• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone else started Christmas shopping ?

OP here,
I got my list yesterday from DD when they came over for my birthday cookout - Yay... my grandson only wants everything under the sun... LOL.. he's 5 so that is to be expected... LOL..

I need slim pants for him.. 6 slims... he is pretty tall for being 5, as well has long legs and arms...most people think he is like 7 years old... we measured him yesterday, 4 feet on the dot... suggestions on where to get some slim pants and jeans for him.. ? I bought a pair of adjustable pants for him, and when you adjust them to fit him they look funny in the waist, and he doesn't like them, he said they feel funny Mimi...and at 5 he is a clothes horse already... so they are going back to the store this week... he likes athletic pants, lightweight, like warm up pants... which I am always looking for... I might have to get them to fit in the length, then take them in the waist... which I prefer not to have to do..
Happy birthday! My birthday was on Saturday. We had my parents over for cake on our deck, too.

Check out Brooks Brothers and J Crew online. BB is having 70% off on clearance. I was looking at the ladies' clothes over the weekend, but they have kids, too. I once got my nephew a pair of corduroys for school for $8. That was in an outlet store. The issue is that the price is as marked and not another 70% off of the lowest cost. Boo... There was an $800 coat marked to $240 that I'd have bought for my DD if the $240 had another 70% off. I'll keep watching in case I can snag it before Christmas.

Got as few things this weekend for DD19. (She is much easier to just pick things up for than DS21). Was at the Outlet and got her a Vera Bradley Travel Bag with 3 Smaller bags in it for Toiletries and Makeup and stuff and then a Vera Bradley Glasses Case - both in the same pattern she has in a backpack/travel pillow and mask. So, that was 50% off plus another 30% off.

Then I ordered her a set of IT Cosmetics Brushes. We both love those brushes. And I ordered her a Fuzzy Blanket from Etsy with Mouse Ears on it and it says "My Disney Watching Blanket".

Also ordered a quilt for my Son's girlfriend. She loves the Grinch. So ordered her a Patchwork Quilt from Etsy of the Grinch. Super cute. Got her a Queen Size so she could use on her bed if she wants or just as a blanket when on the couch.

My kids were taught young to produce a list early. To be fair though they can only ask Santa for one thing. One. But with all the gifts from the rest of the family its likely if something tickles their fancy it will end up under the tree or ready for their birthdays a month later.

Only one Christmas did the Santa list get changed. (Feel free to skip)

My son James was 4 and coming along with his speech (autistic) but could not answer open ended questions (what do you want?) only yes or no questions (do you want the blue cup?). He could parrot a phrase given to him if practiced. We decided to visit Santa at the mall the morning of Christmas Eve. We practiced the entire way there that when Santa asked what he wanted he should say 'tent' (elves had already ordered a nasa tent for him). Over and over the entire way there and in line. 'What do you want for Christmas?" "Tent."

Moment arrives and James is actually making eye contact and willing to stand very close to Santa and we are all feeling thrilled. And then Santa asks, "What do you want for Christmas?" And James takes a moment and we are about to prod him with "tent" as practiced and instead he says "red shoes and a soccer ball".

I don't think I have ever been so shocked. He had never strung so many word together. Never had answered an opened question. Never had directly connected like that with someone without tons of coaching. I cried. And I missed most of Christmas Eve extended family visit driving all over the state and searching like crazy but Santa absolutely had those red tennis shoes and a soccer ball under the tree in the morning.

So my friend is in the same boat... She ordered 2 Frozen dolls sets ( Elsa and Anna) and 2 Barbies, for her great nieces for Christmas... they were back ordered twice now since July... the thing is, I was at Wal-mart... and I thought I saw the dolls that she was talking about, so I took a picture of them with a ? , and sent them to her, my phone started ringing within a second... She was like buy them for me... Please... I was like okay... she then sent me a picture of the barbies which Wal-mart had as well... so I got those for her too... She has already paid me and picked them up... she was on her way to Wal-mart and Target to see what else that they had, that was on her list... then home to cancel the order...

I only order on line if its something that I can't get, or something from Etsy, Ebay... I hate..... hate to order from Amazon.... I guess I am unlucky every time we have ordered from Amazon, there have been issue... wrong color, wrong size, or both... not even close to what we ordered, back ordered, broken, opened packages... I just don't see what the big deal is with them...and the customer service sucks... If I break down and order on-line, I order from the store directly...

I just bought a new sewing machine from JoAnn's... It was sold out in stores... It said 6 to 10 days for delivery... I ordered in on Monday 9/7 and got it on Wednesday 9/9 of the same week so 2 days and it was free shipping... Yay .... Same when DH order from Bass Pro Shop... Order on a Sunday, and by Wednesday we had what he ordered...
Yes they were actually Disney dolls! but we got the delivery due to virtual learning I can't really get out and go shopping so trying to get them as soon as I can, you are a great friend she is lucky yay you got them for her :)

My kids were taught young to produce a list early. To be fair though they can only ask Santa for one thing. One. But with all the gifts from the rest of the family its likely if something tickles their fancy it will end up under the tree or ready for their birthdays a month later.

My son James was 4 and coming along with his speech (autistic) but could not answer open ended questions (what do you want?) only yes or no questions (do you want the blue cup?). He could parrot a phrase given to him if practiced. We decided to visit Santa at the mall the morning of Christmas Eve. We practiced the entire way there that when Santa asked what he wanted he should say 'tent' (elves had already ordered a nasa tent for him). Over and over the entire way there and in line. 'What do you want for Christmas?" "Tent."

Moment arrives and James is actually making eye contact and willing to stand very close to Santa and we are all feeling thrilled. And then Santa asks, "What do you want for Christmas?" And James takes a moment and we are about to prod him with "tent" as practiced and instead he says "red shoes and a soccer ball".

I don't think I have ever been so shocked. He had never strung so many word together. Never had answered an opened question. Never had directly connected like that with someone without tons of coaching. I cried. And I missed most of Christmas Eve extended family visit driving all over the state and searching like crazy but Santa absolutely had those red tennis shoes and a soccer ball under the tree in the morning.

Autism Therapist here. I love stories like this!

OP here,

You made me cry, such happy tears... I hope he is doing well...

My niece's daughter who is now 7, is on the spectrum. A few years ago, I stopped by my brothers house to deliver gifts for her birthday. I really am not around her very much, do to family drama... So I had not seen her in a long time... I went in the house, and she came out of the bedroom, and walked right up to me and said hello... I was like hello... and I offered her one of gift bags, I wanted to watch her open it and she got up in my lap, to open it... I had brought her a Disney Doll "Snow White", she has a collection... She looked at me and said... she is beautiful, and looks like me..., I said yes she looks like you and you are beautiful. She got down from my lap, and motioned me to come in her room, she took my hand, and we walked in and she showed me all her Disney Dolls and named them... then she went on to play... I walked out of her room and my brothers wife is crying and he was to the point of tears... I was like what's wrong... they said she had never had done that before...she never gets in anyone lap or talks to them... I said oh... I guess it takes a Disney Princess to know a Disney Princess, trying to lighten the mood... She hugged and kissed me that day when I left, which started another round of tears...another thing that she doesn't do... My brother was like I can't believe she went to you, you of all people, why you...not in a mean way or anything... more like a question out into the ether... even when I see her now, she gravitate towards me... It's like we have this connection.

OP here...

I did some shopping yesterday... I went to Joann's, to buy some items for my new sewing machine... I went with a list for my machine... so my plan was to get what I need and head home...

I was walking down the aisle... and I noticed these no sew blankets... and I remember that my DD had mention that my grandson loves the ones I made for my DD and SIL right after they were first married Star Wars of course... So I thought let me see if there is something that my DGS would like... and I found a Star Wars "Mandalorian"... So I picked it up, 39.99 and a dollar off so 38.99... and of course these are one of the items you can not use your coupons on...It really did not matter, he will be so excited to have his own Stars Wars blanket... So another gift Yay...

The only thing I've bought so far are dinosaur Christmas pajamas for everyone including the dog from Target. I needed 7 pairs and wanted to make sure I could get matching ones in the same size. This is the first year that neither of my boys believes in Santa and I'm not sure how I'll handle that.

The only thing I've bought so far are dinosaur Christmas pajamas for everyone including the dog from Target. I needed 7 pairs and wanted to make sure I could get matching ones in the same size. This is the first year that neither of my boys believes in Santa and I'm not sure how I'll handle that.

Remind them that" Those who believe will receive" ...

This is the first year that neither of my boys believes in Santa and I'm not sure how I'll handle that.

I wouldn't change a thing. Keep to your traditions. They might roll their eyes at Santa stuff but it is still nice to have those moments. If you had younger ones visiting you can rope the older ones into being elves and helping with the magic but if not-it is okay to keep up all your Santa traditions.

I wouldn't change a thing. Keep to your traditions. They might roll their eyes at Santa stuff but it is still nice to have those moments. If you had younger ones visiting you can rope the older ones into being elves and helping with the magic but if not-it is okay to keep up all your Santa traditions.
My kids are 24 and 25. They have been helping me bring the Santa gifts to the living room on Christmas Eve for years. They still "believe" in Santa because they will open a gift and say, "look what Santa brought for me!" They understand the magic and want to keep it going for both themselves and their Dad and I.

When DS14 stopped believing, I think the person most disappointed was my older son (now 23). He really enjoyed being part of the magic for his younger siblings. Specifically, we had a naughty Elf on the Shelf, and he was really fond of setting up the various tricks and scenarios (Christmas lights on the toilet, underwear decorating the tree, etc.).

OTOH, it's a lot easier now, not having to do the big Santa deal.

OP here, and today I am going shopping for my birthday...

Yay... to the outlets on I drive...I do have a few things that I would like to find for myself, and are not needed right now, they will be in the next couple of months...I have my Christmas list tucked down in my bag for reference in case I come across something that might tick another item off the list...

I will let you all know how it goes...

OP here,
I got my list yesterday from DD when they came over for my birthday cookout - Yay... my grandson only wants everything under the sun... LOL.. he's 5 so that is to be expected... LOL..

I need slim pants for him.. 6 slims... he is pretty tall for being 5, as well has long legs and arms...most people think he is like 7 years old... we measured him yesterday, 4 feet on the dot... suggestions on where to get some slim pants and jeans for him.. ? I bought a pair of adjustable pants for him, and when you adjust them to fit him they look funny in the waist, and he doesn't like them, he said they feel funny Mimi...and at 5 he is a clothes horse already... so they are going back to the store this week... he likes athletic pants, lightweight, like warm up pants... which I am always looking for... I might have to get them to fit in the length, then take them in the waist... which I prefer not to have to do..

It's been a long time (so not sure what current status is, but might be worth looking), but for my slim son growing up, GAP was the one place where I could get pants slim pants, slim enough and long enough for him. They had those adjustable bands too, but they were better made and required less of an adjustment than anything else I tried (were more comfortable). The brand name GAP actually originated to be somewhere that supplies the GAP in sizes that you can't find at other places. They were more expensive than a lot of places when I shopped there, so take that into consideration too, but clothes are high quality and last a long time. That's probably not much comfort if you have kids/grandkids that are growing super fast. It might be a place to check out though. With anyone who is hard to fit, I will typically buy one pair online that looks good for the slim person to try on and if that works get more (if it doesn't work return).

It's been a long time (so not sure what current status is, but might be worth looking), but for my slim son growing up, GAP was the one place where I could get pants slim pants, slim enough and long enough for him. They had those adjustable bands too, but they were better made and required less of an adjustment than anything else I tried (were more comfortable). The brand name GAP actually originated to be somewhere that supplies the GAP in sizes that you can't find at other places. They were more expensive than a lot of places when I shopped there, so take that into consideration too, but clothes are high quality and last a long time. That's probably not much comfort if you have kids/grandkids that are growing super fast. It might be a place to check out though. With anyone who is hard to fit, I will typically buy one pair online that looks good for the slim person to try on and if that works get more (if it doesn't work return).

OP here,

Thanks so much I will look into Gap, I really did not have that store on my radar. I don't mind paying a bit more for something that is well made and will survive my Grandson!! He is quite the clothes horse at 5... my DD blames me... I am always buying him something new to wear... I just can't resist... he told me on my birthday, that he wanted a pair of hiker boots... like in the book... Then he went and got this LL Bean catalog that I had, and showed them to me... No wonder my DD blames me... LOL... not sorry .. LOL

OP here,

Up date on my shopping at the outlet...( we went to the one at the end of I-drive) first off check the time it opens, not until 11:00 am... and even some of the smaller stores did not open until well after even though the time on the door stated 11:00... I was glad to see the fitting rooms open in each store that we went into..
We hit Loft and Ann Taylor... I did pick up 2 tank tops for right under 5.00 each, they are just tanks. Using for swimsuit cover up's... I always need something like this for when we are on the boat, so when it gets sunscreen stains, and whatever else on it... I don't feel bad about it...
We did go into Banana Republic, and they had addition 40 off of clearance... I only ended up with 1 casual T-Shirt - for 12.00 bucks.. It was really cute and something that I could wear year around.. We had planned on eating at Panera... for some reason it was closed still... I will not eat in the food court. It had started sprinkling so we decide to head out. The Disney Store Outlet was very busy, and did have a line outside with folks waiting to get into the store...

After having lunch,

We hit up some of the stores around the mall of Millennia. At Marshall's I did find the cutest, black tunic with the cute little pockets on the front, to wear with leggings... and it was short sleeves... Which here in Florida is a must for our winter... LOL... it was on Clearance for 10.00 considering it had a 85.00 original price on it... and I can do alot with it so I was sold... My Friend found a couple of nice items for hostess gifts, some pot holder, dish towel set in the clearance area for like 2 and 3 dollars... some where missing piece's, we found enough for her to rework them and create some nice sets... she also found a couple of wooden spoon sets, that were like a 1.00 again pieces missing... So she is going to break them apart, and add them with the towel sets. So she will end up with about 6 sets of really nice pot holders, dish towels, and adding in the wooden spoons, I told her to include her favorite recipe... and she was like that's perfect... all together I think she spent under 15.00 dollars..
Ross and Home Goods, I did not get anything but some hand soap on clearance for like 2.99... I wish now that I would have bought the other ones, as its really nice hand soap, and it smells so good...

We skipped DSW - it had really started raining.... so we decided to call it a day...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter