• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Another PIT Int'l question

wvjules

DIS Veteran
Can I check my bags curbside before parking in the extended lot? Or have they done away with cars being able to pull up that close?

My In-Laws just flew in and out of PGH Intl last week for a cruise and they said that there was curbside bag checking going on.

My Dad said that they are making changes in some thing and that takes effect on December 6th, so after that I don't know.

We leave the 6th and will probably get caught right in the middle of it! Not to mention the rush hour traffic we will hit on our way to the airport.

But oh well....I'm going to DISNEY!

There is not a problem with curb side. As long as you aren't parked there for a real long time. They are doing new security screening but that doesn't start till the end of December so you shouldn't have a problem.

If you are flying USAirways realize that the lines get long on the curb to check your bags at peak times. They do have several people that will do it but be prepared. Sometimes it is better to check them inside. Also if you have requested an upgrade they have to take your bags inside and you can't check in at the curb.

What airline are you flying?

No that would be a good time to go. The morning rush is over and there won't be any lines.

We took that flight in May (I think it was 11:35 then) and the curbside area was not crowded, we probably arrived around 9:30 or 10:00.

I am going to guess what the December 6th change will be: The TSA will be taking over the ticketing area and conducting checked baggage checks (if they are doing them by hand) or the new electronic baggage machines will be coming online. My airport just became completely federalized with the TSA starting the checked baggage checks, and I know that there are others in the ramp up stage right now as the deadline is looming. Our transition appears to be going smoothly.

Edited to add this link: http://www.tsa.dot.gov/public/display?content=291

The TSA has already taken over at PIT. I find them to be much, much better than the previous screeners. These people now know their job, seem to have manners,etc. It is moving much better than it was before.

Safetymom, this is a new check conducted in the ticketing area (baggage checkpoint), not the checkpoint area (passenger checkpoint). I didn't think PIT was online with that yet.

The new checks will be starting here Dec. 31. Since the TSA is already working at the airport this shouldn't cause much of a problem. I fly out of PIT weekly and have seen a huge change so I don't think any new screening will tie things up much at the airport. Many people are already having their bags scanned on the ticketing level with them standing there in case of problems.

Safetymom,

Thanks for the info! I am glad to hear that it is NOT taking effect Dec 6th. We have enough to worry about with making it through rush hour to make our 8:45 flight out on a Friday night. I don't expect the airport to be crowded, but the Parkway will probably be.

Also, what time do you recommend people get to the airport before their flight. I was thinking 2 hours, but heard on the news today that they are telling the holiday travelers to be there 1 1/2 hour to 2 hours before for the long lines.

Thanks for the help...DH doesn't like to fly and he is already getting nervous a week ahead of time. And we haven't flown since Dec 2000 and I know that a lot has changed!

USAir is currently recommending 45 minutes to an hour on their site. They made it longer for this weekend because of heavy holiday traffic. We usually get out there 2 hours before just to be safe in case of an accident or something on the parkway.

ARLINGTON, Va., Nov. 27, 2002 -- The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) is moving to eliminate gate screening at select airports in the U.S. In conjunction with that move, effective Dec. 3, 2002, customers traveling US Airways from Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport, will need to obtain a boarding pass in order to clear checkpoint security.
At Minneapolis airport, boarding passes can be obtained at US Airways’ E-Ticket Check-In Kiosks or at the airline’s ticket check-in counter.

The new procedures also will become effective in several other cities as follows:

Dec. 5, 2002: Cincinnati, Detroit and St. Louis
Dec. 10, 2002: New York LaGuardia
Dec. 17, 2002: Cleveland, Charlotte, Dallas/Fort Worth, George Bush Houston Intercontinental and Pittsburgh

I travel weekly out of PIT and I still allow over an hour. I would rather be sitting in the airport all checked in than rushing and worrying if I have enough time.

There is plenty to do at the airport if you have extra time. Between rush hour on the Parkway and the Friday evening crush at the airport,all the businessmen are flying home. I would allow extra time so your husband can have a stress free trip to the airport.

Once inside the terminal another way to speed things up is to use the Kiosk to check in if you are flying USAirways. It sure beats standing in line to check in after you have done curb side luggage check in. I am Gold preferred with US and still use the kiosks because it is usually much faster. So be sure to bring the credit card you bought the tickets with or your USAirways card to use at the kiosk.

The last time we used curbside check in( prior to 9/11) we got our boarding passes from the guy at the outside counter. I have paper tickets, not e-tickets. I am confused. Do I need to use the e-ticket kiosk to get the boarding pass instead of the curbside guy? I know I don't want to stand in the big check in lines. I have planned a 2 hour time frame between arrival at the airport and flight time. And I plan on a 1 hour drive from the East End to get to the airport. (At least the outbound Tunnel is open). I chose the first week in December so I wouldn't have to stand in line at Disney. I really don't want to stand in a major set of major lines at my own airport.

Leaving Monday morning.

Kim

:bounce: :Pinkbounc :jester: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :confused:

Was that USAirways? I've never been able to get a boarding pass curbside from them. I usually get it a the gate, the last time I used the e-ticket kiosk, it was very easy plus you get 1,000 bonus miles the first time you use it, 50 thereafter. The new rule doesn't take effect at PIT until 12/17, so if you are flying Monday you can still get it at the gate.

It depends on what airline you are flying. Delta does curbside boarding passes but I know most of them don't. So it would depend on who you are flying to know whether or not to allow extra time. I know USAirways does not do curbside boarding passes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter