Anyone getting worried about March Break Travel

How exactly do the schools in NB KNOW that you have travelled outside of Canada? The honour system? yeah....ok.

As for us, 2 cases (both presumptive) in Hawaii vs 32 so far in BC. Oahu here we come!

Currently, honor system - and believe it or not, yes, most people will comply with that. Most people aren't selfish jerks. However, they're also fully prepared to mandate reporting, with consequences if you don't comply.

Currently, honor system - and believe it or not, yes, most people will comply with that. Most people aren't selfish jerks. However, they're also fully prepared to mandate reporting, with consequences if you don't comply.

There is that case in the states (I don't know all the details) where a man who was quarantined in his house took his daughter to a school dance?? Like yes, people ARE selfish jerks and while I agree, the majority of NB residents will comply.....not all will. And really, how can you stop them? How can you trace their travel path? Unless someone 'snitches' on them. This is unchartered territory for sure.

There is that case in the states (I don't know all the details) where a man who was quarantined in his house took his daughter to a school dance?? Like yes, people ARE selfish jerks and while I agree, the majority of NB residents will comply.....not all will. And really, how can you stop them? How can you trace their travel path? Unless someone 'snitches' on them. This is unchartered territory for sure.

I said MOST people aren't selfish jerks.
I didn't say no one is.

I said MOST people will comply.
I didn't say all would.

They're not stopping people from traveling. They're just not allowing the students at school for two weeks, if they do travel out of country.

How will they know if you travel? Well for starters, you already have to notify your child's school when you are taking them out of school to travel. So... there's no change there. But I mean hey, if someone wants to try and just discretely take their child out for vacation and not tell the school, the fact that the student will be absent from school for several days is pretty much a dead give away. The schools will call to find out where students are when there's an unreported absence. Won't be hard to figure out you've skipped town. And then you'll face yourself with a mandatory 2 week exclusion for the simple fact that you didn't comply (by telling them you were going on vacation and where). Spring break is already over here, it's really not that complicated.

Last edited:

Many insurers have stated there is NO coverage for any Canadian who travels internationally for any Covid related illness, since it falls under the epidemic/pandemic clause. Likewise, the government has said they will not be responsible for getting you transferred back home to a Canadian hospital. So, right now if you choose to travel, you basically must be prepared to potentially cover a very hefty medical bill, or say goodbye to your house, in the event you do get sick while away.

Of course, on the flip side of this, most people only travel for a week, and it has a fairly long incubation period, so chances are you'll be home before you show symptoms. But, for those planning longer trips, I would want to know exactly what I am/am not covered for, before I leave the country.

It would be interesting to read where you found this information. Currently all I have read is your coverage could be limited only if you travel to a destination which Canada is advising against - such as China, Japan, Italy, South Korea etc. This is also regarding travel insurance you buy as part of your trip - not coverage you would have through your benefits with your employer. So while some of what you are saying may be true I do not think it's a "say goodbye to your house" situation by a long shot!

@mshanson3121 I didn't know Spring break was already over in NB. It doesn't start here in BC until this Friday (for 2 weeks). Obviously if you are taking your kids out of school for vacation then the school will find out that way.

I'm sure if spring break hasn't happened it would make it harder. But, often kids aren't known for their discretion, and "What are you doing for March break" is a pretty common question. Most of these trips would have been planned for months already and not kept secret. Plus, given social media, and just basic community knowledge, someone (likely multiple people) is going to know... I don't think it would be too hard to find out with minimal effort. But, yes, given the situation, I also don't doubt some, perhaps many, would snitch.

Had to cancel our trip... of course I am upset about missing the trip and we may have to rebook for a time when the weather is not as nice as April. I was so looking forward to going. However, there are many worse things that could happen and I just hope we all get through this safely.

We're driving down Friday night. We stay at our own place, so the main concern will be the Parks. We'll take extra precautions. Even if we'd booked flights, we'd still be going. If the worst happened and someone fell ill, I could rent a car and be back in Canada in 19 hours by driving straight through (did this a few years back when all eastern coast flights were cancelled due to a computer glitch). It's not ideal, but an option should getting home quickly become a concern.

I don't agree with the NB school board. Considering our country still allows daily flights from Hotspots, with no airport screening, this sounds a bit extreme. If the situation worsens, this type of decision should flow from the Federal Govt to all Provincial Govt's, so the message is consistent. Although cases here and in the States are likely to get worse before they get better, I sense much of the CND media is using the spread in the States to detract from the fact we dropped the ball on banning/mandatory screening of incoming flights from the Hotspots early on. Either way, as other posters have said, each individual has to weigh their own risk. For the elderly, or those with existing health issues, the risk is greatly elevated. Even those who care for the elderly, should consider this carefully, if they plan on travelling.

Sorry to those who have had to cancel their trips. For those still going, safe safe.

I agree with you about NB. It really doesn't make much sense at this point. The virus will be in the community soon enough if it is not already. Unless everyone stays home countrywide and borders are closed, it's going to spread. We live near London and Covid cases happened pretty early on here, everyone still went to school and went about their business as usual. I could catch this grocery shopping or going to a movie so I don't think I am more at risk driving to Disney.
We are leaving tonight and I am more relaxed now than I was even a few days ago. Since we are driving I can make it back by driving straight home in a bit less than a day. I will keep a low profile when we come home for the two weeks just as a precaution. No visiting my elderly parents and likely delivered groceries, but we are all young and healthy so I'm not too worried about us. Have a safe and fun trip to everyone going.

Does anyone have any experience working with Disney to refund/change Canadian discount tickets? Are we looking at paying the price difference in addition to some fee to allow them to be used at a different date?

Does anyone have any experience working with Disney to refund/change Canadian discount tickets? Are we looking at paying the price difference in addition to some fee to allow them to be used at a different date?
I was wondering about this. Now that the Canadian resident discount is over, are people going to have to pay that back PLUS whatever the difference in ticket price is for their new dates? One would hope not but I know outside of this scenario if you were trying to change dates outside of the discount window you probably would have to pay both. UGH.

Last edited:
I was wondering about this. Now that the Canadian resident discount is over, are people going to have to pay that back PLUS whatever the difference in ticket price is for their new dates? One would hope not but I know outside of this scenario if you were trying to change dates outside of the discount window you probably would have to pay both. UGH.

I am assuming this is WDW tickets - the Canadian Discount Disneyland tickets are good up until December 31st with no need to select dates.

Now that I'm reading about all these closures everywhere, how can they NOT close Disney?? Large crowds of out-of-towners, Florida announcing a few more positive cases and now it's a pandemic. This is just horrible for everyone and everything! Even Disneyland Paris now had three positive cases. How will it be if it is open by the time we go. Will things be running at half speed? Not really want we want with an expensive vacation like this. Plus all the risks involved with potential spread.

Just needed somewhere to vent.. :( I know a lot of us are in the same boat here. If they do close, I'm sure they'd waive their cancellation policy, right? What about Canadian tickets? Like if we rescheduled for later in the year, would they still be valid? I'd hope so.

Now that I'm reading about all these closures everywhere, how can they NOT close Disney?? Large crowds of out-of-towners, Florida announcing a few more positive cases and now it's a pandemic. This is just horrible for everyone and everything! Even Disneyland Paris now had three positive cases. How will it be if it is open by the time we go. Will things be running at half speed? Not really want we want with an expensive vacation like this. Plus all the risks involved with potential spread.

Just needed somewhere to vent.. :( I know a lot of us are in the same boat here. If they do close, I'm sure they'd waive their cancellation policy, right? What about Canadian tickets? Like if we rescheduled for later in the year, would they still be valid? I'd hope so.

One does wonder what will happen if the number of confirmed cases does rise in California or Florida. It is frustrating for sure but I hope that Disney will make accommodations for those who have time-sensitive theme park tickets, if they do end up temporarily closing for a few days.

It appears though that we're still in for a roller-coaster ride in regards to how to deal with future travel plans. It was just announced today that the 'World's biggest gaming show E3 was cancelled over fears surrounding the spread of coronavirus. The event, due to take place 9-11 June in Los Angeles, had been highly anticipated, ahead of PlayStation and Xbox console launches later this year.' Over 66,000 people attended E3 last year so it is a huge event. San Diego Comic Con is coming up in July ... attendance was pegged to be over 135,000 last year with attendees from over 80 countries ... no word yet as to the status of that event. Coachella scheduled for next month is now postponed till August.

So much is happening that it is hard to keep up. We remain hopeful but are realistic in that we may have to change our travel plans now so we can safely travel in the future.

I need a hug. I know there is so much worse going on than losing out on a trip to Disney World (where we have been before and will go again), but it is just not looking promising. Not worried about closures, but I am worried about complications being international. I am absolutely dreading telling the kids.

Still got my teeny tiny shred of hope we go.

Sending everyone here, who like me, has a trip planned in the near future a BIG HUG. Together we'll make it through this uncertain time. Disney will be there for travel later if things don't work out for us this spring.

I just really want to go! but I don't want to bring sickness back. I hope things will become clearer in the coming weeks.

Last edited:
I need a hug. I know there is so much worse going on than losing out on a trip to Disney World (where we have been before and will go again), but it is just not looking promising. Not worried about closures, but I am worried about complications being international. I am absolutely dreading telling the kids.

Still got my teeny tiny shred of hope we go.

Let's all give a big group hug!! (then we can all sanitize after! LOL :P ) Yes these are first world problems, I know. But if we want to vent about it, I feel this is the best place to do it! Obviously there's worse things than losing out on a Disney trip right now, I have to remember that. I know that if we don't go now, we will go later. I dread telling the kids too. They don't really understand it all. I'm still holding onto that teeny tiny shred as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter