Anyone else started Christmas shopping ?

I know its so early to even start thinking about this... In all honesty I normally start much earlier than this... and with how this year has went, how will this effect you how you budget and shop?

For my family the adults- Everyone get a box, a bag, and a stocking... and in each one there are several gifts... Grandkids are different. My family they love their stockings... so I spend alot of time picking out the little stuff, which can add up very quickly... so I am consistently watching for deals on Gift Cards, and scouring in clearance areas, or deeply discounted items that they can use.. I will not buy things just to fill the stockings, that is a total waste of money... I buy things that I know that they use or want... and of course they get their favorite candy tucked in as well...

So last week I started officially picking up Christmas gifts...

My friend and I were out shopping and made a stop in BAM, Books a Million... I love to go in there and just browse around, lots of good stuff... They were having a really good clearance sale on kids books, I picked up 4 books for my grandson who is 5 - 2 Star Wars, 1 Spiderman, and 1 Dino... for 15.00 dollars, one of the star wars books was priced at 28.00 bucks... so I feel really good about what I got for the price...

My friend bought like 6 or 7 books for her grand-kids, and it was just under 30.00 bucks for her purchase... She was pleased as well, as her grand-daughter is reading a series, and there were 3 books from the series in the clearance section... so she was like score...

I went to Kohls, and found several pairs of jeans for my Grandson...and they were a good price, and when I asked about the return policy as they were for Christmas, I was told 90 days.... another associate said 120 days, and another 180... I thought that at Kohls you could return anything with the receipt at anytime? has this changed recently... I decided not to buy them, as I could not get a clear picture of the return policy ... In the clearance area I did pick up several shirts for myself for fall, and winter, which in Florida means light weight quarter length sleeves, with my Kohls cash and the discounts I spent 23.00 bucks for 5 shirts, which I thought was pretty dang good...

I have picked up several items for my DD for her stocking... mostly hair accessories, and I think a fancy nail file with a case...

So has anyone else jump into the Christmas shopping pool?

I bought DD#2's family gifts already. She is getting the 1st 4 Harry Potter books, illustrated version, and I got her a handmade Porg with a BB8 hat from Etsy. SoIL#2 is getting 2 Jim Butcher books, a set of watercolor pencils, and a 3 pack of watercolor paper pads. DGS#2 is getting several Lego movies, some erasable workbooks, 2 packs of little racecars, some magnetic games (tic tac toe, for example) and some 'can you see' type card games. (DD requested these types of gifts, in lieu of regular gifts, so that they will be new for their long long plane ride to Okinawa; they are celebrating for the adults at the end of October, so their stuff can get packed and shipped with the movers then, and DGS will have his celebration right before they leave, so around the beginning of December.)

I have not purchased DD#1 family gifts yet. I am buying those this month. DGS#1 is getting a gift card (request). DGS#3 is getting 2 Lego sets (Toy Story) and a Lego movie. SoIL#1 is getting 2 Butcher books, DD#2 is getting a couple of piano music books, and then we're getting them 2 garden gnomes for a couples gift (relating to their interests of course).

DS is just wanting $$, so no need to buy early, haha.

DH and I forgo buying gifts for each other; we get what we need when we can afford it. We're trying to pay down debt, so limiting our shopping budget is the plan. He is buying a new SSD for my computer, and maybe a new video card; IDK what he needs, but he'll get something.

I'm hoping to knock a bunch of people off my list on Thursday. My DD and I are going to Woodbury Commons. I'm sad that the Vineyard Vines store is no longer on the store directory, but there are still a lot of others that are there that we can't find around our area except for online.

Yep! The kids are getting chrome books as their cheapie older laptops are failing under the pressures of remote school. Books and pjs and maybe some extra clothes but that’s it beyond stocking stuff. I give a stocking to each of my mom and ILs so I have some things for them - Kleenex, ham, dish towels, wine, new set of turners/spatulas, etc. I have something for one niece and know what I’m getting another but need to solicit ideas from the other nieces and nephews. We don’t exchange gifts with DH’s siblings and I just give gag gifts or a bottle of wine to mine. DH and I don’t give much to each other so that helps a ton.

Last year I told the kids (39 and 41 years old plus their spouses), no more gifts from us. We did take the whole family to disney last Dec, but aside from that, I always hated have to "have to" buy a gift for a gift sake. I usually have no idea what to get people.....which brings us to grand kids.......for several years now, my shopping has been ..X would like this, here is the link on amazon. I order, and wrap. Kids play with toys I never heard of and have clothing style and I'd never know what sizes. I do buy stocking stuffers for 12 people. I've been thinking of those, does that count?

A bit more shopping done, I Ordered a Canon Ivy Mini Mobile Photo for my DD she was asking for one a while back, some cologne for DH, checked my gift wrapping stash i'm good for this year yay! bit by bit getting it done :)

Last year I told the kids (39 and 41 years old plus their spouses), no more gifts from us. We did take the whole family to disney last Dec, but aside from that, I always hated have to "have to" buy a gift for a gift sake. I usually have no idea what to get people.....which brings us to grand kids.......for several years now, my shopping has been ..X would like this, here is the link on amazon. I order, and wrap. Kids play with toys I never heard of and have clothing style and I'd never know what sizes. I do buy stocking stuffers for 12 people. I've been thinking of those, does that count?
Of course stockings count... especially when for so many.

A bit more shopping done, I Ordered a Canon Ivy Mini Mobile Photo for my DD she was asking for one a while back, some cologne for DH, checked my gift wrapping stash i'm good for this year yay! bit by bit getting it done :)

My DD11 loves her Canon Ivy. It was last year Santa's gift.

Nope, always wait until after Thanksgiving to start Christmas shopping. Each year it seems like stores move up the Christmas displays earlier. With covid we aren't going to have any type of large family gathering for either Thanksgiving or Christmas, so likely some gifts will be either mailed or dropped off at relatives houses.

I’ve done most of my shopping for myself 😀 My mom spends about $350/couple on my sister and I, but she won’t choose gifts on her own. If you don’t send her links, you don’t get gifts. I’ve requested a Weather Tech liner for the back of our new van, a lock for our back door that uses a code instead of a traditional key and a cute pair of Disney shoes I found on Amazon. I still need to find a household thing we need for about $100 for her.
We bought a new van a few weeks ago and a new iPad a couple months ago, so I’m going to suggest to DH that we don’t really worry about gifts for each other this year.

Of course stockings count... especially when for so many.

Yes the stocking sure do count.... in the case of my family they love their stockings... after we open the gifts, we take a break, clean up some, get drinks and snacks... Then we dig into the stockings... I'm working on items for the stockings... right now... its easy for me to pick up items for the women... the guys stuff is always trickery... Home Depot, Lowes, Bass Pro Shop are always where I start at...they always seem to have some small useful items...they need or want...

The last couple of years, I have started a having everyone that is here for Christmas, make sure they bring something to add to everyone else stocking...the item must be over 2.00 and not over 5.00.

I love these threads just for the ideas! I had never heard of the Canon Ivy so now I am researching those and that may be joint gifts for nieces and nephews....
I was browsing those super soft throws on Kohls yesterday, but the seem to be something that you have to feel in person. I was also surprised how many were dry clean only. My DD steals the one I keep in the living room for herself so I was thinking of getting her her own. Also maybe my niece that is a senior so she can take it to school next year, or maybe hold it until graduation. ....

for the person shopping for boys slim pants. I have always had luck with the Gap and Old Navy slims. They are typically only available online around us, but they have free returns online or in store.

We had a bit of a freebie the other day. DD9 gets paid for some extra chores and has years worth of birthday money saved up, but when the money comes from your own hard work, you tend to think before you spend it. So the other day she decided she needed two new outfits from Target for her American Girl size doll (also target brand). She ordered them online and when they came only one of the outfits was in the box, the wrong item they sent was the full size pony for these dolls. So I showed her how to check the order on the app and what to do to report it. It warmed my heart when they said to keep or donate the item and without missing a beat she asked if we could donate it to one of the toy drives at school or the church. So we have a gift for a toy drive, thank you Target. We will match this with a gift of our own.

Right now I am trying to think of something clever for the nephews ages 12-15.
Time to start researching books for gifting and going through the amazon list I make during the year with think I think people might want.

i'm waiting on a bb&beyond order for one gift. oldest kid came over and saw ds's new ugg comforter-was floored at how soft it was so i thought 'good, practical gift'.

Comfy blankets are hugely popular here. I'm not sure why, we live in the South, and have about a week of winter. But, my kids do love a snuggly blanket!

Stockings are everyone's favorite on Christmas morning. Our rule is, you get up (not before 6!), and you can open your stocking. We do under-the-tree gifts once everyone's awake. Usually we do them after breakfast.

One thing I'm looking to get this year is live wreaths. I always buy all of my direct reports a gift. It stresses me out every year for some reason. Last year my sister was talking about getting herself and our mom a live wreath each year and I decided that might be a great gift for them. I know it's really too early to buy yet, but when looking around, I see them offered at LL Bean, Harry and David and it seems like a couple other places.

I was wondering if anyone has ordered these in the past, where you got them from and if they were nice. Trying to plan ahead a bit. I'd love to pair the purchase with a cash back portal or something, but really, I just want to make sure that they deliver to each recipient and I'll be happy!

I bought my first Christmas present yesterday. I picked up a pair of earrings for my daughter for 14.00 at tjmaxx. I'm not sure if they'll end up in her stocking or under the tree yet. I'm still waiting on both of my kids list. Poor things don't even know what they want or need yet.

I'm also having problems picking out gifts for my mom. The last few years I've found myself buying her grandma/old lady things, gasp! She's almost 70 and I don't really view her as old. She has more energy than me! LOL! So I'm looking for something fun for her. I'm also going to purchase her a new tv for her living room. She's on a fixed income and really can't afford to purchase big ticket items, so I do it for her and her 65" old plasma tv died over the summer. I guess I'm looking for smaller items that don't create clutter.

But Yay I started my shopping!

I've been done for several weeks :jester: The problem for me with shopping so early is that I end up buying additional things closer to Christmas because I'm in the holiday spirit. This year I had already started to experience shipping issues (very delayed and lost packages) so I'm glad I'm done.

I just bought a 5 foot $30 tacky pop up tree with LED lights to take with us in December. My DH, DD (9) and I are meeting my stepson and his wife (in their 30s) for a week to celebrate Christmas a week or so early. For once I'm glad we are driving so I can pack all of their gifts :D

ETA: and since my DH is not known for ever giving a gift to anyone LOL, I bought myself the Sweet Treats Disney Vera Bradley tote and crossbody as my Christmas gift from him. They came today - SO STINKING CUTE

Started now! Done my sister for her bday (nov) and Xmas, also Grandma. Bought one of husband's presents, his bday is Christmas Eve so it's an $$$$ time of year. Think I've finished his stocking too. He's getting a new large TV for the main pressie so have scheduled a couple of extra shifts in Nov to help pay for it.. hoping for some good black tri sales, although in Australia that's hit or miss.

One thing I'm looking to get this year is live wreaths. I always buy all of my direct reports a gift. It stresses me out every year for some reason. Last year my sister was talking about getting herself and our mom a live wreath each year and I decided that might be a great gift for them. I know it's really too early to buy yet, but when looking around, I see them offered at LL Bean, Harry and David and it seems like a couple other places.

I was wondering if anyone has ordered these in the past, where you got them from and if they were nice. Trying to plan ahead a bit. I'd love to pair the purchase with a cash back portal or something, but really, I just want to make sure that they deliver to each recipient and I'll be happy!
Costco has the nicest lives ones but I realize that doesn't help you on shopping. I have used LL BEAN For wreath delivery and been pleased although I do think they are overpriced compared to COSTCO but I have bought..the ones I purchase from LL Beand to be more uniqure - beach one if someone lives on beach etc.

I use to buy early and be done but I realized I simply kept shopping and swapping and returning and it was a huge waste of time for me. Now I start getting mental ideas and pick things up - lego set I think might sell out, etc. and then purchase early November. My DD21 always says :surprise me with no list so I do!

Costco has the nicest lives ones but I realize that doesn't help you on shopping. I have used LL BEAN For wreath delivery and been pleased although I do think they are overpriced compared to COSTCO but I have bought..the ones I purchase from LL Beand to be more uniqure - beach one if someone lives on beach etc.

Thank you - I'll definitely check out Costco. I found an old post and they look nice and like they are definitely cheaper than LL Bean. I would rather have them delivered, but will have to think about it based on the savings!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter