Another TCD Trip Report!! With Sanjaya, Tom Cruise, Valentine's Day, and More!

A couple of pictures from a couple of years ago, pre-construction (we were in 602 with the old TT):
602-1.jpg

Looking down the loop
602-6.jpg

And my girls wanted to see themselves...:banana:
602-2.jpg

Okay I just looked at DisneyDadInOhio's photos and while I realize that's the old photos- that's not what I was hoping for. ARe they all that close to one another in all the loops? I've walked around in FW before- although admittedly mostly just from marina to campfire area and I never thought they were all that close together without vegetation for privacy/etc. (and no- big tall thin TRUNKS of trees is not my idea of vegetation for privacy LOL)

The 600 loop is a unique situation. This is the first and maybe only loop that has been expanded with the new Fort renovations.

I am not sure what criteria led you to pick the 600 loop. Some folks like it for its location. It is close to the marina, and to the Meadow Trading Post, as well as the campfire. But, I personally would choose the 500 or 800 loop over the 600 loop. That being said, I fully intend to at some point request one of the new 600 loop sites. I think it will be cool to stay right there in a brand new site-steps away from the Trading Post.

The loop does look barren now, but you can expect that some landscaping will be added. As for your concern about being next to somebody with no vegetation for privacy, that situation, unfortunately, currently exists at many sites on many loops. But, definitely on some loops more than others.

What is it that you are looking for in a camp site? Location? Space? Privacy? Tell me what is important to you, and I will be happy to give you my $.02.

TCD

Okay thanks- what we were looking for was:
location- pretty much close to Marina but not in the pet loops- we're not bringing our pet (since we're crusiing after this week at WDW- otherwise we'd bring our Tramp!) and we figured we'd rather avoid any chances of howling dogs- we already have one of those at our neighbor's house behind us driving us bonkers 24/7 for the past 2yrs since we bought this home. HOWEVER, it's come to our attention that pretty much all the premium loops can have pets and there are pictures of the pet thingies at loop 600 anyway. So anyway- we figured somewhere between marina and campfire area... because those are the two things we'll be using the most. But honestly at this point (after choosing 600 as first choice) I'm thinking maybe marina not so much... we're only going to MK once or twice on this trip, we won't be using the marina to go to other resorts to eat or whatnot, we only plan on doing HDDMR once and NOT eating at Trails End- and apparently it's not going to be feasible to go there for soda refills anyway- might as well bring lots of sodas in our TT.

SO... with that said- at this point location I guess doesn't really matter on the points I thought it would- so now what matters is (in this order I suppose) -close to the pool (once refurbed which it should be by the time we go), closer to comfort station (for bathrooms and washing clothes), preferably near-ish a bus station so we can use that to get to marina/etc. the few times needed, closer to campfire might be nice too... but we would like some privacy. I'm not sure SPACE is really all that necessary except for the privacy issue. I mean we don't plan on tenting, we don't even plan on doing an outdoor room or anything. So it will just be our TT and our vehicle really... maybe some foldable chairs out by the picnic table- that sort of thing but nothing that takes a lot of space. As far as privacy I don't expect to be miles away from others (LOL) but not right next to someone else (without any real vegetation to seperate us) would be nice. We just want to feel like we're really 'camping" in the tt- not just in a parking lot type area. We want some wildnerness around us at fort WILDERNESS, KWIM? Is that possible at FW? Let me know what you think about what I've said and based on that what loop you'd pick as your first choice- if you could choose? LOL

BBB - there is only one loop that I know of that might fit your hopes - and that would be the 1100 loop. We were lucky enough to get site 1101 last year, and were amazed at how much space there was in between some of the sites. You could literally fit a couple of additional sites on one side of 1101, and at least one site on the other side. FlaFortCampster was kind enough to supply a pic or two of this site during his last trip to the Fort.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2069814&page=3

This may be more of what you're looking for..??? I believe that there are 24 sites within this loop, and it sure seemed that "most" of them had more space in between than some of the other loops (especially on the inside of the loop). Granted, I have not "looped" every loop that there is, so I can only pass along our own personal experiences..HTH

PS - please dont tell anyone about this loop, it's our little secret..;)

A couple of pictures from a couple of years ago, pre-construction (we were in 602 with the old TT):

Thanks for posting those photos! You definitely would not recognize site 602 at the moment!

Okay I just looked at DisneyDadInOhio's photos and while I realize that's the old photos- that's not what I was hoping for. ARe they all that close to one another in all the loops?

Okay thanks- what we were looking for was:
location- pretty much close to Marina but not in the pet loops- we're not bringing our pet (since we're crusiing after this week at WDW- otherwise we'd bring our Tramp!) and we figured we'd rather avoid any chances of howling dogs- we already have one of those at our neighbor's house behind us driving us bonkers 24/7 for the past 2yrs since we bought this home. HOWEVER, it's come to our attention that pretty much all the premium loops can have pets and there are pictures of the pet thingies at loop 600 anyway. So anyway- we figured somewhere between marina and campfire area... because those are the two things we'll be using the most. But honestly at this point (after choosing 600 as first choice) I'm thinking maybe marina not so much... we're only going to MK once or twice on this trip, we won't be using the marina to go to other resorts to eat or whatnot, we only plan on doing HDDMR once and NOT eating at Trails End- and apparently it's not going to be feasible to go there for soda refills anyway- might as well bring lots of sodas in our TT.

SO... with that said- at this point location I guess doesn't really matter on the points I thought it would- so now what matters is (in this order I suppose) -close to the pool (once refurbed which it should be by the time we go), closer to comfort station (for bathrooms and washing clothes), preferably near-ish a bus station so we can use that to get to marina/etc. the few times needed, closer to campfire might be nice too... but we would like some privacy. I'm not sure SPACE is really all that necessary except for the privacy issue. I mean we don't plan on tenting, we don't even plan on doing an outdoor room or anything. So it will just be our TT and our vehicle really... maybe some foldable chairs out by the picnic table- that sort of thing but nothing that takes a lot of space. As far as privacy I don't expect to be miles away from others (LOL) but not right next to someone else (without any real vegetation to seperate us) would be nice. We just want to feel like we're really 'camping" in the tt- not just in a parking lot type area. We want some wildnerness around us at fort WILDERNESS, KWIM? Is that possible at FW? Let me know what you think about what I've said and based on that what loop you'd pick as your first choice- if you could choose? LOL

OK, I have some suggestions for you. First, let me say that you should not stress too much about your loop assignment. As Shan-man said on another thread, all of the loops are nice. There are nice sites on all of the loops, and some less than desirable sites on all of the loops. No matter what you request, you could be assigned to any site in your reservation category. If someone is already in the site that you ask for, there is not much that can be done about that. For most of my trips, I go with the flow. It always seems to work out. Some loop assignments that I thought I would hate, I ended up liking, so you just never know. On your trip, since you will have a family of five in a travel trailer, and since you plan on doing laundry, and visiting the pool, and you will not have a pet, I would highly recommend the 800 loop. Request a site on the outside of the loop, backing up to the canal, if possible. The comfort station is in the middle of this loop, so you will be close to it, and the sites along the canal, are for the most part, well spaced (but even here there are some exceptions). The pool is a convenient distance from the 800 loop. The reason that I suggest 800 over 500 for you is that it is closer to the pool (by a little). If you had a dog along, I would suggest 500, as it is more convenient to the dog park. I do not recommend the 600 loop for you. With a family of 5, you will want to use the comfort station for showers, and such, and the 600 loop does not have a comfort station (but there are comfort stations within walking distance-further away than if you stayed right on the 500 or 800 loops). You might also think about the 1400 loop. It is convenient to the pool and campfire, too. My only concern with the 1400 loop is that it had more than its share of "dud" spaces.

Or, you can just wing it, and hope for the best. As I said, some people over-stress about loop assignments, and that is not something that you should do.

BBB - there is only one loop that I know of that might fit your hopes - and that would be the 1100 loop. We were lucky enough to get site 1101 last year, and were amazed at how much space there was in between some of the sites. You could literally fit a couple of additional sites on one side of 1101, and at least one site on the other side. FlaFortCampster was kind enough to supply a pic or two of this site during his last trip to the Fort.

PS - please dont tell anyone about this loop, it's our little secret..;)

Two things:

1. FlaFortCampster is a she, not a he! (I made the same mistake, too).

2. As I said in response to BBB above, every loop has some "dud" sites, including the 1100 loop. I like the 1100 loop, and I agree with you about the spacing of most of the sites on this loop, but around back of the loop, several sites back up to the cabins on the 2100 loop. This might be desirable if you have friends in the cabins, but I am not sure that I would like camping on these sites. Might feel more like camping in a subdivision. Here are some photos of the sites I am talking about:

FWHalloween2008193.jpg

FWHalloween2008194.jpg

Also, 1100 has not yet been converted to premium sites. It may be done before May, but it may not be.

I am glad someone caught that reference! ;)

TCD

P.S. There is more trip report coming (did you notice I haven't mentioned anything about Tom Cruise yet- but he figures into my trip!).

Yes, I noticed the Tom Cruise reference. I also saw pictures of his family at MK....Can't wait to hear about your brush with a celebrity. He does look a little "refreshed" lately.

I still have some more photos of the 600 loop to share. . .

So, here we go.

My speculation is that the new entrance to the 600 loop will be directly across from the 15 minute Meadow Trading Post parking spaces.

These are the spaces that I am talking about:

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009307.jpg

These are right outside the 900 loop.

And while we are on the topic of the Meadow Trading Post, here is yet another instance where an "s" has been added:

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009308.jpg

Sometimes it is called the Meadow Trading Post, and sometimes the Meadows Trading Post. Why?

Well, anyway, right across from this parking area (with or without the extra "s"), this is what you see:

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009309.jpg

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009310.jpg

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009311.jpg

Right behind here is the sidewalk that has been partially removed. I think the orange stakes mark where the new road will go. But, one of these stakes says something about a "tap.":

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009312.jpg

Do you think that there will be a beer tap here? Right be the road? :confused3

Some photos taken over the fence from this possible entrance/beer tap location:

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009313.jpg

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009314.jpg

If this is going to be an entrance, then some more trees are going to have to come out. I guess that we will have to wait and see.

While we are in the area, have you ever noticed this fenced in area by the parking spaces?

I always thought that it was concealing a dumpster, which is a situation that you will find on some of the loops (there are fenced in areas like this on the 800 and 1400 loops, for example). But, this is not for a dumpster. It is for a lift station. Oh boy! And not just any lift station. Lift station #6! (I have no idea where 1-5 might be hidden):

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009315.jpg

I don't think this sign belongs here, as there is nothing above about chest-level back here, but here's your sign:

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009316.jpg

Anybody know what RCES is? Reedy Creek Emergency Services?

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009317.jpg

Here is what is hidden behind the fence:

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009318.jpg

That's a pretty impressive lift station, isn't it?

One of the nicest I have seen.

Seriously, where are 1-5? Not in the Fort, I don't think.

Do you all know what a lift station is?

It pumps sewage.

Right there behind your campsite if you are on the 900 loop.

Better hope there are no accidents.

But if there are, you now know who to call.

So, all of these photos that we have been looking at were taken early in the morning on Saturday, Feb. 14th. My cousin snapped this photo of the inside of the Meadow Trading Post before it opened for business at 8 am that morning:

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009322.jpg

My cousin had succeeded in beating the workers to the 600 loop construction site on Saturday morning.

Well, guess what?

Later in the morning, when the lighting was much better, the workers still had not reported for duty. Looks like they were taking the weekend off. And, my cousin had snuck around at dawn for no reason. So, with the sun a little higher in the sky, he reported back to the 600 loop, and took these photos, which show things in a better light:

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009324.jpg

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009325.jpg

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009326.jpg

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009327.jpg

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009328.jpg

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009329.jpg

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009330.jpg

That is enough 600 loop pictures.

There also were no workers present at the pool.

And no security guards.

Could my cousin find a way into the pool construction site?

And maybe find a set of plans, or something else of interest?

Could he?

Maybe. ;)

Check back for the next post to find out.

TCD

Great report, as usual :cool1:

looking forward to my upcoming trip now and seeing the progress

so, when do we get to see Tom :thumbsup2 :rotfl2:

Do you have your next trip planned already?

TCD, you are the Master of Suspense! I can hardly wait for the next post!

I've never stayed at FW yet, but when I get there, will feel like I know it inside and out--thanks to you and your deputies.;)
Of course my family thinks I'm crazy, but that's another issue....

OK, I have some suggestions for you. First, let me say that you should not stress too much about your loop assignment. As Shan-man said on another thread, all of the loops are nice. There are nice sites on all of the loops, and some less than desirable sites on all of the loops. No matter what you request, you could be assigned to any site in your reservation category. If someone is already in the site that you ask for, there is not much that can be done about that. For most of my trips, I go with the flow. It always seems to work out. Some loop assignments that I thought I would hate, I ended up liking, so you just never know. On your trip, since you will have a family of five in a travel trailer, and since you plan on doing laundry, and visiting the pool, and you will not have a pet, I would highly recommend the 800 loop. Request a site on the outside of the loop, backing up to the canal, if possible. The comfort station is in the middle of this loop, so you will be close to it, and the sites along the canal, are for the most part, well spaced (but even here there are some exceptions). The pool is a convenient distance from the 800 loop. The reason that I suggest 800 over 500 for you is that it is closer to the pool (by a little). If you had a dog along, I would suggest 500, as it is more convenient to the dog park. I do not recommend the 600 loop for you. With a family of 5, you will want to use the comfort station for showers, and such, and the 600 loop does not have a comfort station (but there are comfort stations within walking distance-further away than if you stayed right on the 500 or 800 loops). You might also think about the 1400 loop. It is convenient to the pool and campfire, too. My only concern with the 1400 loop is that it had more than its share of "dud" spaces.

Or, you can just wing it, and hope for the best. As I said, some people over-stress about loop assignments, and that is not something that you should do.
Although I try to be as laidback as possible- I'm really not a "wing it" kind of person. I've atleast matured enough to the point that I'm okay with REQUESTING a certain loop or 1st/2nd choice and just hoping I get them but will live if I don't. I don't think I've matured enough to just go wing it and get what I get without even trying to request something that would suit our needs better. LOL And who knows when we'll go again. If I was going often- I'd probably not care and want to take whatever and try every loop eventually- but we already know it will be years before we can go again... we cruise TA in 2010 and probably will want to cruise 2011 and those cruises aren't cheap enough to take on a WDW trip too- so we're talking quite a few years before we'll be able to camp there again. :(

Anyway- thank you for your suggestions! Quick look at the map after reading your suggestion- it sounds good on 800 to me. The map (if it's not changed?) looks like loop 800 has a comfort station... as well as a bus station nearby if we happen to want to take the bus for any reason. LOL Looks like it's not any further from the pool than loop 600 is really...

I like some of the other things you mentioned- I like the idea of being spaced out like you said--- and if we were close to the canal- can you fish there? I forgot to mention we'd be fishing. LOL 1400 does look like a good location on the map near comfort station/pool/etc. - but knowing our luck we'd totally get a dud space.LOL

Okay where do I fax the request? I gave my request of 600 loop (1st choice) and 500 (2nd choice) when I called to add a day at the beginning of our reservation. I've read that faxing is the best route.. so I guess I need to figure out how to send a fax to them but no clue where to send it and how I should word my request? (ps. if I put 1400 as my 2nd choice- any suggestions on where to ask to be? Like I mean how you mentioned on 800 to try to request on the outside of the loop backing up to the canal if possible. The map shows 1400 is right there near the campfire area!!! However, any idea on what to "request"to try to avoid the "dud" spaces? LMK!

Oh another question- both 800 and 1400 are premium loops? Because that's what we've booked...

BTW I love your trip report and I'm sorry if I've messed it up in any way. :(

Although I try to be as laidback as possible- I'm really not a "wing it" kind of person. I've atleast matured enough to the point that I'm okay with REQUESTING a certain loop or 1st/2nd choice and just hoping I get them but will live if I don't. I don't think I've matured enough to just go wing it and get what I get without even trying to request something that would suit our needs better. LOL And who knows when we'll go again. If I was going often- I'd probably not care and want to take whatever and try every loop eventually- but we already know it will be years before we can go again... we cruise TA in 2010 and probably will want to cruise 2011 and those cruises aren't cheap enough to take on a WDW trip too- so we're talking quite a few years before we'll be able to camp there again. :(

Anyway- thank you for your suggestions! Quick look at the map after reading your suggestion- it sounds good on 800 to me. The map (if it's not changed?) looks like loop 800 has a comfort station... as well as a bus station nearby if we happen to want to take the bus for any reason. LOL Looks like it's not any further from the pool than loop 600 is really...

I like some of the other things you mentioned- I like the idea of being spaced out like you said--- and if we were close to the canal- can you fish there? I forgot to mention we'd be fishing. LOL 1400 does look like a good location on the map near comfort station/pool/etc. - but knowing our luck we'd totally get a dud space.LOL

Okay where do I fax the request? I gave my request of 600 loop (1st choice) and 500 (2nd choice) when I called to add a day at the beginning of our reservation. I've read that faxing is the best route.. so I guess I need to figure out how to send a fax to them but no clue where to send it and how I should word my request? (ps. if I put 1400 as my 2nd choice- any suggestions on where to ask to be? Like I mean how you mentioned on 800 to try to request on the outside of the loop backing up to the canal if possible. The map shows 1400 is right there near the campfire area!!! However, any idea on what to "request"to try to avoid the "dud" spaces? LMK!

Oh another question- both 800 and 1400 are premium loops? Because that's what we've booked...

BTW I love your trip report and I'm sorry if I've messed it up in any way. :(

First off, you have not ruined this trip report in any way. One of the things that distinguishes us campers from some of the other boards is that we are here to help.

In my opinion, requesting something on your reservation does not do a whole lot of good. What seems to work like magic is a fax sent about five days before you arrive. Clkelley here on the Disboards has a fantastic fax form that I am hoping she will jump in here and provide (if you are reading this, Carol). If she doesn't, I will find it, and send it on to you. What I think works best is to phrase your request so the campsite assigner knows what you are looking for, and can accommodate your request. Since the 1400 loop is being worked on as we speak, I can't tell you what spots might be the best to request. There is a canal that runs along the 1400 loop, too, and some of the sites near the beginning of the loop that back up to the canal are nice and deep. But, as you come around the loop, they become shorter. I will be back at the Fort again in March/April, and rest assured that I will post photos of what looks good (and bad) in the 1400 loop.

I don't think you would have much luck fishing in the canal behind the 800 loop, but the lake in front of the Bike Barn is not far from there, and lots of folks fish there.

And yes, both 800 and 1400 loops are premium (1400 will be re-opening as a premium loop in the next week or so).

TCD

Let's move this report along, shall we?

The Tom Cruise story doesn't happen until after midnight on Saturday night, and we aren't even at noon yet.

In our last installment, we were looking at some spy pictures taken by my non-existent fictitious cousin from the Dominican Republic of the 600 loop. Since the workers took Saturday off, maybe Yuri could get some illegal other side of the fence photos at the pool.

So, he allegedly headed there.

A photo from the bridge behind the Meadow Trading Post:

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009331.jpg

As you can see, the entire project is fenced off. No way anyone can get in there for a closer look. But, again, there are no "Do Not Enter" signs, or "Keep Out" signs. So, are you really supposed to keep out? :confused3

More photos from around the fence perimeter, taken over the fence, or between cracks in the fence:

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009332.jpg

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009333.jpg

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009334.jpg

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009335.jpg

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009336.jpg

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009337.jpg

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay200933-1.jpg

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009358.jpg

It appears that my cousin accidentally found a hole in the fence, and unknowingly wandered into the construction area, based on these photos:

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009359.jpg

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009348.jpg

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009349.jpg

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009350.jpg

This photo was taken in from inside the fence, in front of the restrooms:

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009352.jpg

Do you recognize this information board that used to be on the lifeguard stand?:

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009353.jpg

The "secret" castmember doors were open. Here is what is behind the one on the left as you face into the covered area:

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009354.jpg

This is the door that would be on your right as you face the covered area:

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay200935-2.jpg

And, this is what is behind that door:

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay200935-1.jpg

Looks like the new pool will have a new water fountain (or maybe no water fountain):

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay200935-3.jpg

Looking out from this area:

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay200900-5.jpg

So, do you think the workers might have been using one of the rooms back here as an office? Maybe with a little folding table and a set of plans laid out? Sorry, but no. No plans laying around anywhere.

Truth be told, there isn't much that can be seen inside the fence that can't be pretty well seen from outside the fence. But, we had to check anyway, right?

And just so we are all clear, I knew nothing, directly or indirectly about my cousin's illegal entry into the restricted area. He is back in the Dominican Republic, and I cannot reach him. I do not condone or promote trespassing, and you should not try this at home.

TCD

Continuing on . . .

Here we are back at the 600 loop (bet you didn't think we would be going back there again). Just a few photos to show you something that you haven't seen yet.

This is a photo taken over the fence from inside the 600 loop, looking toward the original 600 loop entrance:

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009363.jpg

And, looking out into the expansion area from the same place:

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009364.jpg

So, if the entrance to the 600 loop has been fenced off, how are folks getting into the loop?

Through site #603, of course!:

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009365.jpg

If you look carefully toward the back of this photo, to the right of the new loop entrance, you can see that the sign that used to stand next to the original entrance has been moved to be right outside this temporary entrance:

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009366.jpg

What's up with that plywood box looking thing with the reflectors on it you ask? Well, this is a protective barrier set up around the utility stump for site #603. Here's what's behind the barrier:

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009367.jpg

I think we have reached our quota of 600 loop photos, so there will be no more in this report.

Let's move on to the opposite end of the campground, and check out something that I noticed on my last trip. Went back this time for photos.

Here we are on a cabin loop. We are on the 2600 loop to be exact. These cabins were installed back in the 2001 time frame. Before there were cabins here, there were what was called Wilderness Homes. They were more trailer-like. And, they did not have the nice decks that you see on the cabins now. You just had a set of stairs leading to the front and back door, and your picnic table was down on the ground.

Well, when the new cabins went in, and the new decks got built, it is interesting to see the lengths that the Fort management went to preserve trees. Several of the decks on these cabins were built around trees. These days, I am sure that they would solve this problem with a chainsaw, but back then, trees were viewed as more important. Take a look:

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009368.jpg

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009369.jpg

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009370.jpg

There sure has been a shift in the importance of trees philosophy at the Fort lately.

Here's something else that I noticed that was interesting. Most of the cabins at the Fort have the charcoal grill located on the ground, to the side of the porch. Like where it is located in the first of the cabins photos above.

Well, for some reason, on the 2700 loop the grills are mounted on the deck. On the wood deck. See here:

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009371.jpg

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009372.jpg

The genius who thought this was a good idea came up with a solution to the obvious fire hazard. A hose on the deck:

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009373.jpg

I am willing to bet that this MENSA member is on the team who decided to clear out all of the vegetation, chop down hundreds of trees, and make way more premium spaces than anybody wants or needs.

Here we are back at TCD base camp, site #1507. More Valentine's decorations:

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009374.jpg

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009375.jpg

The DD's got Taylor Swift dolls as Valentine's Day gifts. Here they are ready to go for a ride on the golf cart with the Mitchell Musso (Smokin' Oken) and Joe Jonas (Shane Gray) dolls:

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009376.jpg

Here are some photos that I took from the bridge heading toward the 1400 loop. The canal ain't looking too good:

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009377.jpg

Maybe they will clean it up when the construction gets finished?

Some more shots looking into 1400:

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009378.jpg

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009379.jpg

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009380.jpg

We hung around the campground all day on Valentine's Day. Since it was Presidents' Day weekend, we expected that the parks would be pretty packed on Saturday. We also planned to head over to the Magic Kingdom after dinner, since it would be open until midnight.

While I was waiting for the girls to get ready to go to the MK, we had a visitor at our site:

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009381.jpg

This hapless critter apparently did not hear about DD's new Nerf gun. Lucky for him, he visited while she was preoccupied, and he wandered off without incident.

We headed over to the Magic Kingdom at around 9. It wasn't that busy, so we were able to ride quite a few rides, finishing up at Big Thunder Mountain at midnight.

I noticed these totem poles outside of the BTMRR exit:

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009382.jpg

I posted an old photo a while back of some totem poles. I thought those totem poles may have been in Fort Wilderness, but now I think the old photo was taken somewhere in the Magic Kingdom. These totem poles are not the same, but they may be newer replacements for the ones in the old photo.

We headed out to the boat dock at a little after midnight. As we were waiting for the boat, a young man came running up to his party waiting right next to us for the Wilderness Lodge boat, screaming that he had just seen Tom Cruise in the MK candy store. Tom Cruise? Yeah, right. He got razzed pretty good by his party, and nobody seems to have believed him.

Well, it turns out that Tom Cruise was in the Magic Kingdom on February 14th. Check out this thread:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2091543

Poor Tom Cruise, he was in the same park with TCD, and he didn't get a chance to meet him. Now Sanjaya has bragging rights.

Sorry, but that is the Tom Cruise story. Hope you weren't expecting more. But, you have to admit, the guy is kind of creepy, so I think we are all better off that there wasn't an actual encounter.

TCD

Continuing on . . .

Here we are back at TCD base camp, site #1507. More Valentine's decorations:

ValentinesDayPresidentsDay2009374.jpg

TCD Love the Pop Up....We have the same one!! Don't you wish the screen room had flaps that came down to cover the screens in the rain!! Oh wait yours does....we suck :rotfl2:

Great pics!!

:rotfl2: I read this whole thread for the Tom Cruise part. Guess that will teach me not to get my hopes up. :rotfl2:

I love your "cousins" early morning picture taking. But could you ask him a question about the pool, I thought they were making it a zero entry. Or maybe I was hoping for a zero entry. :confused3 Doesn't look like they did anything put resurface it. Your cousin's excellent detective work appears to show the same exact steps. Is this true?

First off, you have not ruined this trip report in any way. One of the things that distinguishes us campers from some of the other boards is that we are here to help.

In my opinion, requesting something on your reservation does not do a whole lot of good. What seems to work like magic is a fax sent about five days before you arrive. Clkelley here on the Disboards has a fantastic fax form that I am hoping she will jump in here and provide (if you are reading this, Carol). If she doesn't, I will find it, and send it on to you. What I think works best is to phrase your request so the campsite assigner knows what you are looking for, and can accommodate your request. Since the 1400 loop is being worked on as we speak, I can't tell you what spots might be the best to request. There is a canal that runs along the 1400 loop, too, and some of the sites near the beginning of the loop that back up to the canal are nice and deep. But, as you come around the loop, they become shorter. I will be back at the Fort again in March/April, and rest assured that I will post photos of what looks good (and bad) in the 1400 loop.

I don't think you would have much luck fishing in the canal behind the 800 loop, but the lake in front of the Bike Barn is not far from there, and lots of folks fish there.

And yes, both 800 and 1400 loops are premium (1400 will be re-opening as a premium loop in the next week or so).

TCD
Okay great- thank you so much! I look forward to hear what you say about the 1400 loop- it's a few months still until I need to put in the 5 day request- so no rush on helping me find that info either. :) Thanks about the photos you'll take too!
Wish I could go as often as you!

And continuing on the trip report... I was thinking you'd say you saw Tom Cruise or something! LOL You're sneaky! hehe

We really need to get a screen room..... I have no idea how to try to find the best deal on that and then KNOW it will fit. Do you just by it by measurement or do you have to buy like what fits "your" specific brand/size/etc. TT/RV/etc? It would really add some room to our TT and have more shade than our awning gives us- plus ofcourse keep out bugs! It doesn't appear there is really much shade around the sites at FW- atleast from the photos I've seen so far on many threads. If we spend evenings and 2 days of our trip in the TT- we might start feeling a bit crowded in the TT and usually when we go camping the fam spends a lot of time outside around our TT but there is more shade at the places we usually camp- than what appears to be there at FW. Are the bugs bad at FW at the end of May? Just curious.
Anyway since that's an expense that wouldn't ONLY be for this trip to FW but any camping trip we take.. we really need to get one of those.

I was wondering the other day if they make screen rooms off the back of your SUV? If they don't- I should invent that. Can't tell you how many times I'd use that. LOL (like for instance in our upcoming zoo trip we're eating out at our vehicles- me and my friends. I have the biggest vehicle so we're eating out of the back of my Expedition- I wish I could attach a smallish screen room. Does that sound silly? LOL

Anyway are the screen rooms off the TT awning cheaper or more expensive (or the same?) as just buying a seperate screen room? Just curious.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter