Another one! :( another child

Serena

<font color=navy>Not afraid of canned biscuits<br>
Arkansas Child Kidnapped From Bed, Assaulted
20-Year-Old In Custody
Posted: 11:10 a.m. EDT July 29, 2002

CONWAY, Ark. -- An 8-year-old girl was abducted from her home and sexually assaulted outside the house Sunday morning as her parents and sister slept inside, police said.

The girl told police a stranger woke her and said the house was on fire. The man took the child to the side yard and sexually assaulted her before leaving the scene, police said.

Maj. Mark Elsinger of the Conway Police Department said Monday a suspect was in custody and would likely be charged later in the day with burglary, rape and kidnapping.

Bobauk Akhaui, 20, was arrested later Sunday morning about five blocks from the scene of the assault on a charge of public intoxication.

"This guy is our main suspect in the case," Elsinger said Monday. Police said they knew of no connection between Akhaui and the girl's family.

The girl's abductor "went to her bedroom and told her the house was on fire and they had to get out," Elsinger said "She asked about her parents, and he said they'd meet her outside."

Elsinger said the girl told police that she and the man tried to wake her younger sister who was sleeping next to her but the girl would not wake up. The man then led her to the side yard where he assaulted her, Elsinger said.

"He left. She went inside," he said. "She woke up her parents." They called police about 4:30 a.m.

"She did a wonderful job of giving a description of both him and his clothing," Elsinger said.

He said the girl was doing well Monday.

"Its an emotional situation," Elsinger said. "This is obviously a random... affair. I just thank God, if this is the individual, that we got him."

Copyright 2002 by The Associated Press.

This is so heartbreaking to me :( Our poor babies :(

Hey, now the one in Philly was 7/8 years old, how old was the one in Missouri...

Scary scary scary...

I am beginning to feel we need to perform some public emasculations and MAYBE these nuts might think twice. This is so disgusting.

Some people are really sick and need to get some therapy before it comes to this.:( :mad:

That poor girl.

Castration sounds good to me.

Now, before anyone flames me here... I have a comment on this.

Does anyone have any statistics on how many children go missing/abducted everyday? I am wondering if this is actually an everyday occurance, and due to the "Media" on this current coverage, this plague is now being known to the public....

I remember reading The Walshes biography and the statistics were staggering that so many kids are gone/ (abducted, runaway, kidnapped) every day, that it astonished me.

I would never wish this on anyone. The media only covered some abductions/ not every one. Now it is coming more to the forefront, and people are truly realizing how many children are affected by this.

According to the National Center for Exploited Children website... here' are the yearly statistics for child abductions...

Q: How many missing children are there?
A: According to the National Incidence Studies of Missing, Abducted, Runaway, and Thrownaway Children conducted by the U.S. Department of Justice and released in 1990, the yearly estimates of each type of “missing child” are
Family Abductions - 354,100
Nonfamily Abductions - 3,200 to 4,600
Attempted Nonfamily Abductions - 114,600
Runaways - 450,700
Thrownaways - 127,100
Lost, Injured, or Otherwise Missing - 438,200

Granted this data is from 1990. And these are only *estimates*.

According to the Federal Bureau of Investigation's National Crime Information Center (NCIC) there were According to the Federal Bureau of Investigation's National Crime Information Center (NCIC) there were 840,279 missing-person entries (adults and juveniles) in the year 2001. A review of NCIC data shows that that approximately 85– 90 percent of those entries were juveniles. Thus, in approximately 725,000 cases (or on average 2,000 per day) the disappearance of a child was serious enough that a parent called law
enforcement and the law-enforcement agency took a report and entered it into NCIC. It should be noted, however, that the vast majority of these cases are resolved within hours.

missing-person entries (adults and juveniles) in the year 2001. A review of NCIC data shows that that approximately 85– 90 percent of those entries were juveniles. Thus, in approximately 725,000 cases (or on average 2,000 per day) the disappearance of a child was serious enough that a parent called law
enforcement and the law-enforcement agency took a report and entered it into NCIC. It should be noted, however, that the vast majority of these cases are resolved within hours.

800 thousand children in 2001.

(or an average of 2, 000 per day) 2,000 per day. It makes us stop and think and realize it isn't just one/two per day. but 2,000 !

Is there no end to these monsters.

Our children are not even safe in their own homes.

I was thinking the same thing, CindyB. All this news really hasn't worried me, because I know that many kids get abducted every day and they're just reporting more on TV. But I've been wondering how many people think there's some new "epidemic" or something. I'm glad they're publicizing more in one way, though, because a lot more kids are aware of the dangers and able to defend themselves.

2,000 a day... wow. That's about 4 times more than I thought, but I'm still not too surprised.

2,000 a day.. Its very sobering isn't it.

2,000 people, thats a small concert hall, or double my church congregation, that's approximately 1/2 of how many people (estimating) that perished in the WTC. That is about 3x as my senior graduating class... (approximately 700).

This is every day! ...

This type of news is very depressing and scarey especially when you have children of your own.

I think that what's new, and so scary, is that children are being stolen out of their bedrooms in the middle of the night. I never heard of that before Polly Klaas and now it's happening more and more. :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter