Any non-AP parents out there??

Status
Not open for further replies.
DH was the master swaddler and "shhhh'er" for the first couple of weeks....it is truely amazing how that worked! Nerdy or not, the doc sure knows what calms a little one!

The Amby crib is a like a hammock.....and my son LOVES it! Here is info on it...www.ambybaby.com. My only concern is how long they can sleep in it. Amby says up to a weight limit, but I have read that it doesn't do to well for little ones over 6 months or so. And I have read a review about an 18 month old somersalting out of it:eek: But, it is portable, so for now, it can go wherever we go...not that we are jet setting quite yet:)

Very neat. I think my DD would have liked that when she was younger. She spent a lot of time in the swing, "bouncy chair". She was a spiter and liked to be upright (or in our bed.) :rolleyes1
Things I have to keep in mind IF we are ever blessed with another baby. :thumbsup2

DH was the master swaddler and "shhhh'er" for the first couple of weeks....it is truely amazing how that worked! Nerdy or not, the doc sure knows what calms a little one!

The Amby crib is a like a hammock.....and my son LOVES it! Here is info on it...www.ambybaby.com. My only concern is how long they can sleep in it. Amby says up to a weight limit, but I have read that it doesn't do to well for little ones over 6 months or so. And I have read a review about an 18 month old somersalting out of it:eek: But, it is portable, so for now, it can go wherever we go...not that we are jet setting quite yet:)

OMG! What I would have given for that Amby 13 years ago...

There are a few AP parenting threads going on here and I was wondering if there were any others out there who did not adopt this philosophy?

DS did not sleep with me as a baby - he did sleep in a cradle in my room for the first 6 months or so, but that was mostly laziness on my part. lol

DS was only breastfed for a couple of months and then I had to go back to work and he went to formula.

DS was held a lot - way more than my DM and DMIL liked - but I did not "wear" him or have a sling.

DS has been spanked. He is 4 and I've done it a couple of times and not for a couple of years, but I have done it.

Oh - and he has been both circumcised (sp?) and immunized.

I want to be clear that I am NOT bashing AP parenting, nor do I want this thread to turn into anyone bashing anyone. Every parent has the right to adopt and practice their own philosophies on parenting. I'm just curious if there is anyone on these boards who has a philosophy similar to mine.

What you described is not necessarily exclusive of attachment parenting. I don't believe you have a firm grasp of what it is--or isn't--and you have not provided enough information for me to rule you out as an AP parent. So there!:banana:

For a bit more clarification, lots of people are AP without being "crunchy" or embracing natural famiy living methods. AP is a style of relating to your children with warmth and empathy. It literally means to foster a secure emotional bond between you and your child(ren). There are some basic practices involved in AP, and holding is one of them. Sorry--you may be AP, after all!:rotfl: The only thing I would say is definitely not AP is the spanking, but you don't seem to be particularly proud of that and it's well in the past, so I would hardly consider you a spanker.

:woohoo:

OMG! What I would have given for that Amby 13 years ago...

OMGosh! I had my babies at the wrong time! I would have bought that bed in a minute!

Choices made as parents should be the best choices for individual families. I think most people are somewhere in the middle of the extremes, and that it is silly to be nasty and call names because someone else makes different choices. Or, telling people you think they are really screwed up...but it's their choice!

As long as people are loving, and caring for their babies, their babies will thrive and this world will benefit. My opinion.:)

The Amby crib is a like a hammock.....and my son LOVES it! Here is info on it...www.ambybaby.com. My only concern is how long they can sleep in it. Amby says up to a weight limit, but I have read that it doesn't do to well for little ones over 6 months or so.

Good Lord! What I missed! It says it is good for preemies, reflux and colic. My preemies had reflux AND colic.:rotfl2: Where was this????

: AP is a style of relating to your children with warmth and empathy. It literally means to foster a secure emotional bond between you and your child(ren). There are some basic practices involved in AP, and holding is one of them. Sorry--you may be AP, after all!:rotfl: The only thing I would say is definitely not AP is the spanking, but you don't seem to be particularly proud of that and it's well in the past, so I would hardly consider you a spanker.

I think most people - 99% want that kind of relationship with their children. I don't think they need a book or rules or a fancy name to achieve it. I also believe most people like to hold their children but they don't need to sleep with their children or 'wear' them to develop a close bond.

I have no idea if I am AP or not...I just do what is right for my children:

Here is what we do/did with our children - 2 girls, one is 13 and the other is 18 months old

• We immunized both girls fully
  • We use disposable diapers
  • We do co-sleep sometimes when the girls were sick or just wanted to sleep with us - we have had no problem with getting them back into their own beds (just for the record, the 13 year old does not co-sleep with us anymore) haha
  • I am currently breastfeeding my dd18months
  • I bottlefed by first daughter - was not able to nurse her
  • Did not use a sling or wrap with first daughter
  • Tried the sling with 2nd daughter - she did not like it too much so I quit trying
  • I picked them up and held them if they cried
  • Did not use a schedule -allowed them to let me know when they were hungry
  • Do not and will not spank my girls
  • If I had a son, he would have been circumcised

So - I do not know where I fall on the "mainstream" / "AP" scale - but it works for us! :goodvibes

I am amazed at how this thread completely fell apart.

I'm locking it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter