Any luck requesting a private table for dining?

Lia917

Earning My Ears
Hi All:

We are going on our 3rd DC in Jan 2020. There are 3 of us: myself, my husband, and my soon-to-be 8yo son. On our 1st cruise, we were seated at a 6-top and were less than thrilled with our dining companions. Our 2nd cruise we were concierge, so we automatically had a private table.

I read somewhere (probably here lol) that you can contact DCL and request a private table - for a party of 3, has anyone had any luck with that? Also, should we request the coveted teacup table at EG or is that a longshot?

Thanks in advance all!! :-)

It's really hit or miss when it comes to snagging that private table. Do go ahead and call DCL to add the request. Once you board the ship, one of the restaurants will have an area allowing guests to come to arrange special dining needs (check the navigator) and so forth. This is where you can verify you indeed have the private table. I feel it also shows how much you really want to get that private table pirate:.

I enjoy meeting new people but it can still be awkward at times. I had a not-so-pleasant experience so I prefer the private table as well. I've requested it twice and was granted it once so I'm 50/50 at this point. For my upcoming cruise, I also requested a private table. 2nd dining also can help your chances as it is not as crowded. It's still the luck of the draw as both requests I made were for second seating. I got it once but not the other time. We'll see what happens for my upcoming cruise.

Of course, it's only a request and there are no guarantees. It will still be a great cruise either way!

Last edited:
I requested a private table for just my daughter and me on our last cruise and we received it. I called just about 3 weeks before the cruise to submit the request. My daughter is on the autism spectrum. We've always gone along with a shared table on prior cruises, but it was stressful for me as I worried about how our tablemates would react to my daughter, and stressful for my daughter as she struggled to make conversation and interact with people she didn't know. I didn't realize on our earliest cruises that I could request a private table, and this was the first time I tried it. These were the most relaxed meals we've ever had on a cruise. I'm certain I will make the request on all future cruises.

Last edited:
Funny, we got a private table for 12 of us during the last cruise. That is probably the limit then they split your group up. Most importantly was getting early seating that we got after being on the waitlist and a couple of calls/chats from me (of course I take all the credit). Cruise on...

I have always just called and asked, we have gotten one every time.
They will mark it on your reservation and tell you its just a request, no guarantees.

Good Luck.

We always request a private table and have never not received it. We always just call in advance and have it noted on the reservation.

My Mom is visually impaired and if we are not travelling with friends, we request a table for 2 as it is just easier for my Mom. My travel agent contacts DCL with my request and I have never not had our request honoured. I should note that we always select late dining, which usually is not always full.

We did this last year on our 3 day Fantasy cruise. The tables may not have been in the best spots (right by the kitchen entrance at AP) but I didn't care; my husband can talk anyone's ear off but I am not comfortable with it. On our 2016 cruise it was me, DH and DS (then 17) and we were with a dad with two teen daughters. Again, DH and DS have no problems, but for me it is awkward and uncomfortable.
I think we got finished faster as a couple as well. I have requested it for our June Dream cruise and will do so again for our 2020 cruise on the Fantasy.

We have always had this request granted, and the last three cruises we have been a party of 3.

Funny, we got a private table for 12 of us during the last cruise. That is probably the limit then they split your group up. Most importantly was getting early seating that we got after being on the waitlist and a couple of calls/chats from me (of course I take all the credit). Cruise on...
Actually we saw a table for 14 on the most recent WBPC cruise on the Wonder, so a group larger than 12 is certainly possible.

After sitting with other couples at 6-top tables for a number of cruises, we first requested our own table for two starting with the WBTA on the Magic in 2016. Since then, we have been successful 9 out of 10 cruises. It may have helped our success rate that most of these have been on itineraries where the ships were not at full passenger capacity, although all staterooms were full, including Transatlantic and Panama Canal itineraries. The cruise where we were not at our own table was an Western Caribbean on the Fantasy that was absolutely packed with passengers. On a second Fantasy cruise, we were originally assigned to a table for four, but the other two passengers requested to move to a table for two on departure day, and we ended up alone at our assigned table when their request was granted.

Reading this thread I'm surprised at how many requests for a private table were granted. - And how often ppl request it.

We've never requested one. - I'd rather focus on getting 1st dining than a private table (I really dislike 2nd seating - it messes up my dining/fitness routine big time)
The way I see it is, it's 60-90 minutes a day you get to spend with generally like-minded ppl (DCL being the common denominator) while eating good food.

We always request a private table (typically for 2 people, twice for 3 and once for 4) and have always gotten it. We do always check once we board, but we've always already had it.

We were successful in requesting a private table, a party of 4.
I'm wondering how you find out if your request was not granted (besides walking in and seeing a larger table)! That could be awkward.

We were successful in requesting a private table, a party of 4.
I'm wondering how you find out if your request was not granted (besides walking in and seeing a larger table)! That could be awkward.

They do not notify you, but I suggest checking as soon as you get on board as this is the only way of knowing for sure. My second cruise is when I had requested the private table but it was not granted. They were already at the table so we said hello/introduced ourselves and made the best of it. It's not a huge deal and like I said ...don't let it ruin your cruise. They turned out to be a lovely couple on their honeymoon and we enjoyed their company.

During my first cruise we sat with a couple and the one person had a gluten allergy and her husband was a vegan so i felt very awkward eating in front of them. I felt embarrassed to ask for double appetizers and double entrees as I tend to not order a dessert. For the second cruise (even though we were not given a private table) the gentleman was a big guy and a carnivore so we both ordered 2 entrees and 2 appetizers. It was a good time!

We are a party of 3 and have requested and gotten our own table on all 3 of our cruises. It’s possible it helped that we prefer late dining. On Magic and Wonder we were far away from other tables and it felt very private. On the Dream we were very close to one other table and they seemed like a perfectly nice family, but it was nice not having to make conversation with strangers (something I don’t enjoy, on or off a ship). It was funny because they were from the same area and had 2 daughters, and we have 1. It made me wonder if we hadn’t requested our own table if they would have just combined our tables into an 8 top.

Hi All:

We are going on our 3rd DC in Jan 2020. There are 3 of us: myself, my husband, and my soon-to-be 8yo son. On our 1st cruise, we were seated at a 6-top and were less than thrilled with our dining companions. Our 2nd cruise we were concierge, so we automatically had a private table.

I read somewhere (probably here lol) that you can contact DCL and request a private table - for a party of 3, has anyone had any luck with that? Also, should we request the coveted teacup table at EG or is that a longshot?

Thanks in advance all!! :-)
Call DCL before the cruise and request it. Upon boarding, go to Dining Changes to see if the request was fulfilled. We usually sail as a party of two, and out of 5 cruises & advance requests, it was fulfilled 4 times before I arrived at Dining Changes. The 1 time it had not been fulfilled, Dining Changes did so, but grudgingly. We always eat at 2nd seating, btw.

I think also requesting a teacup table is pushing it a bit. The important thing is that you get your own table. That's a special request to make of them already.

We've never requested one...The way I see it is, it's 60-90 minutes a day you get to spend with generally like-minded ppl (DCL being the common denominator) while eating good food.
To each his own. I personally don't think enjoying Disney cruises is unique enough to make other people who also enjoy them "like-minded". Just reading & posting on these boards has shown me how completely different people with similar vacation preferences can be...

I'm an introvert and look forward to relaxing and talking with family at dinner. I really don't want to have to spend it making small talk with strangers who I will never see again after the cruise.

I hope DCL takes note of all of the private table requests as they design their new ships. It would be nice if that could be an automatic option rather than something you have to beg for.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter