for low-sodium chicken broth.
There goes my homeade soup this weekend!

A close and convenient location is not necessarily going to be an advantage if you’re asked to self-quarantine for a two week period, unless they deliver, or you have neighbours you can call to drop off food/liquor to your door.

Which makes me think, if you are self-quarantined in an apartment building, are you even allowed/supposed to open your door to a common hallway? :confused3

Oh for goodness sake, if you can spread it by just opening your door then we'd all be doomed anyways, LOL! :rotfl2:

The company that produces the medicine does not own any manufacturing facilities in China. They have three manufacturing facilities - two in California and one in Oregon.

it is possible they get ingredients from China though. I’ll just have to hope there are no disruptions to my infusion schedule, it’s not something I can stock up on
Yup - I read where 90% of prescription drugs are either contracted out to Chinese companies or made elsewhere with Chinese sourced ingredients. Big Pharma like Eli Lily, Merck, Pfizer and Smith Glaxo contract out to Chinese manufacturers

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter