• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone else worried about Universal closing again?

Anna Chassereau

DIS Veteran
Anyone worried that they’d close again with the rising numbers in Florida and it being called the new potential coronavirus “epicenter”? This is not meant to start any drama or anything just curious...we have a trip planned for the beginning of August and we are so ready to go and are so excited...we are ready to go and aren’t scared just starting to worry with the rising numbers closures may happen...thoughts on this?

I'm not as concerned about this (I don't think the state/county/city will want them to close again) but I am worried that my state will put Florida on the quarantine list. Our trip is me and my husband and our adult daughter. Both of them are expected back at work the day after we return, and I'm a teacher and my first day back to work (assuming we do go back to school) is within the 2 weeks we'd have to quarantine. It would definitely mean the trip is not going to happen for us.

I wasn't until this morning. I have a trip May trip re-booked to July 29 - August 5. Just made my transportation reservations from the airport. Does anyone have a site that's best to keep a watch on what is going on in Florida? I already have a backup trip planned in October and December.

I wonder if any of the rise in cases are due to theme parks? Are they doing contract tracing?

I'm not as concerned about this (I don't think the state/county/city will want them to close again) but I am worried that my state will put Florida on the quarantine list. Our trip is me and my husband and our adult daughter. Both of them are expected back at work the day after we return, and I'm a teacher and my first day back to work (assuming we do go back to school) is within the 2 weeks we'd have to quarantine. It would definitely mean the trip is not going to happen for us.

Ugh! I hadn't thought of that! Even if my state doesn't mandate quarantine, my job might (I'm a nurse).

I’m not worried for my trip because it’s in 10 days.

I’d be worried if it was August. Quarantining is a good likelihood to even before they. Doesn’t effect me because Texas is in the same place as Florida, maybe even sightly worse off. I’m on summer break and my wife is working from home until August 3 at the earliest.

I’d be worried if it was August. Quarantining is a good likelihood to even before they. Doesn’t effect me because Texas is in the same place as Florida, maybe even sightly worse off. I’m on summer break and my wife is working from home until August 3 at the earliest.
I’m confused. Why would you be worried for August?

If I had a trip for August I would be worried... a Florida is not doing well right now and it’s only going to get worse.
Florida is going to get worse, but if they spike in July, will they be past the surge by August?

Admittedly, we don’t know what a spike looks like when there aren’t strict social distancing measures in place (I.e. stay at home), but here in CT, we only had a few weeks of the hospitals filling up and they were never overwhelmed before they started to empty back out.

More testing means more cases, but are we seeing more hospitalizations?
I've read about large groups of college age kids testing positive and having no or mild symptoms in Orlando.
This is driving the average age down in Florida - we may see similar elsewhere.
Also - they are counting people with the anti bodies as positive from what I have read.

Seems like the deaths and hospitalizations are not skyrocketing - at least not yet.
https://tallahasseereports.com/2020...ive-trends-for-florida-in-coronavirus-battle/
I would watch for the next week or two to see if that changes.

Same here. My trip is in 8 days and I'm from Texas too. Not worried. I don't think things are going to shut down again no matter what. The country won't survive it.

Anyone worried that they’d close again with the rising numbers in Florida and it being called the new potential coronavirus “epicenter”? This is not meant to start any drama or anything just curious...we have a trip planned for the beginning of August and we are so ready to go and are so excited...we are ready to go and aren’t scared just starting to worry with the rising numbers closures may happen...thoughts on this?
You'll be fine. We have had protests with tens of thousands of people in close proximity and nothing has happened.

It’s more about state quarantines coming in. It’s only a matter of time before my state hits that list.

Since UO is strictly enforcing masks, your likelihood of catching it from another park guest is lower. I really feel it's fairly safe within the confines of the park and citiwalk areas. UO appears to be doing a really good job given everything they're up against.

Unfortunately, outside of the parks, many residents are ignoring requests (or in many cases the actual law) to mask up and many stores, restaurants and other businesses aren't enforcing their own mask and distancing rules.

I'd say you're much safer IN the parks than outside them.. lol.

I can definitely believe other states - especially those with dropping covid numbers - may add new quarantine requirements now that NY started the ball rolling.

Since I live in this crazy state already and I have to go out sometime, I'll probably still visit this fall if things don't get too much crazier. But if I lived in another state or had loved ones that did, I'd be urging them to refrain from Florida travel - or at the very least, stay within the confines of UO and don't spend too much time visiting nearby areas for now.

Last edited:
I'm not concerned that Universal will shut down again. What does concern me is the rise in cases in general, but my trip isn't until October so who knows what will be happening then? Second wave?

I wasn't until this morning. I have a trip May trip re-booked to July 29 - August 5. Just made my transportation reservations from the airport. Does anyone have a site that's best to keep a watch on what is going on in Florida? I already have a backup trip planned in October and December.

I wonder if any of the rise in cases are due to theme parks? Are they doing contract tracing?
https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/96dd742462124fa0b38ddedb9b25e429/ I've followed this site since March.

More testing means more cases, but are we seeing more hospitalizations?
I've read about large groups of college age kids testing positive and having no or mild symptoms in Orlando.
This is driving the average age down in Florida - we may see similar elsewhere.
Also - they are counting people with the anti bodies as positive from what I have read.

Seems like the deaths and hospitalizations are not skyrocketing - at least not yet.
https://tallahasseereports.com/2020...ive-trends-for-florida-in-coronavirus-battle/
I would watch for the next week or two to see if that changes.

Also, people being retested are being counted too.

Meaning if I tested positive last week, and got tested again today, and still positive, I'm basically being counted twice. Which I saw a stat where they think that could be as high as 20% of the cases

We are planning on going mid-October, but not terribly worried about them shutting down, however we may not go if the mask requirement is still in place as we would rather wait to go when we don't have to wear masks.

We were just in Florida and it was no fun (for us, personally) being out and and about doing stuff w/ masks on in the heat.

I check this site often:

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/testing/individual-states/florida
It takes out the ambiguity factor of more people being tested (because of course more tests will mean more raw positive results) so it shows a more important indicator of % positive, or people being tested again because it gives a trend over time (people testing positive again after a few days and still being positive would not lend to such a steep trend curve and be more flat).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter