Anyone else go away from CPAP?

sam_gordon

DIS Veteran
I've been using a CPAP for 13 months now. The first nine months I had a face mask that covered my nose and mouth and the hose was in front. Around the beginning of the year, I got a "nasal" one that has the hose at the top of the head and just blows air in my nose.

Over the last 13 months, I could count on one hand (and probably have fingers left over) when I have had full night of sleep. Every night I wake up at least 2-3 times to adjust the contraption.

Now, my wife is happy because I don't snore. So yes, it's doing it's job. But I'm personally not happy with it. I was told "you'll sleep so much better" and "you'll feel so rested once you get used to it!". Totally NOT the case. I feel like I slept better when I was snoring.

I'm willing to put up with it because it helps DW sleep better. But if I had a solution that allowed us BOTH to sleep well, that would be ideal.

Anyone else try CPAP and find out it just wasn't working for them? What did you do?

CPAP does seem like it would be annoying and uncomfortable. I do know several people who swear by it though.

Isn't the idea really supposed to be about putting less strain on your heart, moreso than it being a means of sleeping better?

I've been on CPAP for about 5 years and still hate it.
I've tried dozens of different masks and my teeth have shifted from the mask pressing on them.
If I get an air leak, the machine ramps up the wind and wakes me.
I've asked about the surgery and was told it was only 50 percent chance of success and would be hard to get insurance to cover it.
I am thinking of asking the dentist about an appliance that helps, it is meant for snoring not sleep apnea but read it can help with apnea.
Looks like the appliance pulls the lower jaw forth to make more room in the airway.
Good luck!

CPAP does seem like it would be annoying and uncomfortable. I do know several people who swear by it though.

Isn't the idea really supposed to be about putting less strain on your heart, moreso than it being a means of sleeping better?
My understanding was it was supposed to allow you to breathe. Sleep Apnea is when you stop breathing in your sleep. The CPAP is basically just forcing air into your nose and/or mouth.

My understanding was it was supposed to allow you to breathe. Sleep Apnea is when you stop breathing in your sleep. The CPAP is basically just forcing air into your nose and/or mouth.

Yes, with the idea that it would counterbalance the incidences of lack of oxygen from the apnea, in turn putting less strain on your heart by providing a more consistent source of oxygen.

Yes, with the idea that it would counterbalance the incidences of lack of oxygen from the apnea, in turn putting less strain on your heart by providing a more consistent source of oxygen.
Whatever the goal is, it's apparently doing according to the doctor (and when I look at the stats). BUT, I don't like waking up 2-3 times a night just to adjust it. I'm not old enough to get up that many times to use the bathroom, maybe this is getting me ready for that. :P

Whatever the goal is, it's apparently doing according to the doctor (and when I look at the stats). BUT, I don't like waking up 2-3 times a night just to adjust it. I'm not old enough to get up that many times to use the bathroom, maybe this is getting me ready for that. :P

IMO better your heart is happy and keeps pumping -- so that you're still healthy and able to wake up several times a night to use the bathroom when that day comes. I do get that it's probably uncomfortable and annoying. Suck it up, Buttercup, and stay healthy so we still get to see what you have to say around these parts.

Husband went the route of the dental appliance. We both knew he wouldn’t be compliant with the CPAP. He’s still working through the adjustments but it has made a world of difference. My dad just got one too, but too soon to tell.

I can’t even imagine using one. My mom needed one and hated it, despised it. She wound up getting the surgery and it seemed to work fairly well. Snoring was down 85% and it seemed to work on her apnea. In conjunction with the surgery, she had a mouth appliance for nights and went through many as she’d break them during sleep. 15 year later, she had a boatload of health issues and needed a CPAP once again, completely different issues. She hated it. She wound up with a bi-pap but still the same type of thing.

Have you considered a sleeping cap to help it stay in place?

i have the same style. My ponytail holds it in place, but ive thought of getting a cap

Have you considered a sleeping cap to help it stay in place?

i have the same style. My ponytail holds it in place, but ive thought of getting a cap
No. I can't imagine that being very comfortable. My issue is I usually sleep on my side, so it puts pressure on the mask.

I had a sleep study done and I don't remember the specifics but if if "anything over a 5 is very mild apnea" I was a 6. So like there, but barely. I tried CPAP and like some of you have said, my husband was very please because the snoring stopped, but I was getting NO sleep. I hated it. I hated the way it felt. And even though my husband and I have been married 17 years, I still felt awkward being in that contraption in front of him. So I went the route of the dental appliance. It took several trips to the dental place, but I finally got it made and adjusted. I didn't love it and I admit wasn't very compliant in wearing it, BUT I loved it so much better than the CPAP. It's less cumbersome but still not as good as sleeping freely :) My husband said I still snored but not as bad.

My CPAP took some getting used to and still gives me an issue now and then, but I use it every night. People die from sleep apnea - I don't want to be one of them. I tried the smaller nostril piece and found it would never stay in place so I now use the over the nose one. It's far less apt to need adjusting in the middle of the night. I am a stomach/side sleeper so sometimes it takes me some time to get comfortable, but once I am asleep, I am typically out for the night.

I used to use a c-pap with a mask that covered my nose and mouth,and I ended up taking it off in my sleep every night. I am not on a bi-pap and a mask that covers just my nose and it rarely bothers me at all, in fact the varying pressure seems to kind of rock me to sleep. You may want to see if your Dr can try you on one of the bipaps. A friend of is a sleep tech and she told me to ask because studies have shown a lot of people do better on them.

@cabanafrau is correct about OSA causing heart problems, but it can also cause something called pulmonary hypertension which is bad news. Sam, first try to work with the prescribers to see if there is a different type of appliance you can use that you're more comfortable with. If that doesn't work, try the dental route or consider the surgery. But don't ignore it. Many do and then they find out they have pulmonary hypertension and it's very difficult to treat.

Okay I am clearly in the minority here. I have used a CPAP for close to 8 years. I had very bad OSA due to my jaw being misaligned-and I have had it since I was a small child. I was told by the doctor that did my orginal sleep study that my options were CPAP or having my jaw broken and wired shut for months while it healed into a more normal alighment-and I still might need a CPAP-so I decided to pass on the jaw breaking. Because I am horribly clausterphobic I use the small nasal pillows and had since I started out. I would love to be able to sleep with out it but it has improved sleep for my husband because I no longer sno snore but for me as well. I no longer get up an night to go to the bathroom. Most nights I sleep all not or only wake up once and that usually due to a 100 lbs dog deciding he needs to be on the bed as well. My blood pressure and my trend toward becoming diabetic improved radically as did my general health. Its not my favorite thing-but I don't want to loose all the things I have gained-SO...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter