• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

An awesome deal...

If we are going to suggest Kevin drag John to an orchestra concert (and assuming there is no way to tie Resident Evil into it) then perhaps the opening adventure should be to an Orlando Phil Pops concert. There is usually a mix of musicals and "light" classical and it is a great way for a newcomer to experience music that is not too heavy or long.

In a "classical" concert, I always have great difficulty keeping myself awake during the obligatory piano concerto. My goal is simply not to snore too loudly.

Maybe your snoring is the "The Mating Call of the Blue Glyphwing":rotfl2:

Sorry I couldn't help myself:)

Music is to each his own. Bach created Rock!:rolleyes1

Okay...I'm bowing out of this.

I was all excited about a cheap classical music collection and now we're talking about phat trumpeters and being heavy handed and neo-Romanticisim.

I know when I'm over my head,:thumbsup2

If this turns to talk of MGM musicals or Broadway...someone come get me.;)
Kevin, I was watching Show Boat this morning. Love Howard Keller as Gaylord Ravenal. But the 1936 version of Show Boat is still my favorite especially when they expanded the rolls of Queenie and Joe with the duet of Ah Still Suits Me. If someone wants a magical recording of Show Boat, I would check this CD/download out, SHOW BOAT It has an amazing cast: The late Jerry Hadley, Frederica Von Stade, Paige O'Hara (Disney tie-in, Belle from Beauty and the Beast)

I am currently listening to the Wicked Soundtrack, does that count? :laughing:

Love that soundtrack! (It is at this point that my DW says to me "Are you sure that you are straight?") :rotfl2:

I personally like the planets by Holst, and pieces of music that remind me of places or things in the past.

Hands down the best recording of the Planets is Montreal under Dutoit

Second is LA Philharmonic under Zubin Mehta

Love the Planets. One fo the few Symphonic pieces that features the Euphonium.

Hands down the best recording of the Planets is Montreal under Dutoit

Second is LA Philharmonic under Zubin Mehta

Love the Planets. One fo the few Symphonic pieces that features the Euphonium.

Funny, I am ambivalent about recordings of The Planets other than the Tomita version. I enjoy Holst's band music much more than The Planets.

I am particularly impressed with the recent Dallas Wind Symphony recording of Percy Grainger works. It has a few occasional pitch issues but what recording doesn't. I seem to "rediscover" Grainger every five years - his arrangements keep getting better as I get older.

Funny, I am ambivalent about recordings of The Planets other than the Tomita version. I enjoy Holst's band music much more than The Planets.

I am particularly impressed with the recent Dallas Wind Symphony recording of Percy Grainger works. It has a few occasional pitch issues but what recording doesn't. I seem to "rediscover" Grainger every five years - his arrangements keep getting better as I get older.

I am partial to the University of Houston recordings of Grainger works (Those were some interesting recording sessions)

Univeristy of Houston Wind Ensemble The Music of Percy Grainger, Vol. I

Univeristy of Houston Wind Ensemble The Music of Percy Grainger, Vol. II

Univeristy of Houston Wind Ensemble The Music of Percy Grainger, Vol. III (Marching Song of Democracy is amazing!)

There is no way I am biased though (Principal Tuba UHWE 92-97).

that is a bargain price. the reason is that the music industry is driven by the 12 to 29 demographic. you would pay 1.29 for one cut off the hot 100. demand is low for classical so it is cheaper. "old" guys like us are of no interest to that business.:rotfl2:

Well, its not really demand... All of those pieces are public domain. You don't have to pay royalties on most or all of it to a writer, composer, etc.

I'm going to admit right up front that I know next to nothing about Classical music....but always wished I did, as I do enjoy it occasionally.

I was looking at iTunes and trying to find a "beginner's essentials" classical music CD that I'd enjoy and just found a deal that I think is pretty great.

The number one Album on the iTunes Classical music list is called 24 Hours of Classical Music - The Perfect Start to Your Collection.

It's 22 full albums by the most well known composers. There are 316 individual tracks and the cost is $9.99. That .03 cents a track.

I think thats a bargain.

As I said upfront.....I know very little about this subject and I'm pretty excited that I can get not only a bit of an education but a classical music library for 10 bucks.

Just thought you might be interested.

Am I the only one who finds it amusing the Album is $10 but the songs are still 99 cents each?

Still love my Musicals, though!!
143940_the_pajama_game_posters.jpg

Well, its not really demand... All of those pieces are public domain. You don't have to pay royalties on most or all of it to a writer, composer, etc.
trust me if people were falling all over each other to get that stuff it would not be priced as it is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter