Any DVC empty nesters out there?

We were never able to consider DVC ownership until we were empty nesters and had the money to purchase and the time to use it. We love the change it's made to our vacationing style. No more park commandos, we now take the time to really relax and enjoy our time away from work and home concerns.

My DH and I are seriously considering DVC ownership. We love Disney, not just the parks, but we love the resorts, relaxing at the pools or in the bar, and we are big foodies and LOVE the restaurants.

TIA for you comments!

It's just the wife and I on 26 trips to Disney over just the past 6 years - each trip at least a week. I enjoy the resorts and the dining and while we visit the parks, we don't spend much time in them each day and rarely go on attractions.

We are, hence moving to the little spot on the lake below.

But still foresee never having enough points. The kids even in their 20's just can't wait to get back as often as possible.

I think we will be doing some off peak trips finally, and an occasional just the 2 of us though.

But DVC (since 2000) is still the best for us-even as empty nesters.

We are empty nesters now that both kids are in college. They still love Disney and DVC, though. So we use points to go after Christmas, as a family, and then my husband and I go alone other times. We love it either way.:thumbsup2. So glad we bought when we did, and really really wish we had bought earlier.

My wife and I become DVC members in 2011. We have been married for 19 years and have no kids, we enjoy our times at the resorts pools and bars and the parks. We enjoy finding new fine dinning around the world. We are planning our 20th at Aulani. Can't wait.

My DH and I go down 3-4 times a year. Most of our trips are just the two of us and we love it! I have 2 older sons that are married and even though they like Disney, they don't LOVE it like we do so they only want to go every other year! Our youngest is in college and only wants to go if his older brothers go so he has someone to ride all the rides with. So we make 1 big family trip every other year and the rest of the time we go alone and have a blast!! This will all change when we finally become grandparents but that is probably several years away. In the meantime, we LOVE Disney and our DVC!!

So great to hear! I too agree that it would be good for us after all these years of focusing on raising the 2 DD's to allow us to spend some wonderful time together, doing what we would like at our own pace. I am surprised to hear there are very many couples without children staying at DVC. I love it! I am sure my non-Disney friends and family would absolutely not understand this decision, but hey, you gotta live your own life!

My in-laws have a vacation home at the coast and one set of great-grand kids calls them Grandma and Grandpa Ocean. I told my DH that if we are blessed with grandchildren some day I want to be Grandma and Grandpa Disney :-).

We purchased our first DVC points long after all of our children were grown. In fact, it was because our children were grown and lived across the country that prompted us to buy initially. The family joke has been that we had difficulty getting everyone home and together at the same time, but we don't have problems getting them all to Disney. We love the convenience of having plenty of space, activities and great food options when we are together. Our adult children - 33, 30 and 27 along with their spouses seem to have a great time and our grandchildren 10 and 12 love going. This past summer we took 4 generations and stayed for 7 days (ages 10 to 81), there were 12 in our party and the nicest thing is that there was something for everyone. My DH and I manage to take several trips during the year by ourselves and we love the fact that there is always something new to do or see. Our only regret is that we did not purchase DVC points sooner. DVC membership has given us an opportunity to create fabulous memories with our family and have a great time too!

Our kids are now 20 and 18. We purchased in 2004....however, since the beginning we have taken two trips a year...one with kids and one without. We have thoroughly enjoyed both types of vacations and so feel certain that we will still enjoy DVC when the empty nest thing starts....a little bit to wait still.

In the early years we travelled with good friends and their kids. Now we will have adult trips with just our friends. Someday maybe adult kids and their families. So many different variations to look forward to. I do feel the frequency of trips may decrease for a bit...say one trip a year instead of two....but the trip maybe longer or in larger rooms (bring friends along) since more of our points will be available for each stay.

When we purchased in 1997, we were already empty nesters. We have not had a lack of things to do with DVC! We take 2-3 trips a year to WDW and enjoy not only going as a couple, but also occasionally taking along our adult offspring or other family and friends. We consider our DVC investment to be one of the best decisions we ever made in vacation planning.

I purchased when my kids where small but with the plan that I would use it once they left the house. When our last two left for college we dropped them off and the next day we where on our way to WDW for our first of many tips thoughout the year, We have been able to go to Flower and Garden and the Wine Festival as well as During the holiday season. We have been able to make numerous trips without them and yes we still enjoy all going together but we think going without them is also so much fun.

Enjoy and I would definately purchase again for these times.

Not quite empty nesters yet--youngest DD is 17--but we are almost there and are so looking forward to more trips with just DH and I.

We just got back yesterday from one for the long weekend and it was so enjoyable. We tried some restaurants we had not yet tried, relaxed by the pool, and just enjoyed the Disney atmosphere.

We also spent time noticing how many people we saw without children! So many times people ask me how I can go back so much and I tell them that Disney is not just for kids--there is so much to see and do, other than rides and the parks. Where else can you eat in Italy one night, Morocco the next, and on your way back to your resort, stop for a margarita in Mexico???:love:!!!

I think a large number of DVC members are empty nesters. The ones that aren't will be eventually.:)
:thumbsup2
We are now. We bought 20 years ago when our girls were young. We now just use our membership in different ways.

that is just like us. we bought in 1999, and would go every august, in a 1bdrm. kids were about 10 and 13.
now, DD is 29 (yikes!), and the two of us go every april/may (F&GF), 10-13 days in a BWV studio. its a great "girls only" vaca :)
then, DH & i go every oct, about 10-12 days in a BWV studio for the F&WF. we meet up with friends, have dinner, play mini-golf, etc.

totally different vacations than when the kids were, well...kids ;) now, we relax, read, lay by the pool, do what we want/when we want, don't worry about riding or seeing anything (since we've done just about everything at least once).
as much fun as WDW was when the kids were little, i think we can honestly say that these vacations are much more relaxing. we come home feeling like most ppl would feel after spending a week at the beach, etc - the big difference is that we didn't get bored. there are still many other activities at WDW if we do decide to do them :)

ETA:
the main thing i wish we had done differently would have been to add our kids to the deeds at purchase. it is easier - and cheaper -to do it initially rather than later on.

We purchased in 2011, when our son was a few months shy of 2 years. We didn't purchase for our son and family trips, although those will be great to take. We purchased because my husband and I love disney, and after going to Disney at least once a year for 10 years straight we figured it was about time we bought DVC, we just happen to have a young son at the time. We spend most of our idle time dreaming about our empty-nester trips, and love love love going alone on our anniversary.

We bought in 2000 and our kids will turn 21 and 17 this year. Although we would go to WDW alone, our children have the same passion for the mouse as we do, and always want to go with us. I hope it stays that way.

This is why we bought at SSR as it has many activities on site and close by that appeal to my and my wife now and after the kids grow up (not necessarily leave home). Specifically, SSR has a spa (she) and golf (me) on site, proximity to DTD with the restaurants and entertainment, easy access to I-4 to go off site, THV in addtion to Grand villa for larger family get together. And then there are all the other extras that DVC gives you.

When we bought in we purchased what Mom and Dad enjoyed not necessarily the kids. In a week stay we only visit the theme parks 3 days out of the 7, and enjoy the resort we are staying at as there would be so much that one misses out by just going to the parks.

We are! Our kids are all grown and gone. We use points for ourselves, with friends and other adult family, and a lot of the time for various configurations of kids' families and 9.5 grandkids. I'm sure we would have bought even without grandkids but not as many points.

We are too. We also bought when our children were adults. I had looked at it many times before, and certainly wished we had purchased, but we really couldn't afford to til they were grown.
DH and I went 3 times last year, enjoying a long weekend at F & G and a week at F & W. Then finally we stayed in a 2 BR with youngest DS and DDiL for F & W.
This year we invited DS and DDiL to a week at Vero Beach. They are unable to join us, so we will be in an Ocean View Inn Room and banking points.
We love our trips alone, as well as sharing with our Disney loving son.
Good Luck and Enjoy!

We are, two grown sons and 2 grandchildren. We went in 2000 for our 25th anniversary and have been going each year since. Finally bought DVC points (220) two years ago, added on 100 just last month (both for BCV). And just purchased 125 pts at VGF! We consider it a resort destination for us. Love the grounds, people watching, the pool area, and restaurants.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter