An open letter to Disney about mandatory room checks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just became aware that the head of DVC, Ken Potrock, was promoted and therefore is no longer with DVC. Is there confirmation of this? Would this have any potential of changes to this room check policy?

Welcome Home!

Dang, talk about obvious. Was thinking from my point of view being a DVC Member. Oh well.

Welcome Home!

It's okay, we all see these things through our own eyes.

I think that DVC folks are the ones more likely to notice any inconveniences because they are used to having few to no intrusions from housekeeping, etc. I also believe that is why these rooms seem to be singled out more because of the infrequent entries from any staff members. I also think that no matter who guests complain to, if Disney lawyers have determined this is a policy that will protect Disney, it is going to happen. However, I will add that if there are actions by the staff that compel guests to complain, there will be changes to how the policy is implemented.

So, to those who have stayed at Disney on site multiple times this year, has this policy been implemented better over time?

What have you noticed?

Welcome Home!
We've stayed when the change was made, actually on property when the signs changed out in January, again in March, another in April, and just returned at midnight last night from a stay at the end of May/first of June. The trip in January was 3 resort split stay. The other 3 were single resort stays.
Total nights on property have been about 20, give or take a night (I didn't break out a calendar)
We have yet to have any personal impact due to the policy in any way whatsoever.
We do not decline housekeeping
We are not commando park goers. Some days we are out early, some we sleep late. Some days we take breaks during the day for naps, some days we turn in early. Basically random schedules. Our latest trip was the most laid back of all, lots of resort time.
On 3 trips we had a Housekeeper knock on the door to see if we were ready to check out on our last day. On all 3 we were not quite ready to leave and I told them we needed a little more time. We typically take till at least 10:00 on check out day, usually right till 11:00. All 3 times they said no problem and left. No one bothered us again.
So the bottom line, as far as my family is concerned, there is no difference in our trips from before this policy began to after this policy began. It is exactly the same to us. We've not changed one single thing in our procedures or habits. It's an invisible policy change.

...We do not decline housekeeping...

Well by golly I wonder why you haven't had any issues with the room check policy!?!?!

Everyone gets it: for those who accept housekeeping, there are no issues. Life is great. That's not the issue, but I'm glad your stays have been to your liking.

I wonder if you would have had the same, uninterrupted, pleasant vacation had you declined housekeeping.

Well by golly I wonder why you haven't had any issues with the room check policy!?!?!

Everyone gets it: for those who accept housekeeping, there are no issues. Life is great. That's not the issue, but I'm glad your stays have been to your liking.

I wonder if you would have had the same, uninterrupted, pleasant vacation had you declined housekeeping.
No, I can tell you right now I would not have had the same pleasant vacation if I had declined housekeeping, but that has nothing to do with Disney's policy change.

Has the question only been posed to those who have declined Housekeeping?

Last edited:
Last update on poll:

Agree with room check policy - 3 or 11%
Disagree with room check policy - 18 or 67%
Other - 6 or 22%

Welcome Home

I thought it would be interesting to look at the results from a different angle. I should note that I only counted 25 responses instead of 27 so I must have missed two. Here are my noted results:

Staying on property anyway - 15 (60%)
Moving off property - 9 (36%)
Undecided - 1 (4%)

It’s happening in DVC units too where there is no daily housekeeping so nothing to refuse, you get the daily trash check which you can’t turn down. Instances have been reported on another discussion board for DVC owners.

Disney put small trash cans in the rooms so they now need to be emptied daily. I don’t think the policy is about housekeeping monitoring your room, it’s about Disney entering your room if any suspicious behavior is observed.
We stayed at the poly last year and my wife sent me on multiple trips to the car. I noticed a security officer watching me and wondered what’s he looking for? Maybe they entered our room later in the day and had a look around? I don’t mind, it’s the world we live in.

I think the same exact RO sign with the exact same wording re: room inspections are on the doors of both CRO rooms and DVC rooms (when the signs are actually there.) And DVC rooms can be booked by CRO. The line is blurred.

Last edited:
I did not notice a difference in the size of trashcans in the poly, BCV, or BWV rooms I stayed in in January/February. Looked exactly the same but I didn’t really notice much because they were constantly empty. That’s interesting.

On 3 trips we had a Housekeeper knock on the door to see if we were ready to check out on our last day. On all 3 we were not quite ready to leave and I told them we needed a little more time. We typically take till at least 10:00 on check out day, usually right till 11:00. All 3 times they said no problem and left. No one bothered us again.
So the bottom line, as far as my family is concerned, there is no difference in our trips from before this policy began to after this policy began. It is exactly the same to us. We've not changed one single thing in our procedures or habits. It's an invisible policy change.

That in itself is a change I am not looking forward to.

I’m curious. Have you had your room occupied sign on your door the morning you check out?

That in itself is a change I am not looking forward to.

That is not related to this policy. That's been happening to us at WDW on and off for the last 10 years. They are the most aggressive on check out morning than anywhere else we've ever stayed.

That is not related to this policy. That's been happening to us at WDW on and off for the last 10 years. They are the most aggressive on check out morning than anywhere else we've ever stayed.
It’s never happened to me when I’ve used my do not disturb sign, and we almost always stay until 11am.

Me neither. Just lucky?

Nobody has ever knocked on my door when the do not disturb sign is on. Ever. Check out day or otherwise. Maybe @dansdad is just unlucky.

Last year we opted out of housekeeping for two weeks at Pop. Every time I had to call housekeeping to request something, they always reminded me to take the do not disturb sign off my door because they weren’t allowed to knock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter