Anyone getting worried about March Break Travel

Just cancelled our Mar 16-22 WDW trip

Got 85% of our flight back (since it was so pricey to begin with), and we'll use our Disney Tickets another time.

Lose out on my timeshare points though, unless I go within 60 days and that's not happening.

At the end of the day, we just didn't want to worry during our vacation. And while the case numbers are very low in Florida, these things expand exponentially and the idea of being in a public park with that many people just didn't sit well.

We are most likely cancelling our cruise this weekend. Worried of being quarantined and then having issues getting back to Canada. Ironic thing is the cruise is probably more sanitary than anywhere else and they are doing temp checks so probably safer than any other vacation. We have until Thursday to decide for sure. Cruise will give us our money back but we're out flight costs. We booked for now for Christmas but who knows when things will come down (and cruise is 50% more than we paid for this one). So disappointed.

New Brunswick schools have just "banned" international travel as of today. Any student who personally, or had a family member, travel internationally (including to the US), is not allowed to attend school for 2 weeks. I imagine other provinces will follow suit soon.
Accolades to New Brunswick! With March Break coming, I think any student who travels should go into 14 day quarantine upon return. I hate to think about sending my daughter to school after March Break. Same with her swim team. They are slated to travel over the break (she is not attending). What might they bring home?

Oh, good, more hysteria. Completely ridiculous. You can go to Toronto or Vancouver but if you cross a border watch out!
It’s not hysteria. If we are going to push this virus back, according to the WHO, it’s going to take extreme measures and sacrifice. I personally would not like to see the number of cases increase. To attain that, major steps need to be taken. The virus does not care that we want to go on holiday.

Oh, good, more hysteria. Completely ridiculous. You can go to Toronto or Vancouver but if you cross a border watch out!
It’s not hysteria. If we are going to push this virus back, according to the WHO, it’s going to take extreme measures and sacrifice. I personally would not like to see the number of cases increase. To attain that, major steps need to be taken. The virus does not care that we want to go on holiday.
There‘s more Coronavirus in Ontario than Florida for heavens sake. Banning travel down south means nothing at this point. It’s hysteria plain and simple . They aren’t following government guidelines or Canadian health recommendations at this point . Just going rogue and spreading the panic. Disgusting.
The US has no idea how many cases they have. So little testing.

Correct , major coordinated steps will need to be taken. One provinces board of education reacting to parental pressure and limiting the movements of hundreds of thousands of people is concerning to me, and not the same thing IMO. I don’t disagree with the measures, and I believe it will be likely more will be needed. I disagree with the reasoning and the timing and effectiveness .Regardless, I think we will just have to agree to disagree on that one .
More importantly I am very sorry to hear of all of you having to cancel your trips. I completely understand how disappointing that decision must be and this whole thing just stinks.

We are most likely cancelling our cruise this weekend. Worried of being quarantined and then having issues getting back to Canada. Ironic thing is the cruise is probably more sanitary than anywhere else and they are doing temp checks so probably safer than any other vacation. We have until Thursday to decide for sure. Cruise will give us our money back but we're out flight costs. We booked for now for Christmas but who knows when things will come down (and cruise is 50% more than we paid for this one). So disappointed.

I see that West Jet is giving refunds (for a fee) for basic fare flights March trips. It's a start.

Last edited:
We are still going and driving down. Anyone else? If the parks close we may just stay at our rental house but I do see that as unlikely at this point. We will be bringing sanitizer, wipes, washing our hands often and not eating at buffets.

We fly out Friday morning early. I'm not overly worried at this point.

It will take a huge uptick in known cases (and likely cases confirmed as having happened in the parks) for them to shut them down.

Been tracking room availability at Universal Resort (where we're staying) and I am seeing more rooms continue to open up so indeed it looks like some are cancelling their vacations.

But we'll be vigilant with washing/cleaning and we're a young family so we're not in any panic.

I love cruising. To me, cruising is better than any other type of vacation, including all-inclusive resorts in the Caribbean.

With that said, we have been to cruises 3 times so far. In two out of the 3 times, all my kids got sick while on the cruise.

The only time (out of the 3 cruises) this DID NOT happen was on a Disney Cruise in 2011. I'm not sure if it was just a coincidence, they got sick on the 2 Carnival cruises.

Canadian government recommended yesterday for people not to go on cruises in the next little while....

We are still going and driving down. Anyone else? If the parks close we may just stay at our rental house but I do see that as unlikely at this point. We will be bringing sanitizer, wipes, washing our hands often and not eating at buffets.

we are still going.. driving down, leaving Thursday noonish and going straight through.. not concerned at all.. we will use common sense when out at the parks and at restaurants etc. when it comes to hand washing/sanitizing etc

Westjet is not giving refunds for trip booked prior to March for March Break. I paid 400 in cancellation penalties and they will not make any exceptions.

So ridiculous right?! The big headline was airlines like Westjet waiving fees, sounds good until you find out it's only for those flights booked between March 5-31. Yeah, whatever!!!

Resort stay, FP+s, ADRs all cancelled but haven't cancelled the flights yet, waiting to see if Westjet will budge on those cancellation fees. It's costing us $800 for the four of us. The only good thing is that we will get a full refund of our advance seat selection charges.

So ridiculous right?! The big headline was airlines like Westjet waiving fees, sounds good until you find out it's only for those flights booked between March 5-31. Yeah, whatever!!!

Resort stay, FP+s, ADRs all cancelled but haven't cancelled the flights yet, waiting to see if Westjet will budge on those cancellation fees. It's costing us $800 for the four of us. The only good thing is that we will get a full refund of our advance seat selection charges.
So they are only refunding fares of people who had somewhat reasonable warning that this was coming.. not people who had no clue when they booked? Gee thanks Wesjet.:rolleyes:
And realistically who was booking a Westjet flight for March Break after the first of March? Good lord they charge thousands for those flights... the closer you get to travel the worse it gets. People with much more money than me I suppose.

So really this is a move to get people to KEEP BOOKING, knowing they will have some recourse. It does absolutely nothing for any other customer.

The response is unreasonable given they have zero ability to control or enforce this. My child's school would never know if I left the country (for work or pleasure). There is zero evidence that this is an effective measure. You need a fully coordinated plan across our entire country (if not the world) to 'push this back'. All that school board can really do is stop its schools from school related trips.

The response is unreasonable given they have zero ability to control or enforce this. My child's school would never know if I left the country (for work or pleasure). There is zero evidence that this is an effective measure. You need a fully coordinated plan across our entire country (if not the world) to 'push this back'. All that school board can really do is stop its schools from school related trips.

Actually, they do know that quarentine measures help. They've seen the success of them in South Korea, China, Italy is now following suit. No, this isn't a mandated quarantine, YET, but it will become one if cases start showing up or things get worse. Also, make no mistake, legally, the school can require you to declare any and all travel, and they are prepared to do so. They've already said if people don't willingly comply, then stricter measures will be taken. Thankfully, most people are being considerate and selfless, and are taking this seriously. But there'll always be those few....

Actually, they do know that quarentine measures help. They've seen the success of them in South Korea, China, Italy is now following suit. No, this isn't a mandated quarantine, YET, but it will become one if cases start showing up or things get worse. Also, make no mistake, legally, the school can require you to declare any and all travel, and they are prepared to do so. They've already said if people don't willingly comply, then stricter measures will be taken. Thankfully, most people are being considerate and selfless, and are taking this seriously. But there'll always be those few....
This is not a quarantine. If I can leave my house to shop or go to hockey or other extra curricular activities this is not gonna do a damn thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter