Americans and Canadians culture Q&A Thread.

Happy Victoria day, unofficial kick off to summer weekend to all who are celebrating or observing! 🇨🇦🇬🇧😊

It’s a beautiful warm sunny morning here at the marina, it’s a nice change to the cooler wet weekends that usually accompany this first long weekend of the summer. I’m enjoying the sun, the breeze and my coffee on the balcony and I am in no rush to move…

It’s good to finally be free of covid restrictions to celebrate as we choose! The last 2 years have served to remind me to not take anything for granted - even if it’s just a late day bbq with family & friends.
Have a wonderful weekend All!

To our American friends.. your turn next weekend! 😉
Memorial Day weekend weather is looking great so far. :-)

Happy Victoria day, unofficial kick off to summer weekend to all who are celebrating or observing! 🇨🇦🇬🇧😊

It’s a beautiful warm sunny morning here at the marina, it’s a nice change to the cooler wet weekends that usually accompany this first long weekend of the summer. I’m enjoying the sun, the breeze and my coffee on the balcony and I am in no rush to move…

It’s good to finally be free of covid restrictions to celebrate as we choose! The last 2 years have served to remind me to not take anything for granted - even if it’s just a late day bbq with family & friends.
Have a wonderful weekend All!

To our American friends.. your turn next weekend! 😉
Do you guys still call yourselves subjects of the crown? 🤔:rolleyes1

Do you guys still call yourselves subjects of the crown? 🤔:rolleyes1
Officially we are members of the British commonwealth, with many Canadians beginning to question the taxpayer expense in keeping the Monarchy for a largely ceremonial position. My lineage is rooted in the UK… My paternal grandparents came to Canada from Scotland and Wales after the First World War. I have a soft spot for the Royals and the traditions because of what they brought with them 🙂

You know how they say don’t speak too soon… well, just after 1pm our beautiful summer day took a wild turn. The storm that hit us came packing 90km per hour sustained winds (gusting to 130km 😳) heavy rain, crazy lightening, thunder, hail and just for good measure - a region wide power outage!

It was moving at a good clip and passed quickly. Lots and lots of widespread damage… power expected to be out til 7pm at earliest 😡

But my family has all checked in and all is well, they are safe and none of us experienced any significant damage. #Blessed!

:wave2:Happy Victoria Day everybody! princess: Funny how it is called several different things, depending on where you live. @prairie_girl tells us in Manitoba it's mostly called "The May Long". Here everybody pretty much still refers to it as Victoria Day. Various Commonwealth countries have versions of it (2nd Saturday in June in Great Britain, 2nd Monday in June in Australia) and it is considered QEII's "official" birthday, even though she was actually born in April.

Here the Queen's Birthday part is not such a big deal; there are no public events or any traditional way of celebrating. It's the first long weekend of the summer season though and it's party time - hence the 2-4 beer reference. :laughing: A lot of people here make their first camping foray of the year too, which is actually a really dumb thing to do. More often than not it's still freezing overnight and snow is a common occurrence. It was cold and rainy/snow showers all this past week and it's currently -2C but is supposed to smarten up just a little over the weekend. Very typical May weather.

View attachment 670676

A mention by @ronandannette? It must be my lucky day lol

:love2:

Yes, several, but most of them involve gun crime/gun control and why your President isn't empowered to do anything other than wring his hands, but that's probably out-of-bounds for this forum.
Any non political questions. If you want answers to your original one, I would suggest reading and watching our national media and newspapers.

That's what leads me to have the questions.
I don’t know how much you study our history but if you research our constitution, bill of rights, and separation of power it may answer your questions. I can’t go into details here and I’m sorry for that. If you watch Liberty’s Kids on YouTube, it may help you understand part of our culture.:-)

I don’t know how much you study our history but if you research our constitution, bill of rights, and separation of power it may answer your questions. I can’t go into details here and I’m sorry for that. If you watch Liberty’s Kids on YouTube, it may help you understand part of our culture.:-)

We understand it, we just don’t get it. Sorry for speaking on your behalf, @ronandannette

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter