An open letter to Disney about mandatory room checks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if it sounded like I have any idea what Kind of security measures Disney had in place. I absolutely don’t and did not intend to imply I did. I was attempting to respond to another poster’s comment above asking for suggestions for changes in implementation in the light of her/his view that “Disney is not going to abandon” the current procedure. Nothing more. Thanks

It was easy for me also to compare experiences in late January/early February of this year because I stayed 3 nights at the dolphin where staff wasn’t even allowed to knock when a DND sign was up, followed immediately by my experience of being walked in on at BWV on a solo trip. So I may be particularly bothered by implementation? Since it’s not just talk on the internet to me, but actual personal experience. I am willing to and have plans to try it all again in October. And I will have my husband with me in October so I hope I will feel more comfortable when not solo.

So, to those who have stayed at Disney on site multiple times this year, has this policy been implemented better over time?

What have you noticed?

Welcome Home!

Very seriously, what would you each (and others) suggest. Be realistic. They're not going to abandon the procedure.

I have no issue with the question. I can be realistic - if Disney truly wants to address their issue, provide for safety of guests and implement a long term process .... I can see this pointless procedure going away.

If folks want to believe this is Las Vegas related ...... no good criminal is going to leave their guns out laying around for housekeeping and inspectors to see. If Disney only does checks during normal business hours then a good criminal will know to keep their stuff hidden until the evening. If Disney were looking for arsenals they wouldn't be sending in housekeepers to hunt them down.

I think below are some good starts to them doing serious security and at the same time valuing the innocent guests who are staying there.

They could consult their counterparts at the other hotels that are handling things differently, swandolphin for instance, and I believe some said the universal hotels. I personally am not sure what the overall strategy is at the other non-Disney hotels but it doesn’t appear to be knocking or entering daily including sometimes after you first arrive when DND/RO signs are up.

Disney seems to me to be trying to up their security game for whatever their reasons are by mostly using what’s already in place, housekeeping, as the first line on this but not deviating from how they already do their HK rounds. Let’s get by with the least expensive approach and see if we can get by with that. Throw the spaghetti on the wall and see what sticks kind of thing. To me it’s not really a new strategy, it’s piggy packing housekeeping. Then and only then, if they can’t get in the room, start calling and send the “security” patrols in. Just my opinion and YRMV.

I believe several here have said installing more cameras at resorts and improve the monitoring system. We have cameras all over our neighborhood, and on our property. It’s amazing what gets noticed, reported on to other neighbors and acted upon. Daily. Hourly.

All good comments. :thumbsup2

Their counterparts in Orlando and even Las Vegas are not doing what they are doing. Why? Because likely Disney's problem is not a problem in other hotels. Likely Disney's problem has nothing to do with Las Vegas. I mean so many reports are at the values ... do we really think a shooter is going to hole up in a value resort? What is his vantage? He would be picked off quickly on a walkway. Maybe it's because the values cost less, are bigger and full of people moving about and rarely have any CMs walking around the resort. Great place for anonymity if you are doing something.

Trying to utilize employees that are already an employee to do the "observing" of "guests" is likely the cheapest option at this point. Effective? Not likely. But they obviously at this point don't care about any bad publicity, probably the opposite ... they'd rather this check might be a deterrent to those they are looking for. Maybe hopes if they don't spend anything, this process will work in short run and in the long run they can pull it back without spending any extra.

Cameras and monitoring room doors / locks would be huge plus in this situation. Cameras on each floor and walkway covering room doors in addition to software to monitor the doors opening and closing could help them narrow their focus to the rooms where they may be issues. THEN a real security guard monitoring sends a real security guard to flagged rooms. Having this also provides video proof.

I think it's funny how many people actually think there are cameras all over Disney. I was actually shocked when told by different CMs I knew that there are not, and especially not on rides. More likely there are sensors that trigger if you get off a ride. Disney probably knows more about you from your MB than any cameras.

So, to those who have stayed at Disney on site multiple times this year, has this policy been implemented better over time?

What have you noticed?

Welcome Home!

My experience in January was so bad that I moved offsite in April, am booked offsite this summer, am booked at POP in Sept but probably moving it offsite.

We were at the Boardwalk Villas for an entire week in January. Left in the morning, usually in the room between 1 and and 4 for naps. Never disturbed once while in the room.

I do not doubt that others have had different and/or negative experiences with this policy. But the policy has not had the completely negative impact that the first post of this thread attempts to imply.

We were at Caribbean Beach May 2 to 9. No issues at all. We met up with guests who were staying at Saratoga Springs and they didn’t notice any difference.

I have had three stays since the new policy implementation. Mid January for 4 nights at OKW, trash was removed before we returned from the parks everyday for naps but one. On that day shortly after returning to room there was a knock on door, followed by someone saying housekeeping. I answered the door, the 2 cast members stated they were here to empty trash, would now be a good time. They were in and out in less than 5 minutes.

Late February at BWV for a Festival of Arts visit for 5 days. Trash was removed everyday before we came back for our nap. No interaction at all.

Just back today from a 10 day trip that included 2 nights at VB and 8 nights at AKV Jambo House. Trash was emptied at Vero Beach while we were down at the beach. At AKV again, the trash was removed before returning from the parks. On our next to the last day, I remained in room all day because of a swollen ankle and put sign out when I took a shower at around 1pm. At 3 pm received a phone call from house keeping asking when it would be convenient for them to empty the trash, I told them now would be fine. They arrived within about 30 minutes, quickly emptied the trash and were gone.

I don’t find it disruptive or intrusive, and have no problem with the new policy.

We have been several times this year (and our oldest son and his girlfriend are there now). Nothing was any different from any previous trips. Never once had anyone knock when we were in the room. Our son and his girlfriend report the same.

Just returned yesterday from a stay at POR, 5/27 - 6/3. We were subjected to the room checks. We took the $10/night gift card offer for forgoing housekeeping so not sure if this is why? (Since housekeeping didn't come in our room.) We were there 7 nights and were only in the room during the day 2 of those days, the rest of our trip we were in the parks. One day we came back to take a nap during the middle of the day and someone knocked and did a room check during our nap. That was annoying an uncomfortable. The other time, my son came down with a 24/hour stomach bug during our trip so my hubby stayed in the room with him for the day while the rest of our family went to the parks. Hubby said a room check was done that day as well.

Last edited:
For me, the frustrating part is the room check does nothing. It would be more tolerable if the policy actually was going to prevent something. Glancing around a room does nothing but interrupt the no threat vacationer.

When I first heard about the policy, I thought it would be used for purposes of checking on roooms they thought had suspicious activity. That it would be a security official that would thoroughly check the room and person(s) in the room.

What Disney implemented is a waste.

For me, the frustrating part is the room check does nothing. It would be more tolerable if the policy actually was going to prevent something. Glancing around a room does nothing but interrupt the no threat vacationer.

When I first heard about the policy, I thought it would be used for purposes of checking on roooms they thought had suspicious activity. That it would be a security official that would thoroughly check the room and person(s) in the room.

That's why I call it "security theater"

I think that there had to be some sort of impetus, however I agree that without a trained security officer conducting the daily searches, it may be fruitless. Except to perhaps cover Disney in the event something untoward does occur. I do believe that with the World the way it is now, and the litigious society we live in, they may believe they had to implement some sort of policy.

......with the World the way it is now, and the litigious society we live in, they may believe they had to implement some sort of policy.

My issue is "at what price". I believe we are paying a huge price, by giving up our privacy and really not getting value from it. We are also paying a cost with the stress of "are we going to be interrupted" when we don't want to be? In other words we pay the price of having the room check at their convenience not ours. While I have heard occasions of Disney respecting our time, the implementation is not consistent.

Welcome Home!

My issue is "at what price". I believe we are paying a huge price, by giving up our privacy and really not getting value from it. We are also paying a cost with the stress of "are we going to be interrupted" when we don't want to be? In other words we pay the price of having the room check at their convenience not ours. While I have heard occasions of Disney respecting our time, the implementation is not consistent.

Welcome Home!

That's where it's up to Disney. As long as somebody buys the room, it costs them nothing. They don't care if it is you or someone else paying for it.

Welcome Home!

I don't think the 2 minutes it takes for them to check the room is much cost. And that is only if you refuse housekeeping.

It’s happening in DVC units too where there is no daily housekeeping so nothing to refuse, you get the daily trash check which you can’t turn down. Instances have been reported on another discussion board for DVC owners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter