Another money grab...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny, I haven’t even been thinking about concern for real alcoholics. Agree that they are challenged just about everywhere. I’ve just found that hardy partiers are typically strong influencers. That’s been very evident here on this thread!!!

I suppose I’d rather be looking for a Mickey ice cream for the kids, rather than looking for a spiked slushie for Cousin Sue. Call me a fuddy duddy, but I think Walt nailed it.
I'll be brutally honest here ~ my father is a drunk, has been a drunk (oops, have to be PC, an "alcoholic) my entire life. Alcohol has caused me much suffering in my life. It would be laughable to call me a "partier". I drink one old fashioned a week, usually with fish on Friday nights.

However, I drink when I am on vacation. No one has to drive, I don't have any responsibilities I need to attend to and my children are grown. By drinking, I mean I typically consume one alcoholic beverage per day, because I'm too cheap to pay Disney's outrageous prices.

I don't care what anyone else does with their mouths or their money, it isn't any of my business. If you don't want to drink, great. You do you and leave the rest of us alone.

I think it’s funny that nobody can/will say that a booze-less family theme park could be an okay thing. Even though that’s what DL was, as created by Walt Disney.

I personally do not have any horrible personal experience with drinkers in the parks. I’ve just given thoughts on why a decision could rationally be made to minimize liquor throughout the parks.

But Walt didn’t live in the “Me Times.” People now have to have their personal wants fulfilled. Happily, there are new Disney sheriffs in town who are happy to accommodate and grab any and all cash.

I like an adult beverage as much as the next guy, probably even more than the next guy;) I don't even notice all this booze business probably because I seldom drink alcohol while touring parks (drinking in the hot sun isn't fun to me.) Horses for courses as they say.:)

Funny, I haven’t even been thinking about concern for real alcoholics. Agree that they are challenged just about everywhere. I’ve just found that hardy partiers are typically strong influencers. That’s been very evident here on this thread!!!

I suppose I’d rather be looking for a Mickey ice cream for the kids, rather than looking for a spiked slushie for Cousin Sue. Call me a fuddy duddy, but I think Walt nailed it.

We don't know what Walt would think now as things have drastically changed.

And I'm looking for the Mickey Ice Cream and the Grey Goose Slushie.

That's the point....something for everyone.

WDW is the ONLY place I drink alcohol. I have no more than one per day and it is something I look forward to doing.

So, I'm by no means a "hardy partier." I'm a 51 year old grandmother of five.

I don't know...I am NOT missing your point or the OPs point. I hear you. I get what your saying and why you're saying it. I just very much disagree with those opinions.

I think it’s funny that nobody can/will say that a booze-less family theme park could be an okay thing. Even though that’s what DL was, as created by Walt Disney.

I personally do not have any horrible personal experience with drinkers in the parks. I’ve just given thoughts on why a decision could rationally be made to minimize liquor throughout the parks.

But Walt didn’t live in the “Me Times.” People now have to have their personal wants fulfilled. Happily, there are new Disney sheriffs in town who are happy to accommodate and grab any and all cash.

Just got back from Disneyland, I have no issue that it is a dry park, I would have had no issue if MK were still a dry park. I do however have an issue when someone makes it sound as if adding one more lounge to a park that already has plentiful alcohol options is going to harm children and families.

I personally am not going to try and predict what Walt would condone if he were alive and in charge of the parks today.

A booze-less them park could be an okay thing.

I have no problem saying it.

It wouldn't stop me from going.

I believe there is nothing new under the sun and that history repeats itself.

The 60s, when Walt lived, were very much a "me time."

I haven't forgotten my history.

From MY perspective, you are kind of the pot calling the kettle black. You would also like your personal wants fulfilled.

Of course a booze-less family theme park can be ok. The lack of alcohol never stopped me from going to the Magic Kingdom. I just also like having the option of having a tasty alcoholic beverage when I'm in a park, so more places to do so are always welcome.

A booze-less them park could be an okay thing.

I have no problem saying it.

It wouldn't stop me from going.

I believe there is nothing new under the sun and that history repeats itself.

The 60s, when Walt lived, were very much a "me time."

I haven't forgotten my history.

From MY perspective, you are kind of the pot calling the kettle black. You would also like your personal wants fulfilled.

Ha ha! There you are wrong, my friend. I have a great fondness for the special Manhattans at DL, and don’t get me started on how good that basil margarita is at La Hacienda. So the offerings suit me just fine. But I can still understand why the OP looked around and thought, “Dang, not another one.” And I can see many reasons why abundant and ubiquitous booze could be park-altering.

And another poster mentioned ditching out for awhile because he was bored with the family time. Fair enough, but if the option wasn’t there to go have a tall cool one, he may have been “forced” to stick around and build family memories.

Sometimes you need a break from your family on vacation. Especially on vacation. I don't know about you, but at home, we are not together in the same "space" 24/7. Sharing a room and spending every second together stresses everyone out at times. We have had our fair share of fights, catty moments, and just times where the kids are just being loud and hyper and you need to step away. That doesn't make you a bad person, or a bad parent. Stepping away and taking a breather, however that looks, be it to get a drink at a bar, go for a run/workout, have an adults only dinner...whatever...It makes you a better person for taking that time you need to decompress and recharge.

This past trip, my husband took an afternoon to spend time at World Showcase and have a few beers in a couple countries, enjoyed a spontaneous lunch at Restaurant Marrakesh, and just wander around. This is something he really wanted to do, and not something our kids would have tolerated, so I encouraged him to go solo. I took the kids to the pool. We ALL had a blast that day, and later in the trip, he took the kids to the pool without me, while I did laundry (not thrilling, but peaceful quiet time for me to read my book in the room with no noise). I never consider those types of things to be missing out on building family memories. We don't all have to do the same things at the same times to build good memories.

And another poster mentioned ditching out for awhile because he was bored with the family time. Fair enough, but if the option wasn’t there to go have a tall cool one, he may have been “forced” to stick around and build family memories.

Even when no alcohol is involved, that's a philosophy that's doomed to failure. Forcing an entire family to have one extended kind of fun together never works out.

That's not even true. And I bet we've all been to alcohol free parks. And survived. Without even really noticing. You are really getting into the 'everyone who drinks is an alcoholic' internet argument territory.

You are forgetting Walt had a hidden club in his park that served alcohol. He was ok with drinking, as long as you were one of his chosen few. He was very much all about "me" when it came to him.

Ok...well from my original post I have not been condescending, as has been suggested . I have never said that alcohol doesn't belong in the parks . Never meant to pass any judgements on those who responsibly drink at WDW. What I have said , and it is just my opinion , never meant to be presented as fact , is that the continued trend of Disney making more places to buy alcohol has the very real potential to create problems that they don't want . That no one wants . This was not meant to offend anyone or to tell or suggest how anyone spend their money and time on their vacation . I respect all of your opinions even if we disagree on some of them . Some people have totally and completely misunderstood my intentions and tone for some reason and for that I apologize for not making my opinion clearer .

You keep digging that hole deeper. Your new assumption that alcohol causes problems pretty much reinforces the impression that you are judging everyone else and know what’s best for us all

That's not even true. And I bet we've all been to alcohol free parks. And survived. Without even really noticing. You are really getting into the 'everyone who drinks is an alcoholic' internet argument territory.

I don’t even remotely think what you have in quotes there.

Sometimes you need a break from your family on vacation. Especially on vacation. I don't know about you, but at home, we are not together in the same "space" 24/7. Sharing a room and spending every second together stresses everyone out at times. We have had our fair share of fights, catty moments, and just times where the kids are just being loud and hyper and you need to step away. That doesn't make you a bad person, or a bad parent. Stepping away and taking a breather, however that looks, be it to get a drink at a bar, go for a run/workout, have an adults only dinner...whatever...It makes you a better person for taking that time you need to decompress and recharge.

This past trip, my husband took an afternoon to spend time at World Showcase and have a few beers in a couple countries, enjoyed a spontaneous lunch at Restaurant Marrakesh, and just wander around. This is something he really wanted to do, and not something our kids would have tolerated, so I encouraged him to go solo. I took the kids to the pool. We ALL had a blast that day, and later in the trip, he took the kids to the pool without me, while I did laundry (not thrilling, but peaceful quiet time for me to read my book in the room with no noise). I never consider those types of things to be missing out on building family memories. We don't all have to do the same things at the same times to build good memories.

Sooooo true!

Last trip we learned we can’t do one room anymore. By day 4 i wanted to strangle everyone. I very much need my space and quiet time. Even on the weekends at home i get up an hour before everyone so i can have some time alone!

Luckily my kids are older and were fine staying at the pool or the room while we had some adult time. One night we did CG and another night we did drinking and eating at Epcot. For the Epcot night they chose to stay behind on their own.

Next trip it’s just DD12 and myself. I have one morning/early afternoon planned at Epcot if she wants to sleep in. Which I’m sure she will. I’m just one of those people that needs my me time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter