Any news when DVC members can get an annual pass???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because AP sales are immediate cash flow 'on the phone' with no immediate expense whatsoever other than the cost of the agent to carry out the sale. To the tune of millions and millions of dollars. To be honest, I'm surprised even the BOD directors hasn't asked the obvious question, "With millions and millions of dollars of free money sitting out there, why aren't you collecting it?" I'm not stupid. I know it's not that simple. But it isn't that complicated either.

The BOD at the end of the day is a conglomerate of friends of friends who have agreed to do little work for a large return. They have very little incentive to do things.

EXACTLY! That should have been offered to DVC as well! I have an AP but DH doesn't & we have made several trips having to buy day tickets that we're done until APs return. We have a Feb trip that I will have to cancel soon if something isn't announced & let's just say - I'm not holding my breath but revenge travel is starting to dry up at least by this summer by the looks of things.

It would be a nice option wouldn’t it? It’s why my emails that I have sent to DPEP and DVC have expressed this, even if it was an occasional things

If they do not want to sell new APs, then at least think about offering something to DVC owners. In fact, I’d venture to guess that a special ticket deal would be more popular than an AP for many.

<snip> If they do not want to sell new APs, then at least think about offering something to DVC owners. In fact, I’d venture to guess that a special ticket deal would be more popular than an AP for many. </snip>

I'm sure there's a points cutoff somewhere where discounted day tickets make sense. Obviously there is, but there's a lot of DVC owners that own enough points where day tickets will never make sense financially. It's a different pain threshold for everybody in that category, and some may never feel it at all, but most of us probably do. Compared to even the current cost of APs, a discounted day ticket to us would have to be priced so ridiculously low, that Disney would never even consider it. I suspect I'm not alone in that category. Would it work for some DVC members? Certainly. Can we paint DVC with a broad brush with it? Absolutely not.

Last edited:
I'm sure there's a points cutoff somewhere where discounted day tickets make sense. Obviously there is, but there's a lot of DVC owners that own enough points where day tickets will never make sense financially. It's a different pain threshold for everybody in that category, and some may never feel it at all, but most us probably do. Compared to even the current cost of APs, a discounted day ticket to us would have to be priced so ridiculously low, that Disney would never even consider it. I suspect I'm not alone in that category. Would it work for some DVC members? Certainly. Can we paint DVC with a broad brush with it? Absolutely not.

I still believe that there are a lot fewer DVC owners who actually buy APs than those that simply buy tickets since they don’t go more than once a year.

It’s why some level of ticket deals would reach for more members than the specially priced AP does.

Best case would be to have both…but maybe that is why the DVC AP has always been the option…they know the ticket discounts would cost them a lot more in lost revenue than the Sorcerer Pass does.

I still believe that there are a lot fewer DVC owners who actually buy APs than those that simply buy tickets since they don’t go more than once a year.

It's a shame we'll never see those numbers, because I suspect just the opposite and that those two numbers are a lot closer than you do. A lot closer. I suspect that anyone that has ever added on past the initial buy-in requirements at the time quickly starts falling towards the AP category and that there are a lot more members past the initial buy-in category than you think. I guess technically, that information is actually out there if someone complied it, but we still wouldn't know how many of each 'category' actually bought what ticket.

I fully agree that there's a need and a market for both, and have been amazed over the years that there wasn't a day offering for DVC members beyond the occasional, sometimes limited, bone they throw out there every few years or so. An 'always available' day ticket offering is certainly needed. On that we agree.

They could potentially trim a few things on the edges like closing one of the 3 elevators on TOT and only loading one platform on POTC. How often does that happen? I dunno.
When we were there in March 2022 they did close 1 bank of two elevators to work on the other 2 at TOT which did allow the ride to stay open during the maintenance period. We had long lines even with the lightning lane but at least it was rideable.

That's the boat we are in. We are Magic Key holders, but never invested in AP's in WDW. One big reason is we use CM comps for probably 50% of our admission days, but even though we average about 12 nights per year at WDW, we only do maybe 7 or 8 park days (we'll maybe do 3 or 4 park days in each of two 6-night trips). The break-even point for a $970 Sorcerer Pass is right on the cusp of making sense. I will say, if they DO come back, I'll probably get some just because. I would also be tempted by something like a 10-day "punch-card" type admission media, or a resort-stay only pass, being SoCal residents.

The thing is it really doesn't take a whole lot of perks or extras to make DVC members & AP holders happy & to make them feel somewhat special. And it doesn't need to cost them a lot. DVC in general I think are ecstatic about the extended evening hours for deluxe guests at MK & EP. Magnets - good grief look how many people go bonkers over special magnets for AP or DVC - people freaking steal them from cars. OH and remember the DVC & AP sliders they sent out for a short time for the magic bands?! They're like gold on the resale market. I mean it really doesn't take THAT MUCH to make people happy. We'll take any old bone. Remember in the not TOO distant past they made APs good for 13 months instead of 12 months!? That was HUGE news for many of us!! We were all over that one. Special entrance line for AP - hey it makes one feel special even if it IS just as slow as the regular lines. I do think they should resume AP sales for at LEAST DVC members OR as an alternative offer a discounted length of stay tix program. That stuff goes so far towards "good will" they're just cutting their noses off if they don't come up with something every once in awhile. I don't get why they're SOOO freaking stingy with these little things any more....like someone else said - Genie+ is almost like they're printing money with the way they're price gouging on it. I'm sure some of that profit could afford to be reallocated....

Just sell. DVC will still be there if they decided to "value" DVC. I wouldn't hold my breath for that one.

The world is full of wonderful places to vacation, and most of them cost less than Disney. You are only tied to DVC because of your decisions, and you can make new ones.
If we get to a point where we don’t want to go to the Disney parks or central Florida, we will. Right now, I’m fine using my points to visit the giraffes at AKL, and the marsh at Hilton Head. Then we’ll probably visit Univeral for a few years. If I must have my Disney fix, I‘ll figure out the rules for day tix and have a big trip .. maybe even bring the RV down.

I’m not at the point yet where I’m willing to say that I’ll never go to Disney again. For me, if we sell DVC I am done. I wouldn’t buy back in again at today’s prices, and I refuse to pay their hotel prices and then also pay to park. We’ll just take a break for a bit.

No, they didn't. It's a hyperbolic "paraphrasing" of what was said.
I'd argue it's not far off. The actual quote was in direct response to questions about why there were not more perks, and they said "The foundation is the savings on lodging." They didn't address anything about other discounts in any way while responding to the benefits and perks question.

I'd argue it's not far off. The actual quote was in direct response to questions about why there were not more perks, and they said "The foundation is the savings on lodging." They didn't address anything about other discounts in any way while responding to the benefits and perks question.
I understand, and may not disagree regarding the underlying message that was sent, but even "not far off" isn't what was said (and the question was "did they actually say that"), and is paraphrasing.

The thing is it really doesn't take a whole lot of perks or extras to make DVC members & AP holders happy & to make them feel somewhat special. And it doesn't need to cost them a lot. DVC in general I think are ecstatic about the extended evening hours for deluxe guests at MK & EP. Magnets - good grief look how many people go bonkers over special magnets for AP or DVC - people freaking steal them from cars. OH and remember the DVC & AP sliders they sent out for a short time for the magic bands?! They're like gold on the resale market. I mean it really doesn't take THAT MUCH to make people happy.

A few new / recurring member perks from the last decade:

2012: 10% merchandise discount introduced
2012: New fantasyland member preview
2014: DL BTMR reopening preview
2015: DVC members given access to Gold AP
2015: Beach Bash debuts at Waterparks (4 nights)
2016: Merchandise discount increased to 20%
2016: Beach Bash / Moonlight Magic (10 nights)
2016: Epcot lounge opens
2016: 25% off tickets for Disney After Hours
2017: Pandora attraction preview
2017: Moonlight Magic (11 nights)
2017: Dining discounts expanded from approx 40 select locations at WDW to nearly all table service
2018: Moonlight Magic (14 nights)
2019: 20% savings on DVC merchandise at ShopDisney
2019: Moonlight Magic (13 nights)
2019: Free member magnets distributed in DisneyFiles
2020: Moonlight Magic (13 nights announced)
2021: Remy's Ratatouille Adventure preview
2021: Buy 4 days, get 2 free ticket offer
2022: Disney Wish charter voyage
2022: GOTG Cosmic Rewind preview
2022: Moonlight Magic (12 nights)
2022: Halloween Meet & Treat (4 dates)
2023: Disneyland member lounge expected
2023: Moonlight Magic (1 date announced)

And that doesn't include limited time bonus merchandise discounts, exclusive fireworks viewing, photo spots and early entry which have been offered at MVMCP and MNSSHP, Extended Evening Hours, free movie previews, celebrity appearances, annual member cruises, member merchandise, member dessert parties and dining events and a lot of other smaller things.

Honest question: what are these hypothetical low-cost perks and extras that will suddenly make most members feel fulfilled?

2017: Dining discounts expanded from approx 40 select locations at WDW to nearly all table service

And that doesn't include limited time bonus merchandise discounts, exclusive fireworks viewing, photo spots and early entry which have been offered at MVMCP and MNSSHP, Extended Evening Hours, free movie previews, celebrity appearances, annual member cruises, member merchandise, member dessert parties and dining events and a lot of other smaller things.

Honest question: what are these hypothetical low-cost perks and extras that will suddenly make most members feel fulfilled?
Thanks for the list Tim.

Imo, there are some large holes in that list.

The more precise quote was about DVC existing for accommodation discounts, and it was a direct response to member questions about why there are not more perks.

Which of course is true. When we bought there were a few dining discounts, nothing for any tickets. We bought to be able to have a two bedroom at a discount. We did not buy annual passes each year we went because it did not save us money for when we wanted to return.
I think there are more DVC that don't buy APs than do. I also think the most APs are sold to locals who don't stay at the resorts or spend much money on souvenirs or meals.
I think Disney would rather have the captive guest, staying at a Disney hotel, and buying expensive meals and souvenirs. Even if that guest only stays once and another similar guest takes their place. If attendance drops off, then they might come back.
The thing is there might be reasons for DVC to offer a ticket perk, at this time I am not sure there is a reason for Disney parks and resorts to offer it.

It's a shame we'll never see those numbers, because I suspect just the opposite and that those two numbers are a lot closer than you do. A lot closer. I suspect that anyone that has ever added on past the initial buy-in requirements at the time quickly starts falling towards the AP category and that there are a lot more members past the initial buy-in category than you think. I guess technically, that information is actually out there if someone complied it, but we still wouldn't know how many of each 'category' actually bought what ticket.

I fully agree that there's a need and a market for both, and have been amazed over the years that there wasn't a day offering for DVC members beyond the occasional, sometimes limited, bone they throw out there every few years or so. An 'always available' day ticket offering is certainly needed. On that we agree.

prior to Covid, someone on here posted a figure from DVC of 13%.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/ap-holder-poll.477309/

I do not recall where DVC posted that. We’ve had polls on here closer to 30% or so prior to covid. Either way, it was not a very high number.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter