• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Annual Pass yes or no...

eeyoreali

Mouseketeer
Hello!

I have a group of 6 (myself, dh, dd 10, ds 6, and my parents) going for an 11 day trip. We're staying onsite renting DVC. We plan on spending 8 days in the parks and getting park hopper tickets. I'm wondering in one person should get the annual pass. We would get the tickets and then upgrade once at Disney if we decide to get one.

We plan on getting the memory maker & I know that's included in the AP. We also plan on doing the MVMCP, eating at table service 8-10 times, and shopping. I know discounts are given on all those areas with the AP.

We're thinking of maybe doing an Early Morning or After Hours event.

When they say no discount given for "special event" under dining are they referring to charachter meals, or something like the fireworks dessert party or Fantasmic meal package?

What words of wisdom do you all have for me??

I’m following this! I’m wondering the same thing. We are staying for 13 days, 8 park days and memory maker. Right now we have about 15 table services planned and we plan on shopping some. I was thinking about only upgrading 1 person to the annual pass for the discounts. Several of the restaurants that we have planned get the discount. So can I buy the annual pass before or do I just upgrade when I get there? Thanks!!

You need to do the math, but with a group that big and a trip that long, you may break even or better. I usually do this when our family of five or six goes, but DH and I usually plan a second trip to go back for an adults-only weekend, too.

DisneyMom7272 - you can upgrade when you get there.

When you have one person with an annual pass, can you get a discount for your whole party for MVMCP? I always assumed it's just for the AP holder.

Hello!

I have a group of 6 (myself, dh, dd 10, ds 6, and my parents) going for an 11 day trip. We're staying onsite renting DVC. We plan on spending 8 days in the parks and getting park hopper tickets. I'm wondering in one person should get the annual pass. We would get the tickets and then upgrade once at Disney if we decide to get one.

We plan on getting the memory maker & I know that's included in the AP. We also plan on doing the MVMCP, eating at table service 8-10 times, and shopping. I know discounts are given on all those areas with the AP.

When they say no discount given for "special event" under dining are they referring to charachter meals, or something like the fireworks dessert party or Fantasmic meal package?

I don't think the Extra Magic Mornings have any special pass holder discount; they are technically under dining. For the dining discount, you might look into Tables in Wonderland; it's $150 and available only to APs and DVC owners, but it will get your whole party (up to 10 people) a 20% discount at many meals. If you're doing a lot of Table Service, this might be worth it for you.
The Disney After Hours tickets are not considered dining, and are $30 off per ticket for APs.
It's too early to tell what the discount will be for 2019 MVMCP, but there will be a discount.

Hello!

I am going to say it will be a close call for the AP it is $952.11 looks like your tickets for 8 days would be $562.13. so you would have to save 389.98 MM is 169 so this gets you to $220.98. not all restaurants give AP discounts, not all MNSSHP offer AP discounts

After hours does offer discounts but it is limited to AP holder and 3 people ( i think) so you will have to pay full price for 2 people maybe 3

there is no AP discount for the dessert party

If you buy the AP I would do it if you are ok if it does not save you money because there is a chance it will not there is a chance it will ( you might even spend more many then you would have because well you get 20% off this item or well you know we have to have the most expensive thing on the menu to save more money, the only time I think an AP is worth it 100% if when you go more days and the AP is cheaper than.

For our party of 8 going this coming March/April, we decided it was worth it. But a big part of it being worth it was the fact we were able to book rooms using an AP discount. I would just crunch some numbers and see.

You really need to run the math in your specific case. Some of the AP discounts may also be the same if you have a Disney Visa. Also, you can buy Tables in Wonderland to get additional dining discounts. You may or may not be able to get room discounts, but those aren't guaranteed. I believe to get the AP discount on MVMCP you need to have the AP voucher tagged to your account before you can buy, so you can't do the upgrade when you arrive unless you are going to chance the event selling out. I'd suspect that a single AP may save you money, but you really need to do the math with the new ticketing structure and pricing.

Thank you for all of the feedback.

It's about $220 difference for us. I think I need to try to figure out the meals, and other things to see if there'll be a savings or not.

I’d get the AP! Save you from purchasing MM and gets
you some discounts.

I get the annual pass because I stay for two weeks. I may just pop into a park for a few hours or park hope until my DW gets there. My DW then flies in for 8 days. I also pick up the Tables in Wonderland card. The 20 percent discount and then 18 percent tip added back in helps me limit my tipping to the 18 percent instead of maybe paying a 25 percent tip. It also covers alcohol drinks. With enough table service meals it adds up.

WARNING: Once you have AP you’ll be tempted to go multiple times in a year! Our two trips that justified the AP purchase have turned into five because “we might as well use AP while we have it!”. This is not a problem for me :)

Lol, I have posted this many times on here myself. We are in a “no AP” time right now, but for many years we had APs to pay for 2 trips. But it was the third extra trip that got us!

Hello!

Any Dining Package that has a show attached to it. So, Fantasmic, Rivers of Light, Candlelight Processional, etc. Those do NOT have an AP Dining Discount. Also, not all table service meals have AP discounts. Some Table Service meals only offer an AP Discount for lunch and some only have the discount for dinner.

Thank you for all of the feedback.

It's about $220 difference for us. I think I need to try to figure out the meals, and other things to see if there'll be a savings or not.
Check to see if your Table Service meals give you the AP discount. Looks like 4 adults and 2 children so you would need a (pre tax/gratuity and no alcohol) average of $225 a meal for 9 meals. If those same restaurants also accept Tables in Wonderland then you should look into that as well. At 20%, which also discounts alcohol, you would need $1500 in meal & alcohol bills to break even on the $150 fee. I took into account only 10% off for TiW because you would have gotten the 10% for an AP discount without buying TiW rendering that purchase only 1/2 as good (but may still be warranted) especially if you throw in a few drinks here and there.

So for the extra $220 for AP + $150 for TiW = $370 extra out of pocket for those 2. If you have $1850 in (pre tax/gratuity) meals including alcohol, then purchasing both may be the way to go. You just need to run the numbers for each restaurant and see if they give an AP/TiW discount.

Also, a single DAH event with a $30 discount for each person may be enough to justify the AP as you will make up the rest of the difference in meal discount and 20% merchandise discount.

It really is a numbers game. What will a park hopper for then number of days that you want cost vs an AP.
I would do at least 1 AP to get the 10% meal discount and other discounts and free Memory Maker. You can add everyone else so they can see the photos.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter