An awesome deal...

...- just got to a really good one - dvorak's new world symphony.....great....one of my all time favorites...

My favorite Symphony #9 by Dvorak (New World) is the Houston Symphony under Eschenbach

http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/id137771945

There is a funny story to this recording, the 2nd trumpet player came down with the flu and they had to bring in a sub, who was the retired Principal Trumpet of the HSO and in the 4th movement you hear the most amazing, phat, 2nd trumpet in recorded symphony history. One of my favorites.

Stravinsky is awesome (ie Rite of Spring, Firebird, Petrushka)
Prokofiev is awesome ((ie Symphony #5 (Not to be confused with Mambo #5) Lt. Kiji ((from a Movie)))
Bartok is awesome (ie Conterto for Orchestra)
These are all 20th Century composers and uses styles that broke from Classicism and Romanticism. They did use Neo-Romanctic and Neo-Classical styles.

Antiquity - All music before 1400
Renaissance Period - Music from 1400 to 1720
Classical Period - Music from 1720 to 1820
Romantic Period - Music from 1820 to 1900
20th Century - Music from 1900 to, well today

Just Sayin....:rolleyes1 Now, where is my Leonard Nimoy autographed napkin with DNA?

bartok, prokofiev and stravinsky - all nails on a blackboard for me :eek: :eek:

Okay...I'm bowing out of this.

I was all excited about a cheap classical music collection and now we're talking about phat trumpeters and being heavy handed and neo-Romanticisim.

I know when I'm over my head,:thumbsup2

If this turns to talk of MGM musicals or Broadway...someone come get me.;)

My favorite Symphony #9 by Dvorak (New World) is the Houston Symphony under Eschenbach

http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/id137771945

There is a funny story to this recording, the 2nd trumpet player came down with the flu and they had to bring in a sub, who was the retired Principal Trumpet of the HSO and in the 4th movement you hear the most amazing, phat, 2nd trumpet in recorded syphony history. One of my favorites.

Ok, so it wasn't Vivaldi's Seasons I was thinking of. It was this piece about a river. Found it on youtube after googling "classical music river". LOL Google is the best! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlLPLO90fSk#

i'll check them both out as soon as i finish listening to the previews.
i'm still listening (it might take 24 hours just to listen to all the previews)..
i'm only on number 173 out of 316....

I was all excited about a cheap classical music collection and now we're talking about phat trumpeters and being heavy handed and neo-Romanticisim.

it's over my head too Kevin....i know what i like and that's about it... :goodvibes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZGi49Bnghs ok, ya pulled me in, this is my favorite piece, but dont tell nobody. Horowitz is a bit heavy handed at times and tends to get out in front of the piece. its still good

thanks for that!!!!
that is one of my favorites too....
my absolute favorite piece by Chopin!! wonderful!!

but i like this rendition of it much much much better:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsl7XDTBaJo&feature=related

rubinstein was really one of a kind....

Nothing like a bunch of classical music snobs sawing away about musical performances, neo-romantism and early 20th century "contemporary music" is there?

Kind of like a group of Disney-philes getting together and talking about Disney World.

Oh, never mind. :)

i will agree with you. it makes horowitz seem like a hack.

there are a few pianists who really take my breath away when i hear them play...
more than take my breath away.....
how lucky we are to have the internet to be able to experience it (not the same as hearing something like that live, but better than not seeing it at all)..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZGi49Bnghs ok, ya pulled me in, this is my favorite piece, but dont tell nobody. Horowitz is a bit heavy handed at times and tends to get out in front of the piece. its still good

Ok Dalton, you did say "heavy handed at times" but as a Horowitz ("hack"???) admirer I've got so say some of us Mahler lovers tend to like that kind of thing. So, while we are on the subject of Moscow performances, here is my defense of Horowitz: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq7ncjhSqtk

And how ironic to pick Chopin, he loved the bombastic.

I'll shut up now. I still have several more Mahler symphony scores (and horn parts) to download before dinner.

Just Sayin....:rolleyes1 Now, where is my Leonard Nimoy autographed napkin with DNA?

:lmao:

I am currently listening to the Wicked Soundtrack, does that count? :laughing:

I personally like the planets by Holst, and pieces of music that remind me of places or things in the past.

I am not a classical music buff at all, but I love the ability to use the internet to explore new music. We have something called Spotify in the UK, which allows you to stream music legally for free, almost any songs around, as long as you listen to an advert every 10 songs or so. It has changed the way I approach music, I am much more willing to try anything as I don't have to pay for it, and the range is outstanding (most Disney movie music, not the parks yet!).

I am also into Choral music (since I am in my university choir), so I have a large playlist of that too, including music I sing to remind myself!

Ok Dalton, you did say "heavy handed at times" but as a Horowitz ("hack"???) admirer I've got so say some of us Mahler lovers tend to like that kind of thing. So, while we are on the subject of Moscow performances, here is my defense of Horowitz: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq7ncjhSqtk

I'll shut up now. I still have several more Mahler symphony scores (and horn parts) to download before dinner.

beautiful - he's much better at that than the chopin...
he was a great pianist....but it's so odd they way he held his hands....really strange...but isn't it cool that we're able to see that on the internet...

Love Mahler 9, 6, 5, 4, 3, and 1 (Great Tuba parts!)

My favorite Carmina Burana performed by the Houston Symphony with Leopold Stokowski (Disney Tie-in) conducting. I am a bit biased because my College Tuba Teacher, the late Bill Rose, is playing in this recording. It sounds incredible even though they recorded it in the Sam Houston Coliseum which was also home to Houston Wrestling. It was recorded with a pair of Stereo Condensor Microphones and an early, high quality multitrack tape recorder. It still sounds amazing today even though it was recorded in 1955.

mzi.cxxnpjcy.170x170-75.jpg

I'm going to admit right up front that I know next to nothing about Classical music....but always wished I did, as I do enjoy it occasionally.

I was looking at iTunes and trying to find a "beginner's essentials" classical music CD that I'd enjoy and just found a deal that I think is pretty great.

The number one Album on the iTunes Classical music list is called 24 Hours of Classical Music - The Perfect Start to Your Collection.

It's 22 full albums by the most well known composers. There are 316 individual tracks and the cost is $9.99. That .03 cents a track.

I think thats a bargain.

As I said upfront.....I know very little about this subject and I'm pretty excited that I can get not only a bit of an education but a classical music library for 10 bucks.

Just thought you might be interested.

Thanks Kevin!

I really enjoy listening to classical music. You will have favorite composers after listening for a while. My favorite is Bach and Mozart. I love listening at work, in the car with heavy traffic, and gardening. I also heard that it calms the dogs in the house when fireworks are going off during the Fourth of July.

I wonder if Walter listens to it while he is gardening?

You should also try and get John to go with you to the local orchestra concerts. To hear classical music live is very relaxing and fun. I took my DH even though he had no interest and he enjoys going now too.

I'll be sure to pass this along to Sean. He loves classical. It puts me to sleep. ;)

You should also try and get John to go with you to the local orchestra concerts. To hear classical music live is very relaxing and fun. I took my DH even though he had no interest and he enjoys going now too.

If we are going to suggest Kevin drag John to an orchestra concert (and assuming there is no way to tie Resident Evil into it) then perhaps the opening adventure should be to an Orlando Phil Pops concert. There is usually a mix of musicals and "light" classical and it is a great way for a newcomer to experience music that is not too heavy or long.

In a "classical" concert, I always have great difficulty keeping myself awake during the obligatory piano concerto. My goal is simply not to snore too loudly.

If we are going to suggest Kevin drag John to an orchestra concert (and assuming there is no way to tie Resident Evil into it) then perhaps the opening adventure should be to an Orlando Phil Pops concert. There is usually a mix of musicals and "light" classical and it is a great way for a newcomer to experience music that is not too heavy or long.

In a "classical" concert, I always have great difficulty keeping myself awake during the obligatory piano concerto. My goal is simply not to snore too loudly.

This has been touring the country. A friend of mine was the Orchestra Manager for the Detroit Symphony and she turned me on to this (She is now in Baltimore with the Baltimore Symphony)

Distant Worlds: music from FINAL FANTASY
The "Distant Worlds: music from FINAL FANTASY" concert on December 12, 2009 at 8 p.m. at The Rosemont Theatre, will feature never before heard new works by the Japanese video game composer Nobuo Uematsu from the not yet released FINAL FANTASY XIV game. The premiere of the newly written Final Fantasy XIV music, performed by the Chicagoland Pops Orchestra, will pre-date the release of the video game and will give fans an exclusive opportunity to be the first to hear the music live and in concert. "We've never done anything like this before as we typically perform music after the release of each particular video game. The fans attending the Chicago concert will be the first to hear the music performed by over 100 performers, including a live orchestra and chorus, before hearing it on their computers when they play the game! This video game music sneak peak is an exciting new prospect that Square Enix Co.,Ltd.(Square Enix) has allowed us to present and should be a thrilling premiere for the fans and performers," said Arnie Roth, Music Director and Executive Producer, "Distant Worlds: music from FINAL FANTASY."
For more info about the game and to view a trailer for Final Fantasy XIV go to finalfantasyxiv.com
The 2.5-hour program produced by Nobuo Uematsu, Arnie Roth and AWR Music Productions, will be conducted by Grammy Award-winning Arnie Roth, Music Director and Principal Conductor of the Chicagoland Pops Orchestra. The exhilarating gala concert will feature a special guest performance by the composer Nobuo Uematsu, performing Advent: One Winged Angel live on stage with the premiere of the rock band The Chicago Mages. Recording artist Susan Calloway will join Distant Worlds as a featured soloist on new FINAL FANTASY pieces and the Elmhurst College Concert Choir will perform with the orchestra throughout the evening. The award-winning music from Square Enix's world-renowned FINAL FANTASY video game series and the state of the art videos and art stills shown on massive screens will highlight the games most memorable sequences.
"Our fans are eager to hear new works from the vast FINAL FANTASY catalogue of music scores that we haven't yet done on the tour, and we are performing a great selection of the concert tour favorites as well. Our gala concert that night will include a terrific balance of new material and fan favorites," Arnie Roth explained. The program highlights include the world premieres of J-E-N-O-V-A and Dancing Mad, new arrangements of Uematsu's music by Arnie Roth in collaboration with Nobuo Uematsu and these Chicago premieres: FINAL FANTASY VII Main Theme, The Man with the Machine Gun, Suteki da ne, Melodies of Life, Kiss Me Goodbye, FINAL FANTASY SERIES: Prelude, Victory Theme, and a great collection of favorites from the 2009 "Distant Worlds: music from FINAL FANTASY" tour!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter