Any luck requesting a private table for dining?

We are a family of 3 and have sailed concierge and non-concierge. We always request a private table and it's always been granted. I think they try as best they can to accommodate this request as dining with strangers can make or break an enjoyable evening, IMHO. My DS and I were on the Magic once when we ran into some good friends who we didn't know were going to be on our cruise. After the first night, they asked us if they could sit with us because they did not enjoy the people they were paired with for dinner. We all spoke to guest services and the request was granted immediately. They seem to have a lot of flexibility with table arrangements in the MDR, so I would not hesitate to make your request.

Hi All:

We are going on our 3rd DC in Jan 2020. There are 3 of us: myself, my husband, and my soon-to-be 8yo son. On our 1st cruise, we were seated at a 6-top and were less than thrilled with our dining companions. Our 2nd cruise we were concierge, so we automatically had a private table.

I read somewhere (probably here lol) that you can contact DCL and request a private table - for a party of 3, has anyone had any luck with that? Also, should we request the coveted teacup table at EG or is that a longshot?

Thanks in advance all!! :-)

We have always been lucky but I heard being on the second seating really helps. (That being said, we got lucky on First seating as well).

To each his own. I personally don't think enjoying Disney cruises is unique enough to make other people who also enjoy them "like-minded". Just reading & posting on these boards has shown me how completely different people with similar vacation preferences can be...

I'm an introvert and look forward to relaxing and talking with family at dinner. I really don't want to have to spend it making small talk with strangers who I will never see again after the cruise.

I hope DCL takes note of all of the private table requests as they design their new ships. It would be nice if that could be an automatic option rather than something you have to beg for.

If you're an introvert I can totally see what you mean.
I'm indifferent to human interaction - I don't seek it but also don't reject it.

What I totally agree with you on is the fact that Disney forces you to accept whatever seat assignment you get.
I'm pissed every cruise we get 1st dining. I absolutely hate it and if I'm paying thousand$ I should be able to chose the rotation and table I want.

I've written on the suggestion cards at the end that gold members should be able to choose their rotation

What I totally agree with you on is the fact that Disney forces you to accept whatever seat assignment you get.
I'm pissed every cruise we get 1st dining. I absolutely hate it and if I'm paying thousand$ I should be able to chose the rotation and table I want.

I've written on the suggestion cards at the end that gold members should be able to choose their rotation

I'm confused. First seating is usually the one that fills up first. Most people trying to switch are switching from second to first seating so if you want second seating, it should be an easy change. But first or second seating has nothing to do with the rotation. Have you called and requested a certain rotation and not received it? I've only requested a certain rotation once and my request was granted. I asked to be wait listed to switch from second seating to first twice and was switched once. Everytime I've wanted second seating, I was able to book it with no issue. And now I've requested a private table once and the request was granted.

Curious where is dining change located? We’re at first seating so I think my request to have a private table might not be accommodated. But since this was brought up, I’m hoping I could check. Thanks!

Curious where is dining change located? We’re at first seating so I think my request to have a private table might not be accommodated. But since this was brought up, I’m hoping I could check. Thanks!

The location varies by ship and sometimes from cruise to cruise. It will be listed in the Navigator you get on embarkation day. On the Magic last month, it was in the Promenade Lounge. Often times, it will be in one of the MDRs.

Any time we sailed non-concierge and requested a private table, we've received it; we prefer late dining, though, so maybe that increased our chances. In any case, MDR tables are often so close together that you might as well be table mates with your neighbors. Luckily, we have always had nice neighbors. :)

We requested a private table on our first 2 cruises and it was granted, once on the second seating and once on the first.

To each his own. I personally don't think enjoying Disney cruises is unique enough to make other people who also enjoy them "like-minded". Just reading & posting on these boards has shown me how completely different people with similar vacation preferences can be...

I'm an introvert and look forward to relaxing and talking with family at dinner. I really don't want to have to spend it making small talk with strangers who I will never see again after the cruise.

I hope DCL takes note of all of the private table requests as they design their new ships. It would be nice if that could be an automatic option rather than something you have to beg for.

I completely agree with you. I am an introvert by nature. I work in a field where I need to be "outgoing" all day long. It is exhausting! When I go on vacation, I don't want to have to be "on". Making small talk exhausts me. Not to mention the fact that my boys are 15 and 12. How many more vacations do we have with them? I want to be able to interact as a family! I shouldn't be forced into sitting with others. 60-90 minutes a day of my cruise seems like quite bit if you ask me!

I just figured it was based on the ship. I have a family of 4. On the Dream I've never been given a private table. My last cruise was on the Magic and they gave us one without me requesting it

I'm confused. First seating is usually the one that fills up first. Most people trying to switch are switching from second to first seating so if you want second seating, it should be an easy change. But first or second seating has nothing to do with the rotation. Have you called and requested a certain rotation and not received it? I've only requested a certain rotation once and my request was granted. I asked to be wait listed to switch from second seating to first twice and was switched once. Everytime I've wanted second seating, I was able to book it with no issue. And now I've requested a private table once and the request was granted.

yeah. typo, my bad
I meant we always get 2nd seating, which I hate and always have to fight to get 1st seating.
we've only been assigned 1st sitting on our first cruise when our DD(now13) was 4yo.
On every other of our next 7 cruises we've been assigned 2nd and have I've requested change to 1st every time via email and phone.
I've only been able to be changed on two and that was when we boarded real early and headed straight to the place where they try to accommodate your dining requests.

Huge inconvenience from DCL imo.

This thread got me thinking, and instead of opening a new one, I'll ask:

- Do platinums get 1st seating always regardless of time of booking?
- If not, do platinums have a bigger chance to get moved to a different seating when requested?

If yes on any of the 2, we might do a short 4 night soon to get to that level. Only need one more.

This thread got me thinking, and instead of opening a new one, I'll ask:

- Do platinums get 1st seating always regardless of time of booking?
- If not, do platinums have a bigger chance to get moved to a different seating when requested?

If yes on any of the 2, we might do a short 4 night soon to get to that level. Only need one more.

OT, but we'll be on the 11 Fantasy in July as well.

Hi All:

We are going on our 3rd DC in Jan 2020. There are 3 of us: myself, my husband, and my soon-to-be 8yo son. On our 1st cruise, we were seated at a 6-top and were less than thrilled with our dining companions. Our 2nd cruise we were concierge, so we automatically had a private table.

I read somewhere (probably here lol) that you can contact DCL and request a private table - for a party of 3, has anyone had any luck with that? Also, should we request the coveted teacup table at EG or is that a longshot?

Thanks in advance all!! :-)
We used to request a private table for the 3 of us after a bad experience with a shared table. After a few cruises though, we decided to let fate match us up again with another family and about 10 cruises ago we got matched up with another family that also was from central Florida and also had a DD the same age as ours (their birthdays are 1 day apart). We most definitely hit it off and had a great time with them.

They have become our best cruise friends and we have 3 upcoming cruises with them in the next year. (we have taken 4 with them so far). We both cruise in concierge now and always split a cabana. We sit together at dinner and our girls love sitting together at the show each night.

I am not saying everyone will make cruise friends on board but we definitely did and it all started with a random seating assignment one spring cruise on the Wonder a couple of years ago.

We have requested a private table 5 times - all second seating and have been granted it 3 out of the 5 times. One of the times we didn't get it, we were able to switch after the first night. It is usually 2 of us and sometimes 3 if we take our niece or nephew.
We just want to talk to our family during vacation - people do their own things during the day, but we always meet up for dinner. Having to talk to strangers instead of family doesn't work for us. Others love it, and when I cruised as a kid, we loved it; but now as we are older we don't want to deal with it :)
Disney will work with you as best as possible to make switches on the cruise ship. They want you to be happy!

OT, but we'll be on the 11 Fantasy in July as well.

Cool! I'm soo looking fwd to it. The ports of call are amazing... can't wait.
If you want to meet while onboard, dm me & we can go for a drink at meridian or coffee at cove's.. it'll be me, DW, DD13 and DMIL70 :S
Happy cruisin'

My sister and I have gone on two Disney cruises (both on the Fantasy) and had our private table request honored both times; one was late dining & one early dining. Called after booking and had request added to our reservation. :goodvibes

My first Disney cruise was over Christmas and I asked for a private table for two and got it. The next two were in Concierge so we automatically got it. Our next cruise I've requested a private table again. I've read to check when you get on the ship if the request was granted and if not to see if they can accommodate you.

Requested table for 2 on dream last April 2018 for late seating and the wish was granted. We booked the cruise just a few weeks out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter