• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

An awesome deal...

DisneyKevin

Kelvis
Super Moderator
I'm going to admit right up front that I know next to nothing about Classical music....but always wished I did, as I do enjoy it occasionally.

I was looking at iTunes and trying to find a "beginner's essentials" classical music CD that I'd enjoy and just found a deal that I think is pretty great.

The number one Album on the iTunes Classical music list is called 24 Hours of Classical Music - The Perfect Start to Your Collection.

It's 22 full albums by the most well known composers. There are 316 individual tracks and the cost is $9.99. That .03 cents a track.

I think thats a bargain.

As I said upfront.....I know very little about this subject and I'm pretty excited that I can get not only a bit of an education but a classical music library for 10 bucks.

Just thought you might be interested.

I just checked it out and it looks great! I signed up for a "Introduction to Music" class in college (1989) thinking it would be about Michael Jackson, Madonna, or NKOTB and was shocked to find out it was all about classical!! I ended up learning so much about it and finding a love for the music. We even had to go to a classical music symphony and I loved it! This really looks like a nice mix of some beautiful music!

BTW I just stopped at Harry & David and bought 4 types of the Wolferman's English Muffins (2 bags for $5.50!) and then stopped at the library bc my "Devil in the White City" had finally come in, LOL! Thanks for all your recommendations :thumbsup2

Holy crap, that is a good deal. I'm going to check it out! Time to become more cultured!

that is a bargain price. the reason is that the music industry is driven by the 12 to 29 demographic. you would pay 1.29 for one cut off the hot 100. demand is low for classical so it is cheaper. "old" guys like us are of no interest to that business.:rotfl2:

Thanks for posting this, Kevin!

I've been looking for some good classical music myself. I work in a cubicle farm and it can get very noisy and distracting so I use my iPod quite a lot in the office. Unfortunately, if I listen to podcasts or music I know well, I get drawn into the music/cast and don't work very efficiently. I think classical music might be the perfect solution for me but I wasn't sure where to start.

This will certainly help!

BTW, I think I am turning into a little mini-Kevin since I just got a Kindle, I'm about to order an Oberon cover, and I already swear by Wolferman's.

it's a good deal, but it seems to be missing some really basic masterpieces...
i can't see the full list of composers/works, but from what i'm able to see, it's missing some of what i personally can't live without when i'm listening - the pieces that bring me to tears (literally).....
on the other hand, there are quite a few that i can very easily do without (they cause me to grind my teeth after about 2 measures)....

but for $10, even if there are only a few pieces you enjoy, it's worth it i suppose...

i can't see the full list of composers/works, but from what i'm able to see, it's missing some of what i personally can't live without when i'm listening - the pieces that bring me to tears (literally).....
on the other hand, there are quite a few that i can very easily do without (they cause me to grind my teeth after about 2 measures)....

but for $10, even if there are only a few pieces you enjoy, it's worth it i suppose...
:rotfl2: and i mean that in the nicest way.

I dont think it professes to be encyclopedic.

By it's very title...it's a great start to your collection. At least that's how I look at it.

Have you ever looked at a "greatest hits collection" and thought....but where is....or...why didnt they include??????

For a novice like me, this is a great score.

:rotfl2: and i mean that in the nicest way.

i wasn't trying to be funny - i just meant that if someone wants to learn about classical music, this is nice but missing some really mindblowingly beautiful masterpieces...
and some of it might easily turn someone off....(i'm listening now to all of the previews...)

but i have very provincial taste when it comes to classical music (Beethoven, Mozart, Dvorak, Verdi, etc.), so my choices wouldn't necesssarily be what would be chosen by musicologists for a well rounded view of classical music...
(i'd rather shoot myself than listen to stravinsky, prokofiev, bartok, etc etc etc etc etc etc etc)

I dont think it professes to be encyclopedic.

By it's very title...it's a great start to your collection. At least that's how I look at it.

Have you ever looked at a "greatest hits collection" and thought....but where is....or...why didnt they include??????

For a novice like me, this is a great score.

enjoy!!! :goodvibes

i'm too limited in my tastes....i'm not willing to expand :sad2:
i'm one of those symphony goers that orchestras totally hate with a passion - all i want to hear is beethoven :goodvibes
kind of stuck in my ways....i'll listen to la traviata over and over and over and over....in a word, i am boring.... :eek:

that and golden oldies.... ;)

I just checked it out and it looks great! I signed up for a "Introduction to Music" class in college (1989) thinking it would be about Michael Jackson, Madonna, or NKOTB and was shocked to find out it was all about classical!!....

All of us Music Majors in college called that class "Snoring to Music." But I must confess, I am a Classical music snob. There, I said it. That is the first step in the 12 step program to admitting I am a Classical Music Addict. I am now a friend of Wolfgang.

All of us Music Majors in college called that class "Snoring to Music." But I must confess, I am a Classical music snob. There, I said it. That is the first step in the 12 step program to admitting I am a Classical Music Addict. I am now a friend of Wolfgang.

LOL I was a psych major thinking I could get 3 easy credits bc I thought it was about the current music. Imagine my surprise when we had to listen to a piece and name the kind of instrument being played :scared1: I do remember listening to Pachelbel's Canon in that class - which I still love despite it being used in so many commercials, a piece I think was called "Seasons"? That was so beautiful and then Bach's little Fugue. Those are the ones that stick out in my head.... now literally 20 years later!! :eek:

"snoring to music" :lmao: hysterical!!!

i'm not an addict - i listen to classical music every now and then...though golden oldies get a lot more of my attention...
i used to have a subscription to the philharmonic, but i haven't been in years..
they play too many things i'm not willing to sit and listen to...(the aforementioned russians, for example)...

although i will admit i love opera - though again, i'm not willing to expand my horizons there either (it's got to be la traviata, magic flute, barber of seville, marriage of figaro, etc - you get the idea)...

changing the subject...i'm still listening to the previews of Kevin's collection - just got to a really good one - dvorak's new world symphony.....great....one of my all time favorites...

I am far from an expert on classical music, but I enjoy listening to classical music on Pandora radio. I've been able to create my own channel that I really enjoy.

It's great background music at work.

i wasn't trying to be funny - i just meant that if someone wants to learn about classical music, this is nice but missing some really mindblowingly beautiful masterpieces...
and some of it might easily turn someone off....(i'm listening now to all of the previews...)

but i have very provincial taste when it comes to classical music (Beethoven, Mozart, Dvorak, Verdi, etc.), so my choices wouldn't necesssarily be what would be chosen by musicologists for a well rounded view of classical music...
(i'd rather shoot myself than listen to stravinsky, prokofiev, bartok, etc etc etc etc etc etc etc)

Stravinsky is awesome (ie Rite of Spring, Firebird, Petrushka)
Prokofiev is awesome ((ie Symphony #5 (Not to be confused with Mambo #5) Lt. Kiji ((from a Movie)))
Bartok is awesome (ie Conterto for Orchestra)
These are all 20th Century composers and uses styles that broke from Classicism and Romanticism. They did use Neo-Romanctic and Neo-Classical styles.

Antiquity - All music before 1400
Renaissance Period - Music from 1400 to 1720
Classical Period - Music from 1720 to 1820
Romantic Period - Music from 1820 to 1900
20th Century - Music from 1900 to, well today

Just Sayin....:rolleyes1 Now, where is my Leonard Nimoy autographed napkin with DNA?

I'm flattered...but had nothing to do with this other then mentioning that I thought it was a bargain.

I'd love to be able to take more credit.

i'm still listening....it's interesting what they've included..
i never took a musicology course (i took piano for 14 years, but never a proper music appreciation sort of course), so i have no idea what would be considered a 'well rounded' collection...

i'll admit that for most of it, the previews are enough for me ;)

whatever i'm listening to right now is nice...something by grieg...there's a lot here by him...i'm not at all familiar with his work..

well, perhaps what i should do is go take one of those snoring to music adult ed classes....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter