Any DVC empty nesters out there?

SpectroBelle

Earning My Ears
My DH and I are seriously considering DVC ownership. We love Disney, not just the parks, but we love the resorts, relaxing at the pools or in the bar, and we are big foodies and LOVE the restaurants. I feel a little bit weird about it though, because our youngest will be a senior in high school next year and mostly we will be using DVC just for the two of us. When I read about people who own DVC, they almost always seem to buy because of their young kids. I'm curious to hear if anyone bought for their lives after children and how their experience has been. We are looking forward to being able to travel in off season now that we don't have school considerations. We love the Epcot festivals too. And someday we may take grandchildren but that is not our main motivation in buying.

TIA for you comments!

My DH and I are seriously considering DVC ownership. We love Disney, not just the parks, but we love the resorts, relaxing at the pools or in the bar, and we are big foodies and LOVE the restaurants. I feel a little bit weird about it though, because our youngest will be a senior in high school next year and mostly we will be using DVC just for the two of us. When I read about people who own DVC, they almost always seem to buy because of their young kids. I'm curious to hear if anyone bought for their lives after children and how their experience has been. We are looking forward to being able to travel in off season now that we don't have school considerations. We love the Epcot festivals too. And someday we may take grandchildren but that is not our main motivation in buying.

TIA for you comments!

Our son is a Junior in college. We took a F&W trip last year during his fall break that was cancelled because of the hurricane that came through Baton Rouge, but he and a friend joined us for three nights. We've got another F&W planned this year before our PAPs expire. And we haven't told him.

We'd like to do a Flower and Garden trip sometime, too.

We are! Our only is a FR in college. We did not own when she was little. Maybe we bought in 2006?
She does not really like going to WDW. So, DH and I have done many trips w/o her. We love going just the 2 of us. Our DD is a delight and easy to be around but our DVC/WDW trips alone have been awesome!

TIA for you comments!

We bought in 2006 at age 53. Our kids were grown and gone. DVC has been wonderful for us older kids! We love it and have been to WDW around 15 times since we bought and don't plan on slowing down!

Our 'kids' are 31 and 32. We purchased while our daughter was in graduate school and our son was in the Army. We'll get 2, maybe 3 trips in a year. This year; Aulani in February, Saratoga Springs for F&W and Wilderness Lodge for Christmas season. We walk a lot both around the resorts, between resorts and of course at the parks. We're not big foodies but have enjoyed the Sunset Safari with dinner at Jiko and when staying at the Wilderness Lodge it's our tradition to have dinner at Artists Point the night before we leave. Our trips are usually 9-12 days in duration. We purchased for ourselves. Sharing with the immediate family is a side benefit.

We bought in 2009 when our daughter, now 23, was a soph in collage. We almost always go by ourselves and love it. You can do what you want without worrying what the kids want to do or where they are if they are older. Our daughter likes Disney and worked in the collage program last fall(Of course we had to go visit her) but doesn't mind if we go by ourselves as she usually can't get away. Go for it! :banana::banana::banana:

We bought in 2009 at VGC as we are west coasters and love DL. Our kids were 23 and 25 at the time. They've come with us a few trips but most trips are with friends. Our DS and friends are using some points this fall, first trip using points without us.

We have been empty nesters for about 6 years, but decided not to purchase until very recently, primarily to go with our grandchildren, of which we have a 1 year old right now. I plan to keep DVC until my last grandchild is "too old" to go with their grandparents to Disney. That should keep us as owners for quite a while. After that, we'll either keep it exclusively for our own trips, or sell it and move down to Orlando or buy a vacation home. Of course our plans may change several times by then. :)

TIA for you comments!

We purchased in 2002, when both our sons were in college. The following year, we used a 2 BR for our oldest son's graduation trip. Now we use it for just the reasons you described-off season trips, the festivals (and our anniversary every year), and soon we hope to take our grandchildren.

We bought in 2004 when all 3 of the kids had graduated from HS. We often go just the two of us, but also lend points to adult kids, and plan big family trips, and now have a granddaughter who will be two and four months on her second trip to WDW in October! It's a lot of fun for us. The older kids keep telling us to go to Vegas, but we don't want to.

We also have a seasonal trailer in NH and will cruise in Alaska next summer, so it's not like our only vacations are in WDW.

I think a large number of DVC members are empty nesters. The ones that aren't will be eventually.:) We wanted into DVC for years but it just didn't seem feasible until the kids got out of college. Adult DDs are welcome to go with us any time we travel to WDW, and we now have a couple of granddaughters that will be going when they get a little older. We notice quite a large number of people without kids when we stay at DVC resorts. As long as you are interested in Disney, you won't regret buying DVC.:earsboy:

don't forget the singles (me) and couples w/o kids - DVC has both. probably more than you think.

it is great - now do share mind with my brother's family who love Disney as much or even more than I do.

but even w/o them would have brought and kept DVC - it is great for families or couples or even solo.

We are.....we actually bought our first contract when our oldest was 20 and our youngest was 12. But, added on about three years later.....and while we haven't seriously discussed it yet.....after seeing the pictures of VGF.....just may consider a small add on there. Our kids are all adults now and our youngest son(now 24) did the Disney College Program a few years ago and spent the spring semester working/living at Disney. It's been a few years since we've all traveled to WDW together, however, DH and I love our alone trips. As you said, we enjoy not only the parks, but, the resorts, restaurants, bars, etc. also.
This past year we already had a January, 2013 trip planned to Disneyland/VGC with our 11 yr old grandson and our youngest son, but, as Fall 2012 rolled around....I was really missing my WDW trip for the year and managed to snag great airfare for mid December....we had the points....so why not!! The two of us spent three great days/nights just hanging around the Kidani Village pool, visiting other resorts to check out the holiday decorations, stopping to check out the new Art of Animation Resort....not even visiting a park at all. We watched MK fireworks from the beach at the Poly and had a drink from the pool bar, we went to see/visit/hearBob Jackson at the River Roost/Port Orleans Riverside.
When the oldest got married almost two years ago.......guess what we gave he and his wife as a wedding gift? We bought them their first DVC contract! They used it for the first time this past January and had a great, relaxing adult trip. I'm quite sure they will be using it many, many more times in the future since they've recently told us they're expecting twins in mid December! They'll just have to wait awhile until they experience that adult only trip again!

TIA for you comments!

We will officially be empty nesters come September when our youngest goes off to college, we have two daughters, one just finished her first year of college and the other is graduating from high school next week. We bought into DVC last year, 250 points at Beach Club. I had wanted to buy in years ago but couldn't get the hubby on board. I finally just told him that I was doing it because life is too short and it was something I really wanted to do. We have stayed at BCV a few times but will have our first official trip "home" in 12 days. We have another trip booked for a week in December. I already wish we bought more points. We plan to use out membership with and without our children and of course someday with grandchildren! If you love Disney then I say go for it! I'm so glad we did!

TIA for you comments!

We are now. We bought 20 years ago when our girls were young. We now just use our membership in different ways. Last week we were at OKW w/ both girls, one son in law, and 2 grand kiddos; in December, it will just be the two of us at OKW. They are different but equally fun vacations. When it's just us, we don't spend much time in the parks, but we do enjoy the restaurants on propety. We also have a vacation home on Hilton Head and frequently drive from there for just a couple of nights. We just use our membership differently now, but I sure wouldn't give it up!

TIA for you comments!

We bought in 2008 and it is just me and my DH (children are 24 & 28 now). We have taken trips by ourselves, with our friends and next year we hope to take our nieces. We like to travel in September when the crowds are less. Our trip this September will be to celebrate our 30th Anniversary :love:

We even just added a 2nd contract and are considering a third. It doesn't matter how old or young you are Disney is fun for everyone.

My parents are. They bought in 1999 while I was a Sr. in college. We added our names to their contracts and added on ourselves in 2010 and 2011. Now looking for another add-on.

I bought DVC in 1995 at the young age of 47. I was single, never married, at the time. The ultimate empty nester. When I bought it was so I could visit WDW more frequently and cheaply. Since then (actually, only a couple of years later) I got married to a wonderful woman that I met at WDW and kind of inherited two grown children and 3 grand-children.

We've enjoyed DVC with them and without them. In fact, most of our WDW trips are just the two of us. We hit the parks when the spirit moves us. Wander around holding hands. Stop for a beverage at our favorite spots. Have a nice meal. Occasionally we ride an attraction.

TIA for you comments!

Yes, we are empty nesters, although one is currently revisiting the nest while changing careers. Stuff happens! We had made 20 trips to WDW over the years, and also had our oldest son in the Disney College program, an Internship, and gainful employment by Disney for a few years after that. Then we bought our DVC. Happy we took the plunge, can't wait to share with our grandchildren when they (God willing) come along.

TIA for you comments!

We are :yay: We made our DVC original purchase 2 yrs ago and added on again the end of last year. Our "kids" are 29 and 31 and each has a small child. We are hoping within the next year to treat our grandchildren and parents to a trip to visit with Mickey (for my big 60th birthday:scared1::scared1:..eeek!)
My husband had to be talked into our first contract. Now he says he "must go 2 times a year" and we feel so very fortunate to have enough points to do so. It has been the BEST thing we have done for each other as a couple. We have never been very good at taking the time to actually have regular vacations. Now we enjoy planning our trips months in advance!:cheer2::cheer2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter