• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Another Adventure Begins

I don't want to start an argument with you buddy, but I have to say...I don't think you gave it a chance.

I know that D23 isn't for everyone, but I don't think you wanted to like it before you even got there, and you were just looking for a reason to complain.

I am glad you had a good time at Sunday's events though and it was great to see you again.

Why do you think that I didn't give it a chance? I spent $245 and 4 days at D23.

I was totally turned off by the 30 minute sales pitch. Also, thereis no excuse for a speaking who says she has no emotional attrachment to the subject she is speaking on.

I joined D23 Silver in late November of 2010. Paid my membership fee, and did not hear from them until January of 2011. Even after that very long processing delay, I still gave them a chance and signed up for the scavenger hunt and lecture series/concert.

If I did not want to go, why would I pay $215 to attend the event?

I have given D23 a fair chance, but they keep dropping the ball.

Great to see you too! Say hello to your family for me. :)

Let me rephrase....You didn't give Destination D a chance. You went in bitter (which I can partly understand) and you skipped a third of the presentations. There was no way you were going to come out of this weekend satisfied.

Skip, I can understand your point. I signed up the very first year D23 was out. I received the magazines regularly and have yet to look at one. I got nothing else out of it because the events are at really strange times of the year and not conducive to those who work in a school. There wasn't any specialty merchandise that wowed me and no discounts on anything. It really, in my honest opinion, is nothing but another way to get more money. I am sure there are those that enjoy it and have the luxury to attend some of the events (now that they're actually holding them more often than when it first started up), but it's just not for me.

I'm glad you had a good time though. Sometimes friends really make an experience more than it is.

I agree with Tom, that D23 is not for everyone, but I agree with Skip too.

I was a D23 "Charter Member" and I got nothing out of it. Just magazines that I can buy at Border's. I feel completely suckered for having fell for it, and I'm a huge Disney fan. Nikki is right, it's just another way for Disney to fatten its bottom line by preying on real Disney fans.

Let me rephrase....You didn't give Destination D a chance. You went in bitter (which I can partly understand) and you skipped a third of the presentations. There was no way you were going to come out of this weekend satisfied.

While I did not enjoy the opening remarks (sales pitch) or the first presentation on Saturday. However, I really enjoyed Dave Smith's presentation! I did leave at lunch on Saturday to go play in the parks, because I had already seen the videos listed on the schedule by searching for vintage stuff on Youtube.

If I was not willing to give Destination D a chance, why did I attend Sunday's event???? Sunday was fantastic!!!!!

I'm not sure that they're "preying on real Disney fans". I think they're giving real Disney fans what they want, special events where they can get up close and personal with the people that make the magic happen.

I don't mean to sound like a commercial, but before D23 hardly anyone ever got inside the archives to talk to Dave Smith or took a tour of the Walt Disney Studios or listened to Imagineers talk about building Disneyland or Disneyworld or....

Well maybe "preying on" was too strong a phrase, but when they use lines like "Official Club for Real Disney Fans", it kind of pressures people into joining if they consider themselves a Disney fan. And it comes at a price that isn't all that affordable for many. How many people are really able to attend those events? the average D23 member doesn't get a lot in return for their dues.

Well maybe "preying on" was too strong a phrase, but when they use lines like "Official Club for Real Disney Fans", it kind of pressures people into joining if they consider themselves a Disney fan. And it comes at a price that isn't all that affordable for many. How many people are really able to attend those events? the average D23 member doesn't get a lot in return for their dues.

Agreed.

The Magic Kingdom Club Gold Card worked. They need to shut down D23 and bring back the Magic Kingdom Club Gold Card. The MKCGC could have a special Backstage Magic trip with a visit to the archives and Imagineering.

What was D23 intended to be, if it was not intended to reward loyalty?

A fan club.

I hate to plug my own blogs, but this is from my interview with Steven Clark I did last year:

http://www.disunplugged.com/2010/09/19/steven-clark-talks-d23/

“I don’t think anyone in the company had really thought about the fact that we didn’t have a fan club. The fan experience has always been enjoyed by segments of the Disney company. What I mean by that is Parks & Resorts has Disney Vacation Club and the Annual Passholder program, the Studio has Disney Movie Rewards, and Disney Consumer Products has Walt Disney Collectors Society, but there was no organization that allowed people…a chance to celebrate their love of all things related to Disney under one roof. And that’s what D23 offers.”-Steven Clark

I'm not sure that they're "preying on real Disney fans". I think they're giving real Disney fans what they want, special events where they can get up close and personal with the people that make the magic happen.

I don't mean to sound like a commercial, but before D23 hardly anyone ever got inside the archives to talk to Dave Smith or took a tour of the Walt Disney Studios or listened to Imagineers talk about building Disneyland or Disneyworld or....

I am a real Disney fan and have not been given what I want. As mentioned in my post above, D23 did not meet my expectations.

:thumbsup2

For those who are not on Facebook:

Mom and I made it home safe tonight.

This past Friday, I saw a cast member in a power wheelchair working the turnstiles at Disney's Hollywood Studios. Hope is still alive!!!!!!":)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter