Anyone getting worried about March Break Travel

A co-worker of mine is supposed to be going on a cruise at the end of April with 35 others. Her 7 YO has major respiratory issues. She didn't buy cancellation insurance (has medical through work). She finds out from the Dr two days before they leave if they should go or not.

TBH, I was surprised they booked the trip knowing he has been sick so often through the whole year.

Before traveling speak to custom border protection and ask. Just being a Canadian doesn't mean they will let you in.
Very true, i based my answer on what i read on the Government of Canada page regarding
COVID-19 and return from travelling. At this point in time Canada has not put a ban in place and this is directly quoted from THIS PAGE

During your return to Canada
If you develop symptoms of coronavirus before you are scheduled to leave, do not get on board any form of public transportation. Seek medical attention.
If you experience symptoms of COVID-19 during a flight, tell the flight attendant before you land or the border services officer as you enter the country. They will notify a quarantine officer who will assess your symptoms.
If you do not have symptoms but believe you were exposed to a source of COVID-19, report this information to a Canada border services agent on arrival in Canada. This is required under the Quarantine Act. The Canada border services agent will provide instructions for you to follow.
We have put messaging on arrivals screens at international airports that will help guide travellers to inform a border services officer if they are experiencing flu-like symptoms.
During the 14 days after your return
If you develop symptoms of COVID-19 isolate yourself at home as quickly as possible and call your appropriate public health authority immediately.
Describe your symptoms and document your travel history. Your health care professional or health authority will provide instructions for you to follow, including appropriate arrangements for your medical assessment.

Ok, I'll just in here with the caveat "This is just my opinion" but i think you are asking for that. I'm not a health care professional nor do i consider my suggestions to apply to anyone other than my family.

I would be cancelling with the list of things you provided - lots of health risk factors that will make your hubby a great host for an illness that targets the lungs. The biggest warning bell for me is the fact that he's self-employed. So is mine and we simply can't afford for him to not work and being quarantined would present a very real hardship for us. If i was in your shoes i would be extremely disappointed but it would be ME telling hubby that we wouldn't be going, all while smiling (and inwardly screaming NO NO NO)

Again, sorry but i think you are asking for other's opinions and that's mine.
I am asking for opinions. My mind knows all that you said. My heart hasn’t quite caught up yet. We are dvc so many trips to come.

quandrea
Just wanted you to know that you have a BIG heart and will make the right decisions Hon.
Being DVC does help knowing that you have many years ahead to enjoy Disney with your family.
So many people are worried about getting sick and how they will make ends meet if this happens,,I had this talk with my oldest son this morning (he works in the service industry) and needs every pay cheque to make it work.
Thinking of you :hug:
Hugs
Mel

Before traveling speak to custom border protection and ask. Just being a Canadian doesn't mean they will let you in.
That's not my understanding. A quick search turns up
Canada's Charter of Rights and Freedoms makes it unconstitutional for the Canadian government to deny a Canadian entry into Canada. "
Which was my understanding as well.

As long as you prove you are Canadian they cannot deny entry. However the CBSA agents are also quarantine agents and can legally "arrest" you into quarantine if they deem necessary.

As Canadian citizens it is unconstitutional to deny entry to our citizens. The planes may not bring you in .. but you show up at the border and you will be vetted and allowed in. You may go directly to holding or quarantine if suspected to be ill, but again you are Canadian and are not denied access to your country.
If in the extremely unlikely event they instituted an all out travel ban and you still went .. then it’s anyone’s guess. But that’s not the case here.

Travel outside of the USA is something to think twice about. This is like an episode of the Twilight Zone. The cruise ship that can't find a dock right now. Is this a cruise ship you ever want to be on? Never in my wildest dreams did I ever see this coming.

This is all just too much. I have tried to keep a positive outlook as I really want to go but it is challenging when I read everything people are saying. Lots of great information and some resources I never would have found on my own.

I think I have now decided no more news network watching (they are obsessed with Covid-19). No more reading these threads (on Covid-19). I will look at the situation on April 19th and make my call about going or not going at that time(will still have time to cancel my RO reservation). Hopefully things will be a little clearer, one way or the other, by then.

Ottawamom...hopefully by the end of April they will know more about the virus. It is a tough decision deciding whether to go or cancel. I know we had a trip planned to WDW in October 2001, not long after 9-11...everyone kept saying - I can't believe you are still going - we were driving down. We wanted just one person to say to us, I am so glad you are still travelling. You will know what is the right decision for your family when the time comes to make that final decision.

Canadian citizens have a Constitutional right to enter Canada. So, ultimately they have to let a citizen enter the country if they manage to present themselves at a land border port of entry.

However, there are controls at the border and various regulations and laws that may put conditions on the circumstances of how one is allowed into the country. For example, someone who is ill or traveling from certain locations may be required to get clearance from a federal quarantine officer and if not fully cleared may be placed into quarantine or have other restrictions placed on them upon entry.

It was California’s governor declaring a state of emergency due to covid that led to cancelling our DL trip. Eating the Air Canada fares wasn’t what we wanted, but it was too risky (for me, everyone is different) to think of flying in to LA, touring DLR, & being exposed to thousands of travellers. Hoping everything calms down but it is scary right now.

I was just thinking about insurance with my BMO mastercard. It is with Allianz Global.

This is how I paid for everything so far:

One way flights - Air Canada vouchers
One way flights - Air Miles + $141 taxes charged to MC
5 day passes - Air Miles
Resort - $227 US deposit, but $1800+CDN in WDW gifts waiting to be used

If I had to cancel our December trip, would I only get back the $141 I charged to my MC? Could I claim all of the money I used to purchase the WDW gift cards for the resort as they would only be usable in WDW, therefore, not refundable? Further, is it wise to keep buying WDW gift cards at this point, or should I be just saving the cash for now?

Ugh! I hate this uncertainty!

I was just thinking about insurance with my BMO mastercard. It is with Allianz Global.

This is how I paid for everything so far:

One way flights - Air Canada vouchers
One way flights - Air Miles + $141 taxes charged to MC
5 day passes - Air Miles
Resort - $227 US deposit, but $1800+CDN in WDW gifts waiting to be used

If I had to cancel our December trip, would I only get back the $141 I charged to my MC? Could I claim all of the money I used to purchase the WDW gift cards for the resort as they would only be usable in WDW, therefore, not refundable? Further, is it wise to keep buying WDW gift cards at this point, or should I be just saving the cash for now?

Ugh! I hate this uncertainty!

Seriously, I would hope this is all over by the summer, let alone December! Our WDW tickets (all courtesy of air miles) expire then and I will cry if we can’t use them before then!

Also, I’ve stopped redeeming for WDW gift cards with my PC points. I have close to $1200 in gift cards that are now just sitting there since I cancelled our March break trip:sad:

Because it is an evolving changing situation with more cases breaking out, guidelines for entry / re-entry into a country could change quickly. Self-reporting in of itself is not as useful one may imagine since symptoms may appear 2-14 days after exposure; and whether one is dismissive of their symptoms as just being a common cold. The current quarantine of the Grand Princess while denied entry to the Port of San Francisco reflects the aforementioned; no-one knew of possible infection until after someone tragically passed away. Day-to-day life still goes on though but now with more focus on pre-cautionary measures. For example, several comic-con type events are being held this week but with measures in place. The Supernatural Convention in Las Vegas for one, currently underway this weekend, issued the following to its attendees: SPN Las Vegas will be a "touch-free" event. Shaking hands, hugging, asking to hold props and physical contact with the actors will not be permitted. Please also don’t bring the actors any letters, cards or gifts, as we will not be able to accept them.

We each have to evaluate our own situation re: travel and the risk it may pose not only to ourselves but to those in our family and friends who are more susceptible because of age, weakened immune systems etc. Like everyone else, we are carefully monitoring the news to ascertain whether we will proceed with our travel plans this year; one of which includes a stay at WDW. We will stay at home though if we believe that the risk outweighs any financial loss we may experience regarding the cancellation of airfares already paid. We have experienced what it is like to be temporarily held aboard a cruise ship in the past, while being boarded by CDC, due to an outbreak of the norovirus. One always assumes it won't happen to them, until it does.

It was California’s governor declaring a state of emergency due to covid that led to cancelling our DL trip. Eating the Air Canada fares wasn’t what we wanted, but it was too risky (for me, everyone is different) to think of flying in to LA, touring DLR, & being exposed to thousands of travellers. Hoping everything calms down but it is scary right now.

As an FYI, I think states are typically quick to declare emergencies as that's required to access certain funds. Totally get your decision though. We are going to Orlando in 10 days and are 50/50. Have already rescheduled our Aug 2020 Fantasy cruise to Aug 2021.

We are travelling from Canada end of April and unless there is a warning advising people not to travel to the LA area or Disney decides to close their parks, we will go. We will be diligent but we have gone in the thick of flu season almost every trip priro to this one and honestly we never gave so much as a second thought.

A cruise however? No, not now, I'd cancel that. Not out of fear of dying, out of fear of being stuck quarantined with nowhere to dock for weeks. Yuck!

We are travelling from Canada end of April and unless there is a warning advising people not to travel to the LA area or Disney decides to close their parks, we will go. We will be diligent but we have gone in the thick of flu season almost every trip priro to this one and honestly we never gave so much as a second thought.

A cruise however? No, not now, I'd cancel that. Not out of fear of dying, out of fear of being stuck quarantined with nowhere to dock for weeks. Yuck!
Going on a cruise at anytime is something you couldn't pay me to do. Your confined to a space and if a flu virus breaks out, well trip over.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter